ImageImageImageImageImage

Anthony Davis Thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Re: Anthony Davis Thread 

Post#21 » by Rosque » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:16 pm

"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#22 » by TwoStarz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Never been a big Anthony Davis fan and I've been pretty vocal around here about that. Funny how things workout sometimes. Lebron James and Anthony Davis are lakers. The pressure will be on. Lets see if Davis can actually contribute to wins unlike his empty seasons in new orleans. I wanna see it before I believe it. I'll be rooting for the purple and gold, don't disappoint "king" of empty stats.
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Anthony Davis -uninterested in playing Center 

Post#23 » by tv24lakers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:02 am

As Anthony Davis expresses in his conference, he clearly prefers to play power forward. While this is not revelatory I wanted to share this footage for those that continue to dismiss his opposition to playing Center.

For your curtesy the link below directs you to the referenced press conference. I believe it’s approximately 13:30 minutes in when he and Rob speak to the position topic.

Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Re: Anthony Davis -uninterested in playing Center 

Post#24 » by Freighttrain » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am

He always said he doesn't want to play the 5, but I feel like come playoff time, the Lakers best line-up will proably be AD at the 5. I get it tough. Banging for 82 games with centers who's only job is to make them feel u isn't the greatest prospect to have if you want to be a dominant force for the next 10 years. Play Javale & Boogie at center during the regular season but in those important moments, he'll be the 5.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#25 » by Slava » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 am

Given the current composition of the roster, it wouldn't surprise me if he is the second ball handler alongside LeBron. Both Davis and Cousins can rebound and bring the ball up the floor so it would make sense to have a 5 who can chase offensive boards like McGee.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#26 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:43 am

If he can play center or not is not the issue. AD can be dominant at any position from 1-5. For real.

The question is how to BEST utilize him. To afford the luxury of having him play PF and not have to bang down low... Depending on matchup and DMC’s health, I’m fine starting either him or JMG to allow AD to be our stretch four and whatever he wants to do.

I’d start JMG. This is why.

Can JMG dominate second units on offense? No. Can DMC? Yes. Can JMG do a top notch job defending starting centers? Absolutely. When healthy last season he was one of the better defensive centers in the league. Can DMC defend starting centers well? Yes, but I’d rather see a second unit that continues the offensive production when our starters sit. Feed the ball to cousins and he’ll get buckets all night against second units. You can’t rely on getting that from JMG. Javale starts. Cousins will get 20PPG off the bench if we want him to.

And, arguing that AD should play center is like saying we should put a snow plow on our Rolls Royce, not very bright.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#27 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:42 pm

If AD wants to play the 4 then let him play the 4 at the start of the season. See if Cousins or McGee could handle that C spot. If both fail then that is the only time you let play AD play the C. By this time he would definitely understand why he needs to play that position. On the other hand, if Cousins / McGee is capable of playing the 5 along with AD in the 4 then it's a good news for us. It's either we will be a nightmare at the interior offensively or defensively.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#28 » by TKainZero » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 pm

All I can think of is that Game of Zones episode...

“And can I play PF even though I’m obviously a center”

“Of course”
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#29 » by milesfides » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 pm

It just depends on matchups, but I wouldn’t want him to play five for most of the season either. It’ll save him a lot of wear and tear if he’s cruising against stretch fours while providing weak side help.

I’m guessing our close out lineup will be AD Lebron Green Bradley Caruso
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#30 » by Kilroy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Clearly, based on all the stats, and the eye test, Davis isn't a 5... So this is good.

Do we really want a 5 that has no post game?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,097

Post#31 » by jigga_man » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 pm

This will only become an issue if it becomes clear to the coaching staff that Kuzma is way too good enough to be coming off the bench. And even in this scenario, AD prob woudn't mind.

Regardless, there are two starting quality centers with McGee & Cousins.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#32 » by Dmagic » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm

tv24lakers wrote:As Anthony Davis expresses in his conference, he clearly prefers to play power forward. While this is not revelatory I wanted to share this footage for those that continue to dismiss his opposition to playing Center.

For your curtesy the link below directs you to the referenced press conference. I believe it’s approximately 13:30 minutes in when he and Rob speak to the position topic.

prefers to play the 4 ..in no way means not interested in playing the 5....way to put your own spin on it....all these haters...is this normal? hating ass dudes...losers in real life...Lets go lakers..i recognize greatness lebron...and im a Omagic fan too...Lets go...cant wait to smear all this hate in yalls face after next season...boom..i said it too...ill put this roster up against anybody
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#33 » by lazybatman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Kilroy wrote:Clearly, based on all the stats, and the eye test, Davis isn't a 5... So this is good.

Exactly
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#34 » by nzahir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Kilroy wrote:Clearly, based on all the stats, and the eye test, Davis isn't a 5... So this is good.

No post game??

So how does he score? His mid range past 2 seasons has been an avg 36%, was like 41 or 42% though a few seasons back, hoping he gets back there
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#35 » by Slava » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 pm

nzahir wrote:

No post game??

So how does he score? His mid range past 2 seasons has been an avg 36%, was like 41 or 42% though a few seasons back, hoping he gets back there

He's better facing up than posting up and he has guard skills for a big man, that's how he scores.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#36 » by iamworthy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Look at his post play grade.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#37 » by thebigbird » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:41 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Look at his post play grade.

Fwiw it looks like last year was an outlier in that category. In 2017/2018 he was an A in post play, interior defense, and roll gravity.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#38 » by Kilroy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:21 pm

The only reason I can think of for why guys would be emotionally invested in Davis playing the 5, is because they want Kuzma to start... Ok, but do you really want you're best player and future of the franchise, playing a position he doesn't want to play and is less effective at, just so Kuzma can start?

Davis is a hell of a 4... This is a good thing, guys.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#39 » by dockingsched » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 pm

lazybatman wrote:

Exactly

Don’t think a team who featured the post game of their center has won a title since like Andre Bynum / Pau Gasol.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#40 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:00 am

"Anthony Davis is the most accomplished player LeBron has ever played with, this side of Wade..."

Can someone point out the flaw in this statement... Leaving Team USA out of it.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers