Which team in the Pacific Division had the best offseason?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Which team in the Pacific Division had the best offseason? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

1. Clippers
2. Kings
3. Lakers
4. Suns
5. Warriors
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Which team in the Pacific Division had the best offseason? 

Post#2 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Lol, not a tough call

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
rr2300
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#3 » by rr2300 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:17 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:Lol, not a tough call

Unless you are a Laker fan then of course your team won everything and anything
QWERTYUIOP1248
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#4 » by QWERTYUIOP1248 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 pm

rr2300 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:Lol, not a tough call

Unless you are a Laker fan then of course your team won everything and anything

actually, I'm a lakers fan and I think the clippers destroyed us this season... :banghead:
pass_it_around
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#5 » by pass_it_around » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:31 am

I'm a Laker fan. But of course, the clippers had the best offseason. They pulled the PG trade to land the Kawhi signing. Nobody had an inkling that this was going on. Clippers weren't even the favorites to land Kawhi. I would have ventured to guess that the Raptors had way better odds of re-signing Kawhi. I would have thought that Kawhi was the Raptors' to lose after winning the chip.

If anything, I would guess that Jerry West was the main architect of this signing.
br1162
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by br1162 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Not a huge fan of either team (I’m a Sixer fan), but I am amused at how people really believe the Clippers are so much better than the Lakers. Clippers crush at Owner, Front Office and Coach, but not at the players.

Consider this, the Lakers have three players who each have been considered the absolute best at their respective positions within the past 3 seasons or so. Until mid-2019 playoffs, the Clippers had none (Kawhi anointed only after KD got hurt).
Also, Lebron and Rondo at times have been considered amongst the highest of basketball IQ’s out there. No one on the Clippers is close, sorry.

Let’s assume Paul George has a speedy and full recovery from surgery. I love Kawhi, but are you really taking Paul – Kawhi – and any other Clipper over Lebron-AD-Cousins?? I cannot see how the Clipper big 3 rates higher by any objective measure.

There is still a lot of latent Lebron hatred out there that clouds judgement in my opinion.
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#7 » by ShowtimeFan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:22 am

We will NOT know who had the best off-season until the end of NEXT season...

Anything else is just pure speculation..
AwkwardBoogaloo
Sophomore
And1: 391

Post#8 » by AwkwardBoogaloo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:59 pm

br1162 wrote:Not a huge fan of either team (I’m a Sixer fan), but I am amused at how people really believe the Clippers are so much better than the Lakers. Clippers crush at Owner, Front Office and Coach, but not at the players.

Consider this, the Lakers have three players who each have been considered the absolute best at their respective positions within the past 3 seasons or so. Until mid-2019 playoffs, the Clippers had none (Kawhi anointed only after KD got hurt).
Also, Lebron and Rondo at times have been considered amongst the highest of basketball IQ’s out there. No one on the Clippers is close, sorry.

Let’s assume Paul George has a speedy and full recovery from surgery. I love Kawhi, but are you really taking Paul – Kawhi – and any other Clipper over Lebron-AD-Cousins?? I cannot see how the Clipper big 3 rates higher by any objective measure.

There is still a lot of latent Lebron hatred out there that clouds judgement in my opinion.

The Clippers do have a better roster though. If this was 3-4 years ago then sure I'd say it's the Lakers, but the Clippers will likely be the stronger team in LA this season. Lebron is going to be a year older, still playing at a phenomenal level, but still a year older and a step slower. I get that Cousins was coming off a major injury last season, but he is definitely nowhere close to being a top center in the league anymore unless he makes a major comeback. The Lakers are mainly counting on the addition of Anthony Davis to bump them up into playoff contention. Davis and Cousins also both have had no success in the postseason so I don't understand why they get so much hype for a couple of guys that have accomplished nothing but small regular season accolades in their career. To call Lebron/AD/Cousins a "Big 3" is a huge exaggeration, especially when you point out PG needs to recover from surgery but fail to point out how poorly Cousins bounced back from his surgery.

The Clippers on the other hand were an 8th seeded team in the conference with no all stars on the roster last season. Instead of building a new team from scratch like what the Lakers did this offseason, the Clippers have simply built on their success from last season. They've added 2 superstar talents while keeping the majority of their core intact. Kawhi is a 2 time finals MVP, and PG was an MVP and DPOY candidate last season. They are both currently considered to be the best 2 way players in the league. The have also both led their teams to deep playoff runs in the past, something AD and Cousins have failed to do. I'd rather take the guys who have shown they can perform in the playoffs then the guys who put up meaningless numbers in the regular season.

Which team would you rather have? The team that was already successful and added 2 superstars? Or the team that finished 12th and then blew up their young core to add a superstar?
Orlock78
Junior
And1: 10

Post#9 » by Orlock78 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Not a huge fan of either team (I’m a Pacers fan), but I am amused at how people really believe the Lakers are so much better than the Clippers. Lakers suck at Owner, Front Office and team building, but not at the players.

Consider this, the Clippers have two players who have been considered amongst the absolute best at their respective positions within the past 4 seasons or so. Until just before the 2019 playoffs, the Lakers had one (Even though he essentially destroyed his own teams morale and spent a significant portion of the season hurt).
Also, George and Leonard at times have been considered amongst the highest of basketball IQ’s out there. No one on the Lakers is close, sorry.

Let’s assume Lebron James somehow meshes better with his new team without alienating them. I love Davis, but are you really taking Lebron – Davis – and Boogie Cousins (3 guys who have been credited with destroying team morale) over Leonard-George-and an overachieving team of role players (something the Lakers certainly lack) that pushed the warriors to game 6?? I cannot see how the Lakers big 3 rates higher by any objective measure.

There is still a lot of latent Lebron worship out there that clouds judgement in my opinion.

:D See.... I can play this game too.
TimoefyLa
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#10 » by TimoefyLa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:11 am

Amazingly, it will be the Phoenix Suns that show the largest win/loss improvement for the season. Adding Rubio - an actual starter level PG. Signing coach Williams to a 5 year deal - which means stability. Resigning the most fashionable man in the NBA - Kelly Oubre - signalling a more aggressive game style than TJ Buckets brought - which should match well with Ayton & Booker.
Swapping out Bender for Frank the Tank made little sense as both struggled to stay on court, still the move was a wash, albeit Bender younger
Bringing in lippy Saric was an underrated move at the 4 - hopefully keeping Frank off the floor with Oubre filling the balance of mins at the 4 in a smaller faster lineup. Saric also adds much needed beef to what is an unbeefy team. The Suns have little chance of matching up against the Lakers bigs for example
Suns still are exposed at the wing position with only Oubre & Bridges. Carrying 6 PG (5 of which probably arent up to it continues the Suns commitment to crappy rosters)
Still - Suns to be big improves. Will move from the very bad tier to the marginally bad category
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:48 pm

TimoefyLa wrote:Amazingly, it will be the Phoenix Suns that show the largest win/loss improvement for the season. Adding Rubio - an actual starter level PG. Signing coach Williams to a 5 year deal - which means stability. Resigning the most fashionable man in the NBA - Kelly Oubre - signalling a more aggressive game style than TJ Buckets brought - which should match well with Ayton & Booker.
Swapping out Bender for Frank the Tank made little sense as both struggled to stay on court, still the move was a wash, albeit Bender younger
Bringing in lippy Saric was an underrated move at the 4 - hopefully keeping Frank off the floor with Oubre filling the balance of mins at the 4 in a smaller faster lineup. Saric also adds much needed beef to what is an unbeefy team. The Suns have little chance of matching up against the Lakers bigs for example
Suns still are exposed at the wing position with only Oubre & Bridges. Carrying 6 PG (5 of which probably arent up to it continues the Suns commitment to crappy rosters)
Still - Suns to be big improves. Will move from the very bad tier to the marginally bad category

Rubio is not a starting level PG.

Last week ESPN polled coaches, scouts, and executives around the league and PHX signing Rubio was rated the worst offseason move in the entire league. We're talking about a player that shot 40% FG and 31% 3PT... in a league where shooting is increasingly important. Having a PG who can't shot the ball drastically impacts the entire offense, because the defense can collapse and limit the floor spacing.

PHX traded a 25 year old TJ Warren who averaged 18 PPG on 48% FG and 43% 3PT last year, and is clearly entering his prime. They also traded away the #32 pick and a 2020 1st round pick.

They traded away a former top 5 pick only 2 years into his career... and gave up 2 draft picks to do so.

PHX had a pretty terrible offseason.

Return to Polls Discussion