best young core according to Carmelo ratings

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

best young core according to Carmelo ratings 

Post#1 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:42 am

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

If Porzingas had played last season we no doubt would be ranked higher but I still have to complain because the high rank of Doncic has him almost penciled in as a future hall of famer and all time great. When you add in the unicorn status of Porzingas it is impossible not to put us as the 2nd best core behind Denver's Jokic and Murray though when the season is done it may be accepted that we have the better young core. Add in Jalen and the non mentioned Justin Jackson who may start at SF and we are clearly in the running for the best young core.

There is no way a guy like Zion is deserving of any high praise like this when he has not played game one in the NBA yet. Oh, and ditto for Memphis with Ja Morant. I remember last year when they were all saying Doncic was a potential bust so lets just see what they do first.

Rookies who have yet to even step on the court given such rating hype means this articles gushing praise is pure stupidity on this authors part.

Yeah you can include them in talk of the best young core when discussing potential but lets cool the hype and curtail issuing such moronic praise. We must see what these rookies have to bring to the game first.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Re: best young core according to Carmelo ratings 

Post#2 » by burek3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:I still have to complain because the high rank of Doncic has him almost penciled in as a future hall of famer and all time great.

Well... Unless he totally forgets how to play basketball over the span of next 5 years somehow, he has shown all indicators he can be just that.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
djizo
Freshman
And1: 83

Post#3 » by djizo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 am

I know these are projections, but rookies drafted in 2019 should not have been considered. Too much variance.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:54 am

Powell and Kleber both have WARs above Julius Randle. Interesting.
And yes, a lot of that has to do with defense, but maybe Julius should play SF on D and PF on offense. He seems to be better defending the perimeter than he is defending the post.

If he had signed with the Mavs like I wanted him to, then maybe the Mavs could have rolled with a lineup like this.

Delon (assuming the Mavs still get him)
Luka
Julius
KP
Powell/Kleber

On offense, Julius plays the role as a PF that can dribble from the top of the key and/or post-up inside. KP can space the floor and do his thing, and Powell can still rim roll and shoot his jumpers, while Kleber would only be asked to space the floor (maybe he can develop more of an inside game though).

Defensively, you put Julius and Luka on the other team's wings, Delon on point (although he'd have shots at defending the team's best perimeter player), with KP and Powell/Kleber playing the 4 and 5.

Meh, I like the team's current defense better, but man oh man, I really hope someone can surprise me and be the #3 scorer. THJ should come off the bench, and maybe he can fill that role, but I'd like a starter to at least be #4 then. Maybe that guy is Delon.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#5 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:17 pm

burek3 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:I still have to complain because the high rank of Doncic has him almost penciled in as a future hall of famer and all time great.

Well... Unless he totally forgets how to play basketball over the span of next 5 years somehow, he has shown all indicators he can be just that.

My main worry is him being in a car crash. He keeps bloody posting videos while he's behind the wheel :crazy:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#6 » by Archx » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:03 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
burek3 wrote:

My main worry is him being in a car crash. He keeps bloody posting videos while he's behind the wheel :crazy:

:lol: :lol: Check his last two slides, they will probably make you more happy :P
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#7 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Archx wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
burek3 wrote:

:lol: :lol: Check his last two slides, they will probably make you more happy :P

Seriously how nobody at the Mavs has told him yet to keep his bloody hands off the phone while driving. I'm not that interested in the newest in Slovenian folk music :D :o
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#8 » by Archx » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Archx wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:My main worry is him being in a car crash. He keeps bloody posting videos while he's behind the wheel :crazy:

Seriously how nobody at the Mavs has told him yet to keep his bloody hands off the phone while driving. I'm not that interested in the newest in Slovenian folk music :D :o

Haha, well... from what i can tell, he usually films when he is at the traffic stop or driving really slowly. But most of the time he is actually listening to Serbian music :P That's kinda paradox here in our country, we don't like them that much yet a lot of people listen to their music.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:15 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Archx wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:My main worry is him being in a car crash. He keeps bloody posting videos while he's behind the wheel :crazy:

Maybe the Mavs have mentioned it to him and he continues to do it anyway.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#10 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:39 am

native folk music is cool
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:14 am

I wonder if the Mavs target any of these players in trades.

Return to Dallas Mavericks