2019/2020 Roster Prediction Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: 2019/2020 Roster Prediction Thread 

Post#201 » by Slava » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:34 am

LAKESHOW wrote:I see the Clippers as the best defensive team in the NBA. DOC will use the 08 Celtic template. They will sacrifice scoring droughts, all in the name of locking down suffocating D. Look at the trend. Scoring was King with the warriors run. They had shooters everywhere. That cannot be sustained. They lost to a premier raps defense. They lost KD. Etc.. Defense will be the name of the game next year. Denver emphasizes defense. Utah. Clips as well. We will face them in the WCfinals.

A lot of what made the 08 Celtics great on defense was KG who was at the end of his prime and Thibodeu who made shrinking the lane and swarming star players the highest priority. Doc is a good enough coach to engineer an effective defence around Kawhi and PG's strengths but that '08 defense won't work today with the Clippers personnel.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#202 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Slava wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:I see the Clippers as the best defensive team in the NBA. DOC will use the 08 Celtic template. They will sacrifice scoring droughts, all in the name of locking down suffocating D. Look at the trend. Scoring was King with the warriors run. They had shooters everywhere. That cannot be sustained. They lost to a premier raps defense. They lost KD. Etc.. Defense will be the name of the game next year. Denver emphasizes defense. Utah. Clips as well. We will face them in the WCfinals.

A lot of what made the 08 Celtics great on defense was KG who was at the end of his prime and Thibodeu who made shrinking the lane and swarming star players the highest priority. Doc is a good enough coach to engineer an effective defence around Kawhi and PG's strengths but that '08 defense won't work today with the Clippers personnel.

AB-Green-LeBron-AD-McGee would have to be one of the top defensive lineups in the league next season... Swap Cousins in for the bruisers...
It all comes down to how hyped and committed LeBron is on D this season... If he plays like he did last season, we'll have huge gap at a spot where some of the best talent in the league is... So we'll suffer.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,165

Post#203 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 am

Mcgee AD front court I'd prefer that over cousins :) let Cousins earn it
Bring back Defense
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#204 » by stan francisco » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:

It all comes down to how hyped and committed LeBron is on D this season... If he plays like he did last season, we'll have huge gap at a spot where some of the best talent in the league is... So we'll suffer.

This ^ . Couldn’t agree more, been saying the same thing. This single issue will determine our season. Will he or will he not decide to play defense? Assuming healthy roster.

I think he still has it in him. He idled it first half of last season. This is win now time. Full gas on defense (rings) or he might as well retire.

If he plays D like last year, AD will be injured come playoffs time for having to cover.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#205 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 am

Trey Burke really could've provided something we severely lack on this roster. We went so hard doing the polar opposite of last summer with adding shot creators, that we are completely deficient outside of Lebron. Boogie and Davis are the next best creators on our roster which will be interesting. But on the perimeter we got nothing.

Trey Burke is one of three guards that averaged more points per shot on 2 pointers than the league averages on 3 pointer points per shot. The only other two guys to do that are Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving. Not even Kawhi does that with his midrange game.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#206 » by 50CalClips » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 am

PG - Lebron James - Rajon Rondo (7th) - Quinn Cook (10th) - Alex Caruso (12th)
SG - Danny Green - Avery Bradley (8th) - Kent Cald Pope (11th)
SF - Kyle Kuzma - Lebron James/Danny Green/Jared Dudley (9th)
PF - Anthony Davis - DeMarcus Cousins - Lebron James
C - JaVale McGee - DeMarcus Cousins (6th)
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#207 » by ShowtimeFan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:24 am

I wish the Lakers could have added Thibodeu to the Coaching staff....
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#208 » by Ainosterhaspie » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:59 pm

Is the Iggy speculation dead, or does it seem like he could still joijn the team? I can't remember if a buyout looks possible or not.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#209 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:43 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Is the Iggy speculation dead, or does it seem like he could still joijn the team? I can't remember if a buyout looks possible or not.

Griz are hoping to trade him but once that option dries up, they'll probably buy him out.

It sounds like there are a whole lot of things that would need to go right for us to be able to pick him up, and our record is mixed on those deals... So I don't know if he'll be a Laker or not...

I'd love to have him, but I'm not sure we really need him. Green/Kuz is sort of our budget Klay/Iggy rotation in reverse...

If we want Kuz to turn into something legit and reliable, I think we need to find a way to play him at his more natural 3 position... Playing him at the 4, even in a small ball lineup stunts him, IMO... And if we got Iggy, he'd probably have to play more 4 off the bench than 3.

So it may actually be better for us long term if we don't get Iggy.

I'd like to see us bring Caruso/KCP (or daniels or cook, whoever has the highest eFG%) /Kuz/Dudley/Cousins off the bench, and give Kuz and Cousins a green light to do whatever they wanted...
Can't really do that with Iggy.

Unless the plan becomes to start Iggy over Green, which I think would be a mistake.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#210 » by Ainosterhaspie » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:33 pm

Iggy clearly is willing to take reduced role and come off the bench if it's best for the team. I'd hope that with his age he'd be ok with even more reduced time and role and his history suggests he would. It would be nice to have him to hound Kawhi for 10-15 minutes and have an option for a strong defense lineup like Bradley/Green/Iggy/James/Davis. He brings something no one else on the roster does.

Something like Green/Iggy/Kuz/James/Davis would probably be a great lineup. (Is that a small or big lineup? Feel like I should call it small cause Davis isn't supposed to be a center). Defensively they switch everything and are basically positionless. I don't think this stunts Kuz. That lineup is probably real scary in transition and will defend well with the available length. Run that about five minutes into each half for about five minutes,then selectively in the fourth depending on the situation.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#211 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:59 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Iggy clearly is willing to take reduced role and come off the bench if it's best for the team. I'd hope that with his age he'd be ok with even more reduced time and role and his history suggests he would. It would be nice to have him to hound Kawhi for 10-15 minutes and have an option for a strong defense lineup like Bradley/Green/Iggy/James/Davis. He brings something no one else on the roster does.

Something like Green/Iggy/Kuz/James/Davis would probably be a great lineup. (Is that a small or big lineup? Feel like I should call it small cause Davis isn't supposed to be a center). Defensively they switch everything and are basically positionless. I don't think this stunts Kuz. That lineup is probably real scary in transition and will defend well with the available length. Run that about five minutes into each half for about five minutes,then selectively in the fourth depending on the situation.

It's been reported Kuz reached out to Metta/Artest to get some tips about defense. Hopefully him working on his base and core plus getting tutored would help him become a good defender. Unfortunately, Davis has made it clear that he prefers to play PF so he can avoid banging with huge centers and preserve his body long term so I'm guessing this lineup would only be used in the last 3-5 minutes of the game. Bradley if he can return to his old Boston form would help a lot too. Caruso is a decent defender and has good enough size to switch IMO.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#212 » by Ainosterhaspie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:14 pm

It's a good sign Kuz is taking defensive development seriously. If he can be solid on that end, it will be huge for the Lakers.

If they can run true fives off the floor with Davis at the five, then he won't have to bang with them. And LeBron could probably take a few minutes defending fives too.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#213 » by zimpy27 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:57 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:Is the Iggy speculation dead, or does it seem like he could still joijn the team? I can't remember if a buyout looks possible or not.

Griz are hoping to trade him but once that option dries up, they'll probably buy him out.

It sounds like there are a whole lot of things that would need to go right for us to be able to pick him up, and our record is mixed on those deals... So I don't know if he'll be a Laker or not...

I'd love to have him, but I'm not sure we really need him. Green/Kuz is sort of our budget Klay/Iggy rotation in reverse...

If we want Kuz to turn into something legit and reliable, I think we need to find a way to play him at his more natural 3 position... Playing him at the 4, even in a small ball lineup stunts him, IMO... And if we got Iggy, he'd probably have to play more 4 off the bench than 3.

I'd like to see us bring Caruso/KCP (or daniels or cook, whoever has the highest eFG%) /Kuz/Dudley/Cousins off the bench, and give Kuz and Cousins a green light to do whatever they wanted...

Unless the plan becomes to start Iggy over Green, which I think would be a mistake.

With Iggy the 4 main lineups in the playoffs would be something like:

1: KCP-AC-AB, Green, LeBron, AD, Cousins
2: KCP-AC-AB, Iggy, LeBron, Kuzma, AD
3: KCP-AC-AB, KCP-AC-AB, Iggy/Green, Kuzma, Cousins
4: KCP-AC-AB, Green, Iggy, LeBron, AD

*KCP-AC-AB is a hybrid of KCP, Caruso and Bradley, I don't know which 2 will be best.

Iggy would also be the best possible backup for LeBron. He'd also be an important wing defender against the clippers. The defense of the lineup 4 would be very tough.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#214 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:04 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

*KCP-AC-AB is a hybrid of KCP, Caruso and Bradley, I don't know which 2 will be best.

Iggy would also be the best possible backup for LeBron. He'd also be an important wing defender against the clippers. The defense of the lineup 4 would be very tough.

KCP KCP AND KCP, Rondo has been bashed endlessly here and I understand that stats and common sense are pointing to him not being great for this team for long minutes but what exactly are you guys seeing in KCP?
1. Shooting. Lebron goes down at Christmas then Ball and When the Lakers NEEDED HIM MOST, he shoots a spectacular 31% FOR Jan AND FEB.
2 years ago, Before Lebron got here, Lakers lost a bunch of players bec of injuries too in December and he shot a whopping 29%. He is great though as soon as the Lakers get eliminated, improving his shot like 3-5% better. Rajon Rondo actually shoot better than him from the 3pt line overall as he only shot 34.7% for the year.
2. Defense. He is TIED for 17th in DRTG for the team, only Mikhailuk and Machado were WORST in the 22 man recorded roster. DRTG may be misleading?
he ranked 18th in DBPM with a -1.2, still not convinced?
ok, ESPN’s DRPM, He ranked 95th worst among SGs out of 107 recorded players playing that position.
At least Rondo showed me something before esp in the playoffs like when he played for the Pelicans, what has KCP done in the playoffs?
Im ok with other signings at least guys like Daniels and Dudley are addressing a glaring need but other than being tall enough to guard SGs, I don’t see anything that he brings to the table.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#215 » by zimpy27 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:32 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

KCP KCP AND KCP, Rondo has been bashed endlessly here and I understand that stats and common sense are pointing to him not being great for this team for long minutes but what exactly are you guys seeing in KCP?
1. Shooting. Lebron goes down at Christmas then Ball and When the Lakers NEEDED HIM MOST, he shoots a spectacular 31% FOR Jan AND FEB.
2 years ago, Before Lebron got here, Lakers lost a bunch of players bec of injuries too in December and he shot a whopping 29%. He is great though as soon as the Lakers get eliminated, improving his shot like 3-5% better. Rajon Rondo actually shoot better than him from the 3pt line overall as he only shot 34.7% for the year.
2. Defense. He is TIED for 17th in DRTG for the team, only Mikhailuk and Machado were WORST in the 22 man recorded roster. DRTG may be misleading?
he ranked 18th in DBPM with a -1.2, still not convinced?
ok, ESPN’s DRPM, He ranked 95th worst among SGs out of 107 recorded players playing that position.
At least Rondo showed me something before esp in the playoffs like when he played for the Pelicans, what has KCP done in the playoffs?
Im ok with other signings at least guys like Daniels and Dudley are addressing a glaring need but other than being tall enough to guard SGs, I don’t see anything that he brings to the table.

So you're saying AB and Caruso are the 2 guards. I tend to agree actually but just keeping option open for KCP in case he gets back to Detroit days with a more veteran roster. That makes my lineups:

14 mins: Bradley, Green, LeBron, Kuzma, AD
14 mins: Caruso, Iggy, Kuzma, LeBron/AD, Cousins
10 mins: Caruso, Green/Iggy, LeBron, AD, Cousins
10 mins: Bradley, Green, Iggy, LeBron, AD

41 mins: LeBron, AD
29 mins: Kuzma, Green, Iggy
24 mins: Cousins, Caruso, Bradley
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#216 » by ShowtimeFan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:57 pm

Kilroy wrote: AB-Green-LeBron-AD-McGee

I know they will hash things out and make some decisions during training camp, but this seems to be the best starting line-up defensively and offensively.

It also assures the Lakers of have a lot of firepower (Kuz & Cos) and play making (Rondo) coming off the bench!

Next season is gonna be fan-freaking-tastic after 6 years of no playoffs!
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#217 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:43 am

The Grizzlies aren't buying him if they can get an asset for him. The market might be dry right now so maybe they'd want to wait until mid-december/january when some of the guys that signed in the summer are trade eligible. OTOH i do think there is a good chance that he gets bought out before the season starts. Many of the teams that are interested in Iggy can actually trade for him now and i'm not sure what player they're hoping to get.

Also, Iggy is pretty well regarded around the league and the Grizzlies aren't holding him hostage until the deadline just to get a mid 2nd rounder.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#218 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:05 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

The Grizzlies aren't buying him if they can get an asset for him. The market might be dry right now so maybe they'd want to wait until mid-december/january when some of the guys that signed in the summer are trade eligible. OTOH i do think there is a good chance that he gets bought out before the season starts. Many of the teams that are interested in Iggy can actually trade for him now and i'm not sure what player they're hoping to get.

Also, Iggy is pretty well regarded around the league and the Grizzlies aren't holding him hostage until the deadline just to get a mid 2nd rounder.

I’m guessing Memphis would rather trade Iggy for a couple of future draft picks and only very few teams would offer that for an aging player. Maybe just the Bucks and the Sixers both have legit chances of making it with his help.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#219 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:23 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

I’m guessing Memphis would rather trade Iggy for a couple of future draft picks and only very few teams would offer that for an aging player. Maybe just the Bucks and the Sixers both have legit chances of making it with his help.

Well, of course. They're going to chase whatever deal they can get that's better than just buying him out. My point is that i dont think there's a lot of teams that are willing or able to trade for him. You mention Philly and Milwaukee, but what can they realistically offer? I guess Milwaukee can offer either Bledsoe or a combination of Illyasova and one of Hill and BroLO, but i'm not sure that's going to help them. Philly doesn't have anything to offer that they cant offer right now.
andy712
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#220 » by andy712 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:29 pm

PG:Darren Collison
SG:Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF:LeBron James
PF: Kyle Kuzma
C:Anthony Davis

Return to Los Angeles Lakers