F
4%

Total votes: 55

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,424

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#21 » by shrink » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 pm

I went with a B as well. Perhaps an “Incomplete” would be more accurate, since I don’t know how to evaluate the youth. That said, this has been the overall direction I have been preaching for a while.

1. We are below average at every back up position, and all but two starter positions (SF, C). We need access for as much growth and development as possible.

2. We should not give up assets to move Dieng, Wiggins, or Teague. We are not a team who is a great free agent destination, over the lux, or have a major deal waiting in the wings to be a win-now contender. We need all the assets we can get (see #1), and all of these deals become cheaper to move if we wait.

3. I was not a fan of DeAngelo Russell, but I am glad that Rosas didn’t try to make a splash by giving up assets for Russell Westbrook or Chris Paul. We need KAT to know this is his team, and not bring in an old, win-now, alpha male to give him another Jimmy Butler.

4. I like Tyus, but I’m happy they didn’t match that offer. It’s just too much for a back up PG.

5. We resisted trading Covington. His market value is not going to decrease for a year and a half, and he really helps Towns and the entire team. Perhaps he gets traded for more value closer to the deadline or next year, when a contender suffers an injury or is more desperate to fill a need.

Overall, I think Rosas needed to be patient this season, add and develop youth, stay under the lux, and let time deal with some of our bad contracts. It seems like the course he took, and hopefully some of the youth emerges, and I can amend my grade to an A.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#22 » by Norseman79 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm

I went B for many of the reasons already listed.

I love giving young guys 1 yr contracts to see what they got while remaining true to the idea of being able to add another star. Once all of the contracts expire next summer, or even for trades around the deadline, we have options.

Until we see some of these guys play, I really can't go higher than a B. Also, have to see how guys' games shape and evolve with new coaching and development.

Also, another idea/question...what if our 1-3-1 lineup includes Towns playing outside and Wiggins playing in?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#23 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:27 pm

B+ for me. Rosas used our non existant capspace very well. Young players that want to prove themselves.
Saric for Culver was a great move, Reid is looking good so far and Nowell seems to have potential.
And all the new staff he brought in really feel like change. Getting Russell would be the A or A+ and losing Tyus hurt a bit but I'm willing to accept that it fit the big picture.

I'm exited about next season, that's for sure.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#24 » by PharmD » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 am

wolves_89 wrote:I gave the Wolves a C since they are likely a worse team than last season. A point guard rotation of Teague/Napier isn't going to inspire confidence or hopes for a playoff spot. On the bright side, the team hasn't made any terrible moves or hurt the future. The front office might be putting the team on the right long term track, but this is going to be another wasted season and I don't think we can lose many more years without KAT looking for a way out.

Yeah, I agree with this but i give the offseason a B. We didn't do anything stupid and that's both harder and more important for the future of this franchise than people realize.

We kept Ryan which i'm very happy about. We made a painful but grownup and imo correct decision about Tyus. Saric had a terrible attitude last year so getting such good value for him makes me very happy.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#25 » by Maefteda » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am

Pre or post Rosas?

I love the hire and the way he has filled out his staff, but I don't think the draft and free agency quite turned out the way Rosas himself had hoped.

B pre Rosas
D post Rosas

for me. We lost a bunch of players, added minimum 1 year deals and didn't get the FA or draftee we most coveted.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#26 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Can anyone explain why/how this happened yet. Yes/No?

Acquired Shabazz Napier, Treveon Graham and cash

Cash over or under the table always makes my spider senses twitch. This seemed at the time like a favor given to the team that just stole our biggest offseason target. Anyone?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#27 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:Can anyone explain why/how this happened yet. Yes/No?

Cash over or under the table always makes my spider senses twitch. This seemed at the time like a favor given to the team that just stole our biggest offseason target. Anyone?

Yes it helped gsw, but we basically got 2 players for free.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#28 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm

I give it a solid B+. I can't understand why Rosas has so many negative detractors given the mess that he was left by Thibs to clean up. You can't criticize a guy for things out of his control. Who the hell thought CLE would draft another PG at #5 with a young PG in Sexton already on the roster? Who had any hint that GS would enter the Russell sweepstakes and quite frankly, who would rather play for the Wolves than the Warriors? What I see so far in Rosas is he is implementing a short-term plan to eventually lead us to a long-term solution. I'm damn glad we have him.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
shrink
RealGM

Post#29 » by shrink » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Yes it helped gsw, but we basically got 2 players for free.

Also, MIN refusing the deal wasn’t going to keep the DeAngelo Russell trade from happening - nearly any other team would have agreed to that deal. This is a mature way to handle things because Rosas will be dealing with GSW in the future - maybe even next summer, in a Russell-Covington-based deal.

And we got a player in Napier that can help us.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#30 » by shrink » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 pm

From what I can tell so far, Culver, Layman and now Naz Reid are the only guys we have locked up past this season.

i understand we’re trying to avoid using up future cap space, but I would have preferred some of these deals with team options.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#31 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pm

shrink wrote:From what I can tell so far, Culver, Layman and now Naz Reid are the only guys we have locked up past this season.

i understand we’re trying to avoid using up future cap space, but I would have preferred some of these deals with team options.

Would we retain "Bird" rights on players like Bell, Vonleh and Napier with only one year deals in place?
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#32 » by minimus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
shrink wrote:From what I can tell so far, Culver, Layman and now Naz Reid are the only guys we have locked up past this season.

Would we retain "Bird" rights on players like Bell, Vonleh and Napier with only one year deals in place?

We will not retain bird rights on them
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#33 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:17 pm

We traded them the draft rights to a player we have no need for
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#34 » by old school 34 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Front office & coaching staff hires get an A from my perspective...some people may have their concerns around Ryan &/or how he got there, but young and still very popular from player's side & then a lot of hires that just simply didn't think they would even give us the time of day...let alone giving us some hopefully real & substantial long-term credibility within the league....never going to even give yourself a chance without that? And hoping that there's now enough layers in place that it's truly sustainable.

Roster construction currently C+, but love how we got there....still going to be most likely a wasted year, but love the aggressiveness while still showing restraint (aggressive in moving up to get Culver, but showed restraint in not trading Roco to get those two extra spots for Garland....it will be interesting to see how that plays out long term, but I agree with Rosas thought that Roco/Culver--w/the hope that maybe it ended up being Garland is significantly better than Garland/Saric). Good restraint on resigning Tyus...flexibility is more valuable & resigning him would've been short sighted thinking. Avoid using our mid-levels exceptions that would put us in the same dilemma as resigning Tyus...better on taking bets on the young guys on cheap deals (I know some are concerned about not getting that TO 2nd year, but only one that really concerns me with is Vonleh & we tried)---any of them that that do warrant a 2nd year could easily be resigned next year with either of those exceptions next season after hopefully our larger move?

Last player development TBD....obviously the season will be the true test, but love what we've seen with players @ the facilities, systems being put in place, & summer league results (fwiw). While we all impatiently frustrated that we missed on the Garland and to larger extent DLo moves....it may be a blessing....by waiting another year....we'll see what happens with some of these moves to better determine who that 2nd star really should be to give us our best shot....should it really be a PG (Dlo, etc.)....does it need to be a wing (Beal, Booker)....can Culver or Wiggins be that 3rd star or better yet stars 3&4? I would've loved DLo and taken my chances with KAT, DLo, & Wiggins but there was definite risk & still significant player development required for that core to go somewhere? We'll be a lot further down that line after next year.....& maybe the star move isn't even a guy on the radar yet....my secret hope....things stall and regress in Sac...would love to overpay to bring D. Fox to pair with KAT.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#35 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Klomp wrote:

If we actually wanted both players than it was a no brainer. If we only wanted Napier and had to accept Graham that may or may not be worth it.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#36 » by old school 34 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Less of a concern when I believe the cash we received covered both players contracts...
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If we actually wanted both players than it was a no brainer. If we only wanted Napier and had to accept Graham that may or may not be worth it.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm

old school 34 wrote:Less of a concern when I believe the cash we received covered both players contracts...
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:We traded them the draft rights to a player we have no need for

True, but the cash doesn't clear a roster spot or does it?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
old school 34 wrote:Less of a concern when I believe the cash we received covered both players contracts...
KGdaBom wrote:If we actually wanted both players than it was a no brainer. If we only wanted Napier and had to accept Graham that may or may not be worth it.

True, but the cash doesn't clear a roster spot or does it?

Guaranteed contract doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed roster spot. I don't know how we feel about Graham, but there's still a chance he doesn't make the team.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM

Post#39 » by shrink » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

We actually need cheap players this year to fill out our roster spots and stay under the lux.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep Graham, even if he never suits up.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

shrink wrote:We actually need cheap players this year to fill out our roster spots and stay under the lux.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep Graham, even if he never suits up.

Also true

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves