Felicio for Waiters and 5m in unmarked bills

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Felicio for Waiters and 5m in unmarked bills 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Simple trade.

Felicio for Waiters and cash (lots of it).

Chicago gets a guy who might produce more, and their guard rotation looks weak to me, while their moves suggest they are trying to win some games. Miami spends all their cash limit to get under the tax, and shave off 5m next year in salary.

In essence, Chicago goes from Felicio to Waiters for 4m in cost over two years (9m in salary difference - 5m in cash).
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Re: Felicio for Waiters and 5m in unmarked bills 

Post#2 » by gom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:57 pm

That doesn't get Miami under the tax. It just buys Miami more space beneath the apron. I agree tight now the extra cash would help them, but that hampers Miami's cap space the next year.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
HartfordWhalers

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm

gom wrote:That doesn't get Miami under the tax. It just buys Miami more space beneath the apron. I agree tight now the extra cash would help them, but that hampers Miami's cap space the next year.

How far above the tax do you have Miami?

And I don't understand how shaving 5m in salary next year hurts Miami, it would seem to clearly help.
gom

Post#4 » by gom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:07 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
gom wrote:That doesn't get Miami under the tax. It just buys Miami more space beneath the apron. I agree tight now the extra cash would help them, but that hampers Miami's cap space the next year.

And I don't understand how shaving 5m in salary next year hurts Miami, it would seem to clearly help.

Your deal saves $3,943,500 this season and $4,921,000 this season. It's a good deal, but it doesn't solve Miami's problem.
They have $137.1m in salaries and dead cap. $132m is the luxury tax line. They need to do more.
HartfordWhalers

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:10 pm

gom wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Your deal saves $3,943,500 this season and $4,921,000 this season. It's a good deal, but it doesn't solve Miami's problem.
They have $137.1m in salaries and dead cap. $132m is the luxury tax line. They need to do more.

I still don't get the comment about making next year worse.

But going with your numbers (I have others) this fixes 80% of the problem... isn't that better than not fixing that 80%? I hear this complaint occasionally -- my team needs 10 things so I won't accept 6 of them -- and I don't really understand it at all.
gom

Post#6 » by gom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:15 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
gom wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

But going with your numbers (I have others) this fixes 80% of the problem... isn't that better than not fixing that 80%? I hear this complaint occasionally -- my team needs 10 things so I won't accept 6 of them -- and I don't really understand it at all.

If Miami cannot deal Waiters for an expiring, I prefer Waiters (even at a higher salary) to Felicio, who won't really have a role to play at all. I actually think there is a decent chance Waiters starts for Miami this season: Winslow/Waiters/Butler/Olynyk/Adebayo is my guess actually. Felicio would be behind Olynyk, James Johnson, and maybe even Duncan Robinson & KZ Okpala (though I expect Okpala to start in Sioux Falls).

If at the trade deadline this deal is available, then I can see it more likely (assuming Miami hasn't done anything else). Next offseason Waiters as an expiring may be easier to move than Felicio, because (a) he'll have had more minutes and (b) might have improved. Lot of mights there though.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

gom wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Smitty has them less than $4m over the tax, and Pincus at BBallInsiders has them $2.3m over the tax. Pincus is missing KZ signing, but which other moves are they missing?

Otherwise, would there be other moves possible? A Leonard/Felicio to Minnesota for Dieng would cut another $3m off the cap this year, though there are other options across the league, maybe, too?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 pm

gom wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
gom wrote:

If Miami cannot deal Waiters for an expiring, I prefer Waiters (even at a higher salary) to Felicio, who won't really have a role to play at all. I actually think there is a decent chance Waiters starts for Miami this season: Winslow/Waiters/Butler/Olynyk/Adebayo is my guess actually. Felicio would be behind Olynyk, James Johnson, and maybe even Duncan Robinson & KZ Okpala (though I expect Okpala to start in Sioux Falls).

If at the trade deadline this deal is available, then I can see it more likely (assuming Miami hasn't done anything else). Next offseason Waiters as an expiring may be easier to move than Felicio, because (a) he'll have had more minutes and (b) might have improved. Lot of mights there though.

Yeah the difference between fat Waiters and in-shape Waiters is pretty stark on the court. He looks like that ankle is healed and he's in shape.

Yes, I'm still a temporary resident of Waiters Island.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gom

Post#9 » by gom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
gom wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Smitty has them less than $4m over the tax, and Pincus at BBallInsiders has them $2.3m over the tax. Pincus is missing KZ signing, but which other moves are they missing?

Otherwise, would there be other moves possible? A Leonard/Felicio to Minnesota for Dieng would cut another $3m off the cap this year, though there are other options across the league, maybe, too?

I'm not sure which ones they are missing. We've signed Nunn & Duncan Robinson for instance. I use Albert Nahmad's numbers unless I see something erroneous (which is almost never). Here is his latest Miami-cap-related tweet:

Read on Twitter

If you explore his site heathoops.com, you can usually see all the source material he uses in his calculations. I wish I could give you more info, but I have some things to write today. ;-)

Anyway, you should bookmark his page, even if you're not a heat fan. He looks at all teams' cap situations.
gom

Post#10 » by gom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Yeah the difference between fat Waiters and in-shape Waiters is pretty stark on the court. He looks like that ankle is healed and he's in shape.

Yes, I'm still a temporary resident of Waiters Island.

Glad you're back!!! Have a margarita... no... better straight tequila.

Lots of space to lay your towel down, even right by the water. ;-)

Can you imagine Waiters hitting game-crushing shots for the Bulls against us? (shivers)
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#11 » by giberish » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

while Miami is very tight against the hard cap, they also look thin on solid rotation players. If Waiters can play usefully he'd help them. And if he can't play usefully then why is Chicago trading for him, especially when they need SF help more then SG help.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

gom wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
gom wrote:

I'm not sure which ones they are missing. We've signed Nunn & Duncan Robinson for instance. I use Albert Nahmad's numbers unless I see something erroneous (which is almost never). Here is his latest Miami-cap-related tweet:

Read on Twitter

If you explore his site heathoops.com, you can usually see all the source material he uses in his calculations. I wish I could give you more info, but I have some things to write today. ;-)

Anyway, you should bookmark his page, even if you're not a heat fan. He looks at all teams' cap situations.

Albert's great, and I follow him on Twitter where he does all this stuff on the fly.

He doesn't appear to have any 2019-20 salary stuff on his website though and it doesn't appear to have been updated since June. It's all last season's stuff. So, it's hard to see where the numbers are/add up.
HartfordWhalers

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Hard cap numbers also include unlikely bonuses -- which is the 1m difference.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,917

Post#14 » by ChettheJet » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm

For the Bulls, yes they're involved in this deal too. The key is Waiters attitude, does he want to play for the Bulls, does he mind coming off the bench, does he dislike cold weather, can he play for Jim Boylen? These are questions that have to be answered before he holds up a red jersey for the cameras and they better all come up smiles if the Bulls are gong to pay him more than they were already on the hook for with Felicio. It's one thing to have a stiff on the end of the bench it's another to have a malcontent making even more money
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:00 pm

ChettheJet wrote:For the Bulls, yes they're involved in this deal too. The key is Waiters attitude, does he want to play for the Bulls, does he mind coming off the bench, does he dislike cold weather, can he play for Jim Boylen? These are questions that have to be answered before he holds up a red jersey for the cameras and they better all come up smiles if the Bulls are gong to pay him more than they were already on the hook for with Felicio. It's one thing to have a stiff on the end of the bench it's another to have a malcontent making even more money

The thing with Waiters is he still really likes playing basketball. As long as he's getting minutes, he'll be fine. But I think if he's 100% healthy and in-shape, there is the danger that he'll play better off the bench than a rookie starting PG. It happened with Clarkson and Sexton at the beginning of last year. Most fans were okay with it but the casual ones don't understand why the worse rookie is playing ahead of the better vet.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,321

Post#16 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Not feeling the Waiters fit here. The Bulls emphasized scoring efficiency and defensive versatility in their offseason signings. Waiters is a career inefficient scorer with limited size and bad defensive ratings.

Don't get me wrong Felicio is worthless. But at least he knows he's only on the roster to collect a paycheck. Waiters feels like a guy who wouldn't fit the identity this team is trying to build, while getting paid a lot, and probably expecting a larger role than he would get.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,375

Post#17 » by drosestruts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 pm

I think there's a fit between these two teams - I embarrassingly posted a Dunn + Felicio for Crabbe post on the Bulls board (I thought I was on this board) yesterday. Saves a similar amount of money for Miami this year (though it is additional money next year compared to Crabbe's expiring). It does, however, fill the backup point guard spot for them while giving them a year to see how Dunn fits.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,284

Post#18 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 pm

drosestruts wrote:I think there's a fit between these two teams - I embarrassingly posted a Dunn + Felicio for Crabbe post on the Bulls board (I thought I was on this board) yesterday. Saves a similar amount of money for Miami this year (though it is additional money next year compared to Crabbe's expiring). It does, however, fill the backup point guard spot for them while giving them a year to see how Dunn fits.

Why would Atlanta do that deal? Felicio is crap and Dunn isn't exactly incentive.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,375

Post#19 » by drosestruts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
drosestruts wrote:I think there's a fit between these two teams - I embarrassingly posted a Dunn + Felicio for Crabbe post on the Bulls board (I thought I was on this board) yesterday. Saves a similar amount of money for Miami this year (though it is additional money next year compared to Crabbe's expiring). It does, however, fill the backup point guard spot for them while giving them a year to see how Dunn fits.

Why would Atlanta do that deal? Felicio is crap and Dunn isn't exactly incentive.

Save money
Fill position of need (backup pg)
See if there's anything in Dunn they can tap into

Also realizing Crabbe is not on the Heat. I've been out of it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,517

Post#20 » by shrink » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I admit I haven’t been paying close attention, but wouldn’t stretching Felicio, this year or next, then get MIA under the lux?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Trades and Transactions