ImageImageImageImageImage

Damien Lee is back...signs the 2 way

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Damien Lee is back...signs the 2 way 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm glad he's back. I really liked the way he finished last season and especially the way he competes on the defensive end.

Kerr has some familiarity with him, so he may have somewhat of an inside track going into training camp.

He shot 40% from 3, and 87% from the line last year. His per 36 numbers for the last 2 seasons are 15 points and 6 rebounds per game.

I was surprised by the 6 rebounds per 36. That's a nice number and I hope it continues. The numbers are almost identical for his 2 NBA stints, so let's hope he keeps it there.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Re: Damien Lee is back...signs the 2 way 

Post#2 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Must have given up hope of another team offering him a regular contract. Still, I wonder why he didn't wait another month or so. The QO didn't expire until October 1.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#3 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:47 pm

He has to be the most accurate shooter we have off the bench. Even though he is on a 2 way contract he is probably like our 10th best player.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#4 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:02 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:He has to be the most accurate shooter we have off the bench. Even though he is on a 2 way contract he is probably like our 10th best player.

He was pretty much better than Cook last season when the times are adjusted I think. Before he came to the Warriors, his 3 point shot was a bit iffy, but he's really become better at it. And he's young, so there's a good chance it wasn't an anomaly. It's a good signing for a two way contract, but in some ways, I wish the team gambled more on finding a hidden gem of a small forward like Washburn.

I'm surprised other teams didn't give Lee a chance at a vet. minimum. As an end of the bench type of guy, I don't know who you can get that is better.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#5 » by Phase 3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Should be on the regular roster. He’s more useful than a lot of the bench scrubs.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#6 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Phase 3 wrote:Should be on the regular roster. He’s more useful than a lot of the bench scrubs.
I'm willing to bet he was going to be until their plans changed when KD decided to leave. Then the Ws had no choice but to shift everything. They knew with Livingston, Iguodala, and KD not being on the team, the chain of events was going to result in them having to get a sf(Robinson) and somebody who has experience handling the ball(Burks).

Really left them with no room or luxury to add Lee.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#7 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 pm

killmongrel wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:He has to be the most accurate shooter we have off the bench. Even though he is on a 2 way contract he is probably like our 10th best player.

He was pretty much better than Cook last season when the times are adjusted I think. Before he came to the Warriors, his 3 point shot was a bit iffy, but he's really become better at it. And he's young, so there's a good chance it wasn't an anomaly. It's a good signing for a two way contract, but in some ways, I wish the team gambled more on finding a hidden gem of a small forward like Washburn.

I'm surprised other teams didn't give Lee a chance at a vet. minimum. As an end of the bench type of guy, I don't know who you can get that is better.

I thought someone might take a shot with him, also. And anyone could have had him, since the Warriors couldn't match without cutting someone, McKinnie for instance. No chance they would have done that.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:31 pm

He and Bowman shouldn't get too comfortable. They will get replaced if a better performer is found in camp.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#9 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:He and Bowman shouldn't get too comfortable. They will get replaced if a better performer is found in camp.

I hope this is the case. It's not that these are bad signings, but the Ws shouldn't have a problem cutting two way contracts if something better comes along since it'll only cost them pocket change.

I hope they invite McLain and Washburn to take one last look at them.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#10 » by azwfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:09 pm

Love Damion Lee for the way he competes. He tries defensively, hustles for loose balls, and can knock down open threes. Not a lot more you can ask for from a 2-way / end of the bench type guy.

I hope, but I'm not entirely sure that the following 2/3's will be clearly better than him this year:

Evans III
Robinson III
Poole
McKinnie
Burks

These guys will need to compete for minutes.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#11 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:32 am

That small forward spot is gonna be up for constant debate all year long till Klay returns. Lee might get consideration since I think he is the only guy who is a lock to hit approaching 40% from 3. Washburn I think would have been worth a look, his shooting form is smooth and he was a college dpoy so you know he's not bad on that end.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#12 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:42 am

DAWill1128 wrote:That small forward spot is gonna be up for constant debate all year long till Klay returns. Lee might get consideration since I think he is the only guy who is a lock to hit approaching 40% from 3. Washburn I think would have been worth a look, his shooting form is smooth and he was a college dpoy so you know he's not bad on that end.

Lee is not very good on defense. 6'5" Damion Lee is not a good option for a starting sf. I'd rather see either McKinnie, Robinson, Evans, or even Paschall start.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 am

Of all of the possible minute getters at SF/wing on the roster the one I want to see most is Robinson, followed by Evans, and Burks. McKinnie is what he is, I don't expect him to change all that much.

Paschall if he can play there is interesting too.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#14 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 am

killmongrel wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:That small forward spot is gonna be up for constant debate all year long till Klay returns. Lee might get consideration since I think he is the only guy who is a lock to hit approaching 40% from 3. Washburn I think would have been worth a look, his shooting form is smooth and he was a college dpoy so you know he's not bad on that end.

6'5" Damion Lee

According to Google...
Lee: 6'6" 210 lbs.
Evans: 6'6" 210 lbs.
GR3: 6'6", 223 lbs.
McKinnie: 6'8", 215 lbs.
Klay: 6'7", 215 lbs
Burks: 6'6", 214 lbs
Paschall: 6'7", 255 lbs

With the exception of Paschall and to a lesser degree GR3, these guys are all bout the same size. Granted, height / weight don't tell the whole story.

I agree though that Damion Lee is not a good option to start. But honestly, (with the exception of Klay), none of these guys are good options to start. But we got 6 of em... hopefully a few of them will separate themselves from the pack.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#15 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:54 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

6'5" Damion Lee

According to Google...
Lee: 6'6" 210 lbs.
Evans: 6'6" 210 lbs.
GR3: 6'6", 223 lbs.
McKinnie: 6'8", 215 lbs.
Klay: 6'7", 215 lbs
Burks: 6'6", 214 lbs
Paschall: 6'7", 255 lbs

With the exception of Paschall and to a lesser degree GR3, these guys are all bout the same size. Granted, height / weight don't tell the whole story.

I agree though that Damion Lee is not a good option to start. But honestly, (with the exception of Klay), none of these guys are good options to start. But we got 6 of em... hopefully a few of them will separate themselves from the pack.
I want Paschall to impress so much that he starts.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#16 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Of all of the possible minute getters at SF/wing on the roster the one I want to see most is Robinson, followed by Evans, and Burks. McKinnie is what he is, I don't expect him to change all that much.

Paschall if he can play there is interesting too.

The ones I want to see the most are Paschall and Evans. Burks I feel like we know what he is. He's a meh scorer who gets injured a ton. I get a strong feeling GR3 isn't any better than a decent Gleague prospect. Hope I'm wrong though.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:10 am

I suspect Paschall may struggle with fouls until the refs and he adjust to each other.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#18 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 am

I wonder how Kerr is going to use him considering he gets only 45 days with the big club and we have very little ability to sign him to a regular roster spot being hard-capped. If we use him later in the season and he settles into a niche getting regular minutes then we lose his contributions going into the playoffs. If we use him early and he excels the only way we can continue to use him once his 45 days are up is if we cut McKinnie before his contract is guaranteed or we find someone to take another player, probably having to add a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Being hard-capped is awkward.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#19 » by Coxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:15 am

Cool
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#20 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:29 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:I wonder how Kerr is going to use him considering he gets only 45 days with the big club and we have very little ability to sign him to a regular roster spot being hard-capped. If we use him later in the season and he settles into a niche getting regular minutes then we lose his contributions going into the playoffs. If we use him early and he excels the only way we can continue to use him once his 45 days are up is if we cut McKinnie before his contract is guaranteed or we find someone to take another player, probably having to add a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Being hard-capped is awkward.

It would be quite possible to convert Lee's two-way to a minimum salary, regular NBA contract at the end of the season, if they wanted him for the playoffs (assuming they have a roster spot.) Rest of season minimum contracts are pro-rated from the beginning of the season, so at the very end it would only cost a few days salary, which they could fit under the hard cap. Of course by then, everything may look very different.

Return to Golden State Warriors