ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#461 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:I have a hard time wrapping my head around all these salary exceptions and rules, but it looks like we are the only team with remaining cap. Does that mean we are the only team that can offer more than minimum contracts now. Do we have free reign to sign whoever is left out there that is looking for more than the minimum?

I still like Jerian Grant and Dragan Bender as projects on two/three year deals. Shane Larkin is interesting, too.

I think Dallas has $11 mil, we have $7 mil in capspace. Like you said teams that are over the cap (no capspace) may still have exceptions $9 mil MLE or portion of it, some teams may have TPEs they can trade a player into, vet mins, etc.

Shane Larkin is working towards an overseas deal.
Bender has offer from CSK Moscow if he doesn't get an NBA deal.
Jerian Grant is horrible.

To Note: Schlenk has indicated he would more than like start the season with salary cap space and one empty roster spot.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#462 » by kg01 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:48 pm

jayu70 wrote:I think Dallas has $11 mil, we have $7 mil in capspace. Like you said teams that are over the cap (no capspace) may still have exceptions $9 mil MLE or portion of it, some teams may have TPEs they can trade a player into, vet mins, etc.

To Note: Schlenk has indicated he would more than like start the season with salary cap space and one empty roster spot.

Larkin never looked like an NBA player to me. Bender signed with CSKA like yesterday, I'm pretty sure. And just so folks don't think I agree with everything Burd says, I don't think Grant is "horrible". He's a guy who can only be effective in very specific roles none of which require him to dribble, pass, or shoot from very far. Other than that, he's fine. :)
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#463 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:56 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I think Dallas has $11 mil, we have $7 mil in capspace. Like you said teams that are over the cap (no capspace) may still have exceptions $9 mil MLE or portion of it, some teams may have TPEs they can trade a player into, vet mins, etc.

Larkin never looked like an NBA player to me. Bender signed with CSKA like yesterday, I'm pretty sure. And just so folks don't think I agree with everything Burd says, I don't think Grant is "horrible". He's a guy who can only be effective in very specific roles none of which require him to dribble, pass, or shoot from very far. Other than that, he's fine. :)

It’s ok. Bird is ur burner, we get it.

Kg insists he got mo class...

We know... :roll:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#464 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

2019 NBA offseason grades for every team

We looked at every team's offseason moves so far, with some coming out better than others

Atlanta Hawks

Offseason Grade: B

Hawks GM Travis Schlenk has a clear direction for his young squad, and he found the man he wanted by trading up to snag Hunter at No. 4. He'll be a nice defensive piece around Trae Young and John Collins, and the Hawks also added even more shooting with Crabbe and (potentially) Reddish. Turner was a puzzling addition but can add depth as another primary ball-handler behind Young.

Added:

• G Allen Crabbe (trade with Nets)
  • F Evan Turner (trade with Trail Blazers)
  • F Chandler Parsons (trade with Grizzlies)
  • C Damian Jones (trade with Warriors)
  • F Jabari Parker (signed)

Drafted:

• F DeAndre Hunter (No. 4 pick, via Pelicans)
  • F Cam Reddish (No. 10 pick)
  • C Bruno Fernando (No. 34 pick, via 76ers)

Lost:

• F Taurean Prince (trade with Nets)
  • G Kent Bazemore (trade with Blazers)
  • C Dewayne Dedmon (signed with Kings)
  • F Deyonta Davis (waived)
  • F Omari Spellman (trade with Warriors)
  • C Miles Plumlee (trade with Grizzlies)
  • G Jaylen Adams (waived)
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#465 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#466 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Takeaways from the offseason -- Atlanta Hawks

3. It’s Trae Young’s team — for now
Spoiler:
It’s one thing to say the franchise is on Trae Young’s shoulders, but another to look at how that could change in the long run.

Sure, the pieces the Hawks picked up are good fits next to Young as two-way wings. But they’re also good fits with anybody. The undersized guard from Oklahoma will have a healthy environment to develop into “the guy,” but it’s arguable that he doesn’t end up as such in a few years.

Why do I say that? Because his game, while inherently valuable on multiple levels, is not suited for the crunch time, matchup-heavy version of basketball that happens in the last few minutes of a tight game. He’ll likely be the most valuable player, but he may not end up as the closer.

This is more of a philosophical topic than anything else. Does your franchise player have to be the alpha and the omega? How much value do those buckets in the last 5 minutes of a close game compare to the first 43?

Does an omega exist on the current roster? The Hawks are taking several shots to find out. Cam Reddish, their second lottery selection, has the tools to be a great two-way scoring wing. Jabari Parker has scoring traits but needs quite a bit of refinement to be any sort of a valuable contributor.

This could all be proven mute if Young takes another leap. But it’s something to evaluate going forward.

2. Fit > Talent
Spoiler:
It all comes back to Trae. As previously mentioned, every player the Hawks have targeted has a good basketball fit with Young.

John Collins is an excellent finisher who Young loves throwing lobs to. Kevin Huerter can run around screens all day and fire shots off Young’s dimes. De’Andre Hunter, who the Hawks traded up from 8th overall to 4th to acquire, shoots and defends well in a lesser role, a perfect complement to a franchise player.

Bruno Fernando, the 34th overall selection, is another lob threat. The fits of Reddish and Parker have already been outlined, two players who can take the primary load off of Young when he needs a break.

Even in the midst of a full rebuild, the Hawks seem to have a structure for how they want to build. Surrounding Young with two-way role players is probably the correct move. Taking a swing on Reddish’s plummeting stock, while obvious, was the right decision.

The clean fits that everyone has with each other should make development easier, too. A player knowing his role and how it bounces off everyone else can accelerate his development more than it would be next to a similar player.

1. Patience is a virtue
Spoiler:
For as talented and fun as Atlanta will be this season, don’t buy into the hype too early. They won a lot more games than expected in 2018-19 with 29, but the end of the regular season deviates from the norm. Many of the Hawks’ wins came against one of two groups: tanking teams, and playoff teams coasting to the end.

This doesn’t mean those dubs were meaningless, but it does indicate that they’re probably not ready for a leap just yet. No matter how they want to configure the rotation, it will be barren of experience. The vets on the roster are mere placeholders until the youngsters are ready to be thrown in.

Simply put, don’t expect a surprise playoff berth out of this group, barring an unforeseen development or addition. The Hawks are going to suck, for now, and that’s completely fine. In fact, it’s normal and will only help them improve down the line.
Hoops Habit
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#467 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 am

Read on Twitter

How certain are we the Atlanta Hawks are going to be any better this season?

Despite having many promising young players, the Atlanta Hawks didn’t exactly build a lot of excitement with their transactions this summer. What happened?

Behind the promising play of Young and Collins and surprising rookie Kevin Huerter, Atlanta entered the offseason with some momentum and excitement for the future. Did the Hawks capitalize on it by continuing to build around their young core?

Eh.

• Despite the possible improvements internally, could this team actually be worse because of the loss of contributing veterans?
  • What was the point of the Kent Bazemore for Evan Turner trade?
  • How does Jabari Parker fit? Will Alex Len be able to handle a larger role? Who plays backup point guard?
  • In the wake of the Luka Doncic for Young trade, is there any extra pressure riding on the front office after moving up to acquire De’Andre Hunter in the 2019 NBA Draft?
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#468 » by hawks_fan25 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Despite having many promising young players, the Atlanta Hawks didn’t exactly build a lot of excitement with their transactions this summer. What happened?

Behind the promising play of Young and Collins and surprising rookie Kevin Huerter, Atlanta entered the offseason with some momentum and excitement for the future. Did the Hawks capitalize on it by continuing to build around their young core?

Eh.

• Despite the possible improvements internally, could this team actually be worse because of the loss of contributing veterans?
  • How does Jabari Parker fit? Will Alex Len be able to handle a larger role? Who plays backup point guard?
  • In the wake of the Luka Doncic for Young trade, is there any extra pressure riding on the front office after moving up to acquire De’Andre Hunter in the 2019 NBA Draft?

I don't know if we will be any better this year, but it does bother me when people mention the Doncic-Trae trade like it's in a vacuum. I think Trae still has as high of a ceiling as Luka, but that trade was actually Luka for Trae/Cam. If we end up with two stars in that trade then I think it will be very clear that we won it.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#469 » by dms269 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Eh.

Which "contributing vets" did we lose who would make us worse?

Dedmon who missed 18 games?
Bazemore who had one of the worst seasons of his career?
Prince who also regressed?

The idea that we had all of these vets who added a ton of value is very false.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#470 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm

Offseason Report Cards for Every Team

Atlanta Hawks: B

Notable Additions: Allen Crabbe; Bruno Fernando; Cam Reddish; Chandler Parsons; Damian Jones; De'Andre Hunter; Evan Turner; Jabari Parker; Ray Spalding

Notable Exits: Dewayne Dedmon; Deyonta Davis; Jaylen Adams; Justin Anderson; Kent Bazemore; Miles Plumlee; Omari Spellman; Taurean Prince; Vince Carter

Notable Re-signings: None

Falling in and out of love with the Atlanta Hawks' summer is perfectly acceptable. It might even be the standard.

Nothing they did stands out for the wrong reasons. They added talented youth, namely De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, to a promising young core headlined by John Collins, Kevin Huerter and Trae Young.

Losing Kent Bazemore, Dewayne Dedmon and Taurean Prince stings but isn't the end of the world. Atlanta did Bazemore a solid by sending him to the Portland Trail Blazers for Evan Turner, picked up a first-rounder from the Brooklyn Nets for Prince and will have dual-max room next summer after not bankrolling his extension or Dedmon's new deal.

Some of the Hawks' other decisions are harder to reconcile. The Jabari Parker flier is fine, but did they really need to give him a player option? Hunter profiles as a nice frontcourt running mate for Collins in smaller lineups, but did they give up too much to get him? They forked over what amounted to Jaxson Hayes (No. 8), Nickeil Alexander-Walker (No. 17), Marcos Louzada Silva (No. 35), cap space and, probably, two second-round picks via the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Letting Dedmon walk is defensible, but the Hawks didn't actually replace him. The Omari Spellman-for-Damian Jones swap was weird, even after factoring in the 2026 second-round pick they received from the Golden State Warriors.

Maybe Atlanta's center rotation speaks to its plan for Collins, faith in rookie Bruno Fernando and Alex Len or some combination of everything. It doesn't matter. The Hawks' offseason adds up to a series of incremental risks, right down to needing Evan Turner to play backup point guard.
Bleacher Report
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#471 » by macd-gm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Regarding the 'controversial' trade up to get Hunter I'd just quote 'the jerk'

Navin, you have taken in fifteen dollars and given away fifty cents worth of crap! Which gives us a net profit of fourteen dollars and fifty cents.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#472 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:49 pm

Grading The Offseason – Atlanta Hawks

After kicking off a rebuild a mere two years ago, it looks like a new and promising era of Hawks basketball is forming before our eyes. It may be a while before they see the playoffs again, but Atlanta has something to build off of here.

Following the draft, the Hawks offseason has been pretty ho-hum. They haven’t exactly lit the world on fire, but they haven’t made any particularly dumb moves. The Hawks are now entering Year 3 of their rebuild. Though their roster has gone through a fair amount of turnover over the past month or so – outside of the young kids who are still hitting their potential – this roster is about the same when it comes to boasting talent as it was last year.

One distinct difference though is that Parsons, Crabbe, Turner and Len are all expiring this season, which could affect how motivated they are to play at their best this season. It could become a real question if any of the aforementioned players finish the season in Atlanta should the Hawks either stay the same or take another leap forward.

The goal for Atlanta should have been to add talented players who will only add to its youth movement and adding veterans who will only continue the winning culture the Hawks have established.

From the looks of things, they did just that.

OFFSEASON GRADE:
B+
Basketball Insiders
Years80HAWKS
Junior
And1: 42

Post#473 » by Years80HAWKS » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:52 pm

Every year since at leat 10 years ago "experts" criticize us, say that we are going to be last, that we are not going in the right direction... all I can see (and all I have seen when BDH was on board) is exactly the opposite.

I cannot wait for the season to start.

We have Trae and Collins as center pieces that, in adition, love playing together and growing great chemistry. We also selected three excellent and promising rookies. And we got rid of two players that were causing problems when playing, as they tend to absorb the ball and take baaaad decisions (Bazemore, especially, and Prince).

As replacements we singed Crabbe, who is a good player and good shooter, and Turner, who is a good decision maker and will defend SFs, but will play PG in offense. Excellent, intelligent move by Schlenk.

Also, and I would like to stress this, we have Bembry, who is becoming a really solid player who can do a lot of things and can be a second ball handler and decision maker.

By getting all this pieces we did not sign any long-term contract, neither we signed any player we do not want.

Among all the roster pieces, we just have Parsons as the only suspicious piece that can cause problems, is absorbing money and is a bad influence for the rest. But we got rid of Plumlee and other bad contracts.

I am not saying we are going to make the PO, but I believe we are going to be better, fun to watch, and that if we do not make the PO, this is going to be the last year we do not ake the PO in the next 8-10 years.

Seeing the young guys develop is also fun.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#474 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:24 am

Read on Twitter

The Hawks put two players on All-Rookie teams then had two top-10 picks in the following draft. What a way to get a rebuild rolling.

The Hawks wanted De'Andre Hunter, who probably wasn’t falling that far. So, they paid a premium to get him...his defense and complementary offense should fit well between Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and John Collins. At No. 10, the Hawks took Cameron Reddish. That’s fine value there, and he’s another wing who should fit well if he develops.

The Hawks appear fully committed to their vision. They’re still assembling a young core. It’s OK if every piece is not yet placed.

Meandering around the edges was fine and forgettable. Reddish and Hunter were the important pickups. The big bet this summer was on Hunter, and I just found the cost too steep.

Offseason grade: C-
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#475 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:23 pm

David Aldridge wrote:How much better is your team since its season ended? Here’s how I rank them

The conceit is simple: rank how all 30 teams have done since the end of their respective seasons, looking at everything, from how they drafted to what trades they made, to significant free-agent signings and to whether they participated in free agency much at all.

Here’s what these rankings ARE NOT:

• A predicted order of finish for next season.

15. ATLANTA HAWKS

ADDED:
F Evan Turner; F Allen Crabbe; F Jabari Parker; F De’Andre Hunter; C Damion Jones; F Chandler Parsons; G/F Cam Reddish; F/C Bruno Fernando; 2020 first-round pick (acquired from Brooklyn; protected 1-14); 2026 second-round pick (acquired from Golden State).

LOST: F Kent Bazemore; F Taurean Prince; F/C Miles Plumlee; F Omari Spellman; G Jaylen Adams (waived)

THE SKINNY:
GM Travis Schlenk continues to play the long game, rinsing and filling his roster again to get younger and still more diverse to surround Trae Young and John Collins. This year’s haul included Hunter, who I think has major two-way potential for stardom, and Reddish, who has as much talent as anyone in this year’s draft, but whose motor came into question at the wrong time. He’ll have ample chance to bloom amongst the budding flowers in the ATL. Fernando had several first-round grades before the draft and cost next to nothing to get; Turner will replace Bazemore in the rotation and the Hawks got yet another future first, this one from Brooklyn, to add to their still-ample pile of assets. Kenny Atkinson may be long gone to the Nets, but the Hawks have Brooklyn’s team-building DNA all over them.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#476 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:51 pm

The NBA's Most Underrated Offseason Pickups

Evan Turner to the Atlanta Hawks

It's taken Evan Turner a while to find his niche in the NBA.

After getting pigeonholed as a primary scorer in Philadelphia and a short dud of a stint in Indiana, Turner went to Boston in 2014-15, where Brad Stevens seemingly unlocked his true calling as a reserve ball-handler. He later settled into that role in Portland, too, before the Blazers traded him to the Atlanta Hawks this offseason.

Unlike those other resets, this one seems to be starting off on the right foot.

The Hawks seem to realize Turner is best suited to play as a backup point guard, as he's a bad shooter who struggles off the ball. As such, he's currently listed as Atlanta's reserve floor general behind Trae Young.

Turner led a successful bench lineup in Portland that featured Seth Curry and Zach Collins, among others. If he can make that unit hum, imagine him feeding the likes of Kevin Huerter, De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and John Collins.
Bleacher Report

Spoiler:
Kent Bazemore to the Portland Trail Blazers

While Al-Farouq Aminu and Maurice Harkless aren't elite, the Portland Trail Blazers will miss both of them. If nothing else, each player could knock down open shots and defend multiple positions.

Without Aminu and Harkless around, Portland will likely start either Zach Collins (who should be a center) or Anthony Tolliver (a one-trick pony) at power forward.

Kent Bazemore doesn't solve Portland's size issues at forward, but he does cover several of the holes left by Aminu and Harkless.

Bazemore is a competent shooter who can defend multiple positions with his 6'5" frame and 7'0" wingspan, and he should thrive in a low-usage role next to Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum. Plus, Portland only had to give up Evan Turner to get Bazemore, and that is an easy win for them given both Bazemore's perfect fit in the modern NBA and Turner's rather hefty contract.

The Blazers aren't the most talented team in the West, but smart acquisitions like Bazemore could give them one of the most well-constructed rosters in the conference and position them for continued success.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#477 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#478 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Hunter, Cam and Huerter develop well, Hawks are in business. TS didn't invest in wins,. he's developping. Love to watch a very talented young core try to improve. I like what TS has assembled and can't wait to see the deveopment, no matter how many losses this season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#479 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:22 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I like what TS has assembled and can't wait to see the development, no matter how many losses this season.

Man, you've pulled a complete 180 on your assessment of Schlenk's rebuild. Glad to see you're pleased with where the franchise is headed.

I too am really excited about where this is going.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#480 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:I like what TS has assembled and can't wait to see the development, no matter how many losses this season.

Man, you've pulled a complete 180 on your assessment of Schlenk's rebuild. Glad to see you're pleased with where the franchise is headed.

I too am really excited about where this is going.

Yeah, kind of. I don't give too much creadit to TS for the JC draft, cause he'd just arrived and / or JC was a lucky slide at 19 and an automatic pick. So, my first ream appraisal of TS began the following summer. He traded Doncic, who had miraculously slid to our pick for Trae and Cam. I was crazy. Doncic was 1 or 2 for me. Trae 4 or 6. By the next day I had calmed a small bit and saw the attraction of the DAL pick. I also was very unhappy that he didn't grab Mitchell. Spellman was meh.

In FA I loved that he grabbed Len. He was my target. Lin was a terrible lose of a FRP and I wasn't happy. So yeah, I was leery of Ressler and TS and the Doncic and Lin things bugged me. Diddn't like trading back and out of the best draft in our tank window.

What changed my mind from hard sceptic to pro TS? Sticking to the long rebuild. He has made many mistakes / reaches to get HIS guys; especially this year. Thing is, for the moment, he's drafted VERY well. For the Hawks, that is the most important thing our GM can do. Draft, develop and build an organic winner. I love it and it appears to be his plan.

I'd rather he combine his accute drafting to stock-pilling draft assets; which he moved away from this season, but he got his guys.

Trae, JC, Heurt, Hunter, Cam, Nando, Len and sticking to the plan is a very nice start. Another top 10 and NJ pick next draft is awesome to add to this core.

Return to Atlanta Hawks