ImageImageImageImageImage

Brooklyn Nets: 2019-2020 Expectations Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Re: Brooklyn Nets: 2019-2020 Expectations Thread 

Post#101 » by Rockice_24 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I was hoping for Brimah because he looked good as the perfect 2 way 3rd string C to have just in case but Ellenson works too.

I though maybe we'd grab a rim protector as the 3rd string C but a guy that can spot up like that from deep is equally as good in that role. Nice pick up.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#102 » by Kaiser30 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:23 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Do we have both our 2 way? Ellenson got one. Whos the other?

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app

Pinson.

Pinson now has a normal minimum contract. The other two-way player could potentially be Jaylen Hands but nothing is official yet. Otherwise, I have no clue what is the plan with him. It's hard to imagine him going overseas. There is no way he signs a normal G league deal without him forcing the Nets to lose his NBA rights.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#103 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Kaiser30 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Pinson.

Pinson now has a normal minimum contract. The other two-way player could potentially be Jaylen Hands but nothing is official yet. Otherwise, I have no clue what is the plan with him. It's hard to imagine him going overseas. There is no way he signs a normal G league deal without him forcing the Nets to lose his NBA rights.

You're right, my mistake. I do not think that Alan Williams has a contract with us right now, so I believe that that 2nd spot is open for Jaylen.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#104 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I think Alan Williams signed with an overseas team last I checked his Wikipedia page.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#105 » by Claud » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Kyrie/Dinwiddie/Pinson
Harris/Temple/Nwaba
LeVert/Prince/Musa
Kurucs/Chandler/Ellenson
Allen/Jordan/Claxton

Even without KD we have improved the roster across the board compared to last season where we finished with 42 wins and had a number of injuries throughout the season.

If we can stay relatively healthy I'd expect this team to hit 48-53 win range.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#106 » by SpeedyG » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

Pinson.
I thought Pinson got a full 2 year min deal

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#107 » by treiz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:I think we are probably looking at:

Gaurd:
Kyrie 30 (S)
Dinwiddie 28
Levert 28 (S)
Nwaba 10

Forward:
Harris 30 (S)
Kurucs 26 (S)
Prince 24
Temple 8
Claxton 8 (will increase with time and production)**

Big:
Allen 28 (S)
Jordan 20

DNP - CD:
Pinson (spot minutes, injury to any gaurd. Nwaba's defense will get him on the floor over pinson)
Musa (Injury maybe multiple needed to see minutes)
Hands (D-League for sure)
Alan Williams (is he still on the team?)

**11 man rotation that would shrinkg to 10 if claxton can earn the minutes and relegate Temple to a dudley bench role like when kurucs took dudleys minutes.

It's a minor thing, but I'd assume Prince would get more minutes than that, especially to start the year. I do like the rest of it though, just not that bullish on Claxton as of yet. Think he might have a hard time this year taking minutes off of Kurucs/Prince barring injuries.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#108 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:40 pm

treiz wrote:

Gaurd:
Kyrie 30 (S)
Dinwiddie 28
Levert 28 (S)
Nwaba 10

Forward:
Harris 30 (S)
Kurucs 26 (S)
Prince 24
Temple 8

Big:
Allen 28 (S)
Jordan 20

DNP - CD:
Pinson (spot minutes, injury to any gaurd. Nwaba's defense will get him on the floor over pinson)

**11 man rotation that would shrinkg to 10 if claxton can earn the minutes and relegate Temple to a dudley bench role like when kurucs took dudleys minutes.

It's a minor thing, but I'd assume Prince would get more minutes than that, especially to start the year. I do like the rest of it though, just not that bullish on Claxton as of yet. Think he might have a hard time this year taking minutes off of Kurucs/Prince barring injuries.

I also agree with that rotation outline expect for a few minor things. I don't believe claxton is ready to be a part of the rotation either, and see the 8 minutes Prokorov gave him going to Prince and Temple. 4 minutes to Prince bring him to a total of 28 mpg and 4 minutes to Temple bringing him to 12 mpg. Additionally, and this could revert back to how Prokorov has it currently if Musa struggles early on, but I would give those 10 minutes to Musa instead of Nwaba.

Obviously we all know Atkinson's coaching stlye though and there will be stretches where guys do not play at all and then receive 15 mpg for a stretch of games. So nothing is easily predictable with him, but I believe this is a pretty good outline to start.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#109 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I know that we have a system and a protocol for resting guys, giving guys days off. I do not think that those rules will apply to Kyrie, for this upcoming season only.

Irving has a real shot at the MVP. Giannis will of course be the odds-on favorite to repeat. Harden won't challenge with Russ taking away shot and touches (truth be told, I think they'll be a worse team than last year, which hurts his chances also). LBJ and AD will cancel each other out similarly, as will KL and PG13. Steph is really the only other elite dude who could challenge; without Klay and Kevin, he'll have unlimited shot, but will spacing impact his %'s? Will being a low playoff seed make him a less viable candidate?

Kyrie has the supporting cast that Curry has, but in the East, it'll be a bit easier to break into the upper echelon. It won't be easy, but the kind of numbers he'll put up along with us being a top-4 team in the East should keep him in the MVP conversation. He'll be rested a at least 7 games, but I wouldn't count on much more than that barring a nagging injury. And when he does play, he'll get MVP minutes. Kenny is smart enough to know that while his coaching principles haven't changed, his tactics evolve as the personnel around him evolves.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#110 » by MGrand15 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:14 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I know that we have a system and a protocol for resting guys, giving guys days off. I do not think that those rules will apply to Kyrie, for this upcoming season only.

Irving has a real shot at the MVP. Giannis will of course be the odds-on favorite to repeat. Harden won't challenge with Russ taking away shot and touches (truth be told, I think they'll be a worse team than last year, which hurts his chances also). LBJ and AD will cancel each other out similarly, as will KL and PG13. Steph is really the only other elite dude who could challenge; without Klay and Kevin, he'll have unlimited shot, but will spacing impact his %'s? Will being a low playoff seed make him a less viable candidate?

Kyrie has the supporting cast that Curry has, but in the East, it'll be a bit easier to break into the upper echelon. It won't be easy, but the kind of numbers he'll put up along with us being a top-4 team in the East should keep him in the MVP conversation. He'll be rested a at least 7 games, but I wouldn't count on much more than that barring a nagging injury. And when he does play, he'll get MVP minutes. Kenny is smart enough to know that while his coaching principles haven't changed, his tactics evolve as the personnel around him evolves.

I think Kyrie might play a little more than normal like 32-34 minutes but I don't think our general strategy will change too much. Priority number 1 is keeping Kyrie healthy. That's wayyyyy more important than a MVP run. With Dinwiddie, we have one of the best bench guards in the league. We can afford to rest Kyrie.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,538

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:35 am

MGrand15 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:I know that we have a system and a protocol for resting guys, giving guys days off. I do not think that those rules will apply to Kyrie, for this upcoming season only.

I think Kyrie might play a little more than normal like 32-34 minutes but I don't think our general strategy will change too much. Priority number 1 is keeping Kyrie healthy. That's wayyyyy more important than a MVP run. With Dinwiddie, we have one of the best bench guards in the league. We can afford to rest Kyrie.

I think the coaching staff and trainers will value Kyrie's input on how he likes to go about playing and come up with the best plan to make everyone happy. He will definitely need maintenance days and I don't expect the coaching staff to play him 28 mins a night. I think 32 mins a night should be a good medium.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#112 » by drchaos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Gaurd:
Kyrie 30 (S)
Dinwiddie 28
Levert 28 (S)
Nwaba 10

Forward:
Harris 30 (S)
Kurucs 26 (S)
Prince 24
Temple 8

Big:
Allen 28 (S)
Jordan 20

DNP - CD:

I think that Musa and Pinson combine for at least 20 minutes per game (maybe not in the first monh).

There is no reason for us to play anyone other than Allen for more than 25 minutes on average until the playoff hunt and home field are in reach down the stretch.

We are plenty deep at any position other than center.

It would seem that Alan Williams is no longer on the roster.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#113 » by kamaze » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Should they give Brimah the other 2 way contract or a point guard?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#114 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 pm

drchaos wrote:

Gaurd:
Kyrie 30 (S)
Dinwiddie 28
Levert 28 (S)
Nwaba 10

Forward:
Harris 30 (S)
Kurucs 26 (S)
Prince 24
Temple 8

Big:
Allen 28 (S)
Jordan 20

DNP - CD:

I think that Musa and Pinson combine for at least 20 minutes per game (maybe not in the first monh).

There is no reason for us to play anyone other than Allen for more than 25 minutes on average until the playoff hunt and home field are in reach down the stretch.

We are plenty deep at any position other than center.

It would seem that Alan Williams is no longer on the roster.

I don't think Pinson will play a lot unless someone gets hurt or has a night off.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#115 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Fanduel has us at 47.5 on the over/under. I really think that A 6 game improvement is a lay up for this team with the way the roster has improved.

-Allen and Jordan are a fantastic combo at center. Jordan beating Allen's ass in practice will be a blessing.
-Kyrie Irving and Caris LeVert is a lethal backcourt. Especially if LeVert's shooting continues to trend upwards.
-Spencer Dinwiddie. Oh god he will feast again this season.
-I expect Joe Harris to come out of the gates with a massive chip on his shoulder. I expect blazing hot shooting from our marksman.
-Prince and Rodi at PF....both of them can shoot and get up and down the floor.

The Nets have arguably one of the best backcourt rotations in the league. Bar none.

Injuries are the only thing that can derail this. we won't win this year w/o KD, but we will be a force.

i think kyrie and levert can both miss 20-25 games and we still hit 48 wins. hammer the over. i think losing kyrie for 25+ and harris missing time is all that could derail us
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Fanduel has us at 47.5 on the over/under. I really think that A 6 game improvement is a lay up for this team with the way the roster has improved.

-Allen and Jordan are a fantastic combo at center. Jordan beating Allen's ass in practice will be a blessing.
-Kyrie Irving and Caris LeVert is a lethal backcourt. Especially if LeVert's shooting continues to trend upwards.
-Spencer Dinwiddie. Oh god he will feast again this season.
-I expect Joe Harris to come out of the gates with a massive chip on his shoulder. I expect blazing hot shooting from our marksman.
-Prince and Rodi at PF....both of them can shoot and get up and down the floor.

The Nets have arguably one of the best backcourt rotations in the league. Bar none.

Injuries are the only thing that can derail this. we won't win this year w/o KD, but we will be a force.

i think kyrie and levert can both miss 20-25 games and we still hit 48 wins. hammer the over. i think losing kyrie for 25+ and harris missing time is all that could derail us

Yep I'm hitting the over. People are underestimating how well put together this roster is.

drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#117 » by drchaos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
drchaos wrote:

I don't think Pinson will play a lot unless someone gets hurt or has a night off.

Even when LeVert came back from injury Shabazz Napier got plenty of minutes last year.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#118 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 am

Good point, the numbers will definitely be there, as it always is with Kyrie, it's just how much of an impact he makes and has on the other guys and if he can play 65-70 games at least. If we go from a 42 win team to a 52 win team and we're top 2-3 seed in the East then I can see him getting a lot of votes. I can see Jokic and Dame getting some votes if they repeat what they did last year . Also Jimmy Butler if he can carry the HEAT to a top 4 seed. I can't wait for the season to start.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#119 » by Aussienet3 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 am

How many of the new signings other than the big 3 have multi year deals with us? How many of those have team options for NEXT season not this season. I'm interested to see how many ring chasers come knocking after we win 50 games this season and we get KD back...
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#120 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am

drchaos wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
drchaos wrote:

Even when LeVert came back from injury Shabazz Napier got plenty of minutes last year.

Napier missed 16 of the last 20 games as DNP-CD. the 4 games he did play were all blowout/garbage time minutes.

he played early when levert returned, cause we needed to manage levert and dinwiddie missed some time

Return to Brooklyn Nets