What should we do if Dray declines the 4/100 extension

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Re: What should we do if Dray declines the 4/100 extension 

Post#41 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:04 pm

CalGTR wrote:
statsman wrote:The finals run may be ending, but it will definitely end when Draymond is no longer on the squad. I guess it comes down to when you want the team to start rebuilding. All of the talk about Giannis coming to the Warriors in 2021 is annoying as f*ck. Like the other 29 teams in the league are going to sit around and not make a play themselves.

I'm pretty sure everybody understands that Giannis would have to chose the W's as an initial hurdle. Even then, we'd have to acquire him through sign-and-trade (unless we ditch two max players in trades to teams with cap space, which seems unlikely). It's natural to look forward to free agency down the road to consider the possibilities. I guarantee the front office is thinking about it. If Giannis chose the W's, it'll get done. That's a big IF, of course.

Sigh....STOP...SOOOO annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#42 » by CalGTR » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:58 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
CalGTR wrote:
statsman wrote:The finals run may be ending, but it will definitely end when Draymond is no longer on the squad. I guess it comes down to when you want the team to start rebuilding. All of the talk about Giannis coming to the Warriors in 2021 is annoying as f*ck. Like the other 29 teams in the league are going to sit around and not make a play themselves.

I'm pretty sure everybody understands that Giannis would have to chose the W's as an initial hurdle. Even then, we'd have to acquire him through sign-and-trade (unless we ditch two max players in trades to teams with cap space, which seems unlikely). It's natural to look forward to free agency down the road to consider the possibilities. I guarantee the front office is thinking about it. If Giannis chose the W's, it'll get done. That's a big IF, of course.

Sigh....STOP...SOOOO annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe

Yeah, I'm perfectly content watching the team as currently constituted - it's going to be a very interesting period in W's history. I'm betting our still-intact core of Curry/Klay/Dray and accumulated pieces can get the W's back to conference finals/competing for titles mode as early as this coming season. It's a young team, for sure, but when Klay returns to form the core rotation will be very good with plenty of veteran presence. Nobody is going to want to face the W's in the playoffs, regardless of seeding.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Mylie10 wrote:You trade Draymond and the championship window slams shut.

probably slams shut if you pay him the max too.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#44 » by likashing » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:

If we pay him max I guess we will still be a playoff team and as the big 3 ages, become more like a 6-8 seed playoff team in the West.

Not championship material. But I could be a lot worse - see Dallas and Dirk after they broke up the champ team.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#45 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 pm

likashing wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

If we pay him max I guess we will still be a playoff team and as the big 3 ages, become more like a 6-8 seed playoff team in the West.

Not championship material. But I could be a lot worse - see Dallas and Dirk after they broke up the champ team.

im not ok with 'just being another PO team'...if we pay Dray the max we effectively shut down our window

im okay with the 4/100 I think that's a good deal, anything more and it's not a good investment. his game is not gonna age well at all.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#46 » by OptionZero » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:48 pm

As we saw this year, sign and trades are still available, but not ideal

I think it's hard to move him given the lack of a reliable replacement. If you trade him this season, you're just punting the season entirely and you should put Curry on ice. There's already a big hole on defense, without Dray you're bbq chicken. Would guarantee we keep our pick too (we need to finish out side of the top 10)

Let him play out the season. There's alot that can happen, and i dont see an obvious trade partner thats gonna make it worth our while.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#47 » by cpower » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:i'd explore trading Draymond for either Bobby Portis or Otto Porter. Both are excellent 3 pt shooters and defenders. Porter is more of a SF but i think he can be utilized as a small ball 4. He's 6'8, and draymond's only 6'7. If we use the TPE on a midseason trade, we can absorb more incoming salary than what we send out right. So draymond+tpe for Porter maybe? Or maybe we can extract Kevin Knox and Bobby Portis for Draymond? :)

With the hard cap, the Warriors have to take back an equal or less amount of salary as they send out.

maybe Draymond for Portis+1st rder or Portis+Kevin Knox from Knicks..really like Portis, 6'11 40% 3 pt shooter good defender and rebounder. would fit right next to WCS and can switch to center if we go small.

We are not looking for long term youth we are looking for giving ourselves the best chance to win now. Draymond could be traded but only for players like Giannis Gobert or AD s caliber
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#48 » by Samurai » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 pm

cpower wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
With the hard cap, the Warriors have to take back an equal or less amount of salary as they send out.

maybe Draymond for Portis+1st rder or Portis+Kevin Knox from Knicks..really like Portis, 6'11 40% 3 pt shooter good defender and rebounder. would fit right next to WCS and can switch to center if we go small.

We are not looking for long term youth we are looking for giving ourselves the best chance to win now. Draymond could be traded but only for players like Giannis Gobert or AD s caliber

In other words, Draymond won't be traded.
cpower
RealGM

Post#49 » by cpower » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Samurai wrote:
cpower wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:

In other words, Draymond won't be traded.

I guess. Hard to replace a player who is making top 10 impact for us.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#50 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Go with the youth movement
Trade Draymond for Aaron Gordon.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#51 » by HiRez » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 pm

Bayside wrote:I just don't want to have a year like last year with unfinished business hanging over the team and a bunch of drama. I really liked the maturity he showed at the end of the year. He said all the right things. Slimmed down. Was excellent all around.

He was out of shape for most of the season (the RS still counts, and being out of shape increases injury risk), his shooting was horrendous, by all accounts exacerbated the KD situation by making it very public and very personal, and he was (again!) just 1 technical away from missing a game in the Finals.

I have a lot of love and respect for Draymond, but he’s got flaws and those should be factored into negotiations.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#52 » by likashing » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 am

clyde21 wrote:
likashing wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

im not ok with 'just being another PO team'...if we pay Dray the max we effectively shut down our window

im okay with the 4/100 I think that's a good deal, anything more and it's not a good investment. his game is not gonna age well at all.

Sure. Just saying be careful what you wish for though.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#53 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:23 am

Sometimes I can't stand sports fans.
cpower
RealGM

Post#54 » by cpower » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 am

HiRez wrote:
Bayside wrote:I just don't want to have a year like last year with unfinished business hanging over the team and a bunch of drama. I really liked the maturity he showed at the end of the year. He said all the right things. Slimmed down. Was excellent all around.

He was out of shape for most of the season (the RS still counts, and being out of shape increases injury risk), his shooting was horrendous, by all accounts exacerbated the KD situation by making it very public and very personal, and he was (again!) just 1 technical away from missing a game in the Finals.

I have a lot of love and respect for Draymond, but he’s got flaws and those should be factored into negotiations.

We can live with his flaws
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#55 » by CalGTR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 am

Serious question for those who claim we shouldn't pay Dray the max. What good does that do us, to not pay him? What difference does it make whether he makes $10 mil or $25 mil? We're over the cap either way. We're limited by rule to adding to the team only by trade (in which case having a bigger salary slot on board doesn't hurt - allows us to hunt more/bigger assets) or by signing free agents to minimum deals or via use of the mid-level exception. Or via the draft, of course. I can't see how Dray's salary negatively impacts our ability to compete. Losing him definitely impacts our ability to compete, unless you can find a trade that will yield you a player that will contribute to winning at least as much as Dray does (and, as mentioned, tying up a larger salary slot widens the window of who can be targeted in a trade). So, what's the downside to maxing out Dray (assuming ownership is willing to eat the salary and luxury tax)? What am I missing, if anything?
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#56 » by Bayside » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:30 am

Well just thinking about CP3 and Westbrook right now. If he starts to decline and his value declines and has perceived bad contract you will se Wiggins proposals and such. There has to be someone willing to be a trade partner.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#57 » by likashing » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Ben Simmons extended. Noel and Morris fired Rich. With the Lakers’ roster mostly set, I expect we will find out about Draymond’s plan soon.

With the recent firings, maybe Draymond will think twice when Rich tells him he get him max offers next summer.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#58 » by statsman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm

likashing wrote:Ben Simmons extended. Noel and Morris fired Rich. With the Lakers’ roster mostly set, I expect we will find out about Draymond’s plan soon.

With the recent firings, maybe Draymond will think twice when Rich tells him he get him max offers next summer.

Pretty much everyone will state that Draymond doesn't deserve a 30% max contract from any team next offseason.

With the cap expected to be around $116M for 2020-21, that's 4/150 from any team other than the Warriors. $40M in the final season.

With the Warriors, it's 4/156 ($43M final) or 5/202 ($46M final). If he qualifies for the Supermax, that's 5/235 ($54M final).

At the same time, it is believed that free agency will be rather sparse at the top next offseason, so what would Draymond actually get from a team going nowhere with a ton of cap space?

Hard to believe Draymond would sign the 4/100 extension.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#59 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Yeah it depends on the cap situation next summer too.

Who are you going to sign and trade for Draymond?

Or which free agent could the Warriors sign next summer that they otherwise couldn't if they pay Draymond above a certain figure?

It's not a strong FA class in 2020.

So is there an all-star or DPOY candidate who'd help the team as much in the 2020-21 season and beyond?

Or are we just assuming his game is going to decline starting this upcoming season and continuing?

If he stinks it up next year, he's not going to have too many offers for anywhere near the max, so the problem kind of takes care of itself. Warriors can walk away at that point -- again, who could they sign instead, because there aren't too many appealing FAs next July.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#60 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

statsman wrote:
likashing wrote:Ben Simmons extended. Noel and Morris fired Rich. With the Lakers’ roster mostly set, I expect we will find out about Draymond’s plan soon.

Pretty much everyone will state that Draymond doesn't deserve a 30% max contract from any team next offseason.

With the cap expected to be around $116M for 2020-21, that's 4/150 from any team other than the Warriors. $40M in the final season.

With the Warriors, it's 4/156 ($43M final) or 5/202 ($46M final). If he qualifies for the Supermax, that's 5/235 ($54M final).

At the same time, it is believed that free agency will be rather sparse at the top next offseason, so what would Draymond actually get from a team going nowhere with a ton of cap space?

Hard to believe Draymond would sign the 4/100 extension.

We should have a poll about the number at which the Warriors should re-sign him. Maybe around the total number that Klay just got.

Return to Golden State Warriors