ImageImage

Anfernee Simons-Potential?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Re: Anfernee Simons-Potential? 

Post#41 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:48 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I think we've officially hit critical mass with Simons overhype for the summer.

Read on Twitter

Klay mixed with Dame would make Simons one of the Top 5 players in the league.... yeah... not holding my breath for that.

LOL...I think it's kind of funny

as you know, my tendency is to go a little overboard in not buying into the hype of a young Blazer (is that underboard?). I'm skeptical of potential. I've just seen the supposed ceilings of most of these guys get revised lower and lower the more they 'establish' themselves

personally, I think Simons is going to become a pretty good player. I don't know how good because I'm not great at predicting the future (if I was I would have bought Apple and Amazon in 1998). Maybe his ceiling could be CJ? He has enough athleticism, quickness, and body control to be good and his shot-making is advanced for a 20 year old

but this Simons-hype-blizzard is completely out of control. I find myself hoping this is all coming from 'off-the-record' chatter by Olshey because he wants trade chips for a blockbuster trade. Even if that isn't the case, I suspect much of this is Olshey since it kind of matches his on the record comments. He loves CJ's game and Simons has a lot of it. Sure would be better for Portland long term if Simons can quickly reach CJ's level, or get close enough that Portland can explore CJ trades instead of giving him a max extension

one other thing at work here: NBA media, including blogs, has to be one of the biggest echo chambers around
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#42 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I think we've officially hit critical mass with Simons overhype for the summer.

Read on Twitter

Klay mixed with Dame would make Simons one of the Top 5 players in the league.... yeah... not holding my breath for that.

LOL...I think it's kind of funny

as you know, my tendency is to go a little overboard in not buying into the hype of a young Blazer (is that underboard?). I'm skeptical of potential. I've just seen the supposed ceilings of most of these guys get revised lower and lower the more they 'establish' themselves

personally, I think Simons is going to become a pretty good player. I don't know how good because I'm not great at predicting the future (if I was I would have bought Apple and Amazon in 1998). Maybe his ceiling could be CJ? He has enough athleticism, quickness, and body control to be good and his shot-making is advanced for a 20 year old

but this Simons-hype-blizzard is completely out of control. I find myself hoping this is all coming from 'off-the-record' chatter by Olshey because he wants trade chips for a blockbuster trade. Even if that isn't the case, I suspect much of this is Olshey since it kind of matches his on the record comments. He loves CJ's game and Simons has a lot of it. Sure would be better for Portland long term if Simons can quickly reach CJ's level, or get close enough that Portland can explore CJ trades instead of giving him a max extension

one other thing at work here: NBA media, including blogs, has to be one of the biggest echo chambers around

Those are all excellent points.

I thought the last sentence in the article was telling - and also probably backs up your and my theory that this is very Olshey driven...

“They say they are expecting big things from me,” Simons told me while sitting in the lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel in Las Vegas last week. Publicly, Blazers coaches have tried to temper the hype. But you can keep a secret for only so long.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#43 » by zzaj » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Lol, saying Simons could be like Klay is such a dumb statement. Klay is one of the best two-way SGs in the NBA. He's about 30 levels up from Simons defensively. Not to mention Klay is 3.5" taller than Simons without shoes and came into the league 22lbs heavier. I'd give Simons about a 3% chance of ever being as good as Klay Thompson at the game of basketball...

Buuuut, if Simons comes out and averages 22/4/4 while averaging a career TS% of .575 and 42% from 3pt? That would make the Blazers an infinitely better team.

I thought trainer's were supposed to keep their clients hungry for success? Why is this guy floating such nonsense out into the media-sphere?
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#44 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 pm

I'm taking privileges to make an analogy.

Colin Cowherd recently made the point that Westbrook had a HUGE amount of influence on how the Thunder held practice, talked to the media, etc. HUGE pull. That he was catered to because he mattered and could make those demands. BUT isn't it interesting that Billy Donovan -- who hasn't won a bunch of playoff games -- hasn't been in danger of losing his job. It's almost as if Presti and the OKC decision makers KNEW that Westbrook was important AND they had reached a ceiling with him ... so Donovan wasn't the issue about playoff losses. The Paul George trade request became the impetus for a massive REBUILD.

So my analogy to the Blazers and Simons is that the Blazers both traded Turner AND haven't brought in a backup PG -- either as insurance or as an identified backup need. While Hezonja HAS limited experience as a point-forward or whatever position he plays, Simons is IT at backup PG. Since I don't see Olshey as a guy without contingencies and plans AND that Stotts has to do the coaching ...

MAYBE Simons is The Guy at backup PG and with SG minutes, too. The HYPE machine is fully functioning. BUT isn't it interesting ... maybe, just maybe, he is headed for great things in the NBA. [Yes, backup PG to all star is a ridiculous leap, but I'm not projecting what his ceiling might be, either.]
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#45 » by Showdown » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Quick's prediction is that he will average 12 points
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#46 » by Malapropism » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:The juxtaosition between his passing vision in the SAC game and the SL is staggering. He had some passes in that SAC game that I have never, ever seen CJ make.

I still think his best comparison is far and away Lou Williams with a bit of that offensive smoothness than got Jeremy Lamb so much hype. I hope he is still growing and hits 6'5. That would be awesome.

Lou Williams would be a great ceiling for Simons. In a lot of ways, Lou is a better player than CJ.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#47 » by ebott » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:11 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote: Simons is IT at backup PG. Since I don't see Olshey as a guy without contingencies and plans AND that Stotts has to do the coaching ...

MAYBE Simons is The Guy at backup PG and with SG minutes, too. The HYPE machine is fully functioning. BUT isn't it interesting ... maybe, just maybe, he is headed for great things in the NBA. [Yes, backup PG to all star is a ridiculous leap, but I'm not projecting what his ceiling might be, either.]

Call me short sighted, but I don't at this moment I don't care what Simons's ceiling is. I am wondering what his ability to handle the rock against real NBA point guards on a consistent basis is going to be like this season. He did not look all that capable of it during summer league. How many close games will get out of hand in the early fourth quarter because Simons has a few too many turnovers and isn't really capable of running an offense yet.

I feel like we've got another season where we kinda just have one shot. I firmly believe that we will lose Whiteside in free agency. Then when we try to replace him in free agency we will fail and we will continue to slide and we will have four more years of first round and outs. Not like that really matters cause season after next the Warriors will be back to full strength and the rest of the league is just playing for second.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#48 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm

ebott wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote: Simons is IT at backup PG. Since I don't see Olshey as a guy without contingencies and plans AND that Stotts has to do the coaching ...

Call me short sighted, but I don't at this moment I don't care what Simons's ceiling is. I am wondering what his ability to handle the rock against real NBA point guards on a consistent basis is going to be like this season. He did not look all that capable of it during summer league. How many close games will get out of hand in the early fourth quarter because Simons has a few too many turnovers and isn't really capable of running an offense yet.

I feel like we've got another season where we kinda just have one shot. I firmly believe that we will lose Whiteside in free agency. Then when we try to replace him in free agency we will fail and we will continue to slide and we will have four more years of first round and outs. Not like that really matters cause season after next the Warriors will be back to full strength and the rest of the league is just playing for second.

I don't get the one yr of Whiteside thing, he's basically taking Nurks place until he's back and we did not have Nurk during last yrs
WCF run, if he's fully engaged he's a big plus as is Nurk when healthy. If Hassan has a big yr I would not be surprised if we tried to use him in a trade with other players/picks for an upgrage at of of the forward spots - however this makes assumptions that Nurk is back and playing OK, however if our team is doing very, very well with Hassan and we have good player growth from Simons/Collins and perhaps a guy like Mario we IMO would likely keep Hassan thru the season with legit hopes of another deep playoff run. Lots of variables here which makes trying to forecast what we might do at the deadline VERY difficult. I mean some modest player growth, with an engaged Hassan and then lets say a solid Nurkbyy playoff time could make this team very dangerous. Again, lots of assumptions here but IMO not fantasy stuff IMO
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,425

Post#49 » by Myth » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:20 pm

My hope for Simons and the Blazers is that he is to us what Reggie Jackson was for the Thunder. He could contribute well off the bench, show enough value that a team wants to try him as their starter, and gives us a decent trade package once he demands too much money and playing time to keep on the bench.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#50 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 pm

One thing I like is the idea of always having 2 of Dame/CJ/Simons on the court. Obviously you are going to see a bit of Bazemore at the 2 as well but I see him playing more SF. That is a lot of pressure to keep onna defense.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#51 » by d-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Goldbum wrote:One thing I like is the idea of always having 2 of Dame/CJ/Simons on the court. Obviously you are going to see a bit of Bazemore at the 2 as well but I see him playing more SF. That is a lot of pressure to keep onna defense.

Simons has a lot to prove to be our best option backing up Lillard and CJ. Bazemore and Hood are good options. Even Mario has proven more capable than Simons so far.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#52 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm

d-train wrote:
Goldbum wrote:One thing I like is the idea of always having 2 of Dame/CJ/Simons on the court. Obviously you are going to see a bit of Bazemore at the 2 as well but I see him playing more SF. That is a lot of pressure to keep onna defense.

Simons has a lot to prove to be our best option backing up Lillard and CJ. Bazemore and Hood are good options. Even Mario has proven more capable than Simons so far.

He does have a LOT to prove and it certainly sounds like he is going to get his opportunity this coming season, if he flops then we likely look to add another PG, if he is decent then we likely let him grow, if he does well that puts us in a very nice place be this yr and next summer and perhaps even at the deadline. I think he will do well as he has talent and great role models in Dame and CJ, should be fun to watch
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#53 » by zzaj » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:25 am

This is slightly OT, but thought it might be interesting for some. Basically a pickup game (read no defense played) featuring Simons and Little. Of course, basically nothing can be gleaned from these kind of videos, but they are kinda fun to watch, nonetheless:

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#54 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:51 am

We'll likely one of Dame/CJ on the court at all times, especially at the start of the season. Simons will
have earn his minutes and will struggle at times much like Zach has struggled at times in his first two
seasons. Let's see where the team is in January in the standings for the western conference is going to
be tough for if they are treading water, they could either be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#55 » by dunlop212 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:44 pm

I think that the perceived issues in Simons game will be dealt with in some way. Compare him to Collins, who hasn't shown a consistent offensive game and will likely always be a poor rebounder, but is expected to be an important part of the rotation.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Blazers Grooming Future Duo With Simons, Trent

In the 2018 NBA Draft, Portland selected Anfernee Simons in the first round and traded for the rights to Gary Trent Jr. in the second. Banking on depth and development, both players spent the majority of their seasons learning from those ahead of them in the pecking order.

In the final game of the regular season, with playoff seeding on the line, the rookie one-two punch combined for an impressive 56 points en route to an improbable comeback over the Sacramento Kings. Simons poured in seven three-pointers and Trent came up huge on both ends of the floor against the team that dealt him to Portland.

It was a memorable moment that not only gave the two a meaningful experience.

Simons and Trent did get their time to shine, however, at the 2019 NBA Summer League. And they did not take the opportunity for granted.

As the veterans of the Portland squad in Las Vegas, Simons and Trent averaged a combined 42.6 points per game. They played off one another beautifully and improved other facets of their game, to boot, in their second summer league experience as teammates and being leaders.

“Me and Gary are the only people that have really been here, so we kinda gotta help everybody out on the court as well,” Simons said. “So I’m always directing people to stay right here and I’mma have you help. And just kinda staying talkative.”

“Me and him work countless hours in the gym with the coaches,” Trent said. “Working on our jumpers day in and day out. So when it’s time to showcase and prove it, that’s what we’re trying to do.”

As Trent flaunts his IQ and uses his bigger frame to his advantage, Simons utilizes his fearlessness. Key in on the kinds of shots he takes and you’ll promptly realize why the one they call “Ant” is so difficult to defend. The IMG Academy product is a bolt of lightning that constantly plays downhill. He’s able to drive to the rim, but there are times where he’ll just stop on a dime and fire a triple, from Lillard-like distances in some instances.

There’s explosiveness within Simons’ game, on that keeps you on your toes. Yet, it’s the unpredictability of what he’s going to do—a sidestep three, a sprint into the paint or a quick crossover into a mid-ranger—that gives him a real edge. “Obviously, I got a long way to go. But I think I’m going in the right direction,” Simons said.

There’s no doubt with either when it comes to their potential as individual talents. They can be that much more threatening if they play off one another. Moran sees Simons taking the load off Trent’s shoulders, but the flipside is true too as both can handle the ball and initiate sets.

Time will only tell when it will be their turn to command the spotlight at the highest level in basketball. It’s not an overnight thing — equally, it’s important to remember that Simons and Trent are still only 20 years old. Gradual progress in their respective careers will be important in ensuring consistent success. They’ve also got to produce against higher-level competition. But if this continues into training camp, preseason and practice, Simons and Trent may force Terry Stotts and Portland’s hand to find a real role for both.
Basketball Insiders
Renegade
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#57 » by Renegade » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
In the final game of the regular season, with playoff seeding on the line, the rookie one-two punch combined for an impressive 56 points en route to an improbable comeback over the Sacramento Kings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blazer's playoff seed was already set entering the game. That's why they were playing.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#58 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Renegade wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
In the final game of the regular season, with playoff seeding on the line, the rookie one-two punch combined for an impressive 56 points en route to an improbable comeback over the Sacramento Kings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blazer's playoff seed was already set entering the game. That's why they were playing.

You are wrong. Multiple games that night had to break the Blazers way to get the third seed and due to several surprise victories it happened(I can't remember who beat Houston that last night but IIRC it was considered an upset)
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Renegade
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#59 » by Renegade » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

You are wrong. Multiple games that night had to break the Blazers way to get the third seed and due to several surprise victories it happened(I can't remember who beat Houston that last night but IIRC it was considered an upset)

I stand corrected. Thanks.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#60 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

actually, Houston had been beaten the night before Portland's final game and Denver had the 2nd seed locked up

Portland was playing for either the 3rd seed or 4th seed in their final game against the Kings, and it's pretty clear the Blazers thought they'd have a better shot against Utah than OKC by how they played their final game against the Kings. Simon and Skal led Portland to a 'surprise' win against the Kings when Sacramento held out their starters in the 2nd half.

it couldn't have worked out better for Portland than it did, although my bet is that is it has most everybody in Portland, maybe including the Blazer FO, overrating the Blazers a little based upon the playoffs. I think Utah would have put up much more of a fight than OKC did, and if Portland did beat the Jazz, getting swept by the Warriors in the 2nd round would have put a much different spin on last season's playoffs

Return to Portland Trail Blazers