Image ImageImage Image

Lauri in Finland.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Lauri in Finland. 

Post#1 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/lauri-markkanen-visits-neste-sustainable-getaway-house-finland.
Moderators can lock and delete this thread if this doesn't belong here.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Re: Lauri in Finland. 

Post#2 » by samwana » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:17 am

Very interesting. I love his efforts for sustainable choices. It's so important these days and not usual for athletes to be involved with these kind of markets. That vacation house looks awesome to me!

Thanks for posting.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#3 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:18 pm

From his QA he said he wears 24 after Kobe. Random fun fact
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#4 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:22 pm

There's really not anything commendable about selling yourself out to an Oil Refining and Marketing company.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#5 » by khufure » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:40 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:There's really not anything commendable about selling yourself out to an Oil Refining and Marketing company.

I am not sure, compared to other oil companies Neste seems to take climate change quite seriously. e.g check out this article. they are doing some interesting things with bio diesel.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 pm

samwana wrote:Very interesting. I love his efforts for sustainable choices. It's so important these days and not usual for athletes to be involved with these kind of markets. That vacation house looks awesome to me!

Thanks for posting.

Lauri is probably only Finnish pro athlete who takes climate change seriously.
He also wants to show example to other peoples which is great but still there are peoples who have said Lauri does all of this just for money because he has sponsor and marketing contract with Neste.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 pm

PaKii94 wrote:From his QA he said he wears 24 after Kobe. Random fun fact

Really?
If i'm not mistaken Lauri decided wear 24 after asking for permission of Brian Scalabrine to use his old number.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#8 » by Axolotl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:

Really?
If i'm not mistaken Lauri decided wear 24 after asking for permission of Brian Scalabrine to use his old number.

I think he decided first, then asked Scalabrine - because Scalabrine was the previous holder of the #24 Bulls jersey.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#9 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:

Really?

I think he decided first, then asked Scalabrine - because Scalabrine was the previous holder of the #24 Bulls jersey.

samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#10 » by samwana » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:There's really not anything commendable about selling yourself out to an Oil Refining and Marketing company.
You are right, the getaway seems to be just marketing not much else. Bio diesel..

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
sami71
Junior
And1: 253

Post#11 » by sami71 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:06 pm

samwana wrote:
You are right, the getaway seems to be just marketing not much else. Bio diesel..

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app

I agree with the sentiment that selling out to any oil company is not a thing to be too proud of from the point of view of conservation of nature or sustainability etc.

However as a minor detail, it is not just marketing. Their renewable diesel which is called Biodiesel in Finland is made of renewable materials instead of oil which is a good thing in itself, and they claim to be able to reduce emissions 50-90%. At a glance it seems to have some merit, as the claim is based on several dozen published studies.

It is made mostly of organic waste such as fat and plastics etc. Organic waste in Finland is bio jäte (spelled together like words are in Finnish: because one of my countrymen would be here to correct me so biojäte in proper Finnish) and hence the name bio diesel. They seem to call it My Renewable Diesel outside of Finland.

It is just one of the many things different companies are trying to do to make a buck out of climate change. I am not particularily optimistic about the renewable diesel, because the price of the raw materials would rise if it became more popular and it is already more expensive. As a business it seems to be very good, but it is not a global solution to climate change due to scalability issues. There are also materials other than waste used and for example the use of the land used to grow palm oil has raised some ethical questions.

Their own page with links to further : https://www.neste.com/corporate-info/sustainability/cleaner-solutions/renewable-solutions-transport
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,249

Post#12 » by Mk0 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:33 pm

You mispelled Brian Scalabrine
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#13 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:59 pm

Mk0 wrote:

You mispelled Brian Scalabrine

You missed spelled Michael Jordan
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#14 » by JimmyJammer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am

By the way, it has a way more quiet Summer this year for Lauri. Last Summer, everything was popping up on social media, including his workouts and body transformation.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Jiipee84 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:By the way, it has a way more quiet Summer this year for Lauri. Last Summer, everything was popping up on social media, including his workouts and body transformation.

If Lauri really wants keep low profile on that what he post his instagram what's wrong with that ?
Even Lauri has the full right to privacy and if he wants to keep his life out of the public eye let him do it.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#16 » by madvillian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:By the way, it has a way more quiet Summer this year for Lauri. Last Summer, everything was popping up on social media, including his workouts and body transformation.

Good. I've been of the mind for awhile that between his national team commitments, his young child and wife, and his level of celebrity in Finland (I'd imagine he's recognized constantly) he needs some time to just relax and lay low and get his mind and body right for the 82 game grind.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#17 » by ZOMG » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:59 pm

madvillian wrote:

Good. I've been of the mind for awhile that between his national team commitments, his young child and wife, and his level of celebrity in Finland (I'd imagine he's recognized constantly) he needs some time to just relax and lay low and get his mind and body right for the 82 game grind.

He doesn't need to relax for 7 months. He just turned 22 and his game is full of serious holes he can't fix during the season.

For Lauri's sake, I really hope he's been hard at work improving himself.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#18 » by madvillian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:14 pm

ZOMG wrote:
madvillian wrote:

He doesn't need to relax for 7 months. He just turned 22 and his game is full of serious holes he can't fix during the season.

For Lauri's sake, I really hope he's been hard at work improving himself.

You're oddly protective of him and yet demanding, are you a Fin yourself? I'm hardly suggesting he sits on his ass for 7 months. What I am suggesting is that staying low on social media and not playing needless national team games (while also looking after a small child) is going to benefit him this season.

He's had serious problems with fatigue (or injuries related to fatigue and over use like back spasms) his first two years he needs to figure out a way to put those behind him otherwise he's going to hit the wall again this year in February.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by Jiipee84 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:26 pm

madvillian wrote:

Lauri won't play any games in Finland's national team before 2021 Eurobasket tournament starts.
FIBA announced last week qualification round games to 2021 Eurobasket tournament starts next February.
Only Bulls player who's playing national team this season is Tomas Satoransky in FIBA world cup tournament.
TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#20 » by TallDude » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Lauri won't play any games in Finland's national team before 2021 Eurobasket tournament starts.
FIBA announced last week qualification round games to 2021 Eurobasket tournament starts next February.
Only Bulls player who's playing national team this season is Tomas Satoransky in FIBA world cup tournament.

True. Why that is not a problem for Bulls fans? I would love to see Lauri and rest of the Team Finland at worlds. It was so close. Well good for Bulls.

Return to Chicago Bulls