ImageImageImageImageImage

Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#61 » by azwfan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:14 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I was looking at possible players who are on teams who'd like to get them off their books, but I just don't see many candidates for candidates that the TPE can be used on. Things can change though from now and next summer. But some of the players I was looking at were people like Adams and Batum. It's just too bad their salaries are so much.

Different ways we can look to use the TPE.

1) Provide salary relief for another team in order to gain assets (player / draft pick).
2) Use to assist in a 3-way trade to take on salary - for asset.
3) Add incentive (like a pick) to get a player without needing to match salary.
4) Use in a trade to create a new TPE for more options later. Not appropriate for a "keep D'Lo thread", and not saying i want to do this, but an example of such a trade would be to trade D'Lo on July 6 to Minnesota for Covington. Use the TPE to absorb Covington's salary. D'Lo goes to Minnesota and we create a $28M TPE for another year - a year where we are not hard capped. In such a scenario, we could even take on a little more salary with the Iguodala TPE (5M ish).
Hey, thanks for the info. It's really useful to learn more about these type of things.

But I must say, I personally think the Ws value DLo more than getting more TPE. If they trade DLo, it would really be for a player they like. Covington is nice, but the thought of getting him, while getting rid of DLo, just to get more of the TPE for the following year just seems like a delay in the Warriors championship window. Unless they think they can set themselves up for a super star in the summer of 21, I just don't know if they go this route. To me, I think they either go forward with DLo, or they trade him for a player they can win now. The TPE strategy is just so shaky to me. It's about finding the right player and situation. I wouldn't want to risk it.

I agree for the most part and disagree sort of.

While i agree they will not use D'Lo to try to extend the TPE, if they are in trade talks with the Twolves in a Dlo for Covington trade (or with some other team with a similar salaried player), they COULD do something like this in such a scenario. The goal is to improve the team, the TPE is simply a tool we have to do so. I don't think there is a TPE strategy per se. I guess my only disagreement is the terming "TPE strategy" as if the goal of the DLo / Covington trade is to extend the TPE. I am not advocating a scenario where we use DLo or really anyone on the roster to extend the TPE. Ok, i might be advocating something with GR3 by midseason cause i have my doubts about him. haha
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#62 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:35 pm

The TPE is most likely to be used for an overpaid player ... could still be good for the Warriors though.

It may not be used at all, but it, the draft, and the TPMLE are the only ways to improve the team so I hope they find a way to use them.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#63 » by Ell Curry » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:28 am

Gotta be D-Lo traded for a 3 and a bench guy, basically a new Iguodala and Livington.

You can find a center to split time with Looney every year in free agency, Paschall could prove a nice backup for Draymond and Curry and Klay with 20 minutes of Jordan Poole backing them up sounds great if Poole can learn to fight through a screen (should be his single biggest issue based on Michigan tenure) and just keep getting more consistently focused mentally and as a shooter.

D-Lo has shown he can help carry an offense. Trading him to Orlando for Covington, with Dieng's expiring and a 1st rounder you can package with one of your own to a 3rd team for a better player and you have 5 very good players to go cover 190 of the 200 minutes at the 1-4 spots with Looney and random ringchasing center at the 5.
Where's the D?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#64 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:02 am

How do people feel about Oubre and or Bridges?

And thoughts on Tyler Johnson as a 6th man. One year left, then expiring.
Khoee wrote ā€œ
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ā€
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#65 » by Coxy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:45 am

Mylie10 wrote:How do people feel about Oubre and or Bridges?

Oubre could be good. Heā€™s so dreamy too.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#66 » by watch1958 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 pm

One of the sadder things about losing Iguadola is that if they could have found a way to keep him, he would have been great as the starting SF. Not even more minutes, just playing with the starters most of the time.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#67 » by watch1958 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Memphis seems to have lots of small forwards. I wonder when they will have seen enough to start culling amongst them.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Mylie10 wrote:How do people feel about Oubre and or Bridges?

I like Oubre, like Bridges more. Tyler Johnson would be good as a 7th man for the defense.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:21 pm

watch1958 wrote:One of the sadder things about losing Iguadola is that if they could have found a way to keep him, he would have been great as the starting SF. Not even more minutes, just playing with the starters most of the time.

Iguodala is right near the end. I love him but he's not going to be able to play even 15 minutes a night for a full season and still contribute in the playoffs at the level he played just 2 years ago.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:25 pm

watch1958 wrote:Memphis seems to have lots of small forwards. I wonder when they will have seen enough to start culling amongst them.

Crowder and Hill may be available but they are overpaid for their performanc, Josh Jackson is more interesting but may be a bust. That Iguodala guy is interesting, but Kyle Anderson would be best.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#71 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 am

Hopefully Igoudola gets traded to a team that due to playoff positioning releases him.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#72 » by Samurai » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:24 am

Ell Curry wrote:Gotta be D-Lo traded for a 3 and a bench guy, basically a new Iguodala and Livington.

You can find a center to split time with Looney every year in free agency, Paschall could prove a nice backup for Draymond and Curry and Klay with 20 minutes of Jordan Poole backing them up sounds great if Poole can learn to fight through a screen (should be his single biggest issue based on Michigan tenure) and just keep getting more consistently focused mentally and as a shooter.

D-Lo has shown he can help carry an offense. Trading him to Orlando for Covington, with Dieng's expiring and a 1st rounder you can package with one of your own to a 3rd team for a better player and you have 5 very good players to go cover 190 of the 200 minutes at the 1-4 spots with Looney and random ringchasing center at the 5.

This doesn't make sense. The thread is about how we would build around a core assuming we keep both DLo and Draymond. And the way we would do this in a world where we keep both DLo and Dray is to trade DLo? So basically you are saying that there is no conceivable way to build a team around this core?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm

The plan is simple. Make sure the team finishes in the bottom 19 records to keep the first round pick AND make the playoffs. Hope 2 teams don't move up from the last 10 picks in the 1st and cost the Warriors their 1st round pick. Buy 2nd round picks. Build, develop, use the one exception to add the best vet you can, fill the roster with ring chasers.

We can't know what that will look like in advance because we have no idea who is interested.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#74 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:03 pm

No buying 2nd rd picks for the Warriors. They've used up the $5.6M that's allowed to included in trades for the year.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:No buying 2nd rd picks for the Warriors. They've used up the $5.6M that's allowed to included in trades for the year.

I guess the draft is in the current league year so that makes sense, I didn't realize they'd used the full amount already.

At any rate they are going to look to add young players to develop as much as possible since that is their best bet at finding significant help in the long run.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#76 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:No buying 2nd rd picks for the Warriors. They've used up the $5.6M that's allowed to included in trades for the year.

I guess the draft is in the current league year so that makes sense, I didn't realize they'd used the full amount already.

At any rate they are going to look to add young players to develop as much as possible since that is their best bet at finding significant help in the long run.

Yeah, $3.6M to Minnesota to dump Napier and Graham (that covered their combined salaries) and $2M to Memphis in the Iguodala deal.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#77 » by Ell Curry » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Samurai wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:Gotta be D-Lo traded for a 3 and a bench guy, basically a new Iguodala and Livington.

This doesn't make sense. The thread is about how we would build around a core assuming we keep both DLo and Draymond. And the way we would do this in a world where we keep both DLo and Dray is to trade DLo? So basically you are saying that there is no conceivable way to build a team around this core?

Nah, you can obviously build a core about Curry/D-Lo/Klay/Draymond/Looney as a starting 5 and probably keep getting a good center to split time with Looney, hope Poole can become a reliable scorer off the bench and maybe get lucky with Evans or Paschall rounding out the rotation and maybe trade a pick or draft the wing you'll still need for the playoffs and guarding teams like the Clippers.

It might even work. If Dlo-Klay-Draymond can stabilize the 10 or so Curry-free minutes in key playoff games that would probably be enough to keep you as perennial contenders if everyone stays healthy

D-Lo's transition from on-ball to off-ball during this season will suggest a direction. Either he'll shrink in value like he did early on in the year when Levert was running things, or he'll give you another player who can shoot off of screens and doesn't need to pound the dribble to be efficient on decent usage, and then you can start looking for a 3 and D wing on the cheap rather than trading him for that player and the bench scorer you would presumably want in return.
Where's the D?
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#78 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Nah, you can obviously build a core about Curry/D-Lo/Klay/Draymond/Looney as a starting 5 and probably keep getting a good center to split time with Looney, hope Poole can become a reliable scorer off the bench and maybe get lucky with Evans or Paschall rounding out the rotation and maybe trade a pick or draft the wing you'll still need for the playoffs and guarding teams like the Clippers.

It might even work. If Dlo-Klay-Draymond can stabilize the 10 or so Curry-free minutes in key playoff games that would probably be enough to keep you as perennial contenders if everyone stays healthy

D-Lo's transition from on-ball to off-ball during this season will suggest a direction. Either he'll shrink in value like he did early on in the year when Levert was running things, or he'll give you another player who can shoot off of screens and doesn't need to pound the dribble to be efficient on decent usage, and then you can start looking for a 3 and D wing on the cheap rather than trading him for that player and the bench scorer you would presumably want in return.
What the Warriors are able to do with that TPE next summer is going to be vital because it is another slot where they can get a significant player or salary. Livingston's salary had to be punted, but they're going to have to use Andre's old one to bolster the team. If not, they're reduced to the 5 main players in Steph, Klay, DLO, Green, and Looney and what they can get with the MLE or vet. minimums.

If they can get one solid bench player using the TPE, even if it means attaching a first round pick to it, then they should be good. But it'll also depend on their draft picks becoming contributors as well. We already know that MLE doesn't get us much. Even a player like Garrett Temple for instance was able to get a multi year deal at around 5m a year. So we know what we're going to be working with.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Russell can dominate the ball at times, he just can't do it to the detriment of the offense. On offense it works best when everyone can handle, everyone can pass, everyone can shoot, and EVERYONE MOVES. As long as he buys in to the amount of work it takes to make this offense great he'll be great in it.

What I question more about this upcoming season is how they are going to get the bench to gel and find leadership there. Walton was the best coach at doing that and he's been gone for a while now. They need someone to take over that role. I bet Kerr would love that to be coach Iguodala but he's busy for a while longer.

Also, we need to keep in mind that this team this year is not trying to win every game. They want to lose enough games to be in the bottom 20 in the league, so the pressure to be "perfect" is off, and they can spend the time and effort needed to build the team around the stars.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#80 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:11 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Russell can dominate the ball at times, he just can't do it to the detriment of the offense. On offense it works best when everyone can handle, everyone can pass, everyone can shoot, and EVERYONE MOVES. As long as he buys in to the amount of work it takes to make this offense great he'll be great in it.

What I question more about this upcoming season is how they are going to get the bench to gel and find leadership there. Walton was the best coach at doing that and he's been gone for a while now. They need someone to take over that role. I bet Kerr would love that to be coach Iguodala but he's busy for a while longer.

Also, we need to keep in mind that this team this year is not trying to win every game. They want to lose enough games to be in the bottom 20 in the league, so the pressure to be "perfect" is off, and they can spend the time and effort needed to build the team around the stars.

That may be the way some fans feel, that they should control their number of wins, but I doubt that's how the team feels. Players are playing for jobs and careers, coaches are going for wins because that's what coaches do, and management wants to put on a good show the first year in the new shop. They'll go all out for the playoffs and all out once they're there. Besides, after the first few, draft picks are pie-in-the-sky dreams.

Return to Golden State Warriors