Let's set a world on fire

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Let's set a world on fire 

Post#1 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y658benm

DEN out: Millsap, Barton, Beasley, Juancho, Harris, (picks to WAS)
DEN in: Griffin, Beal

DET out: Griffin, Maker, (2nd round picks to WAS?)
DET in: Millsap, Barton, Beasley

WAS out: Beal
WAS in: Harris, Juancho, Maker

Why for Denver: They maximize on young talent they don't have time for, and get superstars to pair with Jokic and Murray

Why for WAS: They get a bit younger SG instead of beal, and two young guys on SF/PF positions and some picks I guess

Why for Detroit: They get out of paying Griffin his contract by taking on Millsap exp one(do they want to do that?), get young SG that needs minutes and when given shown that he could be maybe even better than Harris, and get Barton who they can give minutes to raise his value and get some picks back

Who should add to this trade? Denver would go to pay huge taxes next year, but, is it worth it? To be legit contender for few years?
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Re: Let's set a world on fire 

Post#2 » by CAE15 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am

This is pretty bad for Pistons and Wizards. Not close to Beal's value. Not even Porter or Morris or Grant going out and they net Beal and Griffin? Nah

Pistons are getting off Blake's contract but what does Millsap do to that team? Not much.

Nuggets obviously say yes. Missing picks and upside players. Maybe focusing on Griffin with a similar package can make sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:13 am

Why are the Pistons the team giving up picks?

To clear cap? We're 2 years away from basically having a clean sheet

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#4 » by CoachD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm

This is horrible.

Great for the Pistons and terrible for everyone else
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Not a big fan of this for the Nuggets - but I wouldn't object too much. Griffin probably isn't worth the salary, but Beal is one of two SGs that I'd take ahead of Gary Harris.

If I were the Pistons, I'd have to debate over this one: should I laugh before I hang up or wait until after I hang up?

It seems unlikely that the Wizards want to trade Beal but Harris is a decent replacement plus they add a nice backup stretch forward and Maker (not sure what he's worth though). If I were the Wizards, I'd have to say no.

Perhaps Denver could be convinced to add a 1st and/or some seconds, and maybe that placates Washington; but I just don't see any way Detroit wants to be involved in this deal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#6 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm

No homerism cover up attempt was made here lol.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 pm

CoachD wrote:This is horrible.

I think it's great for Denver and horrible for everyone else. Harris and Beasely have positive value on their own but once you add Barton and Milsap, that's a pretty neutral package.

Blake is the second best player in the trade and the Pistons are adding picks to move him.

In any event, there's no way the Wizards move Beal for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#8 » by TGW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:46 pm

wtf is a juancho?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,053

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:30 pm

At this point in their respective careers, Hernangomez and Maker aren't worth much, if anything on the open market. On the right team, they might be worth a 2nd rounder in value, or two. Combined, though, they aren't worth a 1st in any way, shape, or form.

For Washington, they're asked to downgrade from Beal to Harris (which, while Harris is a really nice player, Beal is just much better overall) for role playing salary filler. Denver doesn't have the draft capital to change this really, as they can't deal a 1st until 2022 (I'm pretty darned sure they'll not be in the top 10 of the draft this next year and convey to OKC for Grant), and can't convey a 2nd until 2023.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#10 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

If you want to trade Millsap and pieces for Griffin, that could make some sense for both teams if you get those pieces right. But keep Beal out of this. Beal for Harris is a joke. Heck, Beal for Murray is a joke.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#11 » by donkeylips » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:27 pm

If the wizards were to trade beal, they would easily get a better package.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#12 » by Alatan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Apart from this being a laughable offer for either player, we would be left with Zero defense on the team. Jokic and Griffin are a bad fit and Beal and Murray give diminishing returns.

If you proposed something like Murray + for Beal id be all for it but this is an unrealistic trade leading to a badly balanced roster with lots of big names.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,762

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Why are the Pistons the team giving up picks?

To clear cap? We're 2 years away from basically having a clean sheet

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

I’m in favor of moving Blake but it shouldn’t cost us picks.

If we can’t GET positive assets for him (maybe we can’t) then just keep him.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#14 » by CoachD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
CoachD wrote:This is horrible.

I think it's great for Denver and horrible for everyone else. Harris and Beasely have positive value on their own but once you add Barton and Milsap, that's a pretty neutral package.

Blake is the second best player in the trade and the Pistons are adding picks to move him.

In any event, there's no way the Wizards move Beal for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Sorry I meant to say, great for Denver....

My bad
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,765

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm

I really don't understand how you can honestly use the following as reasoning for a team to do a trade.

get Barton who they can give minutes to raise his value and get some picks back

The amount of hoops you need to step through to utilize this one point as a cornerstone for the Detroit Pistons shows that it isnt a good addition in the first place.

Second, who the hell is giving picks for Barton? lol.

As for the abomination revolving around the Wizards part of the deal, "getting a younger" SG whom is 1 year younger doesn't move the needle given the catastrophic gap in play of Harris (Whom I like) and Beal. To add insult to injury you cap off the leaching from Washington with, and I quote...

two young guys on SF/PF positions and some picks I guess

Juancho will be 24 at seasons beginning and has proven to be nothing more than a 15-20 minute bench player with a low ceiling. Thon Maker resembled a Samuel Dalembert clone last season who picked up a basketball for the first time at the age of 17.

If it is 2+ Unprotected picks going to Washington then I will retract everything I said for Washington, but the fact remains you dont specify the picks making this deal DEAD.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Colbinii wrote:<clip>
As for the abomination revolving around the Wizards part of the deal, "getting a younger" SG whom is 1 year younger doesn't move the needle given the catastrophic gap in play of Harris (Whom I like) and Beal. To add insult to injury you cap off the leaching from Washington with, and I quote...

Juancho will be 24 at seasons beginning and has proven to be nothing more than a 15-20 minute bench player with a low ceiling. Thon Maker resembled a Samuel Dalembert clone last season who picked up a basketball for the first time at the age of 17.

I get you on Maker - not sure of how to value him. He has the length, etc. but I'm not seeing great value.

But Hernangomez's biggest problem isn't his skill (not saying you are wrong though), it's the number of injuries that have left him unable to play. It's hard to develop consistency if you can't play. If I recall it was injury, disease, injury.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,765

Post#17 » by Colbinii » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Colbinii wrote:<clip>

I get you on Maker - not sure of how to value him. He has the length, etc. but I'm not seeing great value.

But Hernangomez's biggest problem isn't his skill (not saying you are wrong though), it's the number of injuries that have left him unable to play. It's hard to develop consistency if you can't play. If I recall it was injury, disease, injury.

I wont refute that but in turn missing 3 offseasons is going to lower a players ceiling no matter how you slice it.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to Trades and Transactions