ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1561 » by gigantes » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Funny AF. I really wish I could use any one of these pics as my avatar

Try these:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyVR64xW0AAR5io.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyVR64zWsAI4FyX.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyVR64wXQAIcPr6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyVR64zWsAAQuEq.jpg

I'm pinning this ish

how'd that pin work out?

Right. That’s why I pinned it, because sometimes we have such unrealistic ideas and thoughts. I never bought into the KI/KD thing - that’s why i was like, “imma pin it and see what’s up in a few months, but i hope you’re right”. You feel me?

Well, I feel what you're full of. Does that count? :)
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,869

Post#1562 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:00 pm

That dude is so full of ****, but not any different from most knick fans who feel dumb as **** right now
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1563 » by MGrand15 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I hope Rodi is bulking up. If Allen or DJ need to sit out a game, I guess he's our 3rd center.

This is why I have been hand wringing over getting a third center on the roster.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised. We went with RHJ or Dudley at center a decent amount last season and Allen/Davis were healthy all year. There's a pretty big hole there if guys are in foul trouble or injured. Maybe Allen steps up and becomes a 30+ minute guy makes a third center useless.

I guess the team is confident we can sign someone in case of emergency.

Throwing out names like Ellenson or Claxton is pretty wild. Those are G League guys lol
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#1564 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I hope Rodi is bulking up. If Allen or DJ need to sit out a game, I guess he's our 3rd center.

This is why I have been hand wringing over getting a third center on the roster.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised. We went with RHJ or Dudley at center a decent amount last season and Allen/Davis were healthy all year. There's a pretty big hole there if guys are in foul trouble or injured. Maybe Allen steps up and becomes a 30+ minute guy makes a third center useless.

Throwing out names like Ellenson or Claxton is pretty wild. Those are G League guys lol

I think Jordan and Allen can split the job evenly. Ellenson and Claxton I'd imagine are rare usage.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1565 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 pm

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#1566 » by GTR11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Paradise wrote:

Top 3 iso scorer ( we needed every damn pt last 2 seasons ) and 6 man imo in his prime. LeVert ready to break out and show rest of NBA who he really is, Kyrie is Kyrie top 3 pg in the game. We going to spank some ass next season, let them haters enjoy the moment and talk smack. Come Nov they'll be scared to death.
gigantes
Starter

Post#1567 » by gigantes » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm

I don't know if anyone else here agrees, but at this point, Kawhi Leonard comes off as a total snake-like, reptilian creature to me. Like, far, far above and beyond a prima donna superstar. More than that-- a guy who evidently really did dog it for the Spurs, and bargained in bad faith on multiple occasions, Toronto being the latest example.

Obviously that's based on a history of various news events and a number of different analyses and insider news to come out, some of it just recently. In any case, a huge portion of the plausible doubt in play has been erased for me at this point, leaving a pretty clear, consistent picture: i.e., this guy's a complete snake. Zero honor, zero accountabilty, and so forth. Totally ruthless, and even kind of pathetic in a sense, leaning so heavily on an uncle who sounds like a pure nightmare to deal with right from draft day.

Also, he has what...? A 2+1 contract at this point? (Eheh, and what are the odds exactly that he opts in for the final year?) So basically, the Clips sent off a massive load of picks and talent in order to make him happy enough to play for them for the next two years. Meanwhile, who knows HOW many games they'll actually get out of Mssr. CLAW, with his chronic neuropathy and whatever else a bruising style of play leads to? Not to mention, PG's in a little bit of a sketchy place too, playing with two surgically-repaired shoulders. Amirite...?

Now sure, this here equation could certainly lead to everlasting glory in the next two years, making it all worthwhile. No real arguments needed when it comes to a CHIP. OTOH, with the injury and re-injury potential, it could also legit turn in to a complete disaster, setting the Clips back years and years, given all those resources traded (or "squandered," even). Solace for the Billy Kings of the world, even.

IMO the Lakers aren't too dissimilar either, given LeBron's age and the possibility for AD to walk this summer. Indeed, LA as an NBA town might possibly be walking a tightrope right here. In other words, this all could potentially turn out ugly... like -real- ugly, for the "City of Angels."

In conclusion-- I wasn't the biggest fan of the Kyrie / Durant / Jordan signings, but I'm thrilled and relieved that the Nets continue to hold on to their assets, allowing us a prety quick pivot if things don't work out the way we hoped. All hail Sean Marks. :)
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#1568 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:08 am

gigantes wrote:I don't know if anyone else here agrees, but at this point, Kawhi Leonard comes off as a total snake-like, reptilian creature to me. Like, far, far above and beyond a prima donna superstar. More than that-- a guy who evidently really did dog it for the Spurs, and bargained in bad faith on multiple occasions, Toronto being the latest example.

Obviously that's based on a history of various news events and a number of different analyses and insider news to come out, some of it just recently. In any case, a huge portion of the plausible doubt in play has been erased for me at this point, leaving a pretty clear, consistent picture: i.e., this guy's a complete snake. Zero honor, zero accountabilty, and so forth. Totally ruthless, and even kind of pathetic in a sense, leaning so heavily on an uncle who sounds like a pure nightmare to deal with right from draft day.

Also, he has what...? A 2+1 contract at this point? (Eheh, and what are the odds exactly that he opts in for the final year?) So basically, the Clips sent off a massive load of picks and talent in order to make him happy enough to play for them for the next two years. Meanwhile, who knows HOW many games they'll actually get out of Mssr. CLAW, with his chronic neuropathy and whatever else a bruising style of play leads to? Not to mention, PG's in a little bit of a sketchy place too, playing with two surgically-repaired shoulders. Amirite...?

Now sure, this here equation could certainly lead to everlasting glory in the next two years, making it all worthwhile. No real arguments needed when it comes to a CHIP. OTOH, with the injury and re-injury potential, it could also legit turn in to a complete disaster, setting the Clips back years and years, given all those resources traded (or "squandered," even). Solace for the Billy Kings of the world, even.

IMO the Lakers aren't too dissimilar either, given LeBron's age and the possibility for AD to walk this summer. Indeed, LA as an NBA town might possibly be walking a tightrope right here. In other words, this all could potentially turn out ugly... like -real- ugly, for the "City of Angels."

In conclusion-- I wasn't the biggest fan of the Kyrie / Durant / Jordan signings, but I'm thrilled and relieved that the Nets continue to hold on to their assets, allowing us a prety quick pivot if things don't work out the way we hoped. All hail Sean Marks. :)

I mean to his defense, he wasn't feeling right when he came back from injury but the Spurs tried to rush him out there, he knows his body best and if he doesn't feel right playing then there's no need to worsen the injury for his future,. Look what happen to KD in the finals. Spurs were salty Kawhi got his own doctors to check his injury which was the right decision.

I'll be honest though, it did leave a bad taste how he took so long in making his decision and he hurt 2 franchises because of it. But he has the right to do that. The players run the league now, not the owners, it is what it is at this point.

The reason why he got the the 2+1 is so he can opt out after 2 years, same time PG contract ends, is so he can get the supermax of 10 plus years in service which he can sign a mega deal contract for 250 plus million like Dame and others have signed, can't blame him for trying to get all of his worth. I can't imagine him leaving unless him and PG don't get along or if they don't past the 2nd round these next 2 years which I personally don't see happening.

Yea you have a point that it can be a disaster but I think you have to take that chance and take the risk in order to create a dynasty or multiple championships. These guys are superstars, top 10 players in their prime right now, you have to take the chance in my opinion. I'm pretty confident the Clippers will be ok because they have Jerry West and a owner who will spend as much as it takes to win. But I don't know about Lakers, LeBron is 36 and might be on his last star legs, so if this year don't go well I can definitely see AD leaving. The Lakers window can very well be tiny, but if AD re signs then they have him to sell other players on and he's still young in his prime.

I totally agree with you, at first I was skeptical of Kyrie because of all the drama around him, and ofcourse KD because of the injury. But we didn't give up not 1 asset, besides DLo but it's a wash with Kyrie here. And I'm sure everybody here is not worried about Marks drafting skills . I see Kawhi and PG spending most of their prime years together but not sure about the Lakers franchise right now.
gigantes
Starter

Post#1569 » by gigantes » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 am

Papi_swav wrote:I mean to his defense, he wasn't feeling right when he came back from injury but the Spurs tried to rush him out there, he knows his body best and if he doesn't feel right playing then there's no need to worsen the injury for his future,. Look what happen to KD in the finals. Spurs were salty Kawhi got his own doctors to check his injury which was the right decision.

Thing is-- from the body of evidence, the Spurs never "rushed" Kawhi along, at all.

It makes little sense for them to do so, anyway. #1) It would be truly unSpurslike based on their body of player-relations, and #2) REALLY shortsighted & needy coming from a franchise which has built a reputation upon resting players and deeply respecting / cooperating with their recuperation. #3) Especially doing so upon a franchise player, in particular.

(This is also an historically smart, canny org, let's not forget... one who Sean Marks cut his teeth on)

But yeah, this whole narrative of 'the Spurs trying to rush Kawhi back against doctor's orders' is flying in the face of quite a few takes and analyses IMO. I guess I can dig some of them up, if necessary, if you really need me to do that. And sure, there's obviously POV and opinion involved. People can be wrong, and biased, and lazy, for sure. Just like me.

That said, Kawhi repeatedly comes off to me as a completely moral-less long, thin reptilian creature, repeatedly hiding behind 'Uncle Dennis' in a sort of cheap good cop-bad cop fakeout. A completely self-interested great player, but still a fraud, as it were. Am I being too harsh, tho? Maybe. But if people are free & easy enough to wreck LeBron (and others) for their FA decisions, I certainly don't see that Kawhi gets a pass.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1570 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:04 am

I have no issue with Kawhi. Perhaps he could have given the Raptors early notice like Kyrie did to Ainge, but that’s the worst I can say about him. The process obviously took as long as it did, because he wanted the Clippers to land a 2nd star. Had a deal for PG been struck sooner, his decision would have been made sooner.

Also, as mentioned, the 2+1 was done to time his opt out for his 10 year service anniversary. That allows him to sign a new deal starting at 35% of a higher cap. Players have been doing that for years.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1571 » by Prokorov » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I think Jordan and Allen can split the job evenly. Ellenson and Claxton I'd imagine are rare usage.

Ellenson will likely be in street clothes 65 games a year. Claxton is a wing in our system, he should see sme minutes behind rodi
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#1572 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:

Ellenson will likely be in street clothes 65 games a year. Claxton is a wing in our system, he should see sme minutes behind rodi

Don't wings need to be able to shoot 3s? What was Claxton shooting in college from 3?
Ellenson will probably be GL most of the season but I can see him getting time before Claxton.
Paradise

Post#1573 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Epic trolling by the NBA.

Read on Twitter

Happy Birthday, DJ!
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#1574 » by Lamak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:24 pm

been so glad about durant and irving, barely think about deandre jordan. wonder how he'll contribute and what game shape he'll be in
Brooklyn Nets
Paradise

Post#1575 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Reverend DeAndre.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1576 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 am

Lamak wrote:been so glad about durant and irving, barely think about deandre jordan. wonder how he'll contribute and what game shape he'll be in

With the Nets training staff, he'll probably be fine. Look at his numbers last year....the dude is still a productive player.

Ask Demarre Carroll what the Nets training staff did for him.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1577 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254987/NBA-Opens-Investigation-Into-How-Free-Agency-Operated-This-Offseason

The NBA has opened an investigation into how free agency operated this offseason. The league office heard concerns from owners over the number of deals that were completed during the opening hours of free agency.

Sources tell Zach Lowe and Brian Windhorst that the scope of the investigation is still being determined.

It is technically against league rules for players to tamper with each other and work together on transactions before the opening of free agency. The NBA has previously set a precedent that they wouldn't punish players as it is difficult to police play-to-player communication.

While the NBA may not eventually issue any formal punishment, it could lead to modifications of the free agency system.

oh wait, there may not be any formal punishment...

Investigate away then

gigantes
Starter

Post#1578 » by gigantes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 am

TheNetsFan wrote:I have no issue with Kawhi. Perhaps he could have given the Raptors early notice like Kyrie did to Ainge, but that’s the worst I can say about him...

I think those that have kept up with he and his uncle's actions & behavior the past few years could say far, far worse.

Latest news is that he may have violated the CBA (with Toronto), according to SAS. Also, it seems the NBA is now opening a free agent tampering investigation into this offseason's activities, with Kawhi likely front & center in that business.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1579 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:56 am

gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I have no issue with Kawhi. Perhaps he could have given the Raptors early notice like Kyrie did to Ainge, but that’s the worst I can say about him...

I think those that have kept up with he and his uncle's actions & behavior the past few years could say far, far worse.

Latest news is that he may have violated the CBA (with Toronto), according to SAS. Also, it seems the NBA is now opening a free agent tampering investigation into this offseason's activities, with Kawhi likely front & center in that business.

we need to hope this tampering investigation goes nowhere because the Nets might get in trouble too if the league wants to actually take action.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1580 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:28 am

there is no action to take. this may lead to them changing rules. they likely want to deter this buddy system.

Return to Brooklyn Nets