ImageImageImage

Who Starts next to Kemba and a C, out of Hayward, Brown, Smart and Tatum?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who of the 4 starts?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 am

All 4
3%
Tatum, Hayward, Brown
66%
Tatum, Hayward, Smart
13%
Tatum, Brown, Smart
10%
Hayward, Brown,Smart
No votes
Tatum and Brown
4%
Tatum and Hayward
1%
Tatum and Smart
1%
Brown and Hayward
No votes
Hayward and Smart
2%

Total votes: 107

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Who Starts next to Kemba and a C, out of Hayward, Brown, Smart and Tatum? 

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 am

With all this talk about who will start at C, what about our best 4 players outside of Kemba, Who will start, who will come off the bench? If only 2 are starting I am guessing Brad is going big with Thies at 4 next to a 5. I am talking most nights, I know Brad's starting lineups are not super consistent. Assume Kemba is starting for the purposes of this poll
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Re: Who Starts next to Kemba and a C, out of Hayward, Brown, Smart and Tatum? 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:15 am

Maybe something like the following, to start the season off:

Kemba - Brown - Tatum - R. Will - Kanter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#3 » by Spin Move » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 am

I changed my mind after voting, I think we start with Tatum, Hayward Brown, originaly was thinking Smart would start, but we really need him to be there to backup Kemba and take those PG minutes or there are not enough wing minutes for Tatum, Brown and Hayward.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,393

Post#4 » by Triple7 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:28 am

Parliament10 wrote:Maybe something like the following, to start the season off:

i like this lineup. We can switch R.Will with hayward against smaller opponents.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#5 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am

Triple7 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Maybe something like the following, to start the season off:

i like this lineup. We can switch R.Will with hayward against smaller opponents.

Yeah. That may be the Lineup, depending upon the opponent.
Bring Hayward in on the Smaller Lineups, and either Kanter or R.Will, depending.:

Kemba - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Kanter/(R. Will)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#6 » by [EverGreen] » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 am

I think Smart needs to start. Especially if Kanter starts also (which I think he will).

He can be effective without the ball. Give Brown a green light in the second unit.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#7 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

Brown and Hayward entering contract years, I expect both to have great seasons. One a full 2 years back from nasty injury and Brown. Might piss off Brown if he is on the bench.

So Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Kanter and Smart 6th man with starter minutes.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#8 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:28 pm

I would be surprised if Hayward is not starting.

1.Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kantar.

2. Kemba, Hayward, Tatum, R. Will, Kantar.

3. Kemba, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, Kantar.

Too early to tell. Practices and pre season will determine for Brad what lineups gel the best. I think option one above is the most likely lineup. One nights we have to go bigger, I can see us going with Kantar and R. Williams. Expect Kantar to shoot more from 3s.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#9 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Went Tatum, Brown and Smart....Would prefer having Hayward come off the bench....I think the back court combo of Kemba and Marcus Smart could be something very special....Plug in Robert Williams at center in that group and away we go....Hayward is first off the bench and plays 32 minutes thereabouts....Grant Williams and Kantner also anchor the second unit along with instant offense Carson Edwards and the high flying Vincent Poirer occasionally makes his presence known...in certain situations Semi Ojeleye gets minutes....Theis fills in wherever needed and is used to stretch the floor and shoot threes...They work young Langford in as he becomes capable on defense....It's going to be fun! :)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#10 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:48 pm

I think Brown Hayward Tatum start, but Smart will get just as many minutes or close to it.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#11 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:Went Tatum, Brown and Smart....Would prefer having Hayward come off the bench....I think the back court combo of Kemba and Marcus Smart could be something very special....Plug in Robert Williams at center in that group and away we go....Hayward is first off the bench and plays 32 minutes thereabouts....Grant Williams and Kantner also anchor the second unit along with instant offense Carson Edwards and the high flying Vincent Poirer occasionally makes his presence known...in certain situations Semi Ojeleye gets minutes....Theis fills in wherever needed and is used to stretch the floor and shoot threes...They work young Langford in as he becomes capable on defense....It's going to be fun! :)

I actually like this better but I think Hayward will start. I do feel it is better balance if he comes off the bench though
Sign here
Triple7
RealGM

Post#12 » by Triple7 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:05 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:Went Tatum, Brown and Smart....Would prefer having Hayward come off the bench....I think the back court combo of Kemba and Marcus Smart could be something very special....Plug in Robert Williams at center in that group and away we go....Hayward is first off the bench and plays 32 minutes thereabouts....Grant Williams and Kantner also anchor the second unit along with instant offense Carson Edwards and the high flying Vincent Poirer occasionally makes his presence known...in certain situations Semi Ojeleye gets minutes....Theis fills in wherever needed and is used to stretch the floor and shoot threes...They work young Langford in as he becomes capable on defense....It's going to be fun! :)

That’s a pretty small lineup though. Smart with kemba would be a liability defensively for us. Smart usually defends the other teams main scoring guards, then any player kemba guards would be a mismatch. much better for smart to back up kemba.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#13 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Kanter are going to start the season. Stevens is going to find out quickly that the lineup doesn't work and one of Brown or Hayward will come off the bench.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#14 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Kanter are going to start the season. Stevens is going to find out quickly that the lineup doesn't work and one of Brown or Hayward will come off the bench.

Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Kanter will score a ton. The question is just how badly that frontcourt will be shredded defensively. I agree that Stevens will try his hardest to make it work.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#15 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Barring anything unforseen, Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum are going to go witg Kanter at center, imo.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#16 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Edwards is going to play, he needs smart and timelord out there with him.
Walker/JB/Hayward/Tatum/Kanter
Smart comes in for JB first. Then Timelord and Edwards for Kanter/Walker. Hayward and Tatum will be spelled by a combo of the frenchman, Williams, and Langford and Theis(if they need to stretch the floor)

I want to see more of a traditional big man more often in Brad's system, and more pick and rolls, and more fouls shots.

The one thing we added this year over last years team is the ability to draw fouls. Kanter like double that of Horford. Walker more than Kyrie. All the rookies shot a lot of foul shots in college last year compared to averages.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Triple7 wrote:

That’s a pretty small lineup though. Smart with kemba would be a liability defensively for us. Smart usually defends the other teams main scoring guards, then any player kemba guards would be a mismatch. much better for smart to back up kemba.

Smart will make up for Kemba's lack of size defensively...and the two of them would cause fits for the opponent quickness wise and ball hawking wise.....It's no secret that Smart covered any of Kyrie's defensive weaknesses...He would likewise make it easier for Kemba to score at will.... JMO
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#18 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Smart will make up for Kemba's lack of size defensively...and the two of them would cause fits for the opponent quickness wise and ball hawking wise.....It's no secret that Smart covered any of Kyrie's defensive weaknesses...He would likewise make it easier for Kemba to score at will.... JMO

Really it's between Hayward and Smart for 6th man. I went Hayward because he's bigger. We are small with Tatum at PF. Smart is a bulldog and could probably make up for it. All I know is JB and JT need to start. WE need to know if they are future all stars or not. 30mpg +
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Really it's between Hayward and Smart for 6th man. I went Hayward because he's bigger. We are small with Tatum at PF. Smart is a bulldog and could probably make up for it. All I know is JB and JT need to start. WE need to know if they are future all stars or not. 30mpg +

I guess i see the flip side...and believe in using players in situations that they are familiar with...

I see Hayward being able to make the second unit work, no matter who that ends up being and he is used to coming into games and fitting in to the flow....and I think that Kemba needs to score and play max minutes... Smart is all balls to the wall all the time and needs that break more often...he's not the play maker that Hayward or Kemba are either...So to maintain a balance, I think Hayward will be used much the same way as last season.. But hopefully for longer periods where he can get into the flow of the game better...

The end of game situations should be interesting however... and the players who are out there at the end may be determined by who's hot and who's not...

I'll agree that Brown and Tatum need max minutes too....I suspect they will get them...and things will work themselves out whichever way works the best, I'm fine with that...but to start the year, i hope they all are familiar with their roles...
Triple7
RealGM

Post#20 » by Triple7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:40 am

ZeroTolerance wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:

I guess i see the flip side...and believe in using players in situations that they are familiar with...

I see Hayward being able to make the second unit work, no matter who that ends up being and he is used to coming into games and fitting in to the flow....and I think that Kemba needs to score and play max minutes... Smart is all balls to the wall all the time and needs that break more often...he's not the play maker that Hayward or Kemba are either...So to maintain a balance, I think Hayward will be used much the same way as last season.. But hopefully for longer periods where he can get into the flow of the game better...

The end of game situations should be interesting however... and the players who are out there at the end may be determined by who's hot and who's not...

I'll agree that Brown and Tatum need max minutes too....I suspect they will get them...and things will work themselves out whichever way works the best, I'm fine with that...but to start the year, i hope they all are familiar with their roles...

As good as smart is defensively, he can’t guard two players. And he’s undersized as well as a 2. You could pair them together if matchups dictates it, but having a 6’8 pf in Tatum only adds to that problem. Plus i like brown to develop and hayward to go back to form. Smart has almost reached his ceiling as a player, and would just be a good role player/6th man at best. Of course i could be wrong on that, but i doubt he’ll ever be an all star. Now brown could be one, and hayward could definitely he one again.

Return to Boston Celtics