ImageImageImageImageImage

Possible candidates for the TPE next summer.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Possible candidates for the TPE next summer. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:13 am

So I was doing a bit of research and looking at teams who possibly have a surplus of players who play the same position, tanking, rebuilding, or just want some contracts off their books. Here's a list of players that I think the Warriors might be able to get for the 17m TPE next summer. Might have to attach a first round pick though for some of these. If I'm wrong about some technicalities of the TPE, let me know.

Will Barton (sg/sf) - 14m/2 years - He had an underwhelming season last year and got overtaken by Torrey Craig. I think Denver might want to get rid of his contract as they get ready to re-sign other players as well as give MJP a bigger role.

Dion Waiters (sg) - 13m/expiring - Miami has wanted to get rid of this guy for a while. Would he be worth it to come off the bench to play the 2, which to me, isn't really a position we need insurance at.

Wayne Ellington (sg) - 8m/expiring - Great sharp shooter. Played well in the playoffs. But again, a player at a position we probably are good at. Still a good addition though.

Elfrid Payton (pg) - 8m/expiring - Knicks have a surplus of point guards it seems. If they are willing to get rid of Elfrid Payton for a pick, he might be decent as a backup. But if DLO is still on the team, Evans steps up as a pg, and Ky impresses, then the pg position might be covered.

Reggie Bullock (sg/sf) - 4m/expiring - Might be able to play at the 3. Has some health problem right at the moment so I'm not sure what his current condition is. At 4m, he's a really good deal.

Taj Gibson (pf/c) - 10m/expiring - Not a bad addition at all, but plays at a position were we should be stacked at if everything goes right.

Rudy Gay (sf/pf) - 14m/expiring - This one is interesting. If the Spurs don't look like they can compete after next season, then this might be a possibility. Maybe Popovich does Kerr a favor. In 2021, the Spurs will have pretty much all of their major contracts off of their books and might see the chance to rebuild and spend time developing their young core.

DeMarre Carroll (sf/pf) - 7m/2 years - Same reasoning as Rudy Gay.

What do you guys think?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Possible candidates for the TPE next summer. 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:39 am

Barton I like, though he's an offense stopper who is a streaky scorer.

Waiters ... I don't think he'll work for it.

Ellington I like, okay defender, but otherwise pretty much just a spot of 3 shooter. No kidding, the Warriors need more shooting.

Payton I like, but his ceiling seems to be 30+ Shaun Livingston.

Bullock, no idea because of health. If he's 100% he's a serviceable mid-bench guy.

Gibson I like in a David West like role. Hard headed rebounder/defender who can put the ball in the basket when wide open.

Gay and Carroll I think are on the decline and neither plays much D anymore, but a 3 point shooter who knows how to play is always useful.

I'd add:
Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder from the Griz.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:52 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Barton I like, though he's an offense stopper who is a streaky scorer.

Waiters ... I don't think he'll work for it.

Ellington I like, okay defender, but otherwise pretty much just a spot of 3 shooter. No kidding, the Warriors need more shooting.

Payton I like, but his ceiling seems to be 30+ Shaun Livingston.

Bullock, no idea because of health. If he's 100% he's a serviceable mid-bench guy.

Gibson I like in a David West like role. Hard headed rebounder/defender who can put the ball in the basket when wide open.

Gay and Carroll I think are on the decline and neither plays much D anymore, but a 3 point shooter who knows how to play is always useful.

I'd add:
Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder from the Griz.
I don't know enough about Solomon Hill, but his stats are atrocious for what we're looking at the 3. And Jae Crowder's contract is expiring this season. Plus, I think he's a player, if the Warriors want they could get for the MLE on a multi-year deal.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm

killmongrel wrote:I don't know enough about Solomon Hill, but his stats are atrocious for what we're looking at the 3. And Jae Crowder's contract is expiring this season. Plus, I think he's a player, if the Warriors want they could get for the MLE on a multi-year deal.

True, Crowder wouldn't work for the TPE.

The reality is that I don't see any player who will be a good 3 and D player on the Warriors, they are all compromises. That said, Gay is probably the best of the list I've seen.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#5 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I don't know enough about Solomon Hill, but his stats are atrocious for what we're looking at the 3. And Jae Crowder's contract is expiring this season. Plus, I think he's a player, if the Warriors want they could get for the MLE on a multi-year deal.

True, Crowder wouldn't work for the TPE.

The reality is that I don't see any player who will be a good 3 and D player on the Warriors, they are all compromises. That said, Gay is probably the best of the list I've seen.

Yeah, if Klay is going to e the starting sf going forward, then Gay coming off the bench is probably as good of a player as we can get with the TPE. I also expect Iguodala to re-sign with the Warriors by the summer of 2020, so our sf rotation would be pretty good.

Steph/Evans
DLO/Poole
Klay/Gay/Iguodala
Green/Paschall
Looney/Spellman/Smailagic

Our pg depth would actually be taken cared of just due to having both Steph and DLO. Draft a rookie for wing depth. Use the MLE to either re-sign any of the players that impress this season like WCS, Robinson, Burks, etc, or try to get a ring chasing vet on a multi-year deal. See if Smailagic has taken enough of a leap to be the starting traditional center and put him through the same trial by fire Jones was. If we don't decide to trade anybody or dump any of the rooks, we won't even have room or need to try to get some vet. minimum players.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 pm

I'd like Iguodala to come back as a coach more than as a player.

Ideally Iguodala stays in Memphis until late, gets released, and signs late with the Warriors this year and retires after this year.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I'd like Iguodala to come back as a coach more than as a player.

Ideally Iguodala stays in Memphis until late, gets released, and signs late with the Warriors this year and retires after this year.
Iguodala wouldn't be able to re-sign with the Warriors unfortunately due to the rules. He'd have to be traded one last time and then released to be eligible.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:03 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I'd like Iguodala to come back as a coach more than as a player.

Iguodala wouldn't be able to re-sign with the Warriors unfortunately due to the rules. He'd have to be traded one last time and then released to be eligible.

You are right. Forgot that.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#9 » by Warriorfan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:46 pm

I think the TPE will enhance a trade of DLo.

Something like

Min
Wiggins for DLO
TPE for Covington Okoge.

Or

Orl
DLO for Fultz Gordon
TPE for Fournier
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Warriorfan wrote:I think the TPE will enhance a trade of DLo.

Something like

Min
Wiggins for DLO
TPE for Covington Okoge.

Or

Orl
DLO for Fultz Gordon
TPE for Fournier

I'd rather have Russell than Wiggins/Fultz/Gordon.

TPE for Covington is a dream.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#11 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm

The problem with trade exceptions in general, is that they're only useful for receiving other teams discards and salary dumps. When the other team wants no salary back, only a draft pick or two, then you can fit a contract into your trade exception. Very tough to get quality this way, which is probably why most trade exceptions expire unused.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#12 » by giberish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:54 pm

xdrta+ wrote:The problem with trade exceptions in general, is that they're only useful for receiving other teams discards and salary dumps. When the other team wants no salary back, only a draft pick or two, then you can fit a contract into your trade exception. Very tough to get quality this way, which is probably why most trade exceptions expire unused.

It's a lot easier to add real help if you've got spare picks to add as incentive. Already being down 1-2 1sts limits the quality GS is likely to get in return since trading another 1st seems unlikely.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#13 » by azwfan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 pm

giberish wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:The problem with trade exceptions in general, is that they're only useful for receiving other teams discards and salary dumps. When the other team wants no salary back, only a draft pick or two, then you can fit a contract into your trade exception. Very tough to get quality this way, which is probably why most trade exceptions expire unused.

It's a lot easier to add real help if you've got spare picks to add as incentive. Already being down 1-2 1sts limits the quality GS is likely to get in return since trading another 1st seems unlikely.

As is related to the TPE, we are only down 1 future 1st. We won't be able to use the TPE to take on salary till the start of the new league year. At that point the 2020 1st will either have already been conveyed or used (by us). Therefore, the pick we are out with regards to attaching to the TPE is the 2024 pick (though its tied up until 2026 due to protections). We will be able to trade the 2021 or 2022 pick this summer... which would be the same situation if we hadn't included the 2020 pick in a deal.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#14 » by cpower » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Something like

Min
Wiggins for DLO
TPE for Covington Okoge.

Or

Orl
DLO for Fultz Gordon
TPE for Fournier

3 way
Min
Wiggins for DLO

GSW
DLO for Kawhi

LAC
Kawhi for Wiggins
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm

azwfan wrote:
giberish wrote:

As is related to the TPE, we are only down 1 future 1st. We won't be able to use the TPE to take on salary till the start of the new league year. At that point the 2020 1st will either have already been conveyed or used (by us). Therefore, the pick we are out with regards to attaching to the TPE is the 2024 pick (though its tied up until 2026 due to protections). We will be able to trade the 2021 or 2022 pick this summer... which would be the same situation if we hadn't included the 2020 pick in a deal.

Still possible they keep the 2020 1st.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#16 » by killmongrel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:25 am

I think when it comes to the TPE, I can see the Warriors using it on a player that may not be the best fit. I think the Warriors value the slot more than the need for the player itself.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#17 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 am

cpower wrote:

Something like

Min
Wiggins for DLO
TPE for Covington Okoge.

Or

Orl
DLO for Fultz Gordon
TPE for Fournier

3 way
Min
Wiggins for DLO

GSW
DLO for Kawhi

LAC
Kawhi for Wiggins

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#18 » by cpower » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Coxy wrote:
cpower wrote:

Something like

Min
Wiggins for DLO
TPE for Covington Okoge.

Or

Orl
DLO for Fultz Gordon
TPE for Fournier

3 way
Min
Wiggins for DLO

GSW
DLO for Kawhi

LAC
Kawhi for Wiggins

8-) wait i thought Wiggins is GOAT.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:53 pm

Kawhi for Wiggins?.......Wolves easily say NO!!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#20 » by giberish » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:45 pm

azwfan wrote:
giberish wrote:

You can make deals before/during the draft that don't become official until July - as long as there's no extra negotiations to make, just waiting for the league year to change. There's also just the issue of wanting to bring in some 1st round picks to keep and develop, which would make me less willing to deal a 2021 or 2022 1st if the 2020 1st isn't kept, regardless of CBA rules.

Return to Golden State Warriors