ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#221 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:47 pm

I think Poirier will more than likely be our 2nd center barring Williams showing good improvements in awareness and maybe even a bit of strength if he's gonna be a 5. Vincent is a standard 5, but pretty decent athletic ability, strong, long and should help us even further on the boards as we've struggled there a lot the last 2-3 years. Kanter and Poirier might solve these problems. Plus Poirier can block shots, so can Kanter and Theis and Williams.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#222 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:34 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
So according to you a proven Euroleague starter = Summer league? Got you. :lol:

I would agree if Poirier was 23 year old back up center in Europe.

Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

The only one with any actual NBA experience is Williams.

Edit: Guys like Wanamaker and Larkin were starters in Europe as well and put up good numbers to boot. They were 15th men in the NBA. They are scrubs. Why is Poirier expected to be any different?

:cut:

::ripple effect::

:::dissolve:::

*homerclease comments about Luka Doncic before the draft*

:fade out:

::the more you know star::

Sorry, what does that have to do with anything again? You’re comparing Doncic to Poirier now?
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#223 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:40 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
As others have noted, Poirier is a bit of an unknown at this point. You mention Wanamaker and Larkin as former Euroleague players who are "scrubs" as if that is all one can expect for a player coming from the Euroleague. There are some very good players playing in the NBA who came from the Euroleage. Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic, Porzingis, Bogdanovic, and more. While the odds are that Poirier is not going to rise to the level of those players, it is not a certainty. We are hopeful that Poirier proves to be a solid contributor, and based on his play in the Euroleague, that is not a farfetched expectation. The jury is still out, but I'm not ready to write him off as a "scrub."

Nobody is saying that no good players have ever come from Europe. There is a staunch difference between the names you mention and role players in their mid 20’s finally coming to the NBA. If anyone is expecting Poirier to rise to the level of a Jokic, Porzingis or even Nurkic then they are only setting themselves up for disappointment. There are plenty of guys who have come from Europe who have put up good stats overseas and then become merely end of the bench guys in the NBA. Guys like Larkin and Wanamaker. We know nothing of Poirier, for all those saying RWIII isn’t ready and can’t do this and can’t do that seem convinced that a guy who’s never played a minute in the NBA can do the things required to stick in the rotation. Once again, I don’t see how he can possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA

There has been a major difference between the success of those drafted from Europe and those coming over mid-career as FAs.

Amazing that this concept is so hard to understand.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,213

Post#224 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:I think Poirier will more than likely be our 2nd center barring Williams showing good improvements in awareness and maybe even a bit of strength if he's gonna be a 5. Vincent is a standard 5, but pretty decent athletic ability, strong, long and should help us even further on the boards as we've struggled there a lot the last 2-3 years. Kanter and Poirier might solve these problems. Plus Poirier can block shots, so can Kanter and Theis and Williams.

I doubt that Poirier jumps over R. Williams at the Center spot, or in playing time in general.
TimeLord has already played in our system, and done quite well. Poirier hasn't even been in the NBA.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#225 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:I think Poirier will more than likely be our 2nd center barring Williams showing good improvements in awareness and maybe even a bit of strength if he's gonna be a 5. Vincent is a standard 5, but pretty decent athletic ability, strong, long and should help us even further on the boards as we've struggled there a lot the last 2-3 years. Kanter and Poirier might solve these problems. Plus Poirier can block shots, so can Kanter and Theis and Williams.

I doubt that Poirier jumps over R. Williams at the Center spot, or in playing time in general.
TimeLord has already played in our system, and done quite well. Poirier hasn't even been in the NBA.

I think a lot of it is the Theis effect. Nobody expected anything from that guy other than to wave a towel at the end of the bench and he wound up being a pretty serviceable role player here. It seems now people are expecting similar impact out of the gate from Poirier, which is certainly possible but he has to earn it first just like everyone else.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#226 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Poirier is stronger, taller and more experienced. I also think for him to come if he really left money on the table, it wasn't to back up Bob Williams.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#227 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:09 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Poirier is stronger, taller and more experienced. I also think for him to come if he really left money on the table, it wasn't to back up Bob Williams.

Brad Wanamaker is stronger, taller and more experienced than Carsen Edwards and left money on the table to come to the NBA, do you think Wanamaker should play over Edwards?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#228 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:09 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

R. Williams was Drafted. Poirier was in the Draft, and went Un-Drafted.
If Poirier was all that good, then he would have already been in the NBA. IJS
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#229 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Homerclease wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I doubt that Poirier jumps over R. Williams at the Center spot, or in playing time in general.

Brad Wanamaker is stronger, taller and more experienced than Carsen Edwards and left money on the table to come to the NBA, do you think Wanamaker should play over Edwards?

I don't think he's taller, not sure about stronger either. :D Carsen has much better feel for the game of basketball, obviously it develops in a different way for players. Plus the best ability in the league- 3 pointers. I don't get your point.

Anyhow we will see, it will be up to Bradley Stevens.
Good assessment:

Homerclease
RealGM

Post#230 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:16 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

I don't think he's taller, not sure about stronger either. :D Carsen has much better feel for the game of basketball, obviously it develops in a different way for players. Plus the best ability in the league- 3 pointers. I don't get your point.

Anyhow we will see, it will be up to Bradley Stevens.

Wanamaker is pushing 6’5” if I remember correctly. Could be wrong.

I was trying to draw a parallel between the two situations. You have two young drafted players, one at the end of the first and one at the top of the second who play the same position as two guys from overseas who left money on the table to come to the NBA. Virtually all of them minus Wanamaker are complete unknowns right now.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#231 » by Half-Full » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Homerclease wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Nobody is saying that no good players have ever come from Europe. There is a staunch difference between the names you mention and role players in their mid 20’s finally coming to the NBA. If anyone is expecting Poirier to rise to the level of a Jokic, Porzingis or even Nurkic then they are only setting themselves up for disappointment. There are plenty of guys who have come from Europe who have put up good stats overseas and then become merely end of the bench guys in the NBA. Guys like Larkin and Wanamaker. We know nothing of Poirier, for all those saying RWIII isn’t ready and can’t do this and can’t do that seem convinced that a guy who’s never played a minute in the NBA can do the things required to stick in the rotation. Once again, I don’t see how he can possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA

There has been a major difference between the success of those drafted from Europe and those coming over mid-career as FAs.

I certainly understand that many of the players coming from the Euroleague, whether drafted or coming over as mid-career free agents, are never going to be the next Giannis or Doncic. That doesn't mean they are only capable of filling a 10-15 end of bench role. Players like Theis, Saric, Satoransky, Markannen, Fournier, Batum, and Bellinelli are not stars, but they are certainly not "scrubs." It may turn out that Poirier proves to be an end of bench player, but isn't it too early to make that judgement? As for whether or not Poirier can "possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA," why not?
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#232 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Homerclease wrote:One had a year to get familiar with the system in Boston and with the coaching staff, the other is a complete unknown.

What Poirier did in Europe means about as much as what Williams did in summer league. Absolutely nothing.

Nope, didn’t say they were equal at all. Just that neither of them mean anything when it comes to the NBA regular season.

Edit: Guys like Wanamaker and Larkin were starters in Europe as well and put up good numbers to boot. They were 15th men in the NBA. They are scrubs. Why is Poirier expected to be any different?

:banghead: :banghead: c'mon dont be that closeminded !
With the time NBA has learned a lot from European bball ! Talents from Pau Dirk TP to Luka and Giannis are there everyyear to show that Europe and the world in general has definitely somethng to offer to the NBA and most likely to the way to play bball in the US!
The NBA is the best League in the world, no debate! But having a 1yr in College + a few SL games means more than 2 years in Euroleague (vs CSKA, Fenerbache, Panatinaikos ...) and competing VS Malaga, Barcelona, Real MAdrid, Vitoria, Valencia during the regular season means more than playing iso players and little college ???
Btw all team listed are at least at the same level as the Knicks, the Suns, the Bulls and the Cavs
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#233 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I doubt that Poirier jumps over R. Williams at the Center spot, or in playing time in general.

No man ! A career cant be decided until you're 21 ! its a long process and some of the players need to create their own path first, looking for who they are and how they want to play and then they can have a chance.
Poirier is 25 yrs old !!!!
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,858

Post#234 » by CelticsPride18 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:46 pm

No way this dude is good. He’s wearing #77.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#235 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:47 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:No way this dude is good. He’s wearing #77.

His department number in France, to represent where he's from ;)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#236 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:20 am

remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

No man ! A career cant be decided until you're 21 ! its a long process and some of the players need to create their own path first, looking for who they are and how they want to play and then they can have a chance.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. When Vincent Poirier was 21, he tried out for the NBA Draft, and didn't get picked.
That's gotta say something.

Robert Williams got picked at #27, and looks to be of Lottery Talent level.
That too has got to say something.

Poirier must be good, to a degree. We wouldn't have brought him over, if he wasn't.
Where he lands on the Depth Chart though, is entirely up to his own play.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,056

Post#237 » by Gant » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:57 am

Parliament10 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:R. Williams was Drafted. Poirier was in the Draft, and went Un-Drafted.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. When Vincent Poirier was 21, he tried out for the NBA Draft, and didn't get picked.
That's gotta say something.

Robert Williams got picked at #27, and looks to be of Lottery Talent level.
That too has got to say something.

Poirier must be good, to a degree. We wouldn't have brought him over, if he wasn't.
Where he lands on the Depth Chart though, is entirely up to his own play.

The missing piece of info there, is Poirier started playing basketball at age 17. That makes not being an NBA prospect at 21 understandable.

Supposedly he made a ton of improvement in the last year or so. I've never seen him play though, so I don't know.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#238 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:44 am

Parliament10 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Everything I read he was late to basketball and a late bloomer. Two years ago he signed with a different team and he really started to develope. The time from prior year and this year was huge I guess in overall basketball play. It does happen, even to US players. I mean Whiteside bounced around overseas and dleague, then had a couple of all star ish years. I mean, he's not really an all star, but I'd take him on the team at the same money as Poirer. Maybe Poirier is the Euro Whiteside?

I mean, I think it's unlikely but Theis was laughed at as the "other" gordon Hayward all offseason till he played and before he got injured, was a + player for us.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#239 » by Homerclease » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 am

Half-Full wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I certainly understand that many of the players coming from the Euroleague, whether drafted or coming over as mid-career free agents, are never going to be the next Giannis or Doncic. That doesn't mean they are only capable of filling a 10-15 end of bench role. Players like Theis, Saric, Satoransky, Markannen, Fournier, Batum, and Bellinelli are not stars, but they are certainly not "scrubs." It may turn out that Poirier proves to be an end of bench player, but isn't it too early to make that judgement? As for whether or not Poirier can "possibly be ahead of someone who not only has been in Boston for a year, but actually has some limited success in the NBA," why not?

Yes it’s far too early to make that judgement.

As to your second question it’s essentially the same as the first, we don’t know.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#240 » by Homerclease » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:45 am

remi_222 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: c'mon dont be that closeminded !
With the time NBA has learned a lot from European bball ! Talents from Pau Dirk TP to Luka and Giannis are there everyyear to show that Europe and the world in general has definitely somethng to offer to the NBA and most likely to the way to play bball in the US!
The NBA is the best League in the world, no debate! But having a 1yr in College + a few SL games means more than 2 years in Euroleague (vs CSKA, Fenerbache, Panatinaikos ...) and competing VS Malaga, Barcelona, Real MAdrid, Vitoria, Valencia during the regular season means more than playing iso players and little college ???
Btw all team listed are at least at the same level as the Knicks, the Suns, the Bulls and the Cavs

Nobody is arguing any of the points you made in your post.

Return to Boston Celtics