ImageImageImage

Mavericks Summer of 2019

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1801 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:05 am

BlueSan wrote:We made another idiotic move by waiving Kostas. Sure he is far from looking good, but it is not like he is hurting us sitting on a two way contract.

A team can have only 2 players on two-way contracts. Reaves, Roby, Kostas... one of them had to go.

Teffer10 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.
He's a nice energy bench caliber player but his role should be very limited imo.

Powell's salary is barely more than the MLE. So he's being paid like a sixth man, and in that role he's pretty good. For all his flaws, Powell is still an elite roll man that is a nightmare for opposing teams' bench units.

I still believe Powell will come off the bench this season, like he has for most of his career. I expect the Mavs to put Maxi in the starting lineup so Luka & Porzingis will have all the spacing they'll need.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Post#1802 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Yet Rick still seems to be enamored with Powell

Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.
He's a nice energy bench caliber player but his role should be very limited imo.
I've never seen anyone his size, with that much energy and athleticism, with a great attitude, yield so very little in terms of stats.

lmfao, right? I like Powell, but I feel like the Mavs overvalue him for sure. I really want Steven Adams.

It's 10% Powell is a decent guy to have on a team, 90% ego for Cuban and Nelson. They got humiliated and taken to the woodshed on the Rondo trade, but they make Powell out to be the winning piece of that trade. yeah Rondo didnt work out, but look at this gem we were able to pry away from them. That's what Powell is to them, ice on the bruise of an inflated ego.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1803 » by BlueSan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm

bran muffin wrote:
BlueSan wrote:We made another idiotic move by waiving Kostas. Sure he is far from looking good, but it is not like he is hurting us sitting on a two way contract.

A team can have only 2 players on two-way contracts. Reaves, Roby, Kostas... one of them had to go.

Teffer10 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.

Powell's salary is barely more than the MLE. So he's being paid like a sixth man, and in that role he's pretty good. For all his flaws, Powell is still an elite roll man that is a nightmare for opposing teams' bench units.

I still believe Powell will come off the bench this season, like he has for most of his career. I expect the Mavs to put Maxi in the starting lineup so Luka & Porzingis will have all the spacing they'll need.

Yes understanding, but after what we have seen from Roby in summer league quite frankly Kostas should have been the pick and Roby waived....
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#1804 » by Lowtech801 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:03 pm

BlueSan wrote:
bran muffin wrote:

Yes understanding, but after what we have seen from Roby in summer league quite frankly Kostas should have been the pick and Roby waived....
Why? Roby was the better player in every way. Rpg, bpg, apg, ppg, spg, fg%. I understand Roby played more minutes but assists steal and shooting% would still be far better even if Kostas were given more minutes.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1805 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 am

daoneandonly wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.
I've never seen anyone his size, with that much energy and athleticism, with a great attitude, yield so very little in terms of stats.

lmfao, right? I like Powell, but I feel like the Mavs overvalue him for sure. I really want Steven Adams.

It's 10% Powell is a decent guy to have on a team, 90% ego for Cuban and Nelson. They got humiliated and taken to the woodshed on the Rondo trade, but they make Powell out to be the winning piece of that trade. yeah Rondo didnt work out, but look at this gem we were able to pry away from them. That's what Powell is to them, ice on the bruise of an inflated ego.

THE DWIGHT POWELL TRADE!!!
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#1806 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:16 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:
bran muffin wrote:A team can have only 2 players on two-way contracts. Reaves, Roby, Kostas... one of them had to go.

Why? Roby was the better player in every way. Rpg, bpg, apg, ppg, spg, fg%. I understand Roby played more minutes but assists steal and shooting% would still be far better even if Kostas were given more minutes.

Agreed. Roby's ceiling is higher than Kostas'
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,100

Post#1807 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:27 pm

arkuo wrote:
And why do you keep shooting the idea down as if its a route Washington won't consider? You're speculating that they wouldn't find a John Wall salary dump attractive. You don't know that. It's a trade idea, and unless you work with Leonisis and have inside information then the trade idea is just as valid as any out there. And just by that alone, my guess is just as good as yours. Fair game.

This is wrong on so many levels.
Why do you take it personally when your weak argument opposed by other people?
If all trade ideas etc has the same value here then no one should discuss them and people should treat them like they have all the same possibility.

Unless Wizards front office run by some incompetent people, they would not force Wall into Beal trade.
There is no motivation to ship Wall urgently if they take the rebuilding route.
Mavericks don't have the assets to acquire Beal. P.George trade increased the market a lot.

All in all, I dont think Mavs should target win now for this year. There are a lot of win-now teams in West.
CP3 would be a win-now move. He'll add +5 to 10 win to regular-season record.
Similarly, D.Green would be great with KP-Doncic but he'd be good only for his first 2 years of the contract. If KP-Doncic duo look great, Mavs make playoffs and lost in 6 or sth this year then I'd be supporting a win-now move.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1808 » by arkuo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 am

Burke signs a one year minimum deal with the Sixers.

Might be the very same deal we decide to hand to a player 10 years older with one healthy achilles.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#1809 » by tribulations » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:16 am

daoneandonly wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Yeah, I don't understand the fascination with Powell, at least not in the role it appears he will be in this season.

You're actually so right. Although I think it's probably more like 50/50.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#1810 » by tribulations » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:19 am

arkuo wrote:Would you guys be willing to pay Draymond the max? Legit question.

At this rate and with the warriors being hard capped, there's really no way to pay Draymond now. And chances are he bolts. If it cant be done via S&T (Powell + Curry + Lee + DFS), then would you be willing to get him in for that price? Maybe for 3 years?

Although to be honest I can see the fit with KP at C. Draymond can anchor the paint and play pseudo C while KP roams the perimeter and sets picks. Draymond and KP both play defense. The concerns with Green are his price and number of years.
I can not stand Draymond Green.

..but I don't hate this.

Definitely a guy you hate but would love to have on your team. Like the fit too.

Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#1811 » by Lowtech801 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:53 pm

tribulations wrote:
arkuo wrote:Would you guys be willing to pay Draymond the max? Legit question.

At this rate and with the warriors being hard capped, there's really no way to pay Draymond now. And chances are he bolts. If it cant be done via S&T (Powell + Curry + Lee + DFS), then would you be willing to get him in for that price? Maybe for 3 years?

Although to be honest I can see the fit with KP at C. Draymond can anchor the paint and play pseudo C while KP roams the perimeter and sets picks. Draymond and KP both play defense. The concerns with Green are his price and number of years.
I can not stand Draymond Green.

..but I don't hate this.

Definitely a guy you hate but would love to have on your team. Like the fit too.

On a team like ours with no true point guard (in the traditional sense) a guy like Draymond makes too much sense. I'd love having someone in the frontcourt that can defend and distribute like Draymond. If we had the cap space (we likely won't), I'd absolutely offer him the max provided he's not out of shape again to start next season and his shooting recovers to at least where it was prior to last season.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#1812 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:15 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I don't think they were humiliated and taken to the woodshed though tbh. Nobody from that trade is still with Boston, and they didn't win a championship with them, nor did any of them become all-stars.

If they took the L on that trade, then it was a slight L. Definitely something that could be overcome.

Really, even though Powell is still on the team, it's all a wash. It was an insignificant trade.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#1813 » by bobsquad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pm

That trade was a humiliation.

1. We justified it because our perimeter defense didn't stand a chance against the other Western Conference teams. But FO ignored that Rondo's defense had already fallen off a cliff. (I know it's been years since that trade, but I saw where he was rated the worst defender in the league since 2013. There were signs.)
2. Rondo made NO SENSE offensively even at the time when paired with our best offensive player, Monta, and that dragged us down.
3. No, we couldn't have predicted his meltdown in the playoffs, but he was a known personality and adding that midseason was risky.
4. We gave up basically 2 protected firsts, since Wright was flipped by Boston for one as well, and Crowder, though he had fallen out of the rotation, had some value.
5. Since that trade was the first of the season, we paid a premium. Dragic, IT, and Knight didn't command such a haul relative to their values.

It was a poorly thought out kneejerk move.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#1814 » by dakomish23 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Any chance DAL uses the TPE or Lee’s expiring to take on a 2 year deal to add some assets to the treasure chest? Particularly the 2021 & 2023 drafts, to nullify the Stepien restriction?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#1815 » by bran muffin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:15 pm

bobsquad wrote:That trade was a humiliation.

No, it wasn't. And frankly, I'm tired to seeing people misrepresent that trade as the Mavs getting "humiliated" and "taken to the woodshed". That narrative is complete BS. Let's look at the actual facts of the trade with 20/20 hindsight:

The Mavs got:

• Rondo on an expring contract
    • Dwight Powell on a rookie contract

The Celtics got:

• Jae Crowder and Brandan Wright both on expiring contracts
    • The 16th pick of the 2016 draft

The Mavs & Celtics swapped expiring contracts of free agents neither team wanted to re-sign. The Mavs had no intention of re-signing Jae and Brandan. Remember, the Mavs had just invested a max contract into Chandler Parsons that year, which is why Jae was playing only 10 mpg that season. There was ZERO chance the Mavs would pay Jae in free agency that summer. They also dodged a bullet when Brandan Wright got overpaid by the Grizzlies in free agency that summer. I mean if the Mavs really wanted to, they could've just signed Brandan Wright themselves even after the trade. But they had their eye on DeAndre Jordan that summer.

So ultimately: the trade boils down to the Mavs giving up the 16th pick of the 2016 draft for Dwight Powell on a rookie contract. Dwight Powell is better than the 16th best player of the 2016 draft, so the Mavs don't regret giving up that pick. The Celtics also got a nice player in Jae, but honestly they could've just signed him off free agency. The Mavs weren't going to pay Jae to play 10 mpg behind Chandler Parsons. They didn't re-sign Aminu for the same same reason.

Nobody got "humiliated" or "taken into the woodshed" except in the minds of some self-loathing Mavs fans. So please stop perpetuating that myth already.

4. We gave up basically 2 protected firsts, since Wright was flipped by Boston for one as well, and Crowder, though he had fallen out of the rotation, had some value.

The Celtics flipped Brandan Wright to Phoenix for what eventually became two second round picks. One of the picks never played in the NBA. The other picks is Semi Ojeleye, who racked up 30 DNPs while averaging only 10 mpg last season.

The only pick the Mavs gave up was ONE protected first round pick that did not convey until 2016. The only other draft concession they made was a swap of second round picks. That proved to be worthless, since they wound up just swapping the 45th pick for the 46th pick.

And by the way --- the player the Celtics drafted with the Mavs' 2016 first round pick never even played a single game in the NBA.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#1816 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:52 am

Wasn't Crowder on a rookie contract too though?

The Mavs may have kept him, but regardless, he wasn't going to be a starter in Dallas. Stevens really helped bring him along I guess, but he's nothing special tbh, which is why he's on the 5th team of his soon-to-be 9 year career.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#1817 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:02 am

I'm not saying it was a franchise-altering trade, you have a point that thankfully it was all expiring deals and a near-future pick. And I don't know if the outcome of that trade actually has bearing on the team's view of Dwight Powell. But I'm saying we gave up positive trade value (Wright, Crowder, 1st) for negative court value (Rondo), and even at the time the team should have known better.

As far as I'm concerned, we've done fine to well with every single trade we've made post-championship... except that one.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#1818 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:22 am

Am I the only one concerned about our front court situation?

KP/Maxi/Powell/Boban is it and 2 of those will need to have minutes limited.
I think we need to either sign Mejri or find someone left in FA to at least provide some insurance.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1819 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 am

bran muffin wrote:
bobsquad wrote:That trade was a humiliation.

No, it wasn't. And frankly, I'm tired to seeing people misrepresent that trade as the Mavs getting "humiliated" and "taken to the woodshed". That narrative is complete BS. Let's look at the actual facts of the trade with 20/20 hindsight:

The Mavs got:

• Rondo on an expring contract
    • Dwight Powell on a rookie contract

The Celtics got:

• Jae Crowder and Brandan Wright both on expiring contracts
    • The 16th pick of the 2016 draft

The Mavs & Celtics swapped expiring contracts of free agents neither team wanted to re-sign. The Mavs had no intention of re-signing Jae and Brandan. Remember, the Mavs had just invested a max contract into Chandler Parsons that year, which is why Jae was playing only 10 mpg that season. There was ZERO chance the Mavs would pay Jae in free agency that summer. They also dodged a bullet when Brandan Wright got overpaid by the Grizzlies in free agency that summer. I mean if the Mavs really wanted to, they could've just signed Brandan Wright themselves even after the trade. But they had their eye on DeAndre Jordan that summer.

So ultimately: the trade boils down to the Mavs giving up the 16th pick of the 2016 draft for Dwight Powell on a rookie contract. Dwight Powell is better than the 16th best player of the 2016 draft, so the Mavs don't regret giving up that pick. The Celtics also got a nice player in Jae, but honestly they could've just signed him off free agency. The Mavs weren't going to pay Jae to play 10 mpg behind Chandler Parsons. They didn't re-sign Aminu for the same same reason.

Nobody got "humiliated" or "taken into the woodshed" except in the minds of some self-loathing Mavs fans. So please stop perpetuating that myth already.

The Celtics flipped Brandan Wright to Phoenix for what eventually became two second round picks. One of the picks never played in the NBA. The other picks is Semi Ojeleye, who racked up 30 DNPs while averaging only 10 mpg last season.

The only pick the Mavs gave up was ONE protected first round pick that did not convey until 2016. The only other draft concession they made was a swap of second round picks. That proved to be worthless, since they wound up just swapping the 45th pick for the 46th pick.

And by the way --- the player the Celtics drafted with the Mavs' 2016 first round pick never even played a single game in the NBA.

Why do you misrepresent facts to make your argument better? They drafted guerschon yabusele, sure he's a no name, but he's played plenty in the nba. And who's to say thats who mavs would have drafted? Guess who was drafted after this guy in the same draft? Caris Lavert, Malik beasley, and some guy named Pascal Siakim, all of which are better than Powell at 11-12 mil a year.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1820 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Am I the only one concerned about our front court situation?

KP/Maxi/Powell/Boban is it and 2 of those will need to have minutes limited.
I think we need to either sign Mejri or find someone left in FA to at least provide some insurance.

Well any of those guys can play the 5, i think in smaller lineups DFS and even Jackson can play PF. I mean it would be nice to potentially have another guy, but that's why you dont sign Boban in the first place or give Powell that much money, that money and roster spot could have been sued more efficiently.

Return to Dallas Mavericks