Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Re: 2019 NBA Offseason Discussion 

Post#541 » by Outside » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Eskobar13 wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:
Outside wrote:
It's amazing how under the radar the Warriors are. They shouldn't be title favorites, and I get that all the free-agent pairings are shiny and new, but people have just put them in the rear view mirror like they're done.

I also get how the new free-agent pairings makes this all about duos, but Utah is also flying under the radar just because they don't have an all-NBA duo. I'll take their balanced roster over multiple of these duos.

If not for the injury to Klay, they'd still absolutely be contenders. While a lot of the depth is gone, and they're older, Klay + Curry + Dray won 73 games a couple years ago.

And Bogut. And Barnes. And non-washed Iggy... I mean either of these guys' 2016 version would easily be their 4th best player when the season starts. Iggy and Bogut I might even have above Russell. Not to mention Livingston, Ezeli, Barbosa are all likely better than the 5-8 they have now.

Correct, they aren't the same team that won 73 games. 4-15 are different. But 1-3 still make an excellent core.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#542 » by Dupp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Lebron and AD had taco Tuesday. Very important off season information.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,321

Post#543 » by The High Cyde » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Dupp wrote:Lebron and AD had taco Tuesday. Very important off season information.

I seent it!
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#544 » by ardee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
mcraft wrote:I attribute the rise of strength training in basketball to Jordan. I'm sure he wasn't the first to do it but it seems he brought it mainstream.

Among guards maybe. Karl Malone, David Robinson, Olajuwon, Charles Barkley were all of the same generation and took weight training way more seriously than MJ, started way earlier, and saw way more results with it, to say nothing of Shaq. Jordan was an outlier amongst guards at the time but absolutely not overall.

This picture never gets old.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#545 » by Dupp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:08 pm

ardee wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
mcraft wrote:I attribute the rise of strength training in basketball to Jordan. I'm sure he wasn't the first to do it but it seems he brought it mainstream.

Among guards maybe. Karl Malone, David Robinson, Olajuwon, Charles Barkley were all of the same generation and took weight training way more seriously than MJ, started way earlier, and saw way more results with it, to say nothing of Shaq. Jordan was an outlier amongst guards at the time but absolutely not overall.

Wilt... I remember Arnold talking about wilt being as strong as anyone in the gym and that was when he was winning mr Olympia.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#546 » by ardee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Dupp wrote:
ardee wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Wilt... I remember Arnold talking about wilt being as strong as anyone in the gym and that was when he was winning mr Olympia.

Yeah Wilt was a savage in the gym but I think Robinson's arms and shoulders here are the most jacked I've ever seen an NBA player look.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#547 » by Dupp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:54 pm

ardee wrote:
Dupp wrote:
ardee wrote:

Yeah Wilt was a savage in the gym but I think Robinson's arms and shoulders here are the most jacked I've ever seen an NBA player look.

Yeah he has the best physique of an nba player no doubt
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#548 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 am

What a turnaround Uncle Dennis has had. From my perspective, he went from a guy poisoning the ear of a candy-puff quitter, to being a legit Executive of the Year candidate for essentially building a title contender one year and then building another separate contender a year later with the same core piece.

I also had a misguided take on Kawhi. I was too harsh in naming him a quitter. He and Agent Dennis knew the gameplan. San Antonio is so boring. You never make money with purist fanatics; you make money with casual fans. Get to a big market. They did just that and then some, likely getting their beaks wet with some of that Balmer bullion under the table. Respect for manipulating an already polluted system to their advantage.

Finally, respect to the Spurs for hiring Tim Duncan. Love Pop's quote.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#549 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:30 pm

ronnymac2 wrote:What a turnaround Uncle Dennis has had. From my perspective, he went from a guy poisoning the ear of a candy-puff quitter, to being a legit Executive of the Year candidate for essentially building a title contender one year and then building another separate contender a year later with the same core piece.

I also had a misguided take on Kawhi. I was too harsh in naming him a quitter. He and Agent Dennis knew the gameplan. San Antonio is so boring. You never make money with purist fanatics; you make money with casual fans. Get to a big market. They did just that and then some, likely getting their beaks wet with some of that Balmer bullion under the table. Respect for manipulating an already polluted system to their advantage.

Finally, respect to the Spurs for hiring Tim Duncan. Love Pop's quote.

Well the gameplan involved quitting on a team that could've contended for a championship so I don't think you were misguided at all.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#550 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Curry, Hield, Klay and Redick at their volume... :o
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#551 » by Colbinii » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Is anyone else just not buying into the Clippers?

I feel like they have 2 major weaknesses; Rim Protection and playmaking. I can't remember a title team without at least one of these (and most teams have both).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#552 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Colbinii wrote:Is anyone else just not buying into the Clippers?

I feel like they have 2 major weaknesses; Rim Protection and playmaking. I can't remember a title team without at least one of these (and most teams have both).

Was 2 months ago that far?

Lowry is a good playmaker, but he didn't really play like one in the playoffs so IDK if you can say they had good playmaking and their rim protection wasn't bad but wasn't good all year.

I do agree they need a true C outside of Zubac though. It's a major weakness but I think they'll trade for one midseason.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#553 » by Colbinii » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:28 pm

E-Balla wrote:

Lowry is a good playmaker, but he didn't really play like one in the playoffs so IDK if you can say they had good playmaking and their rim protection wasn't bad but wasn't good all year.

I do agree they need a true C outside of Zubac though. It's a major weakness but I think they'll trade for one midseason.

I thought Lowry was fantastic as a floor general for the Raptors.

6.6 to 1.7 Ast/TO against 76ers
5.2 to 1.8 Ast/TO against MIL

Not only that but his ability to orchestrate and offense and play off ball dwarfs Beverly.

I see I am starting to devolve this into more than playmaking but I think an experienced general like Lowry who knows how an offense should function and how to distribute the ball will be surely missed in the Clippers Offense.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#554 » by E-Balla » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

I thought Lowry was fantastic as a floor general for the Raptors.

6.6 to 1.7 Ast/TO against 76ers
5.2 to 1.8 Ast/TO against MIL

Not only that but his ability to orchestrate and offense and play off ball dwarfs Beverly.

I see I am starting to devolve this into more than playmaking but I think an experienced general like Lowry who knows how an offense should function and how to distribute the ball will be surely missed in the Clippers Offense.

I do agree they'll be missing a veteran offensive player to keep PG and Kawhi in check since they're basically the 2 biggest ballhogs in the league.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#555 » by eminence » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:35 am

Landry Shamet has got it on lock my dude.
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#556 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:14 am

Draymond Green will end up the most underpaid player of all time by career earnings. His worth to the Warriors is that of a clear-cut MVP and yet he’s paid like the league’s 30th best player.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#557 » by freethedevil » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:

This comment might make sense if lowry was their only playmaker, but the raptors had several good to elite playmakers. It was also why they were able to beat the bucks who were relying on giannis to be their whole offense. I'm also not sure what makes you think lowry "wasn't good" at playmaking in the playoffs. Even when he scored 0 points he was still posted a strong +/- and he posted the raptors second strongest offensive pipm despite not being close to a consistent scorer.

As for as box #"s a re concerned lowry had a very high assist to to ratio.

Unless we're defining "playmaking" differently i don't see how you figure toronto didn't have elite playmaking. Frankly, the last time i can think of a team winning without elite playamking would be the 2011 mavs.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#558 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:59 pm

freethedevil wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

This comment might make sense if lowry was their only playmaker, but the raptors had several good to elite playmakers. It was also why they were able to beat the bucks who were relying on giannis to be their whole offense. I'm also not sure what makes you think lowry "wasn't good" at playmaking in the playoffs. Even when he scored 0 points he was still posted a strong +/- and he posted the raptors second strongest offensive pipm despite not being close to a consistent scorer.

Unless we're defining "playmaking" differently i don't see how you figure toronto didn't have elite playmaking. Frankly, the last time i can think of a team winning without elite playamking would be the 2011 mavs.

I think you mean something different than us by playmaking because I wouldn't call any team with Jason Kidd a team lacking playmaking.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#559 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:00 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Draymond Green will end up the most underpaid player of all time by career earnings. His worth to the Warriors is that of a clear-cut MVP and yet he’s paid like the league’s 30th best player.

Absurd contract. Golden State got themselves a good one.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#560 » by freethedevil » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:42 pm

E-Balla wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Was 2 months ago that far?

I think you mean something different than us by playmaking because I wouldn't call any team with Jason Kidd a team lacking playmaking.

oh, i forgot he was on the mavs.

So then yeah, winning chips without elite playmakers is basically unprecedented.

Return to Player Comparisons