ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#201 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:40 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:based on SL, rob is about as close to starting as he is to be cast as the 14th Doctor. especially if poirier really is as good as people are saying, rob is battling theis for 3rd string minutes and atm he's behind. i'll be ecstatic if timelord is a 15 mpg contributor by the end of the season.

if poirier can defend and rebound and throw down an occasional p-n-r jam, he might very well start, and have kanter come off the bench to provide scoring on the 2nd unit. then go offense/defense down the stretch.

I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL

this is the poirier thread so i'm just jumping aboard the poirier hype train :) tbh, i have no idea at all about poirier beyond those highlights of him dunking on 6-6 euro guys... the nba is a different beast.

but imo the bar is pretty low to pass rob on the depth chart. if poirier can rebound and defend at an nba level at all, with his size, he's already above williams, because williams can't defend at an nba level yet.
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/celtics-fans-should-expect-robert-williams-in-a-limited-role-next-year/

If that really is so, the C's will be making a couple of mistakes by repeating last year's error of trying to start their five best players despite consideration of offensive and defensive balance (and available shots). That is also in part because Rob will work better once he's up to it by being paired with the more skilled starters than scrambling around in the second unit with rookies and the like. He doesn't have to be a fully developed all-around player to complement Kemba, Jayson, Gordon and Jaylen--just play his limited role really well.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#202 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Homerclease wrote:Question is whether or not he can handle the speed of the NBA. That was Zizics issue the first time he stepped on the court on this side of the pond. Looked great in Europe but moved in slow motion here.

Yeah. Poirier looks a tad more athletic vertically but laterally is where these guys are made or broken in the NBA
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#203 » by CelticsLV » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Homerclease wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:based on SL, rob is about as close to starting as he is to be cast as the 14th Doctor. especially if poirier really is as good as people are saying, rob is battling theis for 3rd string minutes and atm he's behind. i'll be ecstatic if timelord is a 15 mpg contributor by the end of the season.

if poirier can defend and rebound and throw down an occasional p-n-r jam, he might very well start, and have kanter come off the bench to provide scoring on the 2nd unit. then go offense/defense down the stretch.

I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL

Except for one being a proven, productive starter on one of the top european teams while the other....? Had some summer league highlights?
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#204 » by Roddy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:00 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Roddy wrote:Nah he is 7'0. He always give this height in french interview.

I believe in Europe the convention is to list their real height, instead of to play the ridiculous NBA game of tacking on an inch or two for their shoes.

Exactly. I have seen 4 or 5 interviews in which he said that he is 7'0 (2,13cm).
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,389

Post#205 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:15 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Except for one being a proven, productive starter on one of the top european teams while the other....? Had some summer league highlights?

One had a year to get familiar with the system in Boston and with the coaching staff, the other is a complete unknown.

What Poirier did in Europe means about as much as what Williams did in summer league. Absolutely nothing.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#206 » by CelticsLV » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL

One had a year to get familiar with the system in Boston and with the coaching staff, the other is a complete unknown.

What Poirier did in Europe means about as much as what Williams did in summer league. Absolutely nothing.

So according to you a proven Euroleague starter = Summer league? Got you. :lol:

I would agree if Poirier was 23 year old back up center in Europe.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#207 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

The only one with any actual NBA experience is Williams.

Edit: Guys like Wanamaker and Larkin were starters in Europe as well and put up good numbers to boot. They were 15th men in the NBA. They are scrubs. Why is Poirier expected to be any different?
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,664

Post#208 » by Green89 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL

Wait, so Euro teams have no system or coaching staffs? :lol:

Also, if you haven't been able to see the experience that Euro players bring with them to the NBA, I don't know what to tell you. Look no further than Theis, who in his first year did not look anything like a rookie, with much better skills and discipline. I guess you missed that.

We know you love RWIII, but get over that bias and please realize he's still not ready for a ton of NBA minutes yet, and try not to cry when Poirier gets more floor time than he does this season.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#209 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Green89 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

Also, if you haven't been able to see the experience that Euro players bring with them to the NBA, I don't know what to tell you. Look no further than Theis, who in his first year did not look anything like a rookie, with much better skills and discipline. I guess you missed that.

We know you love RWIII, but get over that bias and please realize he's still not ready for a ton of NBA minutes yet, and try not to cry when Poirier gets more floor time than he does this season.

Look no further than Wanamaker, he’s trash.

If Poirier can play in the NBA, then good.

Your last comments are totally unnecessary.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#210 » by Half-Full » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:One had a year to get familiar with the system in Boston and with the coaching staff, the other is a complete unknown.

Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

Edit: Guys like Wanamaker and Larkin were starters in Europe as well and put up good numbers to boot. They were 15th men in the NBA. They are scrubs. Why is Poirier expected to be any different?

As others have noted, Poirier is a bit of an unknown at this point. You mention Wanamaker and Larkin as former Euroleague players who are "scrubs" as if that is all one can expect for a player coming from the Euroleague. There are some very good players playing in the NBA who came from the Euroleage. Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic, Porzingis, Bogdanovic, and more. While the odds are that Poirier is not going to rise to the level of those players, it is not a certainty. We are hopeful that Poirier proves to be a solid contributor, and based on his play in the Euroleague, that is not a farfetched expectation. The jury is still out, but I'm not ready to write him off as a "scrub."
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#211 » by Half-Full » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:One had a year to get familiar with the system in Boston and with the coaching staff, the other is a complete unknown.

Look no further than Wanamaker, he’s trash.

If Poirier can play in the NBA, then good.

Your last comments are totally unnecessary.

Wanamaker is not trash. He is a solid veteran point guard who knows how to run an offense. Whenever he got playing time he held his own. I expect he will get more playing time this year.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#212 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Half-Full wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

As others have noted, Poirier is a bit of an unknown at this point. You mention Wanamaker and Larkin as former Euroleague players who are "scrubs" as if that is all one can expect for a player coming from the Euroleague. There are some very good players playing in the NBA who came from the Euroleage. Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic, Porzingis, Bogdanovic, and more. While the odds are that Poirier is not going to rise to the level of those players, it is not a certainty. We are hopeful that Poirier proves to be a solid contributor, and based on his play in the Euroleague, that is not a farfetched expectation. The jury is still out, but I'm not ready to write him off as a "scrub."

Nobody is saying that no good players have ever come from Europe. There is a staunch difference between the names you mention and role players in their mid 20’s finally coming to the NBA. If anyone is expecting Poirier to rise to the level of a Jokic, Porzingis or even Nurkic then they are only setting themselves up for disappointment. There are plenty of guys who have come from Europe who have put up good stats overseas and then become merely end of the bench guys in the NBA. Guys like Larkin and Wanamaker. We know nothing of Poirier, for all those saying RWIII isn’t ready and can’t do this and can’t do that seem convinced that a guy who’s never played a minute in the NBA can do the things required to stick in the rotation. Once again, I don’t see how he can possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#213 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 pm

OK, the points have all been made. I don't think we will have any new information to chew on regarding Poirier vs. Timelord until training camp.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#214 » by Smog » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Although their games are different, the parallel I think of is Timofey Mozgov. He played on a Euroleague team for a while, came over, and had immediate success among other things because sheer size translates. Poirer looks like a better athlete but a less experienced player - still, guys that size who work hard and like to bang usually make it.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#215 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Smog wrote:Although their games are different, the parallel I think of is Timofey Mozgov. He played on a Euroleague team for a while, came over, and had immediate success among other things because sheer size translates. Poirer looks like a better athlete but a less experienced player - still, guys that size who work hard and like to bang usually make it.

Mozgov had some range in shooting, which I haven't seen from Poirier. But he also started fewer than 90 games over his first four years in the NBA. Still, that could be an upside model for Poirier to shoot for.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#216 » by Homerclease » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:OK, the points have all been made. I don't think we will have any new information to chew on regarding Poirier vs. Timelord until training camp.

Was Elrod nominated to replace SWC as a mod? Or is he back to his old tricks of trying to control what people post on a message board again?
eris
Veteran
And1: 136

Post#217 » by eris » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:17 pm

claycarver wrote:
Roddy wrote:Nah he is 7'0. He always give this height in french interview.

yes, that's my point. Ainge gave a specific number for reach and height. We know he was wrong on height, so that casts a bit of doubt on his exact reach number. Certainly, his reach isn't greater than what Danny said.

Regardless, he's tall and long.

My understanding is that in Europe they list their height in bare feet, while in the NBA they list height in shoes. If so, then, Poirier saying he's 7' is not really different from Danny saying he's 7'1". Either way, he's tall. :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#218 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

Nobody is saying that no good players have ever come from Europe. There is a staunch difference between the names you mention and role players in their mid 20’s finally coming to the NBA. If anyone is expecting Poirier to rise to the level of a Jokic, Porzingis or even Nurkic then they are only setting themselves up for disappointment. There are plenty of guys who have come from Europe who have put up good stats overseas and then become merely end of the bench guys in the NBA. Guys like Larkin and Wanamaker. We know nothing of Poirier, for all those saying RWIII isn’t ready and can’t do this and can’t do that seem convinced that a guy who’s never played a minute in the NBA can do the things required to stick in the rotation. Once again, I don’t see how he can possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA

There has been a major difference between the success of those drafted from Europe and those coming over mid-career as FAs.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#219 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 am

Read on Twitter

Vincent Poirier talked about his decision to leave Baskonia and move to the NBA to sign with the Boston Celtics.

Here is what the French big man told Basket USA:

On leaving Baskonia to join the Celtics: “They were in contact with my agents, not with me. But I preferred to finish the season with Baskonia.

We organized the EuroLeague Final Four and I really wanted to participate. We failed to make it but I don’t regret staying until the end of the season.

They wanted me for the playoffs, but it’s not easy to integrate on such a team. I think it was better for me to wait, do the training camp, preseason and start the new season with them.”

On speaking with Boston’s head coach Brad Stevens and big man Enes Kanter: “I’ve spoken with the coach. He knows me as all members of the club. He told me what he expects of me.

He knows what I can bring to the team and I think he likes my profile. He’s a great coach and I’m happy to play for him.

I have also talked with Enes Kanter but not about the game. He’s a good guy and I hope we’ll perform well this season to do some great things with Boston. A legendary franchise.”
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#220 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

:cut:

::ripple effect::

:::dissolve:::

*homerclease comments about Luka Doncic before the draft*

:fade out:

::the more you know star::

Return to Boston Celtics