Image ImageImage Image

Anthony Davis: Chicago’s The Mecca Of Bball, Would Consider Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Anthony Davis: Chicago’s The Mecca Of Bball, Would Consider Bulls 

Post#81 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 am

HomoSapien wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Just a friendly reminder that players haven't traditionally enjoyed playing with LeBron.

But yet he always gets one big player to come join him.

Of course he has. But the Lakers are full of controversy, LeBron -- in addition to often times marginalizing some of his great teammates -- is getting older and more injury plagued, and Anthony Davis is going to be a free-agent next year. The fact that he is openly gushing about Chicago less than a year after it was reported that he had no interest in the Bulls would really feel like a red flag if I'm the Lakers.

To me, it felt like he was planting the seeds.

KC Johnson said in the article that him saying that came off insincere.

I don't see how it means anything beyond him giving the most basic PC answer.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#82 » by dice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:06 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
But yet he always gets one big player to come join him.

Of course he has. But the Lakers are full of controversy, LeBron -- in addition to often times marginalizing some of his great teammates -- is getting older and more injury plagued, and Anthony Davis is going to be a free-agent next year. The fact that he is openly gushing about Chicago less than a year after it was reported that he had no interest in the Bulls would really feel like a red flag if I'm the Lakers.

To me, it felt like he was planting the seeds.

KC Johnson said in the article that him saying that came off insincere.

he also could have said "i just got to LA and i have no plans to ever leave." which would have killed the subject dead. but yeah, almost certainly a PC answer
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,600

Post#83 » by jacoby1us » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:07 am

jc23 wrote:Im not spending my time as a Bulls fan acting like a knick fan. Just going to enjoy who we got and the players we have are very easy to root for which is not always the case.

Best post yet.
We have to live in reality.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#84 » by keloms » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:04 am

HomoSapien wrote:
keloms wrote:Those who are soft and don't have the winning mindset, much like the group the Bulls have.

Lakers mortgaged their entire future to get him because that was where he wanted to be and they didn't want to wait a year. That's not changing in 11 months.

You haven't changed your mind about something over the course of 11 months? I'm talking about AD of course, not the Lakers.

Also Chandler, Rondo (who is cut off from this picture but is sitting next to the fans instead of LeBron), and McGee all have championships.

Rondo and McGee hated it so much that they're back this year....

I get that it's the time of the off season where the only discussion comes from speculation about the future and because someone smiled at the Bulls, it's taken as a serious flirtation given the desperation to land anyone with talent, but, the fantasy narrative of how his time in LA could self destruct is beyond grasp.

This isn't Dwight-LA as he never wanted to be there in the first place and only went because he had to. As apparent by the rest of the career, you've seen where that attitude has gotten him.

Davis lives in LA in the off season (and now will get to do so year round), looks up to LeBron having idolized him during his entire amateur career, and gets to play for a top 2 franchise in the league. He knows what he's getting into and that isn't being thrown away in a year.

The Lakers didn't make the move on a desperation hail mary either. Just like they were led to prepare for the acquisition of LeBron starting in 2017, they all but had it in writing that if you offer this package that's going to otherwise kill the future of the franchise, you'll have Davis re-signing next year because this is the exact situation he wants to be in.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#85 » by TheFinishSniper » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:12 am

jacoby1us wrote:
jc23 wrote:Im not spending my time as a Bulls fan acting like a knick fan. Just going to enjoy who we got and the players we have are very easy to root for which is not always the case.

Best post yet.
We have to live in reality.

No real Bulls fan believe in this. Because Bulls fans are exactly nothing like Knick fans.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#86 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:05 am

jacoby1us wrote:AD ain’t leaving L.A.!
Dead story, please move on to a more realistic target.

Then why did Davis only sign a 2 year deal with the Lakers? Lebron will be 37 when Davis is a free agent again.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,134

Post#87 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 am

RedBulls23 wrote:KC Johnson said in the article that him saying that came off insincere.

KC said it rang hallow because the Bulls were rebuilding and that he and LeBron share the same agent. Those aren't really great reasons, considering both things could change by the end of the year.

I also strongly disagree that he gave the most basic PC answer. The mecca quote was beyond a standard answer. And saying he was open to one day joining the Bulls a month after joining the Lakers doesn't strike me as something that most players would say. The most basic PC quote is saying you're focused on the team you're on.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#88 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 am

keloms wrote:
Rondo and McGee hated it so much that they're back this year....

They're not exactly at the point in their careers where they have tons of suitors. Anthony Davis does.

I get that it's the time of the off season where the only discussion comes from speculation about the future and because someone smiled at the Bulls, it's taken as a serious flirtation given the desperation to land anyone with talent, but, the fantasy narrative of how his time in LA could self destruct is beyond grasp.

This is dismissive for the point of being dismissive. It's ignoring all the crap that's gone on in the Lakers franchise. It's ignoring how star big men have seen their roles diminish playing next to LeBron. It's ignoring the changing landscape of the NBA where star players are anything but loyal to one franchise. And most of all, it's ignoring the most important part -- Anthony Davis specifically mentioning the Bulls when he really had no incentive to do so.

This isn't Dwight-LA as he never wanted to be there in the first place and only went because he had to. As apparent by the rest of the career, you've seen where that attitude has gotten him.

I can tell you first hand that this is categorically incorrect. Dwight Howard wanted nothing more than to be a Laker.

Davis lives in LA in the off season (and now will get to do so year round), looks up to LeBron having idolized him during his entire amateur career, and gets to play for a top 2 franchise in the league. He knows what he's getting into and that isn't being thrown away in a year.

All fair points. No one saying this is a done deal. That said, it's a story to keep an eye on. Even Deadline picked up the story and they almost never cover sports:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/lakers-anthony-davis-again-avoids-long-term-la-commitment-1202650247/
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#89 » by Dez » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 am

NZB2323 wrote:

Then why did Davis only sign a 2 year deal with the Lakers? Lebron will be 37 when Davis is a free agent again.

He didn't sign a 2 year deal with the Lakers, he signed a contract with the Pelicans and that contract was traded to the Lakers with 1 year and a player option for the second year remaining.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#90 » by Payt10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 am

I basically agree with most that think it was nothing more than lip service, but we both know how quickly things change in the NBA from year to year. If the Lakers underachieve this year, or if Lebron suffers a debilitating injury, It's possible that he could look to get out of that situation and go somewhere else.

That being said, I think he'd still have several other teams on his list ahead of the Bulls, even if it came to that point. It's all about relationships. Unless the Bulls could pull off what the Clippers did to get Paul George and add another superstar to entice him, I have a very difficult time seeing Davis giving the Bulls a second look.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#91 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 am

Payt10 wrote:I basically agree with most that think it was nothing more than lip service, but we both know how quickly things change in the NBA from year to year. If the Lakers underachieve this year, or if Lebron suffers a debilitating injury, It's possible that he could look to get out of that situation and go somewhere else.

That being said, I think he'd still have several other teams on his list ahead of the Bulls, even if it came to that point. It's all about relationships. Unless the Bulls could pull off what the Clippers did to get Paul George and add another superstar to entice him, I have a very difficult time seeing Davis giving the Bulls a second look.

The best thing the Bulls have going for them this season is the All-Star game. They really have a chance to use it as an opportunity to sell the city of Chicago then. All eyes will be on us and if it's done well, it'll be a feel good story. I also think Zach winning the dunk contest could help. Obviously the dunk contest is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but him winning it in Chicago will just be great publicity that will bring some excitement to him and to the team.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#92 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 am

HomoSapien wrote:
Payt10 wrote:I basically agree with most that think it was nothing more than lip service, but we both know how quickly things change in the NBA from year to year. If the Lakers underachieve this year, or if Lebron suffers a debilitating injury, It's possible that he could look to get out of that situation and go somewhere else.

The best thing the Bulls have going for them this season is the All-Star game. They really have a chance to use it as an opportunity to sell the city of Chicago then. All eyes will be on us and if it's done well, it'll be a feel good story. I also think Zach winning the dunk contest could help. Obviously the dunk contest that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but him winning it in Chicago will just be great publicity that will bring some excitement to him and to the team.

I don't know about that. Teams visit Chicago at least twice a year, sometimes 4. It's not like they don't know what the city has to offer.

If anything, the hope is that one if not two of the Bulls players actually make it to the game and build relationships with other All-Stars that they may not of had relationships with the past.

Many players either seem to create bonds in the USA team or in All-Star games, so I think that's the best way for the Bulls players to form some relationships, and for the Bulls to continue to chip away at actually being a decent team and we could actually have some luck turning our way in the future.
Why so serious?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#93 » by kingkirk » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 am

NZB2323 wrote:

Davis signed no deal with the Lakers. His existing deal was traded there.

And if this is relevant, Kawhi only signed a deal with the Clippers that keeps him there for two guaranteed years.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#94 » by kingkirk » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 am

HomoSapien wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:KC Johnson said in the article that him saying that came off insincere.

KC said it rang hallow because the Bulls were rebuilding and that he and LeBron share the same agent. Those aren't really great reasons, consider both things could change by the end of the year.

I also strongly disagree that he gave the most basic PC answer. The mecca quote was beyond a standard answer. And saying he was open to one day joining the Bulls a month after joining the Lakers doesn't strike me as something that most players would say. The most basic PC quote is saying you're focused on the team you're on.

He has said these things too.

A lot is being made out of nothing. Davis isn’t a good media performer. He says nothing when trying to say something. Read all his quotes, watch videos of him talking.

This random quote means nothing.

And until further notice, the Bulls are still rebuilding, Rich Paul can get Davis significantly more money in LA, and the Lakers are an appreciably better team.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,318

Post#95 » by TheGOATRises007 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 am

He might come here when Lebron fully declines.

But we need to be actually good. Gotta make the playoffs next season.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#96 » by rtblues » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am

I'm not sure that the Lakers DUO is all that.
Lebron has never been a pick-and-pop player, even when he had K Love.
Neither has a particularly deadly three point shot, and then there's Lebron's defensive decline.
Then, when either one is off the floor, or were to get injured, they're pretty average.

I know the media has them as an upper-tier contender for the title, I do not.
I can see a few teams beating them.

Wondering what a realistic over-under is for # of games James will play this season? And ditto for AD, who has
a history of missing games? And last, what's your over-under for # of games LA will win?
I'm going with LJ/52, AD/57, and LAL/47.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#97 » by drosereturn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:He might come here when Lebron fully declines.

But we need to be actually good. Gotta make the playoffs next season.

Yeah basically this my take. AD is not the guy to provides full lip service and he did grow up idolizing Rose.
Nor sure if he liked Lebron more but he knows he is from Chicago and want to make the city Great just like Wade but he was too washed up.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#98 » by drosereturn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:49 am

Dez wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:The team needs to show out this season

Which is why I wanted westbrook and whoever good left (Coby, Gafford, Lauri, Carter ) can be the core.

Again a declining Westbrook isn't an attractive piece.

Well then why did he join a washed up Lebron whose probably gonna retire in couple of yrs?
First you need to make your self attractive to get suitors.
If you never try your just bringing a defeatist attitude.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#99 » by Dez » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 am

Showtime23 wrote:
Dez wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
Which is why I wanted westbrook and whoever good left (Coby, Gafford, Lauri, Carter ) can be the core.

Again a declining Westbrook isn't an attractive piece.

Well then why did he join a washed up Lebron whose probably gonna retire in couple of yrs?
First you need to make your self attractive to get suitors.
If you never try your just bringing a defeatist attitude.

How is LeBron washed up? You have to be saying these things just to troll right? You can't actually believe any of the nonsense you're posting?
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#100 » by bulliedog8 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 am

Hangtime84 wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Need to be a 45 win team and have Lakers have a drama filled season and maybe we have a chance.

Davis needs to opt in and wait for 2021 where we can really do it.

Hypothetically, it would be a lot better to do it next year.

Trade Tomas, Young, and Felicio for cap. Otto Opt out and re-sign him at 4/100 (gives 3 mil extra cap for the bulls). Then sign AD to a 2+1.

72 mil for 9 guys. Add the 2020 1st rounder (say 3 mil) plus 3 roster charges at 1 mil each. So 78 mil for 13 guys. A salary cap of 116 mil projected for next year and that leaves the bulls with 38 mil in cap. 30% of 116 mil is 35 mil.

So we could sign AD for 2+1P / $110 mil (max contract with 5% yearly increase).

White Arci
Lavine 2020 1st draft
Otto Hutchinson
Lauri
AD Wendell Kornet Gafford

(none of this will happen though)

Return to Chicago Bulls