ImageImageImageImageImage

Kuz has been working with a private shooting coach

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Re: Kuz has been working with a private shooting coach 

Post#61 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:42 am

Rosque wrote:Kuzma is not a Small Forward. Any post that has him pinned as small forward is immediately discarded as having completely invalid opinion on everything mention in that post.

Phil Jackson disagrees with you. Is he invalid, too? “If you have a size advantage at every position, you have an advantage at every position.” Interview after beating the Spurs in a hard fought series eons ago.

We can’t be cowards, we have to be the aggressor. Go big, force the league to react.

Like Kerr did when he went small. Use the noggin. Think, change the game. Following is for followers. Lakers are not a sheep organization.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#62 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:35 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Rosque wrote:Kuzma is not a Small Forward. Any post that has him pinned as small forward is immediately discarded as having completely invalid opinion on everything mention in that post.

Phil Jackson disagrees with you. Is he invalid, too? “If you have a size advantage at every position, you have an advantage at every position.” Interview after beating the Spurs in a hard fought series eons ago.

We can’t be cowards, we have to be the aggressor. Go big, force the league to react.

Like Kerr did when he went small. Use the noggin. Think, change the game. Following is for followers. Lakers are not a sheep organization.

For me, Kuz can thrive as a SF and we should capitalize on that. He has range and decent speed for that position. I feel that if we play him at PF at this point then we are giving up an advantage in size and length.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#63 » by Rosque » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Giving up advantage in size and length when you have 6'8 LeBron commanding 35-ish SF minutes is horrendous statement. Not like Kuz is 6'4. He's 6'9 with 7' wingspan. AD who's playing the PF spot for 35-ish minutes is 6'10 with 7'5 wingspan. Are we REALLY giving up advantage in size and length? I think we are using that size and length alongside the speed that these players have compared to traditional PFs like Horford, Millsap, Thadeus Young, Bobby Portis etc to really defeat them. Kuz is not good defensively, lacks defensive IQ, poor lateral quickness to defend SFs. You really want to have Kuz defend PG13, Kawhi, Giannis, KD, Gay, Jimmy Butler? He's as strong as they are but not as quick. He can bang with Millsap, Young, Portis etc but he's much much quicker than they are and can use his quickness to punish them offensively and can use his speed to recover when he misses rotations and bites for fakes or just closes out poorly.

Also, Phil's idea of basketball style has not aged properly as seen by his tenure with the lolKnicks, sorry. His only good decision was to draft KP.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:14 pm

Rosque wrote:Giving up advantage in size and length when you have 6'8 LeBron commanding 35-ish SF minutes is horrendous statement. Not like Kuz is 6'4. He's 6'9 with 7' wingspan. AD who's playing the PF spot for 35-ish minutes is 6'10 with 7'5 wingspan. Are we REALLY giving up advantage in size and length? I think we are using that size and length alongside the speed that these players have compared to traditional PFs like Horford, Millsap, Thadeus Young, Bobby Portis etc to really defeat them. Kuz is not good defensively, lacks defensive IQ, poor lateral quickness to defend SFs. You really want to have Kuz defend PG13, Kawhi, Giannis, KD, Gay, Jimmy Butler? He's as strong as they are but not as quick. He can bang with Millsap, Young, Portis etc but he's much much quicker than they are and can use his quickness to punish them offensively and can use his speed to recover when he misses rotations and bites for fakes or just closes out poorly.

Also, Phil's idea of basketball style has not aged properly as seen by his tenure with the lolKnicks, sorry. His only good decision was to draft KP.

You’re preaching to the choir. I love that type of player. You’re missing the rest of the point. Who said anything about giving up size? I’m saying multiply the potency of the LBJ at point plan. Go all out, go huge. Make the league react, force them to. Be bold. Like Steve Kerr did going small.

Are you saying the zen mastery of Phil Jackson expired? His zen warfare strategies informed by everything from Genghis Khan to Churchill and his philosophies are anchored in a great range of timeless proven truths. His philosophies surely is part of what gave Kerr the courage to go small. Here’s one of them truths: The Aggressor usually wins. That’s strategy, not X and O. Eleven rings.

Go huge. Change the face of the league. That is what being the strategic aggressor means. Balls out, vision, anticipation. Attack.

Your completely missing Kuzma’s potential and IQ but since there is no crystal ball, let’s revisit sometime around ASB. Don’t be shocked if his defense is quite significantly better than you’d thought possible. Let’s re-visit.

Watch the last ten or so games of last season. He has a junk yard daaaawg in him. Surprised you missed it. Watch him shove LBJ in the back to go get his man on defense. Kuz doesn’t back down to anyone, works out like a mad man, takes private defense lessons from MWP this summer. He means business. This is his third season. He’s our third best player.

Btw, this is why I’m thrilled that we drafted two players in the mold of whom we both seem to want. Caroline (6’7” rebounding freak and pesky strong defender), and Cacok might become a PJ Tucker type if you ask me. I hope we get to see them and THT in garbage time.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#65 » by Ball so hard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Rosque wrote:Giving up advantage in size and length when you have 6'8 LeBron commanding 35-ish SF minutes is horrendous statement. Not like Kuz is 6'4. He's 6'9 with 7' wingspan. AD who's playing the PF spot for 35-ish minutes is 6'10 with 7'5 wingspan. Are we REALLY giving up advantage in size and length? I think we are using that size and length alongside the speed that these players have compared to traditional PFs like Horford, Millsap, Thadeus Young, Bobby Portis etc to really defeat them. Kuz is not good defensively, lacks defensive IQ, poor lateral quickness to defend SFs. You really want to have Kuz defend PG13, Kawhi, Giannis, KD, Gay, Jimmy Butler? He's as strong as they are but not as quick. He can bang with Millsap, Young, Portis etc but he's much much quicker than they are and can use his quickness to punish them offensively and can use his speed to recover when he misses rotations and bites for fakes or just closes out poorly.

I don't like Kuz at the 3 either. However, neither Kawhi nor Butler are very quick... Kuz's lateral quickness is on par with these two. Vogel mentioned he'd like to see Kuz get better on the defensive end... perhaps he can make Kuz a competent defender at the 3.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#66 » by NBAWestFan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Its about time.

Any body getting paid the way NBA Players do should have shooting coaches.

How about a individual Defense Coach too.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,462

Post#67 » by dockingsched » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#68 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Ok, now it's getting to be a bit much... We get it, Kuz is your client, and he's working hard on jump shots...
A slow mo clip a week of shirtless Kuz shooting jumpers is frankly, a little weird.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#69 » by Landsberger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 am

Yeah.... this is how the kids work hard in today's "look at me" world I guess. I'll take this over slo-motion videos outside a club in vegas....
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#70 » by iamworthy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:37 am

Dude is just trying to get more clients. I'm not mad.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#71 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:45 am

allegedly it had a nice impact on KCP 2nd half of the season
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#72 » by ShaqFu » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 am

Who tf is this shooting coach? I remember Dwight in Orlando working with Olympic shooting coach Ed Palubinskas on free throw shooting over a whole summer and Dwight didn't change a thing in terms of better shooting percentage.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 am

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#74 » by kblo247 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:42 am

Melo is a great mentor to learn from if you are Kuz. Even has a similar background of growing up in the inner city and rags to riches. I f he become what Melo was in Denver or Team USA lord thats a hell of a player.

Also I think Melo would be smart to position himself in these pickup games and the World Cup overall. It's the perfect last memory for him if he joined Team USA and led them to gold since he is kinda the GOAT Olympic player. Plus if all those same young guys and coaches see him mentoring he may get a camp invite somewhere.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#75 » by Landsberger » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:25 am

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Some revisionist history going on.... Melo was a flat out punk early in his career. Punching a player being held and then running and grabbing Sasha by the neck headline a long list of really shady behavior. While they have a similar background they do not have similar "professional" actions.

I grew up in the crap part of Atlanta and lived outdoors for several months between foster homes.... I didn't grab anyone by the next at my professional job....
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#76 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:11 am

Feel like this is more about Melo trying to find a job, than it is about Kuz getting better... Like I'm not sure who's helping who more here. :)
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#77 » by iamworthy » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:03 pm

Yo, I'm tired of seeing kuz pop up on Twitter!! :lol:
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 64

Post#78 » by AGAVE » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:01 pm

just a thought...
I can see KKuzma & DGreen being double team help for AD;
switching between KL and PG.
KL & PG are my gauges for how they team together all year long.

Kuzma definitely fit working with LbJ
Now he has more help inside; actually being the helper.

Gonna be a fun year
Respect Elgin Baylor
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:56 am

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#80 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:31 am

dockingsched wrote:

He better hurry up and get that left leg covered in random tats...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers