ImageImage

Anfernee Simons-Potential?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Re: Anfernee Simons-Potential? 

Post#21 » by ebott » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 am

I think he has the potential to be a good sixth man and that's pretty good. But his defensive instincts are soooo bad and he has zero court vision. I just don't see him being able to function that well against NBA starters when teamwork is paramount.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#22 » by monopoman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 am

ebott wrote:I think he has the potential to be a good sixth man and that's pretty good. But his defensive instincts are soooo bad and he has zero court vision. I just don't see him being able to function that well against NBA starters when teamwork is paramount.

I liked a few of the passes he attempted in Summer League, some of them became Turnovers but that was mostly the guy he was passing to not moving towards the ball or making mistakes. I wouldn't call him zero court vision, I would say it's mediocre at this point for a guard.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#23 » by Fitz303 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

ebott wrote:I think he has the potential to be a good sixth man and that's pretty good. But his defensive instincts are soooo bad and he has zero court vision. I just don't see him being able to function that well against NBA starters when teamwork is paramount.

I'd recommend going back and watching the 1 regular season game where he got to play, and check out some of the 9 assists he dished out in that game. Wrap around pick n roll passes, 3/4 court 1 handed pass ahead, lob pass to Layman, etc... he has court vision. Hes not Jason Williams, but he can handle some PG duties. I still think he'll be better suited for SG anyway. Defense still has a way to go, for sure
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#24 » by Effigy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 pm

He has the potential to get CJ traded for a wing. Jalen Brown?
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#25 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Effigy wrote:He has the potential to get CJ traded for a wing. Jalen Brown?

Succinctly and well said. CJ is a quality SG and a no-drama kind of guy.

While it's looking unlikely that Olshey ever pulls the trigger on trading McCollum, having a 3-guard rotation -- when Simons is ready for it -- raises the floor for the Blazers. Plenty of "IF's," but if Simons can be a strong enough PG at both ends, then keeping CJ's contract as far away from $30 million as possible is a good thing. About the time Simons gets his second contract, the cost on CJ begins coming down. It will be interesting to see the 3 of them on the court together for limited stints.

Really nice to have Bazemore and Hood on the team for the backup SG and (hopefully) all of the SF minutes (approx 30-32 each).
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#26 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
Effigy wrote:He has the potential to get CJ traded for a wing. Jalen Brown?

Succinctly and well said. CJ is a quality SG and a no-drama kind of guy.

While it's looking unlikely that Olshey ever pulls the trigger on trading McCollum, having a 3-guard rotation -- when Simons is ready for it -- raises the floor for the Blazers. Plenty of "IF's," but if Simons can be a strong enough PG at both ends, then keeping CJ's contract as far away from $30 million as possible is a good thing. About the time Simons gets his second contract, the cost on CJ begins coming down. It will be interesting to see the 3 of them on the court together for limited stints.

Really nice to have Bazemore and Hood on the team for the backup SG and (hopefully) all of the SF minutes (approx 30-32 each).

what do you mean by "as far away from 30M as possible"?

CJ will be a 7 year veteran so he'll be entitled to a 30% max deal. The cap is projected to be 116M next summer and over 120M the following summer. CJ's max will be around 40M/year. And Olshey has never shown any loss of his overwhelming faith in CJ. I think he's a real threat to give CJ a max deal

Dame will be averaging 49M a year. If CJ gets 40M, that's 89M/year for the two of them. If you figure the average salary-cap for the duration of their deals is 128M, those two guys would be hogging 70% of the salary cap at a time when the average (MLE) salary would be 11-12M...that's insane. Worse is it would be nearly impossible to build a contending team around that financial commitment

the cap has exploded with all the new TV revenue but the CBA hasn't really changed, and the ratios haven't either. Teams, especially small market teams, can really only afford 2 max-level contracts. Portland has two of the lowest level max deals and they are in the 2nd year of paying tax while being more than 10M over the tax line currently and still one player short of the minimum roster

the lesson is if you give out two max deals, it has to be to two elite players. Dame qualifies but CJ is at least a couple of tiers below elite.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 pm

I agree. CJ is not a max level contract guy -- especially not for a small market team that is not a destination for free agents or free agents on the rise ... and not with Lillard's superman ... and not ... I'll stop with NOT.

I suppose I should say AS FAR BELOW $30 million as possible.

In the final year of contract (2020-21), CJ makes $29.35 million. At the beginning of the next season, he turns 30. In other words, if CJ is going for his last huge $$$ contract (aka, max or close to it), then the Blazers SHOULD trade him at the end of this coming season UNLESS they get to the WCF, again, and are healthy and on the rise. Then, I can understand continuity over frugality. Keep any extension shorter (3 years) with a team option final year.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#28 » by d-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Thankfully, the Blazers have 2 max players. We wouldn't be any good if we didn't. The problem is one of our max players will be getting super max money. This will make payroll higher than it should be. Jody will have to pay high luxury taxes so long as Blazers keep the nucleus of this team together. Right now the cost of our 2 max players is a bargain. Jody can be thankful for that.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 pm

If CJ was a free agent this summer and Blazers didn't re-sign him, he would be on another team making $142M for 4 years. And, his new team would be celebrating and counting their future championships. So, I guess that makes him a max player.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

What the market bears for paying a player like a max player does not make it so. The discussions on this board of his strengths and weaknesses — over the years — suggest that paying someone else what CJ COULD make on his next contract would be a better idea. I’ve never been one of his bigger or more vocal critics, but next season is HUGE for his future on the team.

CJ needs to improve his efficiency and get as close to 50-40-90 as possible and draw some friggin’ contact. Other players need shots to have both ball and players move.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#31 » by dunlop212 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 pm

All of CJ's numbers (advanced or traditional) except for ppg are really average. In a year or so, he might not be better than Simons. His trade value is going to go down every year, and will be negative if Portland gives him a max contract. It might play out like it did for Plumlee; it is best to move him before you have to pay him some number that makes no sense for the team.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#32 » by Goldbum » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:37 pm

I almost agree with trading CJ. I believe in selling high and buying low. I just feel like they have decided that they are making a run this year. If it doesn’t pan out around the deadline than maybe you move on. The problem is if we are struggling he likely has less value. I guess that’s why he probably going to be a Blazer for a long time.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#33 » by d-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 pm

I am glad Blazers fans don't get to make personnel decisions for the team.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 am

d-train wrote:I am glad Blazers fans don't get to make personnel decisions for the team.

And Lillard is glad that he's not in charge of it either.
I guess we're "stuck" with Olshey.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#35 » by ebott » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:00 am

Fitz303 wrote:

I'd recommend going back and watching the 1 regular season game where he got to play, and check out some of the 9 assists he dished out in that game. Wrap around pick n roll passes, 3/4 court 1 handed pass ahead, lob pass to Layman, etc... he has court vision. Hes not Jason Williams, but he can handle some PG duties. I still think he'll be better suited for SG anyway. Defense still has a way to go, for sure

DAMN, I didn't know he had 9 assists in that game. I should totally try to watch it. I based my opinion on the summer league games where he only seemed to pass the ball when he got himself into trouble.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#36 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 pm

The juxtaosition between his passing vision in the SAC game and the SL is staggering. He had some passes in that SAC game that I have never, ever seen CJ make.

I still think his best comparison is far and away Lou Williams with a bit of that offensive smoothness than got Jeremy Lamb so much hype. I hope he is still growing and hits 6'5. That would be awesome.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#37 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't understand why anyone is extrapolating anything out of Ant's ability to run point in SL. These teams are thrown together in a week, 99% of the time with barely any of the guys knowing one another, and fans expect them to go out and play with the crispness of an NBA team.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#38 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

I think we've officially hit critical mass with Simons overhype for the summer.

Read on Twitter

Klay mixed with Dame would make Simons one of the Top 5 players in the league.... yeah... not holding my breath for that.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#39 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#40 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:35 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think we've officially hit critical mass with Simons overhype for the summer.

Read on Twitter

Klay mixed with Dame would make Simons one of the Top 5 players in the league.... yeah... not holding my breath for that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers