ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1221 » by Great » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 am

I’m sure Paul would give up 20 mill in a buyout that last year to play on a contender.

Or... in two years the Hornets are...contenders.
Batum expires. Rozier is expiring.

That 1st round pick is player.

Hornets need a new organizational aura:

Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#1222 » by Lwcasu » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 am

Rich4114 wrote:So what happens if we traded for CP3 and got a first round pick in the process, but then he decided to retire after say the 2021 season? Then that’s not a bad deal for us. The cap space next off season is useless to us and if we could land an extra pick for taking that salary on then it’s something to consider especially if we don’t see him continuing to play through the end of his deal.

Quit making sense lol. Pretty sure the main reason most of the people who are anti CP3, are anti CP3 because they want a solid tank and the young guys getting as much playing time as possible.

Of course you’ll hear all the other points, for example, his contract sucks, he’s too old, he’ll ruin our development (this is valid), Rozier isn’t getting 19 to back him up (they could hypothetically start tgt).

What it comes down to is some people want a solid tank to land a star or two.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#1223 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 am

Hey guys first time post and long-time lurker on these forums. Been a hornets fan for a long time now. I would just like to say though that while it took some time for me getting over Kemba's departure and all the great moments he had as a Hornet, I'm truly excited about this upcoming season. I mean, we'll more than likely suck but its a better feeling compared to what I had going into last season. I was a die hard fan during the bobcats era too and losing Gerald Wallace hurt. I feel more content with the situation we are in today though compared to when we lost Wallace. I felt like all we had when we lost Wallace was Hendo pretty much. After losing Kemba, our roster is loaded with a lot more youth with tons of potential. So yea, I'm one for not wanting to sign Chris Paul but if it meant bringing in some first round pick(s) then sure, why not. Still don't want to take playing time away from the young guys though. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. We are off the treadmill now and I'm excited to see if any if these guys can break out and become the next multi-allstar representing the Charlotte Hornets.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1224 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 pm

You know, so many of us want Steven Adams but I would be somewhat surprised if he doesn't end up on the Raptors. He's a workhorse and that's the profile their GM covets and targets.

I like the idea of developing PJ as a 4-5 but I really believe Kupchak should be thinking long term about a young center who fits this group. Maybe that is Drummond. Maybe now that we're not currently a threat to a fringe playoff spot and with Drummond likely to opt out, the Piston's asking price will soften. I think last year the rumor was Monk + a lotto pick. Detroit won't pay Drummond long term again but instead will build around Blake Griffin. Maybe Chris Paul makes sense there, teaming up with Blake again.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#1225 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 pm

The Pistons will want a younger point guard. If Rozier shows out he'll have a lot of value to them.

I'd rather the team draft and develop a big, but I wouldn't say no to Drummond if he came cheaply.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1226 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:10 pm

LofJ wrote:The Pistons will want a younger point guard. If Rozier shows out he'll have a lot of value to them.

I'd rather the team draft and develop a big, but I wouldn't say no to Drummond if he came cheaply.

The following deal benefits everybody. OKC saves 7 million in cap. OKC improves 2 teams (Hornets + Pistons) competing with the Heat, increasing the potential value of the 2 Heat picks OKC owns. Pistons reunite Paul + Griffin and make the playoffs the next 2 years. Pistons avoid a long term contract to Drummond by getting Adams for 2 years. Hornets get a young center to anchor this new group.

Hornets
Drummond (opt out likely)
Snell (2 years)

Pistons
Paul (4 years)
Adams (2 years)

Thunder
Jackson (expiring)
Galloway (expiring)
Biz (expiring)
Cody (2 years)
Hornets top 20 protected
Cavs 2nd via Hornets
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1227 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:13 pm

New lineup

Rozier - Graham
Monk - Snell
Bacon - Batum
Miles - PJ - MKG
Drummond - PJ - Hernangomez
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM

Post#1228 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Including a 1st is too much for me considering where the team is at. If we're willing to do that I'd want someone locked up longer-term like Sabonis.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1229 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 pm

LofJ wrote:Including a 1st is too much for me considering where the team is at. If we're willing to do that I'd want someone locked up longer-term like Sabonis.

Not for me. Drummond is the best rebounder in the game, especially on the offensive end. I just picture him gobbling up misses from a very inefficient squad where the majority of shots are coming from Rozier (below 40% FG) and Monk (we know the story, no need to rehash). Drummond is also a fast breaker and strong in transition - fits with the entire core Rozier - Monk - Bacon - Miles - PJ. Buzz City will be Lob City. And for many years.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1230 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Also, Pacers will not make Sabonis available. He's a keeper. Whereas Drummond doesn't mesh with Blake and Blake is entrenched in Detroit.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1231 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Rozier - Monk - Bacon - Miles - PJ - Drummond. That's got some sting to it. Plus there will be capspace in 2 years. By then this group should be a machine under JB.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1232 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Also you take out Monk and that group is a rebounding machine.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1233 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:37 pm

And with Monk is their spacing any worse than the championship Raptors team? I think it's comparable.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1234 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Also, I think the Raptors proved you can win with balance and don't necessarily need to be star studded and top heavy. If you have a strong coach and scheme, you can win. The fact they walked from Kemba leads me to think they would not at all cling to Chris Paul. The offense will diversify and not be so leveraged by one man on the floor.
It has been written...
Great
Bench Warmer

Post#1235 » by Great » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 pm

The Hornets didn’t walk away from Kemba.
They offered, he accepted someone else’s offer.

Kemba...Walked.

Trading these expirings to open roster spots should soon be upon us.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1236 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Great wrote:The Hornets didn’t walk away from Kemba.
They offered, he accepted someone else’s offer.

Kemba...Walked.

Trading these expirings to open roster spots should soon be upon us.

Kupchak stated MJ would only be willing to go into the tax if it meant advancing past the first round. They determined paying Kemba market value and going into the tax would not be worth it. And yes, with the money being close, Kemba chose a winning situation. But I believe the front office could have fought harder to keep Kemba. They just walked because they assessed a topped out group.
It has been written...
Great
Bench Warmer

Post#1237 » by Great » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Kemba had a choice.
Kemba Walked away from Charlotte. Exactly.
Trading for roster space on deck.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1238 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Great wrote:Kemba had a choice.
Kemba Walked away from Charlotte. Exactly.
Trading for roster space on deck.

Kemba's choice was informed by the bid the front office chose to make, after realizing no GM wants our junk.
It has been written...
Great
Bench Warmer

Post#1239 » by Great » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm

I agree, Kemba Walked.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#1240 » by LofJ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:19 pm

We would have traded Kemba if not for Michael Jordan. Kemba would have played for the Cavaliers or the Mavericks last season.

Return to Charlotte Hornets