Spurs/Cavs/Magic

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Airgordon00
Junior
And1: 173

Spurs/Cavs/Magic 

Post#1 » by Airgordon00 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yxlsj5yf

Spurs in: Kevin Love and Mo Bamba.

Cavs in: Lamarcus Aldridge, Evan Fournier and Orlando’s lottery protected first in 2020.

Magic in: Lonnie Walker, Jacob Poeitl and Jr. Smith.

Spurs get a floor spacing Pf in Love and a potential stretch 5 in Bamba who can protect the rim effectively with that 7’10” wingspan. This would open up some driving lanes for Derozan and Murray.

Cavs get 2 solid vets who can help the young guys grow and get better. Plus they get a first rd pick to help build their assets for the future.

Magic get a young dynamic scorer in walker and get a solid big in Poeitl to solidify the bench. Plus they get out of Fournier’s contract which helps the books in the future. Magic can either wave JR or use him as trade bait for the deadline.

Thoughts? Fair value?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Re: Spurs/Cavs/Magic 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 pm

As a Magic fan I don’t love it. I understand the $$$ but I think Evan has a bounce back year and Bamba is a more valuable chip for a more significant move. Is Walker really better than Evan?
Airgordon00
Junior
And1: 173

Post#3 » by Airgordon00 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Skybox wrote:As a Magic fan I don’t love it. I understand the $$$ but I think Evan has a bounce back year and Bamba is a more valuable chip for a more significant move. Is Walker really better than Evan?

I agree. I think Evan is due to bounce back this year but I really believe Lonnie Walker will be a more dynamic scorer going forward than Fournier. Plus I think he would fit in nicely with our young core.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#4 » by Mykhyn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Easy no for Spurs. Lonnie Walker >>> Mo Bamba and LMA >>> Love

Then we're adding Poeltl? Such an easy no. Magic steal an absurd amount of value here.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#5 » by DROB27 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:12 pm

The spurs would never swap love for LMA and wouldn’t trade their best young piece in the same deal
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#6 » by orlando_joe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 pm

a first mo and evan? no magic wont do that...I hope not...summer league does not make you a star
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#7 » by phraoh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 pm

LMA is much older than Love and yes injuries have been a problem for Love but when he plays he is a better shooter, rebounder and passer than LMA
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by DROB27 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:23 pm

phraoh wrote:LMA is much older than Love and yes injuries have been a problem for Love but when he plays he is a better shooter, rebounder and passer than LMA

He’s also awful on defense .
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,077

Post#9 » by axeman23 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 pm

DROB27 wrote:
phraoh wrote:LMA is much older than Love and yes injuries have been a problem for Love but when he plays he is a better shooter, rebounder and passer than LMA

Cavs have defense abounding at the other front-court slot. They need Love's shooting/scoring more than more defense.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#10 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 pm

DROB27 wrote:

Love's defense has been getting exaggerated so much on this forum that he's actually becoming underrated on defense. We get it he's not a great defender, but he's not as bad as everyone is acting.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:42 pm

The Cavs aren't touching this. The Love/LMA swap would be a non-starter for the Cavs. That aside, a rebuilding team is not going back into the repeater tax for a protected first. JR will get cut before the Cavs eat a contract like Fournier for that type of pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#12 » by Chinook » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:42 am

Aldridge is better than Love.

In general, I don't even understand why anyone would think the Spurs do this. Trade their best prospect for what is at best a modest upgrade at PF? No. Just no. Not even counting Poeltl here. No. I even like Mo more than a lot of people do. But he hasn't been good enough to close what seems like a major value gap here.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#13 » by phraoh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:43 am

I think Spurs fans are wrong...really think their FO would do this trade in a second. Actually doubt that Cleveland or Orlando FO would do this trade. Fournier's contract is not a negative to me at all...17mill for I think 2 seasons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:54 am

phraoh wrote:I think Spurs fans are wrong...really think their FO would do this trade in a second. Actually doubt that Cleveland or Orlando FO would do this trade. Fournier's contract is not a negative to me at all...17mill for I think 2 seasons.
Orlando would 100% do this trade. They're cap is jacked up after stretching Mozgov and re-signing both Vuc and Ross. They still don't have a sure-fire starting PG and Bamba is injured again.

The problem is that the Cavs have drafted four guards in the first round over the past two seasons and aren't willing to re-enter the tax for a lotto protected 1st.

I also agree that LMA makes zero sense for the Cavs given where they're at, and for a multitude of reasons they would not view a LMA for Love swap as a win.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DROB27
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by DROB27 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:23 pm

phraoh wrote:I think Spurs fans are wrong...really think their FO would do this trade in a second. Actually doubt that Cleveland or Orlando FO would do this trade. Fournier's contract is not a negative to me at all...17mill for I think 2 seasons.

No they wouldn’t lol they are extremely high on Walker.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#16 » by Mykhyn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Spurs wouldn't touch either part of this trade. Cavs wouldn't touch this trade either because they don't get any incentive to go in the repeater tax. This trade was made for Orlando with no consideration for the other teams involved.

Fournier is a complete negative. 17mil for below replacement level player who has never been even close to positive on defense.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#17 » by orlando_joe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Orlando would 100% do this trade. They're cap is jacked up after stretching Mozgov and re-signing both Vuc and Ross. They still don't have a sure-fire starting PG and Bamba is injured again.

The problem is that the Cavs have drafted four guards in the first round over the past two seasons and aren't willing to re-enter the tax for a lotto protected 1st.

I also agree that LMA makes zero sense for the Cavs given where they're at, and for a multitude of reasons they would not view a LMA for Love swap as a win.

magic will 100% do this..lol
it solves nothing still over cap cant add anything..its just bad I would say as magic fan 90% would not.. wont put no 100% but its just bad ..I don't think magic front office looks at Fournier as neg at all..plus add a pick in teens and mo..crazy 100%..now if you said pick alone for walker..maybe..i mean a 2nd yr sg picked in teens against non drafted and g league players has a couple good games ?
Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#18 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

wut?
1. How are the magic cap jacked? We have tons of players on totally reasonable deals. Vuc & Gordon, our best players and highest paid, are both on descending contracts.
2. We have a Augustin who is totally reasonable and Fultz is a wildcard & potentially elite (or non-existent) PG. It's actually not that bad
3. Bamba isn't "hurt" in a debilitating way. It's summer league and he was just held out. They never intended on playing him through all of it.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#19 » by Chinook » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 pm

The Spurs' FO is way more conservative than their fan base. They definitely would NOT do this trade. They tend to think of trades as huge events because they consider their players as people more than employees. A guy has to really not be working out or really want to move on for them to deal him. If Portland were the ones LMA was set to go, that would be another matter, since he seems inclined to return there at some point. But they aren't a franchise that shuffles deck chairs ... even when those chairs badly need reshuffling.

And "bleep" no they wouldn't trade Walker. I think it's just stubbornness to believe PATFO would move their best player AND best prospect for a lateral move and a guy with major bust potential.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Chinook wrote:

The Spurs' FO is way more conservative than their fan base. They definitely would NOT do this trade. They tend to think of trades as huge events because they consider their players as people more than employees. A guy has to really not be working out or really want to move on for them to deal him. If Portland were the ones LMA was set to go, that would be another matter, since he seems inclined to return there at some point. But they aren't a franchise that shuffles deck chairs ... even when those chairs badly need reshuffling.

And "bleep" no they wouldn't trade Walker. I think it's just stubbornness to believe PATFO would move their best player AND best prospect for a lateral move and a guy with major bust potential.

you know your front office better than I do.

but when did Walker become some great star? killing it in summer league doesnt mean anything. Josh Hart was a SL MVP and couldnt grab a starting role. I dont think the top-4 in scoring 3 years ago even made an NBA team.

Return to Trades and Transactions