ImageImageImage

Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Re: Welcome to our SL team, Tacko Fall! 

Post#381 » by BigTrade92 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am

Wow the video seemed a lot more concrete than just reading the words.

Ainge’s tone seemed to all but confirm Tacko is making this team one way or another.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#382 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 am

BigTrade92 wrote:Wow the video seemed a lot more concrete than just reading the words.

Ainge’s tone seemed to all but confirm Tacko is making this team one way or another.

It gives us plenty of time to look at him, and review the overall situation.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 755

Post#383 » by batabatuta » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 am

If Tacko works out for us, he will be a valuable and impactful player for us. He just needs the right mix of players to surround him (to hopefully hide his weaknesses as well). Who among our lineup can work best with him on the court?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#384 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 am

batabatuta wrote:If Tacko works out for us, he will be a valuable and impactful player for us. He just needs the right mix of players to surround him. Who among our lineup can work best with him on the court?

Pretty much all the Guards. And probably the Other Bigs, too.
He becomes the Center, as soon as he walks on the floor.

Any other Center becomes a PF, when Tacko comes in.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#385 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:34 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:Is there any way if the Celtics drag their feet that another team could come in and sign him? They don't have his draft rights obviously, but do they have any sort of first refusal now because of the Exhibit 10 contract?

The Celtics have the exclusive right to sign him until the regular season starts.

That's how I read it, as well.
He becomes a Free Agent, if we don't sign him to either a Regular NBA, or a Two-Way contract, by the Beginning of the Regular Season.

Why isn’t this tactic used more often?
Hey Man, nice shot!
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#386 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:39 am

Big Joke Line wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:The Celtics have the exclusive right to sign him until the regular season starts.

He becomes a Free Agent, if we don't sign him to either a Regular NBA, or a Two-Way contract, by the Beginning of the Regular Season.

It's only been around a couple years. I can see why players aren't in love with signing such a deal.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#387 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:Is there any way if the Celtics drag their feet that another team could come in and sign him? They don't have his draft rights obviously, but do they have any sort of first refusal now because of the Exhibit 10 contract?

The Celtics have the exclusive right to sign him until the regular season starts.

Thanks, gents.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#388 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 am

Big Joke Line wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:The Celtics have the exclusive right to sign him until the regular season starts.

How often is there an undrafted player that actually has anything impressive enough about them for it to come up?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#389 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:01 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:That's how I read it, as well.

How often is there an undrafted player that actually has anything impressive enough about them for it to come up?

Surprisingly pretty often. Even just last year you had Alonzo Trier, Kenrich Williams, Gary Clark play serious minutes as UDFA. Rawle Alkins, Bonzie Colson, Trevon Duval, Yuta Watanabe all interesting UDFA just last year who have similar intrigue to Tacko Fall. Probably 10+ every year, maybe more.

Here's a list of UDFA rookie seasons in the last 5 years, sorted by minutes: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=1&draft_year=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=2015&year_max=2019&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&order_by=mp

Some of these guys are europeans, but for the most part you can see a few interesting genuine UDFA per year that panned out.

P.S. Guess which undrafted rookie in the last five years had the most winshares.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=1&draft_year=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=2015&year_max=2019&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&order_by=mp
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#390 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:56 am

Tacko either gets 2 way, makes roster which means a 2 yr. rookie deal, or we sign him to Maine and risk some other team offering contract. Due to rescinding Theis QO and signing him, we cannot offer Tacko or Waters a 4 year rookie deal. I think Waters is a guy team is high on so but don’t really need this year with Wannamaker. I bet they would rather keep him (Waters) in Maine and keep option to give him 4 year deal next year so they don’t get a Brogdon situation.

This, IMO, means Tacko will be the guy to get 15th roster spot.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,154

Post#391 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

This article and the training camp invite part of the exhibit 10 attachment make that sound right, but the most detailed descriptions I've seen call it 1 year nonguaranteed minimum contract. Which would mean he is on the roster until he's waived or downgraded to 2 way...it's still unclear to me
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#392 » by Triple7 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Sign Tacko for the 15th spot. Sign Waters to a two-way contract. He would just be our 4th or 5th string pg, next to smart, carsen and wannamaker.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#393 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

I had said previously I wondered about just this:

Read on Twitter

It fit with the previous rumor about the C's offering him a contract after SL--even before he played so well there--that they would want to sign him to one of their special, four-year deals with the last two being team options that they have sometimes sewn 2nd rounders up with. Yet, if you are Tacko's agent and crew, perhaps you'd rather gamble more on playing out the Exhibit 10 string, which I believe would see him as a FA two years earlier.

I certainly hope this doesn't mean they didn't get the Exhibit 10 deal done before he blew up in SL.

But I wonder how it will work out. Maybe this is why Brad was so limited in his praise for Tacko's SL play.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#394 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

So Brad had Kemba over to his house to watch film with him--and it sounds like perhaps Brad wasn't as comfortable bonding on a human level as might be the norm in the league (but Kemba is able to roll with it):

Read on Twitter
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#395 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm

cloverleaf wrote:So Brad had Kemba over to his house to watch film with him--and it sounds like perhaps Brad wasn't as comfortable bonding on a human level as might be the norm in the league (but Kemba is able to roll with it):

Read on Twitter

after dealing with Kyrie for 2 years, you'd be gun shy as well. Isn't it nice to have a PG wanting to reach out and work with the head coach? I mean, he's not in china on instagram, he's here, working in the offseason and he just signed.

I think we'll see a Walker/Hayward/Stevens love fest and get togethers before it's all done.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#396 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:So Brad had Kemba over to his house to watch film with him--and it sounds like perhaps Brad wasn't as comfortable bonding on a human level as might be the norm in the league (but Kemba is able to roll with it):

Read on Twitter

after dealing with Kyrie for 2 years, you'd be gun shy as well. Isn't it nice to have a PG wanting to reach out and work with the head coach? I mean, he's not in china on instagram, he's here, working in the offseason and he just signed.

I think we'll see a Walker/Hayward/Stevens love fest and get togethers before it's all done.

I'm all in on Kemba. Thought it was great that he showed at their facility when the SL team was practicing--and he wasn't even signed yet.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#397 » by Tiny ball » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Tacko either gets 2 way, makes roster which means a 2 yr. rookie deal, or we sign him to Maine and risk some other team offering contract. Due to rescinding Theis QO and signing him, we cannot offer Tacko or Waters a 4 year rookie deal. I think Waters is a guy team is high on so but don’t really need this year with Wannamaker. I bet they would rather keep him (Waters) in Maine and keep option to give him 4 year deal next year so they don’t get a Brogdon situation.

Why would Tacko sign a two way real? He will walk and sign 4 year deal odds are few million a year. He might take 5 million two years if they swear he plays 10 to 15 minutes a game. If not he walks. Brad hates bigs and Danny well he will say we tried to sign him.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#398 » by radcot » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:Tacko either gets 2 way, makes roster which means a 2 yr. rookie deal, or we sign him to Maine and risk some other team offering contract. Due to rescinding Theis QO and signing him, we cannot offer Tacko or Waters a 4 year rookie deal. I think Waters is a guy team is high on so but don’t really need this year with Wannamaker. I bet they would rather keep him (Waters) in Maine and keep option to give him 4 year deal next year so they don’t get a Brogdon situation.

Why would Tacko sign a two way real? He will walk and sign 4 year deal odds are few million a year. He might take 5 million two years if they swear he plays 10 to 15 minutes a game. If not he walks. Brad hates bigs and Danny well he will say we tried to sign him.

According to the terms of an Exhibit 10 contract, he doesn't have the option to "walk" unless the Celts waive him or do not offer him either a two-way or a regular contract prior to the start of the season. If they do waive him, he can sign with Portland for a $50,000 bonus (C's do NOT retain his rights) or he can sign with another team for whatever.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#399 » by Tiny ball » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 pm

radcot wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

According to the terms of an Exhibit 10 contract, he doesn't have the option to "walk" unless the Celts waive him or do not offer him either a two-way or a regular contract prior to the start of the season. If they do waive him, he can sign with Portland for a $50,000 bonus (C's do NOT retain his rights) or he can sign with another team for whatever.
You mean they can force him to take a contract? That sounds little like slavery:-)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#400 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
radcot wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:Why would Tacko sign a two way real? He will walk and sign 4 year deal odds are few million a year. He might take 5 million two years if they swear he plays 10 to 15 minutes a game. If not he walks. Brad hates bigs and Danny well he will say we tried to sign him.

You mean they can force him to take a contract? That sounds little like slavery:-)

He sold them an option on his services. But I'm still hoping the C's can upgrade him before camp.

Return to Boston Celtics