Post#1 » by realboredcactus » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Keeps Dame and CJ in PDX for next 5 seasons
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Re: CJ McCollum has agreed to a three-year, $100 million contract extension 

Post#2 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:29 pm

It will be interesting to see the specific details but at least its less than Beal's $111/3 and
not appreciably more than his current deal
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#3 » by BigRedDog » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:32 pm

oof.... i mean i know their hands were tied but i just dont understand the massive overpay coming off a down year... he's not a guy that will age well either at his size... really puts the criticism over a guy who is still nearr the top like CP3's extension into perspective..

It would have made a lot more sense to move him years ago for a piece that fits better. Now they're completley stuck for better or for worse.

At least he's kinda fun to watch, it's not as bad as like the Evan Turner deal or anything.

Can't say I'm a fan of the moves Portland made this off-season at all. But windows close quickly in the current NBA and I cant blame them for keeping a team together that seems to be popular with the fans.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,192

Post#4 » by BNM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:38 pm

This is good news. Significantly less than the max he could have pushed for. It truly is an extension of his current contract. They have him locked up longer with modest (by NBA standards) annual increases.

Of course, anyone who thinks he's currently overpaid will poopoo this announcement, but there is no pleasing some people. Given his production and what other players are getting, it seems like a good, but not great deal, for both sides.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Probably fair value I suppose. I was afraid he’d get closer to 50 mil a year which would’ve put us in salary gahenna. I think if he doesn’t regress this looks like a value contact when all is said and done
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,192

Post#6 » by BNM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 pm

BigRedDog wrote:oof.... i mean i know their hands were tied but i just dont understand the massive overpay coming off a down year... he's not a guy that will age well either at his size... really puts the criticism over a guy who is still nearr the top like CP3's extension into perspective..

It would have made a lot more sense to move him years ago for a piece that fits better. Now they're completley stuck for better or for worse.

At least he's kinda fun to watch, it's not as bad as like the Evan Turner deal or anything.

Can't say I'm a fan of the moves Portland made this off-season at all. But windows close quickly in the current NBA and I cant blame them for keeping a team together that seems to be popular with the fans.

CP3 is 34, C.J. is 27. Paul's contract (at the age of 33) started where C.J.'s will max out (~$35 - $36 million ) and goes up from there, topping out at $44 million when he is 36. Yeah, CP3 is better, but he is injury prone, old and declining - all the while his salary increasing.

I disagree that C.J.'s game won't age well. In fact, I believe the EXACT opposite. His game relies on craftiness and a great handle, not freakish athleticism or quickness. He's one of the least athletic SGs in the league, but still capable of averaging 21 - 23 ppg as a second option.

He started slow last season, but came on really strong in the second half. He has averaged 25 ppg in the playoffs over the last two seasons. He's not a bargain, but he's also not grossly overpaid.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#7 » by wco81 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Oden2 wrote:Probably fair value I suppose. I was afraid he’d get closer to 50 mil a year which would’ve put us in salary gahenna. I think if he doesn’t regress this looks like a value contact when all is said and done

How would he have gotten that much?

He'd have to be all-NBA and a 10-year vet, because that's super max money.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#8 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 pm

BigRedDog wrote:he's not a guy that will age well either at his size...

Curious about this, generally shooters have aged pretty well as that is not a skill that diminishes with age, also 32 is not old. Lots of guys his size doing just fine at 32. JJ Redick has had arguably the best years of his career in his early 30's.

Can't say I'm a fan of the moves Portland made this off-season at all

What? Both our trades were absolute wins. What other moves are big losses in your mind?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Oden2 wrote:Probably fair value I suppose. I was afraid he’d get closer to 50 mil a year which would’ve put us in salary gahenna. I think if he doesn’t regress this looks like a value contact when all is said and done

his max was going to be in the 40M/year range, not 50M. Dame is 'only' at 49M with a super-max

33M/year puts Dame/CJ at 82M year. That's not as bad as the possible 88-90M a year, but it's still high

more significantly it locks the Blazers to Dame/CJ as their top-2 (based on salary). I don't think a top-2 of Dame/CJ will ever win a title. But the way salaries are going, CJ's contract would still be tradeable in those 3 years of the extension. Right now, I doubt any team, other than one led by Olshey, would want to commit to 5 years of CJ at over 30M a year
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#10 » by red_power » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Hasn't been selected for an all star game yet but he's still going to earn $33M per year.

NBA where amazing happens.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:00 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:]Can't say I'm a fan of the moves Portland made this off-season at all

What? Both our trades were absolute wins. What other moves are big losses in your mind?

the trades were definitely wins. Further, they ushered guys out the door that should have been ushered out of the door 1 or 2 years ago...or more

I would have definitely preferred Joakim Noah over Gasol, but that's a quibble. And it may be that the idea is that Gasol's perimeter shooting will patch any hole left by trading Meyers and his perimeter shooting

I'm not impressed with the Hezonja/Tolliver vet minimum pairing very much. It seems kind of blah, but again, that's a quibble. Still, a combo of say Jerebko/Vonleh would have impressed me a lot more especially if Portland have added a decent backup PG to the 15th spot
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#12 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:08 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

Curious about this, generally shooters have aged pretty well as that is not a skill that diminishes with age, also 32 is not old. Lots of guys his size doing just fine at 32. JJ Redick has had arguably the best years of his career in his early 30's.

Data from the time of Allan Houston (IIRC) suggested that jump shooter, 3-point percentages declined significantly at age 35. I recall conversations about bringing on older players off the bench. I haven’t read anything on this lately. I’d guess it’s as Prof. Willis Winter always said, “It all depends ...”
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 pm

red_power wrote:Hasn't been selected for an all star game yet but he's still going to earn $33M per year.

Such a lazy take.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Posted this in the General Board thread. I actually think this is a slight deal for PDX. He was going to be thrown MAX contracts in 2021 and should age tremendously well based on his skillset....

Once this extension kicks in, I don't think 33M per season will be seen as an overpay for a player of CJ's talent.

I mean, its only an average increase of 3.7M per season over what he makes the last year of his current deal, which is 29.35M.

In 21/22 lets assume the extension kicks in at 33M.

Compare that to some other deals this offseason and where they stand in 21/22:

Middleton 35.5M
Harris 35.95M
Murray 31.59M
Butler 36.02M

This is a market value deal, arguably a 1-2M discount. Not sure I love paying a guy before his due, but PDX must have projected a large cap increase prior to CJ expiring and therefore good chances of large deals being thrown his way in 2021. Many Blazers fans, including myself, expected a 40M AV deal signed that offseason.

Getting it done now likely reduced the AV 5-7M IMO. Possibly even more.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#15 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:54 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

Data from the time of Allan Houston (IIRC) suggested that jump shooter, 3-point percentages declined significantly at age 35. I recall conversations about bringing on older players off the bench. I haven’t read anything on this lately. I’d guess it’s as Prof. Willis Winter always said, “It all depends ...”

Father time gets us all. So of course they decline at some point or they would never leave the league.

The real question is do 3 point shooters decline slower or faster compared to other types of players? What type of player is not declining by 35?
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#16 » by mighty_duck » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Compare that to some other deals this offseason and where they stand in 21/22:

Middleton 35.5M
Harris 35.95M
Murray 31.59M
Butler 36.02M

If you think that CJ will have borderline All Star talent for his 30-33 years, then you are correct that this is a value deal.

Advanced statistics show only a slightly above average player, who is fairly weak defensively, is not a perfect match for Lilard and has peaked two years ago when he was 25.
I think we overpaid a bit, and there was little reason to do it now (except maybe from a team chemistry POV).
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#17 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm

red_power wrote:Hasn't been selected for an all star game yet but he's still going to earn $33M per year.

Silly comment. Put CJ in the East and he's a 3 time All Star!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#18 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 pm

At first I thought "why extend him this early?!!", but given it's a pretty decent deal, at least he's very trade-able if Simons flourishes and we need to diversify our cap to non-backcourt positions.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#19 » by zzaj » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Seems fairly reasonable. This will keep him in the sphere of tradeable contracts that might make sense for both teams going forward.

I'll admit to being a little bit surprised that it happened now. Olshey is really pushing that "we take care of our players" narrative.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#20 » by dunlop212 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Is it really a tradeable contract? All contracts are traceable, of course, but does this make him more of an asset than he was yesterday? How does this affect Portland's flexibility to extend other players in the next several years?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers