Very borderline
28%

Total votes: 29

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Re: Do we playoff next season? 

Post#21 » by whitehops » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:09 pm

i like our supporting cast better than last season but we are still very shallow on play makers and those guys (blake, reggie, rose) are big injury risks. even if kennard and bruce brown improve their ability with the ball it won't be enough for the team to succeed if one of the "play making" three go down for any extended time, especially blake.

reggie played all 82 games last season and as far as i know was healthy heading into the offseason which is a great sign for him going forward. he can spend this offseason further strengthening the muscles that can prevent injury, instead of rehabbing just to get back to playing shape. hopefully having him and rose allows casey to limit their minutes to the 25 range instead of ~28 like they did last season.

rose hasn't played more than 65 games in a season since 2016, where he played 66 games. he hasn't had a "healthy" season 2011, where he tore his acl the first time in the playoffs. he would really benefit from backing up reggie and playing less minutes to try to preserve his body a bit. i still think it's hard to trust rose to play much more than 60 games, which could be a problem given we don't have a guard that has proven they can take over backup PG duties.

blake had his healthiest season in a while last year but he started to wear down towards playoff time. he had arthroscopic surgery to clean up his knee which means he still has some rehab time this offseason. i'd be skeptical of him playing as many games next season, but hopefully the addition of another play maker in rose and a capable backup PF/C in morris allows casey to lower blake's minutes to the 32 range (from 35).

if all three guys are relatively healthy (all play 70-75+ games) then i think 45 wins is the goal. if one or two of those guys go down for any extended time then 35 wins is a lot more likely.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#22 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:59 pm

The key question is -- will we do tank trades if we're not making the playoffs by the All-Star break/trade deadline?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#23 » by Manocad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:44 pm

hoophabit wrote:
Manocad wrote:
SamFlow wrote:I'm taking the over. Without a doubt. If I had a grand, I'd bet that. ... Anyone willing to loan me a grand so I can bet it on the pistons?

You got it. The juice is 5 points a week.

Usurer! Manocad is our resident 'payday lender.' :lol: :wink:

I didn’t get to where I’m at on just my good looks.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:The key question is -- will we do tank trades if we're not making the playoffs by the All-Star break/trade deadline?

No.

Last time that happened we traded for Griffin. I think we’re done making moves like that, but I doubt tank trades are in the cards as much as I’d like to see it.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#25 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 am

you'd have to be an idiot to bet the under
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#26 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:23 pm

The_Irony wrote:you'd have to be an idiot to bet the under

To bet the under is to bet on injuries IMO.

Not idiotic with this core. I wouldn’t bet the under personally but it’s not crazy.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,378

Post#27 » by Billl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Nothing "dumb" about taking the under. That's how over/under works. Anything else would mean Vegas is losing money and we all know that doesn't happen.

Anyway, we all saw how horrible the team looked when blake was out.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#28 » by flow » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:24 pm

The_Irony wrote:you'd have to be an idiot to bet the under

It's a safer bet than the over.

When was the last time Blake was healthy for two consecutive seasons?

Without Blake, this is a bottom-5 team.

The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Reggie played 82 games
Blake played 75.

the over under last year was 38 and somehow it's less this season with upgrades in the backup positions?

do you people realize Arnie kander is back with the team? :lol:
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#30 » by Sort » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:07 pm

First, hate to be a hater, but a Reggie injury isn't horrible. He's such a defensive liability that Frazier/Rose combo could at least come close to Reggie level. It is only Blake's health that truly determines how far the Pistons go. The supporting cast is a better fit, and you can't discount the possibility that Blake and Rose miss a dozen games only. Ceiling is probably sixth seed again, but I like the odds of making it.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#31 » by flow » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

The_Irony wrote:Reggie played 82 games
Blake played 75.

the over under last year was 38 and somehow it's less this season with upgrades in the backup positions?

You should take this as a tip rather than a mistake. Vegas isn't stupid.

The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:27 pm

flow wrote:
The_Irony wrote:Reggie played 82 games
Blake played 75.

You should take this as a tip rather than a mistake. Vegas isn't stupid.

never said anything about Vegas being idiots or wrong. I'm sure they made money on non pistons fans and pistons fans alike betting the under.

I'm betting the over ..it's easy money like it was for me last year.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:26 am

I think we beat the odds by being healthy last season, though I’ll acknowledge it’s puzzling we’re projected as worse than last year.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#34 » by bstein14 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 pm

The biggest reason that we might be better than last year is the fact its a contract year for Reggie and Dre and we aren't paying either of them what they want (if they event want to be here anymore) with them winning 0 playoff games the last 5 years together.

If those guys come out and play to win it could be a big difference maker for this team. Honestly with the Knicks signing all those one year deals it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go after someone like Dre (+ Reggie) with some of that cap space next summer because I think Draymond, Davis, and Siakam are all staying put Dre it one of their best options to bring in an "all-star" player.

I am starting to feel more and more like Dre doesn't want to be in Detroit long term.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#35 » by Mr. Krabs » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:22 pm

We go for that 9th spot
Next year we will somehow manage to snatch the 8th.
And the other year we will finish 9th
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#36 » by Canadafan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:14 pm

bstein14 wrote:The biggest reason that we might be better than last year is the fact its a contract year for Reggie and Dre and we aren't paying either of them what they want (if they event want to be here anymore) with them winning 0 playoff games the last 5 years together.

If those guys come out and play to win it could be a big difference maker for this team. Honestly with the Knicks signing all those one year deals it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go after someone like Dre (+ Reggie) with some of that cap space next summer because I think Draymond, Davis, and Siakam are all staying put Dre it one of their best options to bring in an "all-star" player.

I am starting to feel more and more like Dre doesn't want to be in Detroit long term.

All the more reason we should trade these two clowns.
Hopefully our front office realizes this and tries to get us something for both of them
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#37 » by SamFlow » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Manocad wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
Manocad wrote:You got it. The juice is 5 points a week.

And I'm only always right. So give up the dough and I'll pay you back from my winnings!!!
BigDaddyJungle
SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by SamFlow » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Billl wrote:Nothing "dumb" about taking the under. That's how over/under works. Anything else would mean Vegas is losing money and we all know that doesn't happen.

Anyway, we all saw how horrible the team looked when blake was out.

Vegas is saying injuries will riddle us... or blake and or dre will be traded out for the future.

Portland and Chicago and two teams I wouldn't mind trading guys too at this moment.
BigDaddyJungle
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#39 » by Manocad » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 pm

SamFlow wrote:
Manocad wrote:
hoophabit wrote:

And I'm only always right. So give up the dough and I'll pay you back from my winnings!!!

No problem. At $50/week from now until the regular seasons ends you’ll owe me about $2850. Just give me something I can sell for $3000 and you got the grand.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by SamFlow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 am

Manocad wrote:
SamFlow wrote:
Manocad wrote:I didn’t get to where I’m at on just my good looks.

No problem. At $50/week from now until the regular seasons ends you’ll owe me about $2850. Just give me something I can sell for $3000 and you got the grand.

I got about 180 12inch windspinners.... about 20-25 bucks each. Sell on amazon or ebay... your choice... Give me the grand and you can get you the windspinners. No joke... I got them.
BigDaddyJungle

Return to Detroit Pistons