ImageImageImageImageImage

Ky Bowman - 2-way Contract

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Ky Bowman - 2-way Contract 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Just seen some highlights of him. I'd say he's Kemba Walker-lite (More athletic, a bit flashy like Kemba.). Someone we need to play behind Mr. Curry. Hopefully he can show consistency and impact on the floor. What ya'll think?
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Re: Ky Bowman - 2-way Contract 

Post#2 » by CalGTR » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:02 pm

He seems to be a pretty rugged-type dude, so hopefully he blossoms into a real good defender. And, of course, hopefully he eventually proves that he can run/operate in an NBA offense. Definitely need a Livingston-type guy (reliable but not spectacular on both ends of the court) coming off the bench. Maybe Evans grabs that role, but maybe Bowman beats him to it. Or maybe neither are up to it. Time will tell. The 2-way is a cheap way to get some extended time to evaluate him. Even though he didn't score much in summer league, I thought his physical tools stood out. Maybe his actual game will come around with some extended playing time in Santa Cruz. It's sure seems worth a 2-way to see what happens.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#3 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:23 pm

I liked his college tape, but I didn't like what I saw in summer league so I'm still on the fence. Kind of seems like a more-athletic Quinn Cook.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,697

Post#4 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:31 pm

I expected more out of him in SL but the team must like what they see in him enough to offer him a 2-way contract. I did like the way he got up in the opposing teams PG face when they would bring the ball down court. The Warriors have not had a defensive minded PG in a while.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:06 pm

CalGTR wrote:He seems to be a pretty rugged-type dude, so hopefully he blossoms into a real good defender. And, of course, hopefully he eventually proves that he can run/operate in an NBA offense. Definitely need a Livingston-type guy (reliable but not spectacular on both ends of the court) coming off the bench. Maybe Evans grabs that role, but maybe Bowman beats him to it. Or maybe neither are up to it. Time will tell. The 2-way is a cheap way to get some extended time to evaluate him. Even though he didn't score much in summer league, I thought his physical tools stood out. Maybe his actual game will come around with some extended playing time in Santa Cruz. It's sure seems worth a 2-way to see what happens.

looks more rugged than he actually is

his bread and butter is creating off the dribble on offense, really quick, can finish at the rim, fun a bit of offense.

i'd rather him than Evans tbh
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:07 pm

whatisacenter wrote:I expected more out of him in SL but the team must like what they see in him enough to offer him a 2-way contract. I did like the way he got up in the opposing teams PG face when they would bring the ball down court. The Warriors have not had a defensive minded PG in a while.

he didn't get a fair shake in SL...coaching staff was intent on giving the ball as much as possible to Evans to prep him for the season
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#7 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:25 pm

With the caveat that I've never seen these guys before SL, if the front office is convinced we have to use one of the 2-way spots on a PG, McClain looked more impressive to me than Bowman. Granted, McClain had more opportunities to show his stuff as he averaged nearly twice as many minutes as Bowman. Honestly, shooting 22% from the field as Bowman did just doesn't scream "we have to have this guy" to me. So while I admit McClain's 56% shooting was more impressive, particularly the last game, I am still not convinced we need to use one of these spots on a PG. DLo and/or Curry will be handling PG duties during key moments and we have Evans to do that for garbage-time duty. I would have preferred someone who could play SF such as Washburn or Toscano.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#8 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Samurai wrote:With the caveat that I've never seen these guys before SL, if the front office is convinced we have to use one of the 2-way spots on a PG, McClain looked more impressive to me than Bowman. Granted, McClain had more opportunities to show his stuff as he averaged nearly twice as many minutes as Bowman. Honestly, shooting 22% from the field as Bowman did just doesn't scream "we have to have this guy" to me. So while I admit McClain's 56% shooting was more impressive, particularly the last game, I am still not convinced we need to use one of these spots on a PG. DLo and/or Curry will be handling PG duties during key moments and we have Evans to do that for garbage-time duty. I would have preferred someone who could play SF such as Washburn or Toscano.

The thing is, two-way players aren't really signed with the idea that they're going to help the big club right away or even this year. They're a way for the club to keep control of a player while he develops for the future, as opposed to a regular G-league contract when any NBA team can sign him. Sure, they can be with the main team 45 days, but that includes any day of practice, drills, conditioning, workouts or travel. So it's not like they are active for 45 games.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#9 » by HiRez » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Summer League is almost completely useless. You can’t seriously evaluate a player based on a very small sample size, thrown into what are essentially minimally-organized pick-up games. Yeah, you might see something here or there you don’t like that’s useful, for example if a player is dogging it in a SL game, that’s probably a bad sign. But especially for guards, a poor SL shooting performance doesn’t mean much. For example, Danny Green shot 36% in SL.

I’ve got no problem with giving Bowman a shot. I mean yeah, it’d be great to find the next Andre Iguodala in SL but the chances of that happening are close to zero anyway.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#10 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 pm

HiRez wrote:Summer League is almost completely useless. You can’t seriously evaluate a player based on a very small sample size, thrown into what are essentially minimally-organized pick-up games. Yeah, you might see something here or there you don’t like that’s useful, for example if a player is dogging it in a SL game, that’s probably a bad sign. But especially for guards, a poor SL shooting performance doesn’t mean much. For example, Danny Green shot 36% in SL.

I’ve got no problem with giving Bowman a shot. I mean yeah, it’d be great to find the next Andre Iguodala in SL but the chances of that happening are close to zero anyway.

I don't disagree with you about SL, hence my caveat that I have not seen these guys beyond SL. Obviously the Dubs have studied all these guys far more extensively - in person, by video, and through analytics - than we have and I have faith that the big wigs have sufficient data to make their decisions. I assume that the front office saw more evidence that Bowman was more impressive than McClain outside of SL. My question remains about our need to use one of those spots on a PG. Given our very thin depth at SF, I thought it would make more sense to use these spots to help shore-up an obvious area of need. No, we aren't going to find another Iguodala but given that we won't have a star at that position until Klay returns, we could have used more depth there.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#11 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:46 pm

When was the last time that the Warriors had a starting or back up point guard in the top 1/3rd of NBA point guards for quickness..
Monta Ellis?

A young quick defensive minded guy would be nice. I think I read that Bowman had been playing football and is a bit raw as a basketball player.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Kevin McClain did look better in SL, but I think the team is more looking to how he can develop vs Bowman. Bowman is more athletic, longer arms, bigger hands, more explosive, and his game is more aggressive.

I assume the team is still digging for SF help short term, but long term Bowman's talent seems worth the meager investment of a 2-way.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:When was the last time that the Warriors had a starting or back up point guard in the top 1/3rd of NBA point guards for quickness..
Monta Ellis?

A young quick defensive minded guy would be nice. I think I read that Bowman had been playing football and is a bit raw as a basketball player.

I heard some guest on the radio compare Bowman to Barbosa with the speed with the ball and downhill style of play, and that it was something the Warriors felt they were lacking.

We'll see.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#14 » by watch1958 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:When was the last time that the Warriors had a starting or back up point guard in the top 1/3rd of NBA point guards for quickness..
Monta Ellis?

I heard some guest on the radio compare Bowman to Barbosa with the speed with the ball and downhill style of play, and that it was something the Warriors felt they were lacking.

We'll see.
I agree this is a style they have been missing & have needed. Definitely something Cook didn't have. So I approve of the thought process. Now we have to see whether he is the guy to do it.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#15 » by azwfan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:10 am

This video tells a bit about Bowman's back story which i found pretty interesting.

Article on his story.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/How-Ky-Bowman-went-from-an-Alabama-football-offer-14077931.php

I'm rooting for this young man.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#16 » by jamesnamida » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:00 pm

Saw him in two games this summer league and I didn’t really see any pg skills from him. He looked for his own number too often but maybe he was trying to get attention to make a teams. He’s aggressive for sure.

Return to Golden State Warriors