ImageImageImage

Who's The 6th Man For This Team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Re: Who's The 6th Man For This Team? 

Post#21 » by bran muffin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Darren wrote:RC openly mention Zinger-Powell-PlayerX-Luka-Delon as starter.

I don't think so. The only thing the Mavs say about Powell is that he's important to their culture and a part of their future. But they have never mentioned him specifically as a starter the way they have with Porzingis, Luka and Delon.

Can you point me to the exact quote where you say RC specifically mentions Powell as a starter for the 2019 season?

arkuo wrote:It baffles me that there is a 25 year old Burke available for the minimum yet we choose to go with a 35 year old JJ Barea with a torn achilles.

Look at the roster. In the past 5 months the Mavs lost almost all of their veteran leadership and continuity. Maxi, DFS and Powell are the only players who have played more than 1 season for Rick. Those guys are our "veteran leaders" now.

They are probably bringing back JJB as a player/coach at this point. I don't think it's a coincidence that JJB was talking a few days ago about "definitely" staying in Dallas as a coach after he retires.

As for Burke, we don't even know if he's willing to sign a vet minimum contract. There are teams out there with the MLE, BAE, or cap space to give him a bigger contract than the minimum.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#22 » by Archx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Darren wrote:RC openly mention Zinger-Powell-PlayerX-Luka-Delon as starter.

I don't think so. The only thing the Mavs say about Powell is that he's important to their culture and a part of their future. But they have never mentioned him specifically as a starter the way they have with Porzingis, Luka and Delon.

Can you point me to the exact quote where you say RC specifically mentions Powell as a starter for the 2019 season?

Read on Twitter
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#23 » by bran muffin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Archx wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting. I never saw that tweet before.

It's a preliminary depth chart, so I still believe Maxi will be in the starting lineup by opening day. I just don't see Powell starting next to Porzingis. Also, I also have a very difficult time imagining how the bench unit will be functional with Maxi and DFS as the two bigs. Both of them are terrible at pick n' rolls.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#24 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Can JJ Barea be placed on the IR or something to help open up another roster spot until he comes back? If not, then yeah, I kinda agree that it was a waste, but I like JJ a lot. I'm glad he's back. Can't wait for them to retire his jersey/number.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#25 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:03 pm

With starters as KP LUKA WRIGHT POWELL you have a situation where the guys who are competing for 5th will need to be determined before we need to argue about who is 6th man. The guy who scores the most on the floor with the second team is what a 6th man is and to me you need to know who that 5th starter is first. That being said the chart below solves this issue

5th starter / 6th man most likely to least likely
Jackson / Seth
THJ / Seth
DFS / Seth
Seth / Jackson
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#26 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:08 pm

second team will likely be
Seth / Ryan three point shooters
Brunson/ JJB Points
Kleber or Powell if Kleber breaks the starting lineup PF/C
Boban C
THJ/ DFS depending on need offense its THJ defense its DFS SF
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 am

Justin Jackson as the 5th starter wouldn't be so bad I guess since he can knock down 3s, but he's gonna have to learn defense. Although individual defense is overrated nowadays it seems. It is and always has been about TEAM defense.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 am

Gotta be Curry or THJ. I think it's Curry right now tbh.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,083

Post#29 » by MrGoat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 am

Curry if he isn't one of the starters

If Curry starts, THJ
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 am

MrGoat wrote:Curry if he isn't one of the starters

If Curry starts, THJ

That sounds about right.
I think Brunson with Curry, THJ, Kleber, and Boban off the bench is a nice 2nd unit.
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#31 » by chokingmav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm

My best guess........If the starting unit is Delon, Luka, X, KP, Powell. I would assume KP and X would sub out first. Sixth men would be Kleber and one of our wing brigade guys (DFS, Jackson, THJ, Curry). Another possibility is Luka would drop to the 3 and Brunson would sub in. Whatever........anyway, I'm guessing Kleber for sure will be quick off the bench to relieve KP (who will be on restricted minutes)

Return to Dallas Mavericks