[SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

[SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun 

Post#1 » by zshawn10 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:32 pm

Sorry for the long read but these were the more important parts of the article

Cleveland wasn’t that home. The pressures of annually supplementing LeBron James with a contending roster mounted endlessly. “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun. I was miserable,” Griffin says. “Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

As champagne popped in the Cavs’ locker room, Griffin privately wept in an Oakland broom closet. A one-track mind had removed anything but delivering the city’s first championship in 52 years from consciousness. “I didn’t watch the league, and I didn’t love the game anymore,” Griffin says. “I was so fixated on outcome that I just totally lost my joy.” His NBA TV sidestep proved therapeutic. He rediscovered his passion for the game. An appetite to steer a franchise returned, the lingering bad taste from Cleveland crystalizing Griffin’s ideal next destination. “I was kind of chomping at the bit to do it right,” he says.

He was elevated to GM in February 2014, although everything pivoted once LeBron James decided to rejoin the Cavs that July. Griffin celebrated at first, then collapsed on his office floor in tears after James’ letter ran on SI.com, overwhelmed by the sudden pressure to deliver The King’s coveted ring. Noise around a superteam is deafening. It can cause combustible conditions. “The reason is LeBron is getting all the credit and none of the blame. And that’s not fun for people,” Griffin says. “They don’t like being part of that world.”

James’ string of one-year contracts held the franchise captive. Anything short of a championship was unsatisfactory. To chase those aspirations, Cleveland refurbished its bench with champions like Kendrick Perkins and Mike Miller, rather than replenishing its roster with hungry veterans still hankering for that first taste of a deep postseason run. Maneuvering the league’s most expensive cap sheet was nothing short of daunting. Gilbert loomed. Griffin’s misery creeped on top of the stress. “We won despite our culture to a huge degree. And I knew it. I knew what we weren’t doing,” he says. “There were so many things during that period of time that I wanted to do differently. If you make everything about, ‘It’s a destination. Damn the torpedos, I gotta get there,’ that might be the only time you get there.”

They of course found vindication in 2016, historically overcoming a 3-1 series deficit against the 73-9 Golden State Warriors in the NBA Finals. The following season, however, brought that fantasy summer crashing back to reality. James’ contagious hunger to deliver a championship for Northeast Ohio dissipated. “There wasn’t a lot else for him,” Griffin says. “I don’t think he’s the same animal anymore about winning.” Many in the NBA now suggest James harbors two priorities: enduring to team with his eldest son, Bronny, and one day owning a franchise.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/08/01/david-griffin-pelicans-rebuild-zion-williamson-anthony-davis-trade-lebron-james-cavaliers
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#2 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, there is a lot there, not the least of which is that David Griffin is apparently a sobbing little beta wimp. But still. Story straddles the line between being insightful and intentionally provocative.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#3 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:37 pm

David Griffin last month: I gave Jrue Holiday permission to dominate. He is a good GM, but a weird dude overall.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#4 » by magicman1978 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:39 pm

Geez, how many times did he end up crying because he got more pressure to do a good job. Not sure why he's making these comments now. It's obviously gonna bring unnecessary criticism to him and his team.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#5 » by Dupp » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:39 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Well, there is a lot there, not the least of which is that David Griffin is apparently a sobbing little beta wimp. But still. Story straddles the line between being insightful and intentionally provocative.

Tough guy itt
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#6 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:39 pm

So what franchise is Lebron going to initially become a part owner of? I'm guessing it's the Lakers.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#7 » by taikibansei » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:40 pm

Basically, what I got from that, "Oh woe is me, we won an NBA championship and I privately wept in an Oakland broom closet...."

And here I thought I needed counselling.... :o
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 10,951

Post#8 » by SerialChiller » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:41 pm

If you fall to your knees crying as a GM because your team lands Lebron James and there is pressure to win, you probably aren't in the right profession.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:42 pm

LofJ wrote:So what franchise is Lebron going to initially become a part owner of? I'm guessing it's the Lakers.

he aint got that kinda money, at least not if he wants a real stake
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,756

Post#10 » by KingDavid » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:44 pm

Dupp wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:Well, there is a lot there, not the least of which is that David Griffin is apparently a sobbing little beta wimp. But still. Story straddles the line between being insightful and intentionally provocative.

Tough guy itt

That **** made me cringe. On some red pill **** lmao
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#11 » by donnieme » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:45 pm

He's going to be sobbing when this rushed rebuild leads to him losing Zion and the crucifixion he'll receive from fans and media

On topic LeBron could do with some self awareness as to how his presence strains those around him but he isn't exactly the one telling the media to give himself all the credit and none to his team
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:46 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:David Griffin last month: I gave Jrue Holiday permission to dominate. He is a good GM, but a weird dude overall.

It’s not weird, it’s smart. Holiday is probably their best player and one of the top 30 players in the league. Plus it takes all the pressure off Zion trying to dominate out of the gate.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,756

Post#13 » by KingDavid » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:47 pm

I will say LeBron is lucky the game is so easy for him. I wouldn't doubt that pressure was mounting for him before he came to Miami. A lot of people would be crushed under those expectations. Seems like Griffin faltered a bit into that pressure, but pulled through anyway.

Good luck in new Orleans.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,414

Post#14 » by OfficialRef » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:49 pm

and i thought players were annoying enough. Why does this guy keep talking?
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#15 » by dacrusha » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:49 pm

David Griffin, like Jeremy Lin and half the Raptors board right now, are crybabies and will never be happy even though they achieved the ultimate goal in winning a championship.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Post#16 » by igorbianch » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:51 pm

What a loser.

I actually liked him but this article raises huge red flags about him.
:lol:
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#17 » by Dominator83 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:55 pm

Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,033

Post#18 » by LuDux1 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:56 pm

As a man with big.. anyway, I never cried, so this makes me sick
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#19 » by nymets1 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:57 pm

When he said it was miserable with working with Lebron. That made me mad. Cleveland Cavaliers have always been trash before Lebron started his rookie year there and both times after he left. Lebron's cavalier teams were always a true contender every year Lebron was there and in 2016 they won the NBA finals.

Makes me so mad that someone would take a shot during Lebron's era in Cleveland, the only period the Cavaliers have been a contender and I'm not a Cavs fan.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Fable
Junior
And1: 307

Post#20 » by Fable » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:58 pm

How awful that Lebron won a ring for Cleveland and Griffin. No doubt being forced by Lebron to give stupidly bad contracts to Tristan Thompson and JR Smith can be infuriating, but it still paid off somewhat. Even if it saddled the Cavs with untradeable contracts. I don't understand whining, now he has a chance to prove he's such a great GM without Lebron.

Return to The General Board