2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#521 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 pm

psimanic1 wrote:Don't know about you guys, but I think I would rather have JR Smith from the bench than Barton to be honest...

I've always been a fan of JR Smith's game - not always his attitude on the court and off the court - and certainly not some decisions he's made, but yeah, I'd take him over Barton. He'd fit nicely on this team IMO. But I'd be looking for him to work some SF, gradually yielding minutes to younger players.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#522 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:Don't know about you guys, but I think I would rather have JR Smith from the bench than Barton to be honest...

I've always been a fan of JR Smith's game - not always his attitude on the court and off the court - and certainly not some decisions he's made, but yeah, I'd take him over Barton. He'd fit nicely on this team IMO. But I'd be looking for him to work some SF, gradually yielding minutes to younger players.
JR Smith is better than Barton, but he has the same big problem with low BBIQ, which is an arguably a bigger problem to current Denver offensive system than if he playing in some other random NBA team. Also, JRS can damage Nuggets chemistry.

Out of all former Nuggets, FO should be only focussed on Galo and Iggy, despite they are far expensive than JR or Melo.

With Grant coming, our forward problem is not so desperate anymore. But adding Iguodala or Gallinari would *just* consolidate our contender status. I would send our 2022 first together with Barton and Plumlee for that purpose. And trust me, with several tall or strong forwards (Millsap, Grant, MPJ, JV, Juancho, Galo/Iggy, +Bol) for those minutes with Jokic on the bench we actually don't need another center, our small ball rotation will be very effective.

BTW, it seems Oklahoma changed their plans now, and will play some competitive basketball led by CP3. That probably means Galo is not for sale now, and if our FO was not enough fast week ago we would not get Grant in current circumstances for 2020 first, because OKC would try to reach the playoff with respectable Paul-SGA-Galo-Grant-Adams lineup. :D
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#523 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

JR Smith is better than Barton, but he has the same big problem with low BBIQ, which is an arguably a bigger problem to current Denver offensive system than if he playing in some other random NBA team. Also, JRS can damage Nuggets chemistry.

Out of all former Nuggets, FO should be only focussed on Galo and Iggy, despite they are far expensive than JR or Melo.

I'd suggest the Smith would be better than Iguodala for the Nuggets. It may have been a while back, but many have not forgotten that Iguodala forced his way out of Denver after one year. He was at his peak and we received a 2018 2nd plus 30 yr old Randy Foye (that was his last very good year, although he remained solid). (We also surrendered a 2nd.)
THE J0KER wrote:With Grant coming, our forward problem is not so desperate anymore. But adding Iguodala or Gallinari would *just* consolidate our contender status. I would send our 2022 first together with Barton and Plumlee for that purpose. And trust me, with several tall or strong forwards (Millsap, Grant, MPJ, JV, Juancho, Galo/Iggy, +Bol) for those minutes with Jokic on the bench we actually don't need another center, our small ball rotation will be very effective.

I maintain that we do not need to add any other players.

Gallinari and Iguodala and JR Smith and any other forwards, simply take minutes away from our young forwards, most of whom make more sense to keep and gamble on than to trade for rental players. Young players emphasized:

Millsap + Grant + Vanderbilt (and Bol + Cancar)
Barton + Craig + Hernangomez + Porter
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#524 » by Coeur » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 am

Carmelo. Both sides could come out so good. Carmelo scores a couple thousand more points during garbage time while winning and prob winning a title is his greatest hope. Nugs rebranding him as a Hall if Fame Denver Nugget could be a great thing.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#525 » by TunaFish » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Coeur wrote:Carmelo. Both sides could come out so good. Carmelo scores a couple thousand more points during garbage time while winning and prob winning a title is his greatest hope. Nugs rebranding him as a Hall if Fame Denver Nugget could be a great thing.

If Carmelo could play at a high enough level, he'd be signed already somewhere. He has lost a step and his defense has dropped from poor to piss poor. He is an iso scorer who depends on his team mates to get him shots as opposed to when he was young and could drive by anyone.

Forget Carmelo.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#526 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:56 pm

TunaFish wrote:
Coeur wrote:Carmelo. Both sides could come out so good. Carmelo scores a couple thousand more points during garbage time while winning and prob winning a title is his greatest hope. Nugs rebranding him as a Hall if Fame Denver Nugget could be a great thing.

If Carmelo could play at a high enough level, he'd be signed already somewhere. He has lost a step and his defense has dropped from poor to piss poor. He is an iso scorer who depends on his team mates to get him shots as opposed to when he was young and could drive by anyone.

Forget Carmelo.

Agreed, Melo made his bed, no need to rehash the past. Honestly what he does best goes against everything we’ve built here
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#527 » by psimanic1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:07 pm

If I remember correctly, when we got Andre Iguodala to Denver, there were Olympics? And we traded for him while he was with Team USA...Any players we could aquire while world cup is on? :lol:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#528 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Denver Nuggets offseason recap:
Re-sign Jamal Murray 170/5
Trade 2020 first for Jeramy Grant
Trade future 2nd round for Bol Bol
Activate Paul Millsap team option
Players Relinquished: Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Lydon, Trey Lyles, and Brandon Goodwin

Denver Nuggets offseason grades:
USA Today: A
Bleacher Report: B+
CBS Sports: B
Sporting News: B-
Yahoo! Sports: C+
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#529 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Denver Nuggets offseason recap:
Re-sign Jamal Murray 170/5
Trade 2020 first for Jeramy Grant
Trade future 2nd round for Bol Bol
Activate Paul Millsap team option
Players Relinquished: Isaiah Thomas, Tyler Lydon, Trey Lyles, and Brandon Goodwin

Denver Nuggets offseason grades:
USA Today: A
Bleacher Report: B+
CBS Sports: B
Sporting News: B-
Yahoo! Sports: C+

You missed one: Kept the young core together :nod:
If we leave that one out, I'd give us a C+ or B- mostly based on Grant (with hope on Bol).
Adding in the retention of our core; I'll give us a B+ or A-.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#530 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm

https://www.inquisitr.com/5557806/nba-rumors-bradley-beal-to-nuggets-for-porter-jr-harris-multiple-draft-picks-bleacher-report-suggests/

How much would you pay for Beal? I have said more than once, that he's one of two, maybe three SGs that I'd take above Harris, simply because I love Harris' game with Jokic/Murray. But I think Beal is an even better fit and certainly a better player.

The above article suggest the Nuggets trade "Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., and multiple draft picks".

I hate giving up Porter and think that's too lopsided against Denver, but that trade doesn't work for cap purposes and if you add Barton, it still doesn't work out. The trade is going to have to be Beal + Bertans or Bryant or two players with $7-8m in salary being traded for Harris + Barton and then include Porter to entice Washington. Beal's salary is too high for any straight-up trade and Denver's not trading Jokic and it's doubtful Washington wants Millsap. So we have to look at the above deal.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#531 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:https://www.inquisitr.com/5557806/nba-rumors-bradley-beal-to-nuggets-for-porter-jr-harris-multiple-draft-picks-bleacher-report-suggests/

How much would you pay for Beal? I have said more than once, that he's one of two, maybe three SGs that I'd take above Harris, simply because I love Harris' game with Jokic/Murray. But I think Beal is an even better fit and certainly a better player.

The above article suggest the Nuggets trade "Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., and multiple draft picks".

I hate giving up Porter and think that's too lopsided against Denver, but that trade doesn't work for cap purposes and if you add Barton, it still doesn't work out. The trade is going to have to be Beal + Bertans or Bryant or two players with $7-8m in salary being traded for Harris + Barton and then include Porter to entice Washington. Beal's salary is too high for any straight-up trade and Denver's not trading Jokic and it's doubtful Washington wants Millsap. So we have to look at the above deal.

Maybe this is more than just another rumor, even Forbes has a very detailed article about this possible deal from all aspects: Should The Nuggets Pursue A Bradley Beal Trade If He Rejects The Wizards’ Max Extension Offer?

For me, if Beal wants to stay under max after 2021, this is a no-brainer to sign. I know Beal 25-5-5 numbers from trash team would be translated into something like 20-4-4 in Denver, but the team with two 20-4-4 guards and best league 20-12-8 center would be an ultimate contender not just to have NBA TOP3 regular-season record, but to be the team to beat in playoff too! Especially if manage to have so useful forwards as Millsap and Grant, and 6th man good as Beasley.
SoCalNuggsFan
Senior
And1: 440

Post#532 » by SoCalNuggsFan » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:04 am

NuggetsWY wrote:https://www.inquisitr.com/5557806/nba-rumors-bradley-beal-to-nuggets-for-porter-jr-harris-multiple-draft-picks-bleacher-report-suggests/

I’d give up Gary, Beasley (who I don’t see a way of paying anyway) and MPJ or a 1st for Beal.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#533 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:48 pm

SoCalNuggsFan wrote:

I’d give up Gary, Beasley (who I don’t see a way of paying anyway) and MPJ or a 1st for Beal.

That's a lot to give up for Beal. I'd rather do Harris & Porter + 1st --- I hate even throwing in Porter, but Beal next to Jokic & Murray is too much to pass up. As I've indicated before, Beal's salary is such that almost any deal is going to require Harris & either Plumlee or Barton (I'd prefer Barton). Harris + Barton + 1st? If you add Porter to that, ESPN Trade Machine says "fail".
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#534 » by TGW » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:37 pm

The Wizards would never trade for that junky offer. And that article is pure stupidity. Beal never demanded a trade....he literally just made that up.
skywalker33

Post#535 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:38 pm

TGW wrote:The Wizards would never trade for that junky offer. And that article is pure stupidity. Beal never demanded a trade....he literally just made that up.

Don't think the Nuggets would do that to any of our players, going from a contender to a scrub team like the Wiz would really be disrespectful for help us get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

And are you good friends with Beal to KNOW that he didn't request a trade ??? Yeah, right !!

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#536 » by THE J0KER » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:03 pm

TGW wrote:The Wizards would never trade for that junky offer. And that article is pure stupidity. Beal never demanded a trade....he literally just made that up.
Harris+Porter+1st's are not a junky offer for 2 seasons guaranteed of Beal, but considering Beal is right now best player open for the trades on the table, no surprise if some other team offers more, especially those from the big market which chances to re-sign a new contract with Beal are higher.

Beal never demands a trade from Wizards, but the fact is that there is big silence since last Friday when Wizards offer him a new contract, and he also suddenly withdraws from USA national team last week which have no sense if his plan is to stay in (lottery team) Washington.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#537 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:30 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Harris+Porter+1st's are not a junky offer for 2 seasons guaranteed of Beal, but considering Beal is right now best player open for the trades on the table, no surprise if some other team offers more, especially those from the big market which chances to re-sign a new contract with Beal are higher.

Beal never demands a trade from Wizards, but the fact is that there is big silence since last Friday when Wizards offer him a new contract, and he also suddenly withdraws from USA national team last week which have no sense if his plan is to stay in (lottery team) Washington.

and as I've said, that offer won't do it for cap reasons --- so as THE Joker says, "no surprise if some other team offers more"
skywalker33

Post#538 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:01 am

Listening to an Adam Mares "Locked on Nuggets" podcast, he brought up an interesting pairing for the future: Bol Bol and Jarred Vanderbilt. When I think about each players skillset, it seem very interesting....provided they can meet & reach their potential and health !!

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#539 » by THE J0KER » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:47 am

Question of the Week: Who will be the third scorer in 2019-20 behind Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray?

Interesting poll results (over 700 DEN fans vote) of this question. Not surprised Harris won, but I didn't expect an overwhelming 60% win, with Millsap takes only 2% of votes. I voted for Grant, despite I know Harris have the best chances. Good season from Grant or Porter (or both) would be the best thing for Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#540 » by Coeur » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:31 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Question of the Week: Who will be the third scorer in 2019-20 behind Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray?

Interesting poll results (over 700 DEN fans vote) of this question. Not surprised Harris won, but I didn't expect an overwhelming 60% win, with Millsap takes only 2% of votes. I voted for Grant, despite I know Harris have the best chances. Good season from Grant or Porter (or both) would be the best thing for Denver.

This sure shows the reality. Gary Harris is the third scorer. Not having a 3rd scorer was the weakness in the playoffs.

Obviously Malik Beasley needs more minutes but he’s prob the 3rd best offensive player.

Return to Denver Nuggets