Who's The 6th Man For This Team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:17 pm

Personally, I want it to be THJ. If THJ is a starter, then I guess the 6th man is either Brunson or Kleber. Curry would be an interesting pick there as well, but I think the ideal 6th man is THJ.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Re: Who's The 6th Man For This Team? 

Post#2 » by turcorox911 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:29 pm

I'd like it to be THJ too. He can anchor the 2nd unit offensively, while DFS gives the starters more defense and length. He's gotta improve his shot though.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 am

Brunson and Curry will be the first ones off the bench
FIRE JASON KIDD
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#4 » by turcorox911 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 am

dirkforpres wrote:Brunson and Curry will be the first ones off the bench

Probably, but I think it should be THJ tbh. That way the 2nd unit has a legitimate scorer and the starting lineup has a solid defender like DFS.

But DFS really has to work on his 3 ball and/or jump shot.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 am

turcorox911 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Brunson and Curry will be the first ones off the bench

Probably, but I think it should be THJ tbh. That way the 2nd unit has a legitimate scorer and the starting lineup has a solid defender like DFS.

But DFS really has to work on his 3 ball and/or jump shot.

His 3 ball is below average, yeah, but it's slowly getting better. If it gets better, then honestly, he might not be a bad 6th man candidate himself. Same goes for Kleber.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#6 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

I'm more concerned with who the 3rd man is tbh.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#7 » by bobsquad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 am

DFS or Curry, whoever doesn't start. THJ will get stretches of high usage, but I imagine he'll be in and out of the doghouse.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#8 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Who's The 6th Man For This Team?

Dwight Powell.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#9 » by Lowtech801 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

bran muffin wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Who's The 6th Man For This Team?

Dwight Powell.
Unless we sign or trade for someone else, you can pencil him in as a starter.

bran muffin
Starter

Post#10 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
bran muffin wrote:Dwight Powell.

Powell won't be the starter, even though that's what 99% of fans and media expect.

Maxi will be the starting power forward. Powell will be the small ball center coming off the bench.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:

Powell won't be the starter, even though that's what 99% of fans and media expect.

Maxi will be the starting power forward. Powell will be the small ball center coming off the bench.

It depends on the matchup for sure. I don't like KP as the full-time C, but Kleber can bang a little I guess. Powell does more of that and is a rim-runner, so I genuinely think he starts.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:I'm more concerned with who the 3rd man is tbh.

As in the #3 scorer?
If so, then who do you think it will be? My pick for that is THJ, but I'm not happy about it at all.
bran muffin
Starter

Post#13 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:I don't like KP as the full-time C, but Kleber can bang a little I guess.

Rick has already said he intends to have Porzingis play mostly center on defense, and mostly power forward on offense.

HairyGOATee wrote:Powell does more of that and is a rim-runner, so I genuinely think he starts.

The Mavs already have a rim runner in Porzingis. And unlike Powell, Porzingis can either roll or fade after the pick. It would be kind of silly for Luka to be running pick-n-rolls with Powell while Porzingis is on the court with them.

What the Mavs need is a stretch big who can space the floor for Porzingis & Luka. Maxi is better suited for that role than Powell, which is why I expect Maxi will start.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#14 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 pm

THJ
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#15 » by Darren » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 am

Vince Carter
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#16 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:01 am

bran muffin wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:I don't like KP as the full-time C, but Kleber can bang a little I guess.

Rick has already said he intends to have Porzingis play mostly center on defense, and mostly power forward on offense.

HairyGOATee wrote:Powell does more of that and is a rim-runner, so I genuinely think he starts.

The Mavs already have a rim runner in Porzingis. And unlike Powell, Porzingis can either roll or fade after the pick. It would be kind of silly for Luka to be running pick-n-rolls with Powell while Porzingis is on the court with them.

What the Mavs need is a stretch big who can space the floor for Porzingis & Luka. Maxi is better suited for that role than Powell, which is why I expect Maxi will start.

This is a pretty compelling point regarding fit. I think most of us have Powell penciled in as the starting 5 because that's where he finished the season and we paid him like a starter for 4 more years. I know the team "thinks he's a good fit" with Porzingis but I'm not completely sure why.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#17 » by Darren » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 am

bran muffin wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:

RC openly mention Zinger-Powell-PlayerX-Luka-Delon as starter. Player X will be selected among Hardaway, Jackson or DFS. Cuban pinpoints that Delon will be the shortest starter. Get the picture? Curry won't be in starting lineup, as planned now. Until proven otherwise, Powell is supposed to be in starting unit. Yet, Doncic will be used exclusively as SG instead of PF/SF. I know things may change. But until now, Powell should be out of running for the award. I think it's decided among Hardaway or Curry scoring wise. I don't want Brunson or Barea to look for own scoring very often. Kleber is indeed inconsistent offensively from what I observed last season. But I won't rule out Boban at all. The opposing must adjust whenever Boban is on court. I am not a fan watching Hardaway to play one-on-one in Barnes' fashion.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#18 » by arkuo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:02 am

It baffles me that there is a 25 year old Burke available for the minimum yet we choose to go with a 35 year old JJ Barea with a torn achilles.

Cuban cant use the loyalty card here as he has shown what he did to the 2011 squad. So why JJ?
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#19 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am

Darren wrote:
bran muffin wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:Unless we sign or trade for someone else, you can pencil him in as a starter.

RC openly mention Zinger-Powell-PlayerX-Luka-Delon as starter. Player X will be selected among Hardaway, Jackson or DFS. Cuban pinpoints that Delon will be the shortest starter. Get the picture? Curry won't be in starting lineup, as planned now. Until proven otherwise, Powell is supposed to be in starting unit. Yet, Doncic will be used exclusively as SG instead of PF/SF. I know things may change. But until now, Powell should be out of running for the award. I think it's decided among Hardaway or Curry scoring wise. I don't want Brunson or Barea to look for own scoring very often. Kleber is indeed inconsistent offensively from what I observed last season. But I won't rule out Boban at all. The opposing must adjust whenever Boban is on court. I am not a fan watching Hardaway to play one-on-one in Barnes' fashion.

This team has a dilemma for the final starter.

Powell and Wright will be starters but that final spot will be between Seth, Brunson, THJ, Jackson or DFS.
A case could be made for any of those 5 to be put in the starting lineup but my guess will be DFS to start the season and Seth will eventually move into that role. Either way we have an enormous problem either defensively or offensively depending on which one of those two start.

We need DFS's defense against the great wings of the west but that will limit Luka's weapons. Seth has the ability to spread the floor and that will maximize Luka's ability to operate in the half court but will create a nightmare situation on defense. That is our dilemma and we can only hope that a guy like Jackson can elevate his game to a much higher level as a two-way player. I just don't see the upside with him though because he reminds me a lot of Matt Barnes and I think Jackson will have a similar ceiling/career.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 am

arkuo wrote:It baffles me that there is a 25 year old Burke available for the minimum yet we choose to go with a 35 year old JJ Barea with a torn achilles.

Cuban cant use the loyalty card here as he has shown what he did to the 2011 squad. So why JJ?

Yeah, I don't get it either.
JJ is one of my top 5 favorite Mavs of all time but Burke just looked extremely comfortable in our offense last season and could provide some great scoring from the bench.
If Burke can be had at the minimum that is a no-brainer.
I love JJ but I think he is all but done with that injury considering his style of play.

Return to Dallas Mavericks