ImageImageImage

Stefanski did one helluva job so far !!!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Re: Stefanski did one helluva job so far !!! 

Post#61 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:08 pm

For a team that's near the bottom in attendance the moves so far have been great if your angeling to get the team moved for sure.

Nothing moves the needle more then drafting a player that by reports has him not contributing for at least two years, passing on big names in trades, and Rose and Snell. I mean I look forward to this team rocketing to below average for at least another few years.

The Seattle Pistons?

For my money the Pistons have the worst owner in the NBA, a directionless front office and apathetic fans that dont really care. I'm glad they went out and got Blake Griffin though. Pairing him with such a stellar cast has been amazing.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,672

Post#62 » by Invictus88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Ben Gordon. Charlie Villanueva. Brandon Jennings. Josh Smith. Reggie Jackson. Blake Griffin

All moves were meant to make the team more competitive in the near term. All were overpays. (Sorry Blake, but 40 mill is a lot.). All failed to move the needle in any significant way (so far) from a results standpoint.

If 15 years of abject futility while making shortsighted moves hasn't cost us our franchise, are you really worried about a few years trying with prospects?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#63 » by Manocad » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:14 am

zeebneeb wrote:For a team that's near the bottom in attendance the moves so far have been great if your angeling to get the team moved for sure.

Nothing moves the needle more then drafting a player that by reports has him not contributing for at least two years, passing on big names in trades, and Rose and Snell. I mean I look forward to this team rocketing to below average for at least another few years.

The Seattle Pistons?

For my money the Pistons have the worst owner in the NBA, a directionless front office and apathetic fans that dont really care. I'm glad they went out and got Blake Griffin though. Pairing him with such a stellar cast has been amazing.

I heard that talks have already started about moving the Pistons to Omaha and calling them the Colonels, since the double entendre on the name scored well in a marketing survey.

Spoiler:
Except that's not how the NBA works.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#64 » by Kilo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 am

zeebneeb wrote:For a team that's near the bottom in attendance the moves so far have been great if your angeling to get the team moved for sure.

The Seattle Pistons?

Palace is torn down - no going back now, in a couple years when all of a sudden the LCA isn't big enough for both Pistons and Red Wings and Gores starts making noise about needing his own arena - Detroit government isn't going to pony up so soon after LCA and all those broken promises still front and center on everybodies mind. So then he'll claim he can't compete without the revenue of his own arena and since he can't fund it himself, but some other city is offering him a sweetheart deal to relocate. Fella is playing the long game - killing the fanbase here, renting in Red Wings home - giving up all that revenue that he got directly from owning the Palace outright - he'll be showing huge losses over the next couple of seasons.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#65 » by rmfc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:44 am

zeebneeb wrote:
The Seattle Pistons?

Actually, I'd support this idea. The organization wouldn't really have to worry about attendance as their biggest issue as we've been seeing in Detroit in the past few years despite being a non-lottery team.

It's almost as if the team needs to win one or two championships in a row to be able to see some sort of decent attendance (in Detroit).
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#66 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 am

rmfc wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
The Seattle Pistons?

Actually, I'd support this idea. The organization wouldn't really have to worry about attendance as their biggest issue as we've been seeing in Detroit in the past few years despite being a non-lottery team.

It's almost as if the team needs to win one or two championships in a row to be able to see some sort of decent attendance (in Detroit).

And people wonder why I think half of this board actually hates the Pistons. When people actually support moving the team out of Michigan I think my point is made very clear.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#67 » by rmfc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:34 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
rmfc wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
The Seattle Pistons?

And people wonder why I think half of this board actually hates the Pistons. When people actually support moving the team out of Michigan I think my point is made very clear.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Pistons are the only NBA team I love and follow.

My point was only about the inability of fans (& not the state of MI itself) to ever to go and watch the Pistons in-person (after the ultra successful early Dumars GM era). It doesn't matter if it's the opening night or a playoff night. The attendance issue is always the same.

However, you are free to choose any reasoning that helps you to your predefined conclusion. It's the common theme these days.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#68 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:04 am

The_Irony wrote:
DCintheD wrote:What has he done other than not overpay for washed up players?

You say that like its a bad thing

The last regime overpaid for BAD players

Those leuer galloway and boban signings are a sign of horrible executive intelligence..one of the worst offseasons in pistons history .

On the flipside you have stefanski doing much more with less.

Boban wasn't a bad signing, wasn't a marginal player in the same way as Leuer and Galloway. He was overpaid to be a backup C, but he could've done the role if SVG didn't have a woody for Moreland (who was up-tempo and hustled without actually being very effective). The Clips gave him minutes, traded him to the Sixers trade as an asset, not just ballast. No, he's never going to be a perimeter stopper, but he surely didn't drop a turd in most games the way Leuer did, or be the inconsistent chucker like Galloway.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#69 » by Sort » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Geesh, calling for the Pistons to be moved out of Detroit? I get that Detroit doesn't have a diehard collective filling up the seats, but I want a professional NBA team to find some success in Detroit.

I'm assuming this thread is just acknowledging that Stefanski did well with the marginal areas he had to help the Pistons. They are a more complete team than last year's squad, one that looks better at handling injuries. That said, as everyone gets here, the Pistons ceiling is what, a sixth seed? In league feeling wide open, Pistons are one team nobody expects any level of real contention from. and they aren't a team tanking either.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#70 » by Billl » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm

If the pistons had a really solid core, all these moves would have been great ways to fill out the rest of the rotation. I didn't think any of the top backup pg's would be interested in us at all. After we signed Rose, I thought we were going to end up scouring the G-league for some frontcourt help. Instead, we snagged Morris and claimed Wood. And Snell isn't a world beater, but he's not going to be nailed to the bench like Leuer. That's 3-4 rotation players added using very little assets.

Of course, the problem is we didn't really have a core to build around. We have glaring holes in our starting lineup still. Again, we're left hoping that guys like Brown and Luke make big leaps.

Overall, I'm quite happy. We added real NBA talent and didn't give up much to do it. We didn't give up any future picks. We didn't sign long term deals. We drafted for upside instead of a lower ceiling "ready to contribute" player. Ed did a very good job of meeting the mandate to compete while positioning us better in the future.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#71 » by vic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

considering that trading Tobias and a #1 draft pick (Myles Bridges/Shai Gilgeous)
was done BEFORE Ed got here.

I'm happy with what Ed has done with what he has.

2 years with Ed, and we've got 2 athletic, defensive young guys Bruce Brown (passer) and Sekou Doumboya (transition/shooter).

Hopefully in 3 more years we'll have 5 athletic, defensive, 2-way players on the floor for the Pistons.

That's all you can ask.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#72 » by flow » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:12 pm

rmfc wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
The Seattle Pistons?

Ok, they just missed the lottery. Got their asses whooped in 4 embarrassing slaughters, instead.

I hope you're not suggesting that they weren't a lottery-level team.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#73 » by DBC10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Kilo wrote:

The Seattle Pistons?

Palace is torn down - no going back now, in a couple years when all of a sudden the LCA isn't big enough for both Pistons and Red Wings and Gores starts making noise about needing his own arena - Detroit government isn't going to pony up so soon after LCA and all those broken promises still front and center on everybodies mind. So then he'll claim he can't compete without the revenue of his own arena and since he can't fund it himself, but some other city is offering him a sweetheart deal to relocate. Fella is playing the long game - killing the fanbase here, renting in Red Wings home - giving up all that revenue that he got directly from owning the Palace outright - he'll be showing huge losses over the next couple of seasons.

If that happens, then let him. No need for my tax money to fund some coked up billionaire's sports lifestyle just because it "entertains" me. I'd rather watch it online anyways and root for an actual team that deserves it should it EVER come to that. And I still got collegiate sports to root for.

Thank God MI is a powerhouse NCAA sports state at least.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#74 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:19 pm

flow wrote:Ok, they just missed the lottery. Got their asses whooped in 4 embarrassing slaughters, instead.

How many games did the world champs win against us?
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#75 » by Canadafan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm

vic wrote:considering that trading Tobias and a #1 draft pick (Myles Bridges/Shai Gilgeous)
was done BEFORE Ed got here.

I'm happy with what Ed has done with what he has.

2 years with Ed, and we've got 2 athletic, defensive young guys Bruce Brown (passer) and Sekou Doumboya (transition/shooter).

Hopefully in 3 more years we'll have 5 athletic, defensive, 2-way players on the floor for the Pistons.

That's all you can ask.

Would be a dream come true.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#76 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
flow wrote:Ok, they just missed the lottery. Got their asses whooped in 4 embarrassing slaughters, instead.

How many games did the world champs win against us?

i would love to play Toronto in the playoffs .Pistons would win 4-0

2018-19 Season
Score
Streak Head-to-Head
89. Mar 17, 2019 Detroit Pistons vs. Toronto Raptors W 110 - 107
Pistons won 3
54 - 35
88. Mar 3, 2019 Detroit Pistons vs. Toronto Raptors W 112 - 107 OT
Pistons won 2
53 - 35
87. Nov 14, 2018 Detroit Pistons @ Toronto Raptors W 106 - 104
Pistons won 1
52 - 35
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#77 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:11 pm

The Seattle Pistons?

of course you would suggest the Pistons move since I don't believe you're from Michigan..could be wrong though. no Detroiter would ever suggest the team moves to Seattle

lastly before anyone whines about how bad the pistons have been. try being a hornets fan by far the worst franchise the last 20 years
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#78 » by tradez401 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

other than signing zaza/calderon/glenn robinson last season and trading #30 pick i'd say ed did pretty good for the front office got rid of stanley and jon leuer, didnt overpay for role players n drafted some nice young talent.
CubicalLake7
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#79 » by CubicalLake7 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:13 pm

I have been non-MI Detroit Pistons fan since I was 14 years old (LA Pistons fan). I root for the Pistons logo on the jersey. If the Pistons moved out of MI I would remain a Pistons fans. I can care less if they are in MI, the Palace or LCA. They can be in Seattle for all I care.

I was a LA Rams fan long before Georgia Frontierre murdered the real owner of the Rams. She proceeded to tank that team forcing a move to St. Louis. I was at the first game in Busch Stadium and watched my Rams win a SB from half a country away. I shed tears of joy when Kroenke moved them home to my back yard.

I am a Pistons fan, not a fan of Det or Michigan. If the Pistons could field a more successful team in a larger market with better fan support I will be rooting regardless. If your affinity to a team has to do the City or venue you are going it wrong in my opinion.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#80 » by Han Solo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Pistons aren’t getting moved. Lol. Downtown Detroit is nicer than it’s been in 50 years.

Return to Detroit Pistons