The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#221 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Some people talk about how White should've been the pick because we needed a true PG, but is White really that much better of a facilitator than Culver?

White: 4.1 apg to 2.7 tpg
Culver: 3.7 apg to 2.7 tpg

Their offensive ratings were very close this season (110.6 to 108.7), but their defensive ratings are what separates the two (98.9 to 86.7).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#222 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm

"The focus of our move there is we have to add top-end talent to our program. The reality is we identified five players that we felt like were strong at the front of this draft. We looked at every opportunity to move up. There were some openings at 4, 5, 6 and 7. We were fortunate that at the end of the day the best opportunity for us to move up was to get up to 6. We gambled a bit, Jarrett was one of our five guys and we were fortunate he was there....For us, adding a piece of talent at that level was worth a really good player in Saric." -Gersson Rosas (2:11)

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#223 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Jedzz wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote: That seems like the plan all along. Either for Dlo or someone else, in August.
Culver is not getting traded.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Is this like one of those positive affirmation things where you just keep saying it and hope that's enough for the universe of connected matter to hear you and make it so?

Just please don't get angry with me about it. I'm just saying the signs seem to point to such a thing. A clear decision not to allow him to play Summer League at all cemented the thought in my head when before it was just a "I hope not" scenario to me.

It's also possible they saw Zion hurt his knee already and said forget that for Culver! I might be wrong. If you want me to list the other couple signs I see that have me thinking they are open to moving him, just let me know.

I would hope we get to see him play some before he's ever moved. Just so we can make up our own dumb minds before the decision is made by the FO. Knowing the great hyped Zion / Barret pair could bust could leave Culver as a possibility for being one of the greats remembered from this draft. Just don't want him to end up yet another of those that we had access to that a different team got because we were foolish. He has yet to display the shooting level necessary to become one of those but you never know.
The signs point to no such thing.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#224 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:31 am

Im hoping he’ll become the next Brandon Roy

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,130

Post#225 » by Calinks » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 am

_AIJ_ wrote:Im hoping he’ll become the next Brandon Roy

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Would be absolutely incredible if Culver could be a new Brandon Roy. That alone would make a playoff push possible.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#226 » by dred926 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 am

one thing you can say aobut this kid is he has the work ethic to be better kinda like ja morant ... those are blue chip guys who were unknown as freshmen but were studs during their sophomore season.

I really want to move wiggins and make this guy the core with roco and towns.

If we can get a decent pf maybe kevin love on a 3 team thread with the raptors..

Wiggins end up in raptors .... we get kevin love back. and toronto sends og and powell to cavs...
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#227 » by King Ken » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a big fan, I been pretty down on him. I liken him to Evan Turner. But what I like is his passing potential as he is a great decision maker. Not that he is advanced but his decision making is legit. His biggest gift is his off the ball movement speed and feel. He looks like Reggie Miller in movement. I think that's something to build on honestly. Other than that, he's gonna take sometime.

His shooting development is his most critical need. It's the difference between a good #3/#4 option and a legit menace and multiple time all star and potential HOF. His floor is higher than Turner just due to his decision making and movement alone.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 pm

King Ken wrote:His shooting development is his most critical need. It's the difference between a good #3/#4 option and a legit menace and multiple time all star and potential HOF. His floor is higher than Turner just due to his decision making and movement alone.

Does this do anything to ease your concern?

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#229 » by minimus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
King Ken wrote:His shooting development is his most critical need. It's the difference between a good #3/#4 option and a legit menace and multiple time all star and potential HOF. His floor is higher than Turner just due to his decision making and movement alone.

Read on Twitter

I take this as foundation for consistent jumpshot. However it is clear that top NBA wings should have one motion shot.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#230 » by King Ken » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Klomp wrote:

Read on Twitter

Not at all. He going to have to quicken up that release when you don't have elite or excellent first step. It's his gather that takes the most time. I really think he should model his game and film study after Reggie Miller.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#231 » by Jedzz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Not hanging my hat on no pressure practice shooting.

dred926
Senior

Post#232 » by dred926 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:41 am

I wonder why there was no introduction to the press of Culver almost all lottery picks have been introduce by their respective teams... whats up with that?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:47 am

dred926 wrote:I wonder why there was no introduction to the press of Culver almost all lottery picks have been introduce by their respective teams... whats up with that?

The trade wasn't official until summer league. By that point, most of the team and a number of media were in Vegas.

dred926
Senior

Post#234 » by dred926 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 am

Klomp wrote:
dred926 wrote:I wonder why there was no introduction to the press of Culver almost all lottery picks have been introduce by their respective teams... whats up with that?

The trade wasn't official until summer league. By that point, most of the team and a number of media were in Vegas.

I understand well its justa bummer that there isnt a post conference for him ... maybe not coming at all ... Hachimura had one i guess thats an exception since he is representing a country that made history for being the first Japanese tobe drafted in the lottery.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#235 » by wildvikeswolves » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 am

Jedzz wrote:Not hanging my hat on no pressure practice shooting.

Culver at least has a past history of of being a good 3 point shooter his freshman year shooting 38%
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#236 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 am

dred926 wrote:I understand well its justa bummer that there isnt a post conference for him ... maybe not coming at all ... Hachimura had one i guess thats an exception since he is representing a country that made history for being the first Japanese tobe drafted in the lottery.

He did do the press conference I posted above, but that's probably it until training camp.

Hachimura isn't an exception because of being from Japan. He was able to do the sitdown in Washington because he was officially on the team on draft night. Had we stayed at 11, we probably would've had one the next day too.

dred926
Senior

Post#237 » by dred926 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:51 am

I wonder why people doubts Culver's work ethic.. IF anything he was like a lot of superstars in this league that were unknown to be this good at this age... Kid develop from a starter to a superstar in his team and led his team to the finals .

This draft is not really about 2 guys.. even a kid like Hero and NAW could be really good.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 850

Post#238 » by Dalvin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

Culver reminds me of Oladipo in that they're both gym rats. I won't be surprised if he takes time to really shine as a player, but his work ethic alone will make him a good player
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#239 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 pm

wildvikeswolves wrote:

Culver at least has a past history of of being a good 3 point shooter his freshman year shooting 38%

Yes that is nice to know it's possible. I personally wouldn't have drafted anyone that hasn't already shown an ability to get over .400 given our shooting needs. But 38% one of his years does show something. Picked at our original #11 spot (supposedly a reach) was Cameron Johnson with a college line of 56/46/82 last year. He averaged 40.5 percent from 3 in college slipping to as low as .341 in one year to highs of .415 and .457 in other years. Shows there was inconsistency during his college development, but his final year was his highest. Contrast with Culver's final season last year of 53/30/70, or the freshman year of 51/38/65. Johnson obviously had more years to develop and showed a lot of improvement over his time. Free Throw shooting might be a concern from Culver if he can't get that into 80s. Hoping he can.

I'm just going to wait for games and to see someone guarding him. I think all these practice sessions like this should be followed with a string of guarded shots in practice. Would be great to see both.

I think there is an opportunity for instance with the Wolves now, they have Okogie. Use Okogie in practice to really pressure these guys on shots. Practice closer to how you'll play. Would be great to see multiple Wolves players with an improved shot consistency for once.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#240 » by Killboard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Jedzz wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:

Yes that is nice to know it's possible. I personally wouldn't have drafted anyone that hasn't already shown an ability to get over .400 given our shooting needs. But 38% one of his years does show something. Picked at our original #11 spot (supposedly a reach) was Cameron Johnson with a college line of 56/46/82 last year. He averaged 40.5 percent from 3 in college slipping to as low as .341 in one year to highs of .415 and .457 in other years. Shows there was inconsistency during his college development, but his final year was his highest. Contrast with Culver's final season last year of 53/30/70, or the freshman year of 51/38/65. Johnson obviously had more years to develop and showed a lot of improvement over his time. Free Throw shooting might be a concern from Culver if he can't get that into 80s. Hoping he can.

I'm just going to wait for games and to see someone guarding him. I think all these practice sessions like this should be followed with a string of guarded shots in practice. Would be great to see both.

I think there is an opportunity for instance with the Wolves now, they have Okogie. Use Okogie in practice to really pressure these guys on shots. Practice closer to how you'll play. Would be great to see multiple Wolves players with an improved shot consistency for once.

Johnson is a very good shooter. He is 23 YO though and had an average USG% of 19.6 in college.
Culver was at 32.2% last season. Not really comparable how they created their shots:

44.9% of Culver 3pt attempts last season were unassisted.
7.3% of Cam Johnson 3pt attemps last season were unassisted.

Culver freshman season only 3.6% of his 3's were unassisted and averaged 38%.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves