ImageImageImageImageImage

Other Notable Wizards' Front Office Hires (John Thompson III & Sashi Brown)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Re: Other Notable Wizards' Front Office Hires (John Thompson III & Sashi Brown) 

Post#21 » by Mind_Odyssey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:57 am

Sashi Brown is Sam Hinkie.

If you want a total rebuild, he’s perfect. Due to his moves for my Browns, he made it possible to get guys like Baker Mayfield and OBJ. I’m really rooting for him to succeed.

Prepare for insane tanking.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#22 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:03 am

Well it seems Ted is serious about making changes to the overall structure of how the organization is going to be run. The JT III addition makes sense given Ted's Georgetown ties, the Wizards youth movement, the addition of the Go Go, and the league's move to scout and draft High School players.

They also added former Philadelphia Sixer & FC Barcelona team physician Daniel Medina. Hopefully he can address this teams long history of being plagued with injuries.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/22/wizards-leave-shallow-end-deep-dive-new-organizati/
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#23 » by WallToWall » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:52 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Well it seems Ted is serious about making changes to the overall structure of how the organization is going to be run. The JT III addition makes sense given Ted's Georgetown ties, the Wizards youth movement, the addition of the Go Go, and the league's move to scout and draft High School players.

They also added former Philadelphia Sixer & FC Barcelona team physician Daniel Medina. Hopefully he can address this teams long history of being plagued with injuries.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/22/wizards-leave-shallow-end-deep-dive-new-organizati/

I'm really not sure what to make of all these front office hires, including this one.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixers-76ers-athlete-care-doctors-daniel-medina-david-martin-20190604.html
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#24 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm

I also like that Ted intends to sponsor AAU ball and build local ties in the community. Pour money into playgrounds and not only give back to the community but build a structure to foster up and coming players in amateur ball. Like basically a farm team system or AAA ball in baseball. And use that to help fuel the GoGo team etc. But more than anything to show appreciation for the fanbase.

I can see how people would be anxious when Ted talks about having a basketball ‘board’ that makes major decisions. But when he talks about players meeting the ownership group and bringing Raul Fernandez and Laurene Powell Jobs to the table to engage with players and talk about opportunities outside of Basketball I see it as internal recruitment of the stakeholders and a powerful recruitment nugget fro free agents.

When else in life do you get a chance to chat with a multibillionaire and successful businessperson in their own right about what you want to do outside of basketball.

And if these powerful owners have interest in the team and engagement in the process they can feel better about pouring funding into the “uncapped and untapped” resources that Sashi was talking about. You can pay as many coaches as you need, the league doesn’t limit that. You can upgrade the facilities. You can engage with families and help them outside of the game.

The first thing out of Tommys mouth when discussing money was talking about medical staff and training facilities. Having the best in the world of both.

I also like the idea of engagement between the Wiz the Mystics and GoGo in the practice facilities. For nba guys to see the energy of the hungry guys fighting to make it in the league. And for the G squad to see the professionalism necessary to make it to the Association. Or for both to check in on the skills of our W league team. Who play a smarter brand of ball since above the rim athletics isn’t a factor. And to see a friendly competition develop, to race to see which of the teams can win a chip first. Sounds like a fun place to work.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:44 am

Read on Twitter
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,583

Post#26 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:47 pm

trast66 wrote:This all sounds good, trying a new structure and these specific guys.

But I’m still not pleased that Scott Brooks is the coach.

I have liked Brooks in some ways. His game management is iffy at best but he seems to be doing a good job at developing what talent Ernie gave him and not playing guys who aren't ready. The one massive exception is picking up Lawson and playing him ahead of Satoransky. If we had to keep one of Brooks or Grunfeld, we moved on from the right one. Now, if we were a legit contender, I'd probably want a different coach to actually win games but for now, I don't think it's going to hurt us.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pinkman7382
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#27 » by pinkman7382 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 pm

did anyone watch the introductory press conference they did on monday? Leonsis and Sheppard both mentioned some guy named Joe Seal.. think he's a smart analytics guy they're hiring
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Sashi Brown is Sam Hinkie.

If you want a total rebuild, he’s perfect. Due to his moves for my Browns, he made it possible to get guys like Baker Mayfield and OBJ. I’m really rooting for him to succeed.

Prepare for insane tanking.

Read on Twitter
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's like Tommy hired a version of the old Tommy to help the new Tommy. I like it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#31 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Me too. But who he's going to get to run the amateur personnel?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#32 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:37 pm

For very little $$ I'll be his Director of Wisdom of the Crowds.

When I say "very little $$" keep in mind that I'm not gonna pay him much, ok!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#33 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Ted putting his money where his mouth is , so far at least

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#34 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Ted putting his money where his mouth is , so far at least

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Gotta like it. Seems Ted is really all in on this restructure of the organization, and is trying to bring in as much talent as possible to managent. Hopefully it is eventually gonna result in more talent on the court.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM

Post#35 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:03 am

Maybe an overstatement there....

What's true is that the Wizards have had a small FO, & we are seeing it expanded. That's good.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#36 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:47 am

Leonsis had the opportunity to run the team like Ballmer but chose to slog it through with Ernie and "conventional" means for almost a decade. I guess better late than never.
Bullets -> Wizards
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#37 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:19 pm

Dean Oliver is the Godfather of basketball analytics as we know it, this an excellent hire.. EXCELLENT. Ever heard coaches talk about the “Four Factors of Basketball” ? Oliver first published that theory 2 decades ago. Well done Ted

Read on Twitter
?s=21
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#38 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:44 pm

The grandmaster of Basketball analytics. The OG DO. Alright.

And Corey Gaines' mother is Japanese, like Hachimura's. He played a year in a Japanese pro league amid his 14 year pro career. He has guest coached the Japanese Women's Olympic team
payitforward
RealGM

Post#39 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:00 am

Way to pick up on that Japanese connection, Doc -- well done indeed!

& Oliver... count me impressed. I've been dinging Ted, but this is evidence that I may well have been wrong. I'd be delighted if that were so!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#40 » by doclinkin » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:20 am

payitforward wrote:Way to pick up on that Japanese connection, Doc -- well done indeed!

& Oliver... count me impressed. I've been dinging Ted, but this is evidence that I may well have been wrong. I'd be delighted if that were so!

What I’m saying. The things they’re doing they are doing with forethought and intent. Why I said take a look at who they picked up and try to guess why. Instead of racing to bd the first to be unimpressed. I’m saying there’s a shape in all the things they’re doing and I’m wondering why.

I like that Corey Gaines coached the Phoenix Mercury to a title. On the heels of that press conference where they hinted about integrated training and cross pollination between the NBA, G League, and Mystics. The idea that players will pick up inspiration and tips from all sources.

Maybe it means nothing that our WNBA stars ranged Bigs pouring it in from outside. And costarring a guard with range and dribble drive. I’m just curious if it’s something intentional. I dunno.

Return to Washington Wizards