Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Re: 2019 NBA Offseason Discussion 

Post#481 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 am

Colbinii wrote:

If only the middle class could do some waking up...

Yup, if only the American economy were as straight forward and tangible to the American people as the NBA free agent market.

The problem becomes much more complicated when causality is indirect, and the side doing the siphoning has primed enough of the victim class to distrust anyone but them.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#482 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

If only the middle class could do some waking up...

Yup, if only the American economy were as straight forward and tangible to the American people as the NBA free agent market.

The problem becomes much more complicated when causality is indirect, and the side doing the siphoning has primed enough of the victim class to distrust anyone but them.

I'm not sure if that side has primed them as much as American society in general has. America has always been a highly individualized society lacking a concept of a greater good. But you've seen me talk about similar topic enough to know I've felt America was doomed forever.

We're held back by what's basically a death cult 70% of society willingly joins. It's bizarre.

I do love reading that headline after the conversation we had on that the other day. Hopefully the JB, Bismack, and Brogdon led proletariat can seize more wealth. :lol:
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#483 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Don’t know how good Philly will be this year due to their guard play but I am so excited to see Embiid and Horford together. I think tha is as close as you can get to a dream frontcourt pairing. Those dudes are gonna kill it.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#484 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Don’t know how good Philly will be this year due to their guard play but I am so excited to see Embiid and Horford together. I think tha is as close as you can get to a dream frontcourt pairing. Those dudes are gonna kill it.

It'll be impossible to score on them, especially along with Simmons on the perimeter. Seems like an early favorite for best defense in the league.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#485 » by Eskobar13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Don’t know how good Philly will be this year due to their guard play but I am so excited to see Embiid and Horford together. I think tha is as close as you can get to a dream frontcourt pairing. Those dudes are gonna kill it.

They're going to absolutely put the clamps on people. It's really a shame they don't have anyone to defend the best/speediest PGs all game or else I could see this an all-time great defense.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#486 » by eminence » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Anybody interesting left on the FA market?

Jazz seem to be going with an approach where they pay a lot of guys minimum type money and bring them in to compete for those last roster spots (Oni/NWG/Howard/potentially other 2nds)

Interested to see whether CP3 gets moved, think they're a fringe playoff team as is (though it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the younger squads took a leap past them). Think the Grizz could be the only legit bad team in the West next season.
I bought a boat.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#487 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 pm

eminence wrote:Anybody interesting left on the FA market?

Jazz seem to be going with an approach where they pay a lot of guys minimum type money and bring them in to compete for those last roster spots (Oni/NWG/Howard/potentially other 2nds)

Interested to see whether CP3 gets moved, think they're a fringe playoff team as is (though it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the younger squads took a leap past them). Think the Grizz could be the only legit bad team in the West next season.

Quite a few. Tyreke and Justin Holiday are 2. Greg Monroe. Shump, Oubre, Faried.
eminence
RealGM

Post#488 » by eminence » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:15 pm

E-Balla wrote:

Quite a few. Tyreke and Justin Holiday are 2. Greg Monroe. Shump, Oubre, Faried.

Tyreke is currently banned from the league right?

Oubre just signed with the Suns.

Justin Holiday is one I'm interested in for sure though.
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#489 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:28 pm

I was thinking about who the favorite was for next year and realized that while I'd bet on Milwaukee to be better than Philly next year, Philly might have a better shot at winning the title than just about anyone. You take the field over Philly easily, but if the 76ers figure themselves out, it's easy to see them just overpowering anyone put in front of them.

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#490 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm

eminence wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Tyreke is currently banned from the league right?

Oubre just signed with the Suns.

Justin Holiday is one I'm interested in for sure though.

Ah you're right I forgot about that. Still some good options.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#491 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

I was thinking about who the favorite was for next year and realized that while I'd bet on Milwaukee to be better than Philly next year, Philly might have a better shot at winning the title than just about anyone. You take the field over Philly easily, but if the 76ers figure themselves out, it's easy to see them just overpowering anyone put in front of them.

If Ben Simmons shoots, even if he's only 30-34% from around 16 feet or 25% from deep, they're clear contenders but I feel LA has to be the overwhelming favorite.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#492 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

If Ben Simmons shoots, even if he's only 30-34% from around 16 feet or 25% from deep, they're clear contenders but I feel LA has to be the overwhelming favorite.

I assume you mean the Clippers because they are generally who is getting talked about as the favorite. I don't think it's easy to see exactly how good the Clippers will be though, mostly for the reason that it's always uncertain with a new pairing. But then you get into Kawhi skipping chunks of the regular season and George coming off of surgeries.

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#493 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

I assume you mean the Clippers because they are generally who is getting talked about as the favorite. I don't think it's easy to see exactly how good the Clippers will be though, mostly for the reason that it's always uncertain with a new pairing. But then you get into Kawhi skipping chunks of the regular season and George coming off of surgeries.

If they add Tyson Chandler and PG plays at least like his standard level (instead of last year's level) I think they're just fine personally. Lou, PG, Kawhi, Harrell can make for a good offense that can get tough buckets and their defensive lineups should be among the best.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#494 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:20 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:If Ben Simmons shoots, even if he's only 30-34% from around 16 feet or 25% from deep, they're clear contenders but I feel LA has to be the overwhelming favorite.

If they add Tyson Chandler and PG plays at least like his standard level (instead of last year's level) I think they're just fine personally. Lou, PG, Kawhi, Harrell can make for a good offense that can get tough buckets and their defensive lineups should be among the best.

Not saying they won't be great, just saying, I think it's hard to know which of these new pairings will synergize the best and by how much. I could see the Clippers winning the title, but I could also see them being just one of many solid contenders.

eminence
RealGM

Post#495 » by eminence » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:If Ben Simmons shoots, even if he's only 30-34% from around 16 feet or 25% from deep, they're clear contenders but I feel LA has to be the overwhelming favorite.

I think Chandler went to the Rockets.
I bought a boat.
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#496 » by Basileus777 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

It's also easy to see their offense not being good enough in the postseason. Tobias Harris is their best ball handler and half-court creator, that's more than a bit concerning. They have too many questions on offense to be considered the title favorite.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#497 » by limbo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 pm

I'd have the Clippers as my title favorites at this point in time. Followed by the Lakers, Philly/Bucks, Warriors, rounding out the Top 5, not necessarily in that order. Jazz are the wildcard dark horse for me.

Clippers:

pros: 2nd best duo in the NBA, can defend and shoot at a high level, solid lineup versatility, not GOAT level depth but arguably best among contending teams.

cons: Maybe kinda weak at the C position. They'll probably play Trez there in smallball lineups but he's not exactly the biggest guy out there. If (or likely, when) they see the Lakers in the postseason this could be an area McGee/Davis/Boogie could exploit. Also, lack of great playmakers on the team could end up being a problem against elite defenses

Lakers:

pros: Best duo in the NBA, no longer think defense and shooting will be a problem, especially in the playoffs where AD/LeBron will be fully engaged, McGee/AD/LeBron/Kuzma/Cousins probably the best/deepest frontcourt in the NBA (only Philly could compete with that in terms of quality with Embiid/Horford/Harris).

cons: LeBron is getting up there in age, AD's health, a lot of question marks on the roster in terms of who can be relied on to consistently contribute in the postseason, maybe i can count them on one hand right now, Rondo is horrible but when you lack sufficient playmaking options and players that can take over the floor general role so LeBron can catch his breath, i fear we're going to see him play serious minutes. If i was Vogel i'd just make sure LeBron and Rondo don't see the floor at the same time, EVER, and it could work for stretches.

Sixers/Bucks:

I'll start by saying, i don't like what the Bucks did in the offseason. I mean, they were kinda in an awkward position without much leverage so i won't judge them heavily from a GM standpoint. From a basketball standpoint though, they lost Brogdon and Mirotic (who while flawed and sat on the bench a lot during the playoffs, could still be a valuable piece, if nothing else during the RS) and they brought in Wes Matthers (who i'm not a huge fan of, theoretically he is a 3&D guy but did neither of those things for Dallas and he has a tendency of playing out of his element on offense thinking he's CJ McCollum or something) and the other Lopez bro, who is a solid big body to have, but not someone who's going to move the needle for your team. Bledsoe has consistency issues and sometimes completely loses the plot during important series, Middleton just secured a fat bag, so his motivation will really be put to test... Basically, a lot will rest on Giannis. He'll have to carry possibly even harder than last year.

So tying this to the Sixers. With the Raptors losing their best player and no one else in the East really stepping up (Brooklyn won't compete in their conference without Durant this year, maybe Miami can do something if they can get CP3 and he plays well) but until then, it's between the Sixers and Bucks, and i favor the Sixers, even though their roster has a higher degree of risk and potential collapse compared to the Bucks, they basically stacked their frontcourt and team with height just so they could deal with Giannis. A lot will rest on Embiid's health again and if Simmons can make a bucket outside the paint but Horford and J-Rich are really good pieces, though losing Butler and Reddick will be huge and they haven't really did much of anything to fix their bench. It's going to be a toss up dogfight between Philly and Milwaukee.

Warriors:

I think they have enough quality to get into the playoffs with Klay missing most of the season. Curry will go nuclear, D'Lo can help offensively a decent amount, Draymond will have to step up. Once they get to the playoffs i expect Klay to be close to 100% and a team with Curry/D'Lo/Klay/Draymond/Cauley-Stein is good enough to compete for a title in this year, not as the favorite, but i won't ever count out the trio of Curry/Klay/Draymond and their valuable chemistry/experience.

Jazz:

Utah won 50 games last season and they clearly got better. Upgraded Rubio for Conley and added Croatian Bogdanovic who is a solid starting wing in this league. They lost Favors and Crowder but Ed Davis and Jeff Green should be good enough replacements. Gobert/Ingles/Bogdanovic/Mitchell/Conley is a sick lineup. The biggest problem of theirs is a lot of their offense hinges on Donovan Mitchell, who's simply not ready and/or good enough to be the primary offensive option for a title winning team, not even close at that. If this was a healthy Oladipo there instead of Mitchell i might have Jazz up there with the Clippers as the favorites.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#498 » by limbo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Basileus777 wrote:It's also easy to see their offense not being good enough in the postseason. Tobias Harris is their best ball handler and half-court creator, that's more than a bit concerning. They have too many questions on offense to be considered the title favorite.

Simmons might not be able to shoot, but come on, saying he's a worse ball handler and half-court creator than Harris is a bit too disrespectful, don't you think? Also, have we forgotten how huge of a role Horford played for the Celtics as far as being a playmaking semi-hub for their half court offense? Josh Richardson had 4.2/1.6 AST/TO ratio last season, he gives you some type of option, definitely better than Harris.
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#499 » by Basileus777 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm

limbo wrote:
Basileus777 wrote:It's also easy to see their offense not being good enough in the postseason. Tobias Harris is their best ball handler and half-court creator, that's more than a bit concerning. They have too many questions on offense to be considered the title favorite.

Simmons might not be able to shoot, but come on, saying he's a worse ball handler and half-court creator than Harris is a bit too disrespectful, don't you think? Also, have we forgotten how huge of a role Horford played for the Celtics as far as being a playmaking semi-hub for their half court offense? Josh Richardson had 4.2/1.6 AST/TO ratio last season, he gives you some type of option, definitely better than Harris.

It's not. Simmons isn't much of an offensive player in the half-court at all. He can't run a PNR or create for his teammates in the half-court, he's just very limited there. He spent most of the postseason hovering around the dunker spot in half-court situations for a reason. People talk about Simmons' offensive skill deficiencies like they only hurt him off the ball, but they really limit him even with the ball in his hands. It's why he shouldn't be the main creating guard on a team, he's doesn't have the skillset of a point guard. But Philly doubled down on forcing Simmons to play a role that he probably shouldn't.

Philly just doesn't have perimeter players that can create offense at a championship level. Harris is a decent PNR player, but only as a scorer. Richardson is a nice complementary player, but I find it hard to see it being enough, even with their bully ball and hand-off game. Getting Horford was a nice recovery after Butler snubbed them, but they've still downgraded their roster from last season.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#500 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Basileus777 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

It's also easy to see their offense not being good enough in the postseason. Tobias Harris is their best ball handler and half-court creator, that's more than a bit concerning. They have too many questions on offense to be considered the title favorite.

Yup, whereas the Bucks really should just be a lock to be elite.

Return to Player Comparisons