ImageImageImage

Mavericks Summer of 2019

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1781 » by Lowtech801 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 am

bobsquad wrote:Doesn't Washington probably want picks for Beal? Wish we could put together an attractive package, but it will take more than salary dump to entice a rebuilding team.

We got lucky with Porzingis that the Knicks knew they were signing Durant and Kyrie and priority #1 was to clear space before the deadline (also that KP publicly wanted out). And even then we had to include 2 firsts and a recent lottery pick.
Yeah if Washington decides it's time to rebuild they're going to want assets we don't have for Beal. Using him to take on Wall's contract doesn't benefit them unless they're clearing cap space for superstars which they aren't as they aren't a free agent destination.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1782 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Doesn't Washington probably want picks for Beal? Wish we could put together an attractive package, but it will take more than salary dump to entice a rebuilding team.

We got lucky with Porzingis that the Knicks knew they were signing Durant and Kyrie and priority #1 was to clear space before the deadline (also that KP publicly wanted out). And even then we had to include 2 firsts and a recent lottery pick.
Yeah if Washington decides it's time to rebuild they're going to want assets we don't have for Beal. Using him to take on Wall's contract doesn't benefit them unless they're clearing cap space for superstars which they aren't as they aren't a free agent destination.

The main competitor for Beal's services is Miami and Pat Riley.

They can offer Winslow and Adebayo. But they don't have any picks anymore and they can't take on John Wall's deal.

Dallas is one of the few teams left who can do that. I think Beal is leaving Washington in two seasons. They need to get something out of him otherwise losing him for nothing is like Kawhi leaving Toronto with nothing. To be able to rid Wall's contract along with Beal is a plus. It's a new regime there after Grunfeld got fired and they want a clean slate. The same way the new guys in New York had to fix what Phil Jackson did.

Mavs would probably (have) to do it. It's Bradley Beal. No brainer.
Wiz maybe 50-50. If they're losing him like Kawhi or AD, they might prefer to get something out of it.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1783 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am

we have to take note, this is a team that was willing to commit the next 4 years and $120M to Kemba Walker. we just missed out. But they were ready to commit the next 4 years and play with zero defense with Luka and Kemba in the backcourt.

I'd imagine if an opportunity opened up with Beal, Cuban would be all over it. Beal is 6'4, only 26 years old, plays defense and shoots the 3 at an All NBA level. Just by those alone, he would be an even better fit than Kemba IMO, and we were supposed to bet our future on Kemba.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#1784 » by Lowtech801 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:05 am

arkuo wrote:we have to take note, this is a team that was willing to commit the next 4 years and $120M to Kemba Walker. we just missed out. But they were ready to commit the next 4 years and play with zero defense with Luka and Kemba in the backcourt.

I'd imagine if an opportunity opened up with Beal, Cuban would be all over it. Beal is 6'4, only 26 years old, plays defense and shoots the 3 at an All NBA level. Just by those alone, he would be an even better fit than Kemba IMO, and we were supposed to bet our future on Kemba.
Sure but you're acting like it's in Washingtons best interest to trade him now. They'll get better assets for him in the following off season. Also they're going to want as much as possible for him and forcing Wall down interested teams throats will limit the return so they would not do that. They have no reason to get out from under Walls contract because it wont bring them anything in return. Next off season before free agency there would be more teams with cap space to drive up his value. Unless they have an idiot for a GM that's what they'll do.

For example New Orleans has already expressed interest with the Wizard's front office and next off season they can take him into their salary cap and throw in first round picks and nothing else if Washington wants to save money.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1785 » by BlueSan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:53 am

Guys in all honesty this is best for Luka's and Porzingis' development. If they play it great as we think they can, we'll be really good and also you can be sure someone will want to join up and create a trio soon. But if they dont than of course that will be a problem.

But basically it would be a lot harder having 3 "stars" to mold well, the natural progression for Luka and Porzingis' who is returning back from injury is in this season...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1786 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:01 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
arkuo wrote:we have to take note, this is a team that was willing to commit the next 4 years and $120M to Kemba Walker. we just missed out. But they were ready to commit the next 4 years and play with zero defense with Luka and Kemba in the backcourt.

Sure but you're acting like it's in Washingtons best interest to trade him now. They'll get better assets for him in the following off season. Also they're going to want as much as possible for him and forcing Wall down interested teams throats will limit the return so they would not do that. They have no reason to get out from under Walls contract because it wont bring them anything in return. Next off season before free agency there would be more teams with cap space to drive up his value. Unless they have an idiot for a GM that's what they'll do.

For example New Orleans has already expressed interest with the Wizard's front office and next off season they can take him into their salary cap and throw in first round picks and nothing else if Washington wants to save money.

That's true and that's why I said Washington maybe 50-50 on it. For the Mavs, we obviously do it because it's a no brainer.

New Orleans will have some problems filling up the Smoothie King Arena. That arena was empty even with AD playing his best basketball. I dont think they can just swallow John Wall's $40M while bleeding on the other end. That team need to move to Seattle or something TBH.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 844

Post#1787 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:13 pm

BlueSan wrote:Guys in all honesty this is best for Luka's and Porzingis' development. If they play it great as we think they can, we'll be really good and also you can be sure someone will want to join up and create a trio soon. But if they dont than of course that will be a problem.

But basically it would be a lot harder having 3 "stars" to mold well, the natural progression for Luka and Porzingis' who is returning back from injury is in this season...

Exactly what I think.
This season should primarily be about molding and developing Luka and KP as well as some of our other youth (Brunson, Jackson, Wright, etc...). Once they have some success we'll be attractive to FAs.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#1788 » by Lowtech801 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:19 pm

arkuo wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:

That's true and that's why I said Washington maybe 50-50 on it. For the Mavs, we obviously do it because it's a no brainer.

New Orleans will have some problems filling up the Smoothie King Arena. That arena was empty even with AD playing his best basketball. I dont think they can just swallow John Wall's $40M while bleeding on the other end. That team need to move to Seattle or something TBH.
Why do you keep mentioning swallowing john walls contract as if that's the route Washington would take? If the Wizards decides to go into rebuild, their number 1 priority is to get as much as they can for Beal. At that point they can sit on wall until his trade value rises and they can get assets for him as well.

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1789 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:28 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Worked with the trade checker now. But maybe because we still have $14M open? I dont know.

If Washington is open to dealing beal by Dec 15 because they couldn't sign him to an extension then that would just be exactly like the KP extension with New York.

Beal would be a perfect 2 guard opposite Luka. It's a league that wins with wings in the playoffs. Then Cuban can sit John Wall for 3 years until Rich Paul accepts a buy out. :lol:

trade works even with excluding Curry: (Beal + Wall salary) * 0.8 - 100,000 = 52,133,615.2 < = 52,517,856 = (THJ + Lee + Wright + Powell salary)

Ah, ok...I wasn't including Wright and/or Curry because I thought we'd have to wait until December to trade them.
Is that correct?

Yes, that's completely right. arkuo is/was talking about a December trade.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1790 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:03 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:Sure but you're acting like it's in Washingtons best interest to trade him now. They'll get better assets for him in the following off season. Also they're going to want as much as possible for him and forcing Wall down interested teams throats will limit the return so they would not do that. They have no reason to get out from under Walls contract because it wont bring them anything in return. Next off season before free agency there would be more teams with cap space to drive up his value. Unless they have an idiot for a GM that's what they'll do.

Why do you keep mentioning swallowing john walls contract as if that's the route Washington would take? If the Wizards decides to go into rebuild, their number 1 priority is to get as much as they can for Beal. At that point they can sit on wall until his trade value rises and they can get assets for him as well.

And why do you keep shooting the idea down as if its a route Washington won't consider? You're speculating that they wouldn't find a John Wall salary dump attractive. You don't know that. It's a trade idea, and unless you work with Leonisis and have inside information then the trade idea is just as valid as any out there. And just by that alone, my guess is just as good as yours. Fair game.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#1791 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:14 am

arkuo wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

And why do you keep shooting the idea down as if its a route Washington won't consider? You're speculating that they wouldn't find a John Wall salary dump attractive. You don't know that. It's a trade idea, and unless you work with Leonisis and have inside information then the trade idea is just as valid as any out there. And just by that alone, my guess is just as good as yours. Fair game.
Alright then.. agree to disagree. You're right I have no idea what they will do. But if he's a smart gm he'd rather get the most he can for beal and hold off a season or two on wall and see if he can build his value back up because they don't need the cap space for anything in the meantime.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#1792 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:Why do you keep mentioning swallowing john walls contract as if that's the route Washington would take? If the Wizards decides to go into rebuild, their number 1 priority is to get as much as they can for Beal. At that point they can sit on wall until his trade value rises and they can get assets for him as well.

Alright then.. agree to disagree. You're right I have no idea what they will do. But if he's a smart gm he'd rather get the most he can for beal and hold off a season or two on wall and see if he can build his value back up because they don't need the cap space for anything in the meantime.

That's a fair point. It's a new team that Sheppard is leading there anyway. So he might be a bit more conservative to pull the trigger on anything to protect his job. Compared to other seasoned GMs who have capital that is.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1793 » by BlueSan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:11 am

We made another idiotic move by waiving Kostas. Sure he is far from looking good, but it is not like he is hurting us sitting on a two way contract. You never waive a guy like him, more like you keep him just in case...

And naturally lo and behold Lakers sign him immediately...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1794 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:45 am

BlueSan wrote:We made another idiotic move by waiving Kostas. Sure he is far from looking good, but it is not like he is hurting us sitting on a two way contract. You never waive a guy like him, more like you keep him just in case...

Agreed. Since we waived both Kostas and Spalding, we essentially gave the 54th pick (Milton) away for nothing in return now.

Maybe they have higher expectations for Reaves and Roby in making the team.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1795 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am

arkuo wrote:
BlueSan wrote:We made another idiotic move by waiving Kostas. Sure he is far from looking good, but it is not like he is hurting us sitting on a two way contract. You never waive a guy like him, more like you keep him just in case...

Agreed. Since we waived both Kostas and Spalding, we essentially gave the 54th pick (Milton) away for nothing in return now.

I think it became pretty obvious that Kostas will never become a big that can spread the floor and it is becoming pretty clear that is where the Mavs are headed.
Personally I think the Mavs see Luka is at his best when he has the entire floor to work with and they will want all of their bigs to be able to move out to the 3pt line and be some type of threat. I think guys like Kostas and Mejri are toxic to Rick's system for that reason.
At least that is how I'm seeing this thing playing out this off-season. Roby and Reaves make more sense if that is the case. I could be wrong about all of this though.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,023

Post#1796 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I think it became pretty obvious that Kostas will never become a big that can spread the floor and it is becoming pretty clear that is where the Mavs are headed.
Personally I think the Mavs see Luka is at his best when he has the entire floor to work with and they will want all of their bigs to be able to move out to the 3pt line and be some type of threat. I think guys like Kostas and Mejri are toxic to Rick's system for that reason.
At least that is how I'm seeing this thing playing out this off-season. Roby and Reaves make more sense if that is the case. I could be wrong about all of this though.

Yet Rick still seems to be enamored with Powell
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1797 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Would you guys be willing to pay Draymond the max? Legit question.

At this rate and with the warriors being hard capped, there's really no way to pay Draymond now. And chances are he bolts. If it cant be done via S&T (Powell + Curry + Lee + DFS), then would you be willing to get him in for that price? Maybe for 3 years?

Although to be honest I can see the fit with KP at C. Draymond can anchor the paint and play pseudo C while KP roams the perimeter and sets picks. Draymond and KP both play defense. The concerns with Green are his price and number of years.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,812

Post#1798 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

arkuo wrote:Would you guys be willing to pay Draymond the max? Legit question.

At this rate and with the warriors being hard capped, there's really no way to pay Draymond now. And chances are he bolts. If it cant be done via S&T (Powell + Curry + Lee + DFS), then would you be willing to get him in for that price? Maybe for 3 years?

Although to be honest I can see the fit with KP at C. Draymond can anchor the paint and play pseudo C while KP roams the perimeter and sets picks. Draymond and KP both play defense. The concerns with Green are his price and number of years.

I’d love to have Draymond. Every championship contender needs a dog on their team... I was hoping that would be Pat Bev at a quarter of the price, but our front office sucks.. Paying Draymond the max would be very easy to defend
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#1799 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.
He's a nice energy bench caliber player but his role should be very limited imo.
I've never seen anyone his size, with that much energy and athleticism, with a great attitude, yield so very little in terms of stats.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1800 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I think it became pretty obvious that Kostas will never become a big that can spread the floor and it is becoming pretty clear that is where the Mavs are headed.

Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.
He's a nice energy bench caliber player but his role should be very limited imo.
I've never seen anyone his size, with that much energy and athleticism, with a great attitude, yield so very little in terms of stats.

lmfao, right? I like Powell, but I feel like the Mavs overvalue him for sure. I really want Steven Adams.

Return to Dallas Mavericks