ImageImageImageImageImage

Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#21 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:31 pm

killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:god damn i hate that lineup, we'd need multiple two-way wings and those guys don't grow on trees, a 6th man that can actually run offense (Evans, really?), more rim protection, more rebounding, more defense in the back court, etc.
It isn't my ideal lineup either, but it isn't bad either. If DLo proves he can play defense, it might actually be a lot better than we imagine. Two ball handlers to the likes of Curry and DLo in the backcourt. Klay is as good of a small forward as we're going to get get in free agency with what we're able to work with if we're not trading DLo or Draymond. As these past couple years have proven, the MLE gets us nothing. Rehab Boogie was a lucky circumstance.

So what else do we have to work with? I'm hoping Iguodala comes back for the vet. minimum. Maybe the TE will get us a player that a team no longer wants. But who the hell fits that mold? Will Barton? Dion Waiters?

As for the center position, I'm just hoping we get a decent one in free ageny for the vet. minimum like usual to fill in for minutes before Looney and Green clean up. But I also have hope for Spellman and Smailagic developing into contributing 5s.

But yeah, we still need depth at the small forward position. I think we can land a solid bench player, this team is a championship contender.

3 and D wings are overrated. What we need is a collection of the biggest and longest players with guard skills as possible. That's what "light-years" means. Prioritizing length and athleticism over skills is why teams like Orlando are never able to get off the treadmill.

Klay is a perfect example of the sort of SF we should get. He's not a great ballhandler, not a great passer but he's a top-3 finisher from anywhere on the court. With him at SF it frees up the guard positions to be filled with playmakers and Steph and D'lo figure to be the best playmaking combo in the league.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#22 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
clyde21 wrote:god damn i hate that lineup, we'd need multiple two-way wings and those guys don't grow on trees, a 6th man that can actually run offense (Evans, really?), more rim protection, more rebounding, more defense in the back court, etc.
It isn't my ideal lineup either, but it isn't bad either. If DLo proves he can play defense, it might actually be a lot better than we imagine. Two ball handlers to the likes of Curry and DLo in the backcourt. Klay is as good of a small forward as we're going to get get in free agency with what we're able to work with if we're not trading DLo or Draymond. As these past couple years have proven, the MLE gets us nothing. Rehab Boogie was a lucky circumstance.

So what else do we have to work with? I'm hoping Iguodala comes back for the vet. minimum. Maybe the TE will get us a player that a team no longer wants. But who the hell fits that mold? Will Barton? Dion Waiters?

As for the center position, I'm just hoping we get a decent one in free ageny for the vet. minimum like usual to fill in for minutes before Looney and Green clean up. But I also have hope for Spellman and Smailagic developing into contributing 5s.

But yeah, we still need depth at the small forward position. I think we can land a solid bench player, this team is a championship contender.

3 and D wings are overrated. What we need is a collection of the biggest and longest players with guard skills as possible. That's what "light-years" means. Prioritizing length and athleticism over skills is why teams like Orlando are never able to get off the treadmill.

Klay is a perfect example of the sort of SF we should get. He's not a great ballhandler, not a great passer but he's a top-3 finisher from anywhere on the court. With him at SF it frees up the guard positions to be filled with playmakers and Steph and D'lo figure to be the best playmaking combo in the league.
Agreed. As awesome as Klay is at the 2, I think he's going to work well at the 3. We've all been repeating it, but it needs to be said again, if DLo can step up his defense like Klay did when he realized it would help Curry do what he does, then we might have something special.

Just have to really hit some solid signings with the TE and MLE next summer to round out the roster.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#23 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:32 pm

In fear of Draymond declining the extension and leaving the warriors with nth...they should be proactive and seek a trade with Orl for Aaron Gordon. Salary is about the same. Gordon is a solid 2 way player. Both are eligible to be traded since they're not FAs. Dlo, Gordon, WCS is a nice core to build around.
Curry
Dlo
Klay
Gordon
WCS

It'd be nice if we can flip draymond for Bobby Portis+Knox+1st rder from the Knicks in the deadline.
Curry
Dlo
Klay/Knox
Portis
WCS
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#24 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:In fear of Draymond declining the extension and leaving the warriors with nth...they should be proactive and seek a trade with Orl for Aaron Gordon. Salary is about the same. Gordon is a solid 2 way player. Both are eligible to be traded since they're not FAs. Dlo, Gordon, WCS is a nice core to build around.
Curry
Dlo
Klay
Gordon
WCS

It'd be nice if we can flip draymond for Bobby Portis+Knox+1st rder from the Knicks in the deadline.
Curry
Dlo
Klay/Knox
Portis
WCS
I am not a fan of flipping Draymond for Gordon, but it is leaps better than flipping Draymond for Porits+Knox. Plus, the Knicks are a decade away from probably competing. They don't have any use for Draymond. I've been salivating at the idea of a DLo+fillers+1st rounder for Gordon+Ross. I think we can get Gordon to play the 3.

This is a championship team.

Steph/Evans/Rookie
Klay/Poole/Buyout Market Player or TE player
Gordon/Ross/Iguodala(vet.minimum or MLE)
Draymond/Paschall/Spellman
Traditional Center(vet.min or MLE)/Looney/Smailagic
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#25 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 pm

killmongrel wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:In fear of Draymond declining the extension and leaving the warriors with nth...they should be proactive and seek a trade with Orl for Aaron Gordon. Salary is about the same. Gordon is a solid 2 way player. Both are eligible to be traded since they're not FAs. Dlo, Gordon, WCS is a nice core to build around.
Curry
Dlo
Klay
Gordon
WCS

Curry
Dlo
Klay/Knox
Portis
WCS
I am not a fan of flipping Draymond for Gordon, but it is leaps better than flipping Draymond for Porits+Knox. Plus, the Knicks are a decade away from probably competing. They don't have any use for Draymond. I've been salivating at the idea of a DLo+fillers+1st rounder for Gordon+Ross. I think we can get Gordon to play the 3.

Steph/Evans/Rookie

Knicks have a pretty solid roster..dsj/barrett/knox/randle/robinson with bobby portis/gibson/marcus morris/alonzo trier/Frank Ntilikina off the bench. Maybe they would be interested in Draymond if they're in the hunt for the playoffs by the trade deadline.

I wouldn't mind Warriors trading Dlo to the Knicks for dsj/portis 1st rder. I'd like to see Dlo reunite with Randle on the Knicks.

Also wouldn't mind Warriors trading Dlo to Magic/Wolves too. Dlo+Vucevic or Dlo+Towns would form some nice duos.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#26 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Curry
Dlo
Klay
Gordon
WCS

Curry
Dlo
Klay/Knox
Portis
WCS

Steph/Evans/Rookie

Knicks have a pretty solid roster..dsj/barrett/knox/randle/robinson with bobby portis/gibson/marcus morris/alonzo trier/Frank Ntilikina off the bench. Maybe they would be interested in Draymond if they're in the hunt for the playoffs by the trade deadline.

I wouldn't mind Warriors trading Dlo to the Knicks for dsj/portis 1st rder. I'd like to see Dlo reunite with Randle on the Knicks.

Also wouldn't mind Warriors trading Dlo to Magic/Wolves too. Dlo+Vucevic or Dlo+Towns would form some nice duos.
I just don't see the Knicks being in the hunt for anything this year. They have a bunch of Summer Leaguers starting, and a roster full of patchwork players. Their lineup looks like it was made specifically for the trade deadline this season. I just don't think the Warriors are going to trade Draymond for Bobby Portis. It would just be a huge stepdown in IQ.

And if the Wolves want to be a candidate to get DLo, they need to figure out how to trade for a player this season that the Warriors might want next summer, so that they can put together a package that involves said player and somebody like Covington.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#27 » by Onus » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:20 am

I want a player like Damien inglis, James Johnson, taurean prince, Andre Roberson or a player like Nemanja Bjelica, joe Harris.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#28 » by watch1958 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:03 am

Onus wrote:I want a player like Damien inglis, James Johnson, taurean prince, Andre Roberson or a player like Nemanja Bjelica, joe Harris.
Of the current new group, Paschall seems like the best bet to be that type of guy. Mix of skills, played in a winning program for several years.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#29 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:31 am

Torrey Craig
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#30 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:04 am

Mylie10 wrote:Torrey Craig

I don't think the Nuggets will let him walk.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#31 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I think you absolutely have to try Klay at SF.... his steep decline this year was one of the most overlooked aspects of the Warriors fall from Grace... He's simply been asked to do too much these last few years on defense and as he's aged he's become a big liability on that end.

I think you absolutely try the Curry/Russell/Klay pairing.... and either draymond or Looney are great at center but you need a shooter at PF to pair with them...

Obviously robert Covington could fill a huge void if he's healthy this year. But it would probably take Russell to get him... i would probably do that... then attempt to swing for a Shooting Guard with that giant trade exception... there will be plenty of teams looking to make salary dumps...

I just dont think playing Klay at SG coming off a major knee injury will work at all... heck it was already starting to go south two years ago when he was healthy... lot of mileage on his body and task him to do a LOT out there....

Otto Porter is another interesting target that might be avvailable for Russell if the bulls are willing to give him up
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#32 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 pm

BigRedDog wrote:I think you absolutely have to try Klay at SF.... his steep decline this year was one of the most overlooked aspects of the Warriors fall from Grace... He's simply been asked to do too much these last few years on defense and as he's aged he's become a big liability on that end.

I think you absolutely try the Curry/Russell/Klay pairing.... and either draymond or Looney are great at center but you need a shooter at PF to pair with them...

Obviously robert Covington could fill a huge void if he's healthy this year. But it would probably take Russell to get him... i would probably do that... then attempt to swing for a Shooting Guard with that giant trade exception... there will be plenty of teams looking to make salary dumps...

I just dont think playing Klay at SG coming off a major knee injury will work at all... heck it was already starting to go south two years ago when he was healthy... lot of mileage on his body and task him to do a LOT out there....

Otto Porter is another interesting target that might be avvailable for Russell if the bulls are willing to give him up

Klay's steep decline? As someone that's watched 90% of Warriors games the last 10 years or so, Klay played the best basketball of his career last season. His shot selection is better than it's ever been and the only reason his 3pt% took a dip is because he had a bad start but he finished very strong. Defensively he was our best perimeter defender, surpassing Iguodala last season which is why they ended up putting him on Kawhi in the finals. He's in the prime of his career physically and skills-wise. I think you move him to SF because he's got the strength and discipline to make the best SFs in the league work for shots without getting in excessive foul trouble and that's probably a better use of his abilities than making him chase the quick PGs. Going forward I think D'lo will be as good as anyone on our team staying in front of PGs even if he's not able to shut them down.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:20 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:I think you absolutely have to try Klay at SF.... his steep decline this year was one of the most overlooked aspects of the Warriors fall from Grace... He's simply been asked to do too much these last few years on defense and as he's aged he's become a big liability on that end.

Klay's steep decline? As someone that's watched 90% of Warriors games the last 10 years or so, Klay played the best basketball of his career last season. His shot selection is better than it's ever been and the only reason his 3pt% took a dip is because he had a bad start but he finished very strong. Defensively he was our best perimeter defender, surpassing Iguodala last season which is why they ended up putting him on Kawhi in the finals. He's in the prime of his career physically and skills-wise. I think you move him to SF because he's got the strength and discipline to make the best SFs in the league work for shots without getting in excessive foul trouble and that's probably a better use of his abilities than making him chase the quick PGs. Going forward I think D'lo will be as good as anyone on our team staying in front of PGs even if he's not able to shut them down.

Thanks for responding. I fully concur with your post.

Not sure about Russell yet, but of course we will find out. It's intriguing for sure.

Klay at SF helps him, it doesn't hurt him. It may hurt us a bit when facing some 2 guards out there, but let's be honest.....Kerr will base it on matchups.

The entire league is about matchups. So lamenting about the definition of where Klay plays is kind of a waste of time. He's going to match up with the best scorers in the league like he always does.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#34 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:22 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:

Agree to disagree on klay last season. But we both agree SF is the right position. If he makes a smooth transition there like i think he can then ill concede the warriors issues defensively were more scheme related and fish being asked to play out of water than simply personnel
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#35 » by Bayside » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Everyone knows he is the SF next year ..or I thought everyone knew or agreed . Chose your semantics. Decline last year? If you mean injured?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#36 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Klay's steep decline? What the hell? Why didn't the Warriors FO and other teams see this. It would have been cheaper to keep him.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#37 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Klay's steep decline. Could have fooled me.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#38 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:58 pm

killmongrel wrote:

Klay's steep decline? What the hell? Why didn't the Warriors FO and other teams see this. It would have been cheaper to keep him.

In some ways i agree with you they could have used his free agency as a way to reboot... but with curry's age i dont think the Warriors could afford to just let Klay walk because they wouldnt have been able to replace him due to the cap and he's still a pretty good offensive fit for what they are trying to do...Shooting is still at a premium around the league and klay was pretty in line for a "legacy payment" for all the $ he passed up in free agency last go around and the money this team has minted the last 5 years... but yeah he's nowhere near a max player anymore in terms of production...that's clear...

Defensively the warriors had a lot of issues last year and losing Iggy won't help that at all.. Durant kinda morphed from a good defender to a guy who just lazily chased blocked shot stats the last few years so i dont think his absence will matter anywhere near as much as people seem to think...

Overall, i see people calling for a steep decline, even a few people saying the warriors will miss the playoffs. I dont see that. I think draymond will come back hungry instead of fat and out of shape like last year... i think russell fits pretty well overall... and i think the warriors can find some role players to put around their core to give them a shot in the postseason again.

All that said, they will probably struggle a bit out of the gate while they merger new pieces together. That's just life in the NBA.

A lot of the advantage the warriors had ~5 years ago wasnt just TALENT it was also the fact that they were just playing mathematically more sound basketball than most teams. But teams have adapted and started playing smarter analytical basketball. In the meantime the talent disparity isn't nearly as wide anymore.

I still think the Warriors are a 48+ win team. I'd put money on that. Not a ton. But Curry is Curry and Looney is probably the most underrated player in the league right now. And losing klay is just not that big of a deal given his play last year in the regular season at least. In the playoffs he obviously did play a lot better but he's still on the downside of his career, clearly. I hope he recovers from this knee injury.. he cant dribble anyway but i worry about his knee because body balance is so critical for him... ive seen some guys actually come back better from ACL injuries in football because they give their body time to rest and they correct imbalances and stuff... but basketball the knees are just so critical to what you're trying to do out there... and he was already not the same player last year. And he probably suffers most offensively from Durants absence.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#39 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 pm

BigRedDog wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

In some ways i agree with you they could have used his free agency as a way to reboot... but with curry's age i dont think the Warriors could afford to just let Klay walk because they wouldnt have been able to replace him due to the cap and he's still a pretty good offensive fit for what they are trying to do...Shooting is still at a premium around the league and klay was pretty in line for a "legacy payment" for all the $ he passed up in free agency last go around and the money this team has minted the last 5 years... but yeah he's nowhere near a max player anymore in terms of production...that's clear...

Defensively the warriors had a lot of issues last year and losing Iggy won't help that at all.. Durant kinda morphed from a good defender to a guy who just lazily chased blocked shot stats the last few years so i dont think his absence will matter anywhere near as much as people seem to think...

Overall, i see people calling for a steep decline, even a few people saying the warriors will miss the playoffs. I dont see that. I think draymond will come back hungry instead of fat and out of shape like last year... i think russell fits pretty well overall... and i think the warriors can find some role players to put around their core to give them a shot in the postseason again.

All that said, they will probably struggle a bit out of the gate while they merger new pieces together. That's just life in the NBA.

A lot of the advantage the warriors had ~5 years ago wasnt just TALENT it was also the fact that they were just playing mathematically more sound basketball than most teams. But teams have adapted and started playing smarter analytical basketball. In the meantime the talent disparity isn't nearly as wide anymore.

I still think the Warriors are a 48+ win team. I'd put money on that. Not a ton. But Curry is Curry and Looney is probably the most underrated player in the league right now. And losing klay is just not that big of a deal given his play last year in the regular season at least. In the playoffs he obviously did play a lot better but he's still on the downside of his career, clearly. I hope he recovers from this knee injury.. he cant dribble anyway but i worry about his knee because body balance is so critical for him... ive seen some guys actually come back better from ACL injuries in football because they give their body time to rest and they correct imbalances and stuff... but basketball the knees are just so critical to what you're trying to do out there... and he was already not the same player last year. And he probably suffers most offensively from Durants absence.
Guy, just stop.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#40 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22 pm

i forgot about WCS.... great pickup... the Warriors have a 3-headed monster now at center that's better than they've ever had in their title run.

They really just need to find that floor spacing 4... which isnt that hard to do... even a guy like Hairy Beans thrived in that role... I think Alfie Mckenzie is probably the best hope. Guy showed he could splash, he's athletic, and he can fill out a pair of overalls. That's who I'd bank on to step up next season. He seems like a system player that could thrive when he gets comfortably numb out there.

Return to Golden State Warriors