ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#161 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 am

Manny Pac-Man was great the other night

I thought he was totally washed up years ago, but he must have put in a great training camp, because he looked young and fast again. Amazing win

Props to Arlovski too. He actually look improved even if he fought a lummox in Rothwell. Great to see these 40 year olds do so well
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#162 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:03 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Manny Pac-Man was great the other night

I thought he was totally washed up years ago, but he must have put in a great training camp, because he looked young and fast again. Amazing win

Props to Arlovski too. He actually look improved even if he fought a lummox in Rothwell. Great to see these 40 year olds do so well

Just when you think that these guys are done, they came back and look like the turned back the hands of time.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#163 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Pacman's footwork is really fun to watch and his chin is pretty nuts after all this time. Thurman was hitting the pull counter but not enough to get by Pac's volume and movement.

Also worth noting that we have a Max Holloway main event this weekend against Frankie Edgar. Even his loss vs Poirier wound up more competitive than many people were admitting in the immediate aftermath and he's still one of the most fun fighters to watch in MMA. Cyborg is also fighting an Invicta beast in Felicia Spencer (she should win imo but who knows with Spencer who is fairly new). The rest of the card is disappointing, which happens after an ESPN card but Geoff Neal vs Niko Price is flames and on the undercard there's a Pantoja vs Figueiredo flyweight bout virtually guaranteed to be all action.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#164 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:19 pm

j4remi wrote:Pacman's footwork is really fun to watch and his chin is pretty nuts after all this time. Thurman was hitting the pull counter but not enough to get by Pac's volume and movement.

Also worth noting that we have a Max Holloway main event this weekend against Frankie Edgar. Even his loss vs Poirier wound up more competitive than many people were admitting in the immediate aftermath and he's still one of the most fun fighters to watch in MMA. Cyborg is also fighting an Invicta beast in Felicia Spencer (she should win imo but who knows with Spencer who is fairly new). The rest of the card is disappointing, which happens after an ESPN card but Geoff Neal vs Niko Price is flames and on the undercard there's a Pantoja vs Figueiredo flyweight bout virtually guaranteed to be all action.

What fight is your avatar from?

Was that guy legit hurt or did he just fake it to sucker the other guy in?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#165 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:What fight is your avatar from?

That's my favorite come from behind ever, Scott Smith vs Pete Sell. They were TUF contestants who lost but got on the finale undecard and they fought like a contract was on the line. The body shot really did fold him and he had one chance to connect and survive. After the fight, he basically keeled over in joyous agony that was just epic.

Just to add to the comeback kid's story. He had multiple come from behind wins in StrikeForce after the Pete Sell fight. One of them came against the ever popular Cung Le. Le beat the brakes off of him for 2 and a half rounds and even dropped him with body kicks. But Smith toughed it out and eventually landed a bomb to get a massive upset. If you can't tell yet, I was a big fan of his career. He wasn't the best but he fought his heart out and willed his way to wins at times.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#166 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:42 pm

j4remi wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:What fight is your avatar from?

That's my favorite come from behind ever, Scott Smith vs Pete Sell. They were TUF contestants who lost but got on the finale undecard and they fought like a contract was on the line. The body shot really did fold him and he had one chance to connect and survive. After the fight, he basically keeled over in joyous agony that was just epic.

Just to add to the comeback kid's story. He had multiple come from behind wins in StrikeForce after the Pete Sell fight. One of them came against the ever popular Cung Le. Le beat the brakes off of him for 2 and a half rounds and even dropped him with body kicks. But Smith toughed it out and eventually landed a bomb to get a massive upset. If you can't tell yet, I was a big fan of his career. He wasn't the best but he fought his heart out and willed his way to wins at times.

Thanks for the background. He made it easy for you to root for him. In some ways, that chance of winning even when way behind is the essence of why combat sports are compelling.

Cheik Kongo had a fight like that too which you probably saw. I thought he was knocked out and he rallied and KO'd the other guy instead.

Cung Le was one of those guys who if they came up today would have been adapted to do MMA, but he was too old by the time he got into it and I think it leads some people to possibly think he wasn't a great fighter. He was. He dominated in Sanshou style
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#167 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Thanks for the background. He made it easy for you to root for him. In some ways, that chance of winning even when way behind is the essence of why combat sports are compelling.

Cheik Kongo had a fight like that too which you probably saw. I thought he was knocked out and he rallied and KO'd the other guy instead.

Cung Le was one of those guys who if they came up today would have been adapted to do MMA, but he was too old by the time he got into it and I think it leads some people to possibly think he wasn't a great fighter. He was. He dominated in Sanshou style

Exactly on point one. The ability to come back and find a way to win is one of the most enjoyable aspects of combat sports. The fact that you have so many ways to adjust (specifically in MMA) makes any high caliber match-up a potential chess match. Jones/Gus; Diaz/McGregor; Lawler/MacDonald 2 all include big momentum swings where the fighters struggle find an adjustment to open things up and then continue a see saw battle. The fact that you're never out of it is absolutely the beauty of the sport.

Kongo vs Pat Barry is the one you're talking about and an absolutely amazing comeback. I'm shocked the ref even gave him the chance to comeback but that decision made for an all time memorable moment in my book.

Cung Le is a fantastic combat sports athlete who absolutely got into MMA too late to see him at his best, but he was still great. Sanshou seems to be rare in MMA especially how Cung Le used it, but it made him both unique and one of the best fighters at timing and crossing distance in the game. He was well behind in the sorts of grappling we're used to but made up for it with really nice clinch trips and throws. It all combined to be one of the more aesthetically pleasing styles for a legit threat in his era, enough that a lot of people favored him over Michael Bisping when they fought (right around the time Bisping started his big title run). I want to start doing something that remembers fighters from the past who weren't quite successful enough to be mentioned often but who have careers worth watching for one reason or another (either written profiles or brief recordings for youtube, spotify, etc). Cung Le and Scott Smith would be right at the top of my list (Krazy Horse, Charlie Brenneman and a few others are up there too).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#168 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Jon Jones got into a fight at a strip club? Yeah, he stopped doing cocaine. LMAO
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#169 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:30 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Jon Jones got into a fight at a strip club? Yeah, he stopped doing cocaine. LMAO

I'm waiting for a better source than TMZ and BJPenn.com to report on it. The story sounds bad though.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#170 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:40 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Jon Jones got into a fight at a strip club? Yeah, he stopped doing cocaine. LMAO

I'm waiting for a better source than TMZ and BJPenn.com to report on it. The story sounds bad though.

Isn't Jon married?
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#171 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Isn't Jon married?

Married, Schmarried
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#172 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Isn't Jon married?

Married, Schmarried

Jon Jones do what Jon Jones do. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#173 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Isn't Jon married?

Married, Schmarried

JJ do VJJ
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#174 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Isn't Jon married?

Married, Schmarried

:lol: Far be it from me to defend him being a good person or not, but I'm just putting reaction to the story on hold until more information emerges. But yeah, he prolly shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#175 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Married, Schmarried

:lol: Far be it from me to defend him being a good person or not, but I'm just putting reaction to the story on hold until more information emerges. But yeah, he prolly shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I'm just trying to imagine what Jon's wife must be like. :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#176 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:59 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Married, Schmarried

.............. BUT ...................

jk, we'll see what happened
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,785

Post#177 » by matchman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 am

That Neal vs Price fight is really interesting. If they do not get into the ground then it may go to full 3 rounds or a knockout at the end.

Now onto Cyborg vs Spencer.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#178 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:04 pm

matchman wrote:That Neal vs Price fight is really interesting. If they do not get into the ground then it may go to full 3 rounds or a knockout at the end.

Now onto Cyborg vs Spencer.

Thank God for those two turning things up. The Jotko fight had no business on there and the Tsarukyan performance was a bit underwhelming. Then Price and Neal went in there and swung for murder until one of them went down (the double knockdown was nuts btw). Great fight! I'd take the Winner of Mike Perry vs Vicente Luque and plug him in against Neal; then have the loser fight Price and call it a day. What an exciting batch of up and comers fam.

Cyborg vs Spencer was good to remind people how good Cyborg is. Spencer was tough as nails and tried everything she could, the elbow game was fun. Cyborg just always had answers. Spencer is just a good sign that the UFC might be able to find talent to populate the division. It's foul that Dana White seems to be pressuring Cyborg and acting like the division is worthless off that loss to Nunes. I do want the rematch though.

Max put on another consummate performance. When his jab has stopping power, he's near unstoppable. Volkanovski can take some relief in that Max ate a lot of leg kicks and Frankie found some right hands, but for the most part Max controlled everything. Rogan and the announcers really tried to make the fight sound closer than it was, Frankie was hitting a lot of air or just barely at the end of his strikes while Max rolled. You can line up the Max FW title fight footage and his all time spot is bonkers. He overwhelms and stops Aldo twice, completely decimates Ortega and then absolutely blanks Frankie Edgar. Volk and Zabit are worth a look and then I'd give him a nice 6 month layoff to train his body to hold extra mass for an extended 155 run. The Poirier fight was way closer than people like to remember and the only thing missing for Max was his punching power. He'll need the strength to stop takedowns from bigger, stronger guys though.

Other than that, only Pantoja vs Figueiredo was notable. Figueiredo is a dark horse with his striking but I'm still not sure that I trust his wrestling defense against Benavidez or Cejudo. Pantoja has great ground work and scrambles for those two but his stand up just hasn't come along the way it really has to. If you could combine them, you'd have the perfect fighter. I think Sergio Pettis vs Figueiredo would be incredible. Pantoja's in a tough spot because they depleted the division so badly, but Ryan Benoit might be interesting.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#179 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:40 pm

j4remi wrote:
Max put on another consummate performance. When his jab has stopping power, he's near unstoppable. Volkanovski can take some relief in that Max ate a lot of leg kicks and Frankie found some right hands, but for the most part Max controlled everything. Rogan and the announcers really tried to make the fight sound closer than it was, Frankie was hitting a lot of air or just barely at the end of his strikes while Max rolled. You can line up the Max FW title fight footage and his all time spot is bonkers. He overwhelms and stops Aldo twice, completely decimates Ortega and then absolutely blanks Frankie Edgar. Volk and Zabit are worth a look and then I'd give him a nice 6 month layoff to train his body to hold extra mass for an extended 155 run. The Poirier fight was way closer than people like to remember and the only thing missing for Max was his punching power. He'll need the strength to stop takedowns from bigger, stronger guys though

The way he destroyed Ortega was one of the most dominant performances I can recall. It was kind of shocking really because I fully expected it to be a classic battle as Ortega was so good coming into the fight. That's when I considered Max the best MMA fighter to date.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#180 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Max put on another consummate performance. When his jab has stopping power, he's near unstoppable. Volkanovski can take some relief in that Max ate a lot of leg kicks and Frankie found some right hands, but for the most part Max controlled everything. Rogan and the announcers really tried to make the fight sound closer than it was, Frankie was hitting a lot of air or just barely at the end of his strikes while Max rolled. You can line up the Max FW title fight footage and his all time spot is bonkers. He overwhelms and stops Aldo twice, completely decimates Ortega and then absolutely blanks Frankie Edgar. Volk and Zabit are worth a look and then I'd give him a nice 6 month layoff to train his body to hold extra mass for an extended 155 run. The Poirier fight was way closer than people like to remember and the only thing missing for Max was his punching power. He'll need the strength to stop takedowns from bigger, stronger guys though

The way he destroyed Ortega was one of the most dominant performances I can recall. It was kind of shocking really because I fully expected it to be a classic battle as Ortega was so good coming into the fight. That's when I considered Max the best MMA fighter to date.

He cleaned Edgar's clock to get that fight against Max. As Brian said at the time, he threw that uppercut against Frankie "with bad intent." :lol:

So, yeah, I was shocked too. Seems that Frankie faired much better against Max. Duh. lol
POSTING POLICIES:

Return to New York Knicks