Image ImageImage Image

NBA FA Signings / Available players

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: NBA FA Signings / Available players 

Post#821 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 am

Chitownbulls wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
KeithBoothfan wrote:
Also, JJ Redick was Pax's first choice to man the SG spot (edit - other than Wade or Joe Johnson, at least) - they gave him an offer sheet that seemed like a fairly big overpay to try to pry him away from Orlando, but they matched anyway. JJ's defense might have driven Thibs batty at times, but he would have been better than anyone we ended up playing there. In the hindsight of the Jazz kinda surprisingly not matching the offer sheet to Matthews at a salary the Bulls could have offered, he would have been the best choice of the available options, but Redick was a good choice too.

I remember that, I was half pissed off and half intrigued when they offered him that contract.

Oh man I was pissed lol love JJ but we shouldn't have offered him that type of money.

I hated JJ as a player at the time so I was pissed, but I liked the idea of a shooter on the team so I was intrigued.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#822 » by panthermark » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:11 pm

dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:I don't know what Paxson was thinking with Ronnie Brewer. I never understood that signing. It is like Paxson looked at his FG% and said "oh, this guy is great!"....Brewer was no where near as effective here as he was in Utah. You could see that coming a mile away.

his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.
but pax wasn't thinking about that so much as he was thinking about defense. and if brewer was expected to be as impactful offensively as he had been in prior seasons he wouldn't have been available for the money that he was signed for

obviously wes matthews would have been the better signing in retrospect, but he was an undrafted player coming off a not particularly notable rookie season

Hi TS% the years prior were amazing. If his skill declined in one year and we signed him anyway, that GarPax are bigger fools than I thought.

But I do remember arguing...a lot...on this forum that Matthews was the guy we should go after...not Brewer (or Reddick for that matter).
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#823 » by dice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:22 am

panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:I don't know what Paxson was thinking with Ronnie Brewer. I never understood that signing. It is like Paxson looked at his FG% and said "oh, this guy is great!"....Brewer was no where near as effective here as he was in Utah. You could see that coming a mile away.

his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.
but pax wasn't thinking about that so much as he was thinking about defense. and if brewer was expected to be as impactful offensively as he had been in prior seasons he wouldn't have been available for the money that he was signed for

obviously wes matthews would have been the better signing in retrospect, but he was an undrafted player coming off a not particularly notable rookie season

Hi TS% the years prior were amazing. If his skill declined in one year and we signed him anyway, that GarPax are bigger fools than I thought.

But I do remember arguing...a lot...on this forum that Matthews was the guy we should go after...not Brewer (or Reddick for that matter).

per 36:

'07-'08 16p on 61% ts
'08-'09 15p on 57% ts
'09-'10 11p on 52% ts (expiring contract traded to memphis for #20 pick - nice return - immediately gets injured, plays only 80 min for the team the rest of the season and they let him walk)

'10-11 10p on 52% ts, 5r, 3a, 1to and 2s for bulls

he earned his money in that first year even without the hoped for return-to-form with the scoring
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
panthermark
RealGM

Post#824 » by panthermark » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:33 am

dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.

per 36:

'07-'08 16p on 61% ts
'08-'09 15p on 57% ts
'09-'10 11p on 52% ts (expiring contract traded to memphis for #20 pick - nice return - immediately gets injured, plays only 80 min for the team the rest of the season and they let him walk)

he earned his money in that first year even without the hoped for return-to-form with the scoring

Brewer sucked...
Are you looking at his PER36 numbers? He only started one game that year (Bogans was the starter) and he averaged 22 minutes per game...so those is not what he averaged per game.

He provided no spacing (he took a three pointer once every three games...and hit at 22.2%). He didn't get to the line much (even PER36 would have put him at 2.7 FTA's per game, and he shot them at a brutal 65.4%).

He was a good defender that scored on run outs and baseline cuts..hence the high(ish) FG% (48%)..but he didn't provide the Bulls much of what they needed on offense. If you are looking at his numbers at bballref...look at his FG% by distance. Dude was brutal beyond 3 feet.
dice
RealGM

Post#825 » by dice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 am

panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:Hi TS% the years prior were amazing. If his skill declined in one year and we signed him anyway, that GarPax are bigger fools than I thought.

per 36:

'07-'08 16p on 61% ts
'08-'09 15p on 57% ts

Brewer sucked...
Are you looking at his PER36 numbers? He only started one game that year (Bogans was the starter) and he averaged 22 minutes per game...so those is not what he averaged per game.

He provided no spacing (he took a three pointer once every three games...and hit at 22.2%). He didn't get to the line much (even PER36 would have put him at 2.7 FTA's per game, and he shot them at a brutal 65.4%).

He was a good defender that scored on run outs and baseline cuts..hence the high(ish) FG% (48%)..but he didn't provide the Bulls much of what they needed on offense. If you are looking at his numbers at bballref...look at his FG% by distance. Dude was brutal beyond 3 feet.

reread the last sentence of my last post
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
panthermark
RealGM

Post#826 » by panthermark » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 am

dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:per 36:

'07-'08 16p on 61% ts
'08-'09 15p on 57% ts

Brewer sucked...

Yeah, you claimed he earned his money. I claimed he sucked and provided no spacing. Now what?
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#827 » by Chitownbulls » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:24 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:
Chitownbulls wrote:Dallas Mavericks are releasing Giannis Antetokounmpo's brother Kostas....Bulls should sign him! Giannis needs to start thinking about Chicago! Give us a POSSIBLE recruiting tool.

Toronto is claiming him off waivers per reports.

Lakers get Kostas on a 2 way deal...smh

We should have signed either 1 of the brothers. Let Giannis take notice that we are interested!
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
dice
RealGM

Post#828 » by dice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 pm

panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:Brewer sucked...

Yeah, you claimed he earned his money. I claimed he sucked and provided no spacing. Now what?

how about admitting that defense and good decision making with the ball matter?
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#829 » by League Circles » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:08 pm

panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:
panthermark wrote:Hi TS% the years prior were amazing. If his skill declined in one year and we signed him anyway, that GarPax are bigger fools than I thought.

per 36:

'07-'08 16p on 61% ts
'08-'09 15p on 57% ts

Brewer sucked...

Ronnie Brewer really wasn't a good defender for us. He was an outright amazingly elite defender IMO. Arguably the best defender on the best defense in the league.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#830 » by drosestruts » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:17 pm

I would feel so much better going into the season if we signed Iman Shumpert, who is still out there.

At this point I have no idea if we can get anything worthwhile for Dunn and I'm ready to say "**** it" and just buy out him and Blakeney to create room for Shaq Harrison and if it were up to me, Iman Shumpert.

Shumpert gives us depth at the 2 and 3 and was noted as a good locker room presence in Sacramento last season. I know it's not an earth-shattering signing, but it's nearly August - there are not hidden stars out there (except maybe Dragan Bender but that's a different discussion).

Minutes distribution:

Satoransky (28) / Arcidiacano (12) / White (8)
LaVine (30) / White (8) / Valentine or Shaq(10)
Porter (32) / Shumpert (16)
Markkanen (30) / Young (18)
Carter Jr (27) / Kornet (21)

Valentine and Hutch or free to earn minutes from Shump, but I'd like them to earn those minutes.

Breaking down the minutes is interesting because I find myself in other threads defending Valentine, then when I stop to think about who from our team I want to put out on the court I hardly mention him (granted I do mention Shumpert who's not on our team, as things stand now I'd be giving those minutes to Val or Hutch)
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#831 » by FriedRise » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Still unsigned:

JR Smith
Shaun Livingston
Carmelo Anthony
Jonathan Simmons
Iman Shumpert
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Thabo Sefolosha
Lance Stephenson
Dwight Howard
Jeremy Lin
Trey Burke
Kenneth Faried
Luol Deng
Jonas Jerebko
Joakim Noah
Lance Thomas
Ian Clark
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 646

Post#832 » by Rose2Boozer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm

I would love to see Noah and Thabo back in a Bulls uniform. They're way too many guards on the roster. It almost seems like a fetish.

The Celtics could probably use Howard and Faried. They look pretty thin upfront.
ROLES & HOLES
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#833 » by d boy gentleman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am

FriedRise wrote:Still unsigned:

JR Smith
Shaun Livingston
Carmelo Anthony
Jonathan Simmons
Iman Shumpert
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Thabo Sefolosha
Lance Stephenson
Dwight Howard
Jeremy Lin
Trey Burke
Kenneth Faried
Luol Deng
Jonas Jerebko
Joakim Noah
Lance Thomas
Ian Clark

Was always a Jamal Crawford fan, Still believe he can go even at 39. Would replace Dunn with him in a heart beat
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
dice
RealGM

Post#834 » by dice » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:14 am

d boy gentleman wrote:

JR Smith
Shaun Livingston
Carmelo Anthony
Jonathan Simmons
Iman Shumpert
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Thabo Sefolosha
Lance Stephenson
Dwight Howard
Jeremy Lin
Trey Burke
Kenneth Faried
Luol Deng
Jonas Jerebko
Joakim Noah
Lance Thomas
Ian Clark

Was always a Jamal Crawford fan, Still believe he can go even at 39. Would replace Dunn with him in a heart beat

you've heard of defensive turnstiles? turnstiles provide some resistance as you go through them. crawford is a defensive houseplant. his only remaining value in this league is a last possession of a quarter guy. which is true of a lot of guys who retired long ago. crawford has been d-league caliber for the past few years and end-of-bench caliber for at least a few years before that
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#835 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 am

Im suprised Sefolosha, Faried, Howard and Crawford are still available .. I would have them all LOL
but Sefo would be our target I think,if we didnt had returning Valentine and also Hutch..
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#836 » by sco » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:Im suprised Sefolosha, Faried, Howard and Crawford are still available .. I would have them all LOL
but Sefo would be our target I think,if we didnt had returning Valentine and also Hutch..

I think age for all except Faried is the issue. IDK why he hasn't been added. He looked really good last season. I guess it just goes to show how little value non-stretch 4's have now around the league.
:clap:
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#837 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 pm

dice wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:

JR Smith
Shaun Livingston
Carmelo Anthony
Jonathan Simmons
Iman Shumpert
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Thabo Sefolosha
Lance Stephenson
Dwight Howard
Jeremy Lin
Trey Burke
Kenneth Faried
Luol Deng
Jonas Jerebko
Joakim Noah
Lance Thomas
Ian Clark

you've heard of defensive turnstiles? turnstiles provide some resistance as you go through them. crawford is a defensive houseplant. his only remaining value in this league is a last possession of a quarter guy. which is true of a lot of guys who retired long ago. crawford has been d-league caliber for the past few years and end-of-bench caliber for at least a few years before that

Now that’s just mean, :lol:
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#838 » by Indomitable » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:22 pm

panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:

He tore his hamstring badly Utah and reacquired surgery. He never was the same after that. I always felt sorry for him. He broke his arm as a child and they were unable to set his arm right. Brewer work hard his body failed him.
:banghead:
dice
RealGM

Post#839 » by dice » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Indomitable wrote:
panthermark wrote:
dice wrote:his TS% his first year in chicago was the same as the previous year. it wasn't a utah vs chicago thing. it was a skill in decline thing.

He tore his hamstring badly Utah and reacquired surgery. He never was the same after that. I always felt sorry for him. He broke his arm as a child and they were unable to set his arm right. Brewer work hard his body failed him.

agree to some extent, but give me nba genetics, a broken arm as a kid and a $20 mil career and I'm good
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#840 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 pm

JR Smith
Shaun Livingston
Carmelo Anthony
Jonathan Simmons
Iman Shumpert
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Thabo Sefolosha
Lance Stephenson
Dwight Howard
Jeremy Lin
Trey Burke
Kenneth Faried
Luol Deng
Jonas Jerebko
Joakim Noah
Lance Thomas
Ian Clark

I would target Livingston, Simmons, Howard, Faried, Deng, Lin, Jerebko, Noah, Clark for vet mins.
Wouldnt mind if we could have all these players and open cap space for someone like Durant & Irving.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!

Return to Chicago Bulls