Image ImageImage Image

Anthony Davis: Chicago’s The Mecca Of Bball, Would Consider Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,004

Re: Anthony Davis: Chicago’s The Mecca Of Bball, Would Consider Bulls 

Post#121 » by Peelboy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:I will forever maintain the opinion that if a competent front office had been put in place and traded for him this summer and signed another FA like Kemba or something, that it would have done pretty well in this garbage conference and would have been enough to have Davis pull a Paul George (the OKC part, not the LA part).

He left a team with Jrue and Zion. He refused to go to a team with Kyrie. But he was going to stick around with Kemba and the remains after dealing most of the other talent to the Pels? :crazy: And the Bulls should have bet their future on that? :noway:

Believe what you want, but clearly it begins and ends with your views on "competent front office." Might as well have just said "I believe if the Bulls had replaced GarPax.....Rings."
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#122 » by FriedRise » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#123 » by sogood » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:43 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Says the guy who was 99.9% sure that Kawhi going back to the Raps.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#124 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm

I said when that information 1st got out that it might be davis planning on plan b just in case the lakers fall apart and davis becomes the media whipping boy for not being more help for lebron. Also won't be a lot of quality markets who will have max cap space next summer since so many teams spent their money this summer. So why not plant some seeds early so the bulls can begin to maneuver to clear the space to add him and possibly another piece. Same way kawhi planted the seed he wanted to go home a year and a half ago and now he with the clippers but him planting the seed allowed the clippers to clear space make trades and not sign anyone for major dollars in order to get kawhi there.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#125 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:57 pm

sogood wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think the point was a prediction by Jalen rose. I think the point was what I agree with. Players are planning they moves ahead of time and the comments by davis might have been davis talking through the media to give the bulls a heads up to start getting the space and roster together in case he comes here. Sure could have been a pr comment, but he also could have just said he is looking forward to a long career with the Lakers. I think davis realize this thing could go south and then all the major news outlets will be tearing davis up for not giving lebron more help. Nothing is coincidental
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#126 » by bad knees » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Well, if OPJ opts out of his contract next summer, and the Bulls renounce him and the other players that would otherwise have cap holds (Dunn, Valentine, Blakeney), the Bulls would have enough cap space to sign AD to his max FA salary, which would start at $35.1 M per year. The Bulls would have about $36 M in cap space available, even assuming that they add a 1st round pick with a cap hold of $3 M.

If OPJ does not opt out, then it will be a challenge to open $35.1 M in cap space. The Bulls would have to trade away more than $25 M in salaries. Could be done, but would take some work.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#127 » by madvillian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:51 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:
sogood wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think the point was a prediction by Jalen rose. I think the point was what I agree with. Players are planning they moves ahead of time and the comments by davis might have been davis talking through the media to give the bulls a heads up to start getting the space and roster together in case he comes here. Sure could have been a pr comment, but he also could have just said he is looking forward to a long career with the Lakers. I think davis realize this thing could go south and then all the major news outlets will be tearing davis up for not giving lebron more help. Nothing is coincidental

I think if you put two and two together and take mildly optimistic view on Rose's and Davis' comments you can see a path to Davis in Chicago. If the Bulls can put a competitive team around, sell him on a pitch, and the Lakers are faltering -- it could happen.

Rose has a pretty good handle on the league as whole I'd imagine. Doesn't have real sources like Woj for deals but he can usually tell which way the wind is blowing, I don't hold the Kawhi prediction against him much, that's sorta outside his lane.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#128 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Peelboy wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:I will forever maintain the opinion that if a competent front office had been put in place and traded for him this summer and signed another FA like Kemba or something, that it would have done pretty well in this garbage conference and would have been enough to have Davis pull a Paul George (the OKC part, not the LA part).

He left a team with Jrue and Zion. He refused to go to a team with Kyrie. But he was going to stick around with Kemba and the remains after dealing most of the other talent to the Pels? :crazy: And the Bulls should have bet their future on that? :noway:

Believe what you want, but clearly it begins and ends with your views on "competent front office." Might as well have just said "I believe if the Bulls had replaced GarPax.....Rings."

I mean, if believing that the only team in the third biggest market with an iconic brand and six titles should be run like a proper big market, marquee franchise rather than the Orlando Magic or something makes me crazy, sure I guess.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#129 » by keloms » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:22 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

....when he's 35 and looking for a last big pay day.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#130 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:33 pm

madvillian wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:
sogood wrote:

I think if you put two and two together and take mildly optimistic view on Rose's and Davis' comments you can see a path to Davis in Chicago. If the Bulls can put a competitive team around, sell him on a pitch, and the Lakers are faltering -- it could happen.

Rose has a pretty good handle on the league as whole I'd imagine. Doesn't have real sources like Woj for deals but he can usually tell which way the wind is blowing, I don't hold the Kawhi prediction against him much, that's sorta outside his lane.

Jalen is paid to flap his gums. He can really say anything he wants because the news cycle will be long gone if and when this actually matters. Like the Kawhi thing he needs something to talk about or he isn’t doing his job. Plain and simple really. As of today does anyone believe that AD has any plans for the Bulls? No. In a year if LA crash and burns? Maybe then but you are 11 months away from that
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#131 » by mtron32 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:35 am

madvillian wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:
sogood wrote:

I can see that, I just didn't care fore the Bulls sending away their core just for the Brow. It very well may blow up in LA, time will tell.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#132 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:47 am

mtron32 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:I don't think the point was a prediction by Jalen rose. I think the point was what I agree with. Players are planning they moves ahead of time and the comments by davis might have been davis talking through the media to give the bulls a heads up to start getting the space and roster together in case he comes here. Sure could have been a pr comment, but he also could have just said he is looking forward to a long career with the Lakers. I think davis realize this thing could go south and then all the major news outlets will be tearing davis up for not giving lebron more help. Nothing is coincidental

I can see that, I just didn't care fore the Bulls sending away their core just for the Brow. It very well may blow up in LA, time will tell.

Lakers got outworked at every corner. LeBron and AD are still silly good but the West is too deep. AD is concerned about Legacy and wants rings. I don’t think the Lakers can pull it off. I am not sure they can make the WCF honestly. I think AD moves, have no opinion yet on where but I just don’t see him a Laker long term.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#133 » by StunnerKO » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Air Poohdini
Assistant Coach
And1: 328

Post#134 » by Air Poohdini » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:44 pm

Cut your unibrow, onward and upward.
If Dennis Rodman drove a truck, he'd give all the refs a ride!
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#135 » by PaKii94 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:52 pm

Man all this Chicago hype coming from his side.... It's starting to seem to me that Lakers could be a pit stop if they don't get there title this year.

Conspiracy theorist in me thinks AD didn't have bulls as a trade destination cause it would have gutted the team of talent. If our current talent develops as expected, he can easily slide in this year or next
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#136 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:13 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Man all this Chicago hype coming from his side.... It's starting to seem to me that Lakers could be a pit stop if they don't get there title this year.

Conspiracy theorist in me thinks AD didn't have bulls as a trade destination cause it would have gutted the team of talent. If our current talent develops as expected, he can easily slide in this year or next

Part one is a yes the Lakers very well could end up a pit stop. Part 2 zero percent chance this organization has deal cut with Davis. First off no way they could pull it off. Secondly Rich Paul is not letting that happen.

Now when the Lakers likely fall apart and if the Bulls improve (2 things that realistically could happen) we might be on the list the next time. On the list only.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#137 » by PaKii94 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:16 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Man all this Chicago hype coming from his side.... It's starting to seem to me that Lakers could be a pit stop if they don't get there title this year.

Part one is a yes the Lakers very well could end up a pit stop. Part 2 zero percent chance this organization has deal cut with Davis. First off no way they could pull it off. Secondly Rich Paul is not letting that happen.

Now when the Lakers likely fall apart and if the Bulls improve (2 things that realistically could happen) we might be on the list the next time. On the list only.

Not saying the FO has a backdoor deal. But AD continues to rep Chicago hard and if they are a good up and coming team next year (like nets/clips this year) then I feel like he'll strongly consider the bulls. Key thing is Lauri and Lavine have to get into the all-star game this year and start planting the seeds during that weekend with AD
Peelboy
Starter

Post#138 » by Peelboy » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:42 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
Peelboy wrote:

I mean, if believing that the only team in the third biggest market with an iconic brand and six titles should be run like a proper big market, marquee franchise rather than the Orlando Magic or something makes me crazy, sure I guess.

Hey, believe what you want about GarPax, but your "belief" is pretty clearly "Step 1: Fire GarPax. Step 2:.... Step 3: Profit."

There's little to no reason that had the Bulls traded for him (and given the Lakers deal, it would have taken what - Lauri, Carter, Lavine?) he would have stayed here based on the alternatives he explicitly shunned. That's got nothing to do with whether GarPax does a bad job or a great job. It's just a made up scenario/strawman.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#139 » by DanTown8587 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:50 pm

There are two moves that forever changed the fortunes of this franchise for the worst

- The first was hard lining Jimmy so long on a deal at 4/48. If the Bulls (who at the same time should have known that with the drastic increase in TV money from ESPN any deal signed later that fall was going to turn any contract into a bargain) stupidly fought Jimmy on the deal to the point that he was able to sign for nearly double (5/95) and with an out after 4 meaning the Bulls cost themselves about, oh, 35 million dollars in free contract value. For nothing. But the real issue with that deal was that if he signs the extension, Jimmy's cap hold this summer would have been in the 20-23 million range but he could have signed for at least 10-15 million more than that. If you have Jimmy at Otto Porter's cap hold, you can go into FA and attract a star + another really good player and still not overly cap yourself.

- The second was the MCW/Snell/Dinwiddie debacle. Some will say ''THIS MOVE?" is franchise changing and unfortunately the answer is yes. If the Bulls had decided that Dinwiddie and Snell was better than MCW and RJ Hunter, they would have had Dinwiddie here for a fairly cheap deal. But the main thing would have been if nothing else changes that year, does Dinwiddie provide enough value that if the Bulls are up 2-0 and Rondo still breaks his thumb, can the Bulls close the series with Dinwiddie instead of Grant/MCW/Canann? Let's say they can and now, you have Butler as the best player on a 8 seed that just beat the #1 seed AFTER Rondo got hurt and you have no major money. It's the summer of 2017, now all of the sudden you're the premier FA destination because you're good, you have a ton of cap space, and the team is on the rise.

It's two moves, both at the time completely indefensible, that cost the team a chance at truly being something special. The Bulls and Warriors faced very similar situations with Butler and Curry after three years in the league: do you give them 4 years at a slightly above what they are worth price because of either being slightly not good enough (Butler's case) or in Curry's, injury risk? The Bulls said no, made Butler play it out, and was the beginning of the end of Jimmy in Chicago. In Golden State, all Curry did after signing that deal was make the all-star each year of the four years of the extension (was probably robbed in year 4), win two MVP (one unanimous), led a team to 73 wins, and won 2 titles and lost another in game 7.

None of that is possible if the Warriors tell Curry to play another year and have to max him to a deal in the summer of 2013. So yeah, sometimes it is just one contract or move that changes the entire complexion of a team's history.
Peelboy
Starter

Post#140 » by Peelboy » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:05 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:

There are two moves that forever changed the fortunes of this franchise for the worst

- The first was hard lining Jimmy so long on a deal at 4/48. If the Bulls (who at the same time should have known that with the drastic increase in TV money from ESPN any deal signed later that fall was going to turn any contract into a bargain) stupidly fought Jimmy on the deal to the point that he was able to sign for nearly double (5/95) and with an out after 4 meaning the Bulls cost themselves about, oh, 35 million dollars in free contract value. For nothing. But the real issue with that deal was that if he signs the extension, Jimmy's cap hold this summer would have been in the 20-23 million range but he could have signed for at least 10-15 million more than that. If you have Jimmy at Otto Porter's cap hold, you can go into FA and attract a star + another really good player and still not overly cap yourself.

- The second was the MCW/Snell/Dinwiddie debacle. Some will say ''THIS MOVE?" is franchise changing and unfortunately the answer is yes. If the Bulls had decided that Dinwiddie and Snell was better than MCW and RJ Hunter, they would have had Dinwiddie here for a fairly cheap deal. But the main thing would have been if nothing else changes that year, does Dinwiddie provide enough value that if the Bulls are up 2-0 and Rondo still breaks his thumb, can the Bulls close the series with Dinwiddie instead of Grant/MCW/Canann? Let's say they can and now, you have Butler as the best player on a 8 seed that just beat the #1 seed AFTER Rondo got hurt and you have no major money. It's the summer of 2017, now all of the sudden you're the premier FA destination because you're good, you have a ton of cap space, and the team is on the rise.

It's two moves, both at the time completely indefensible, that cost the team a chance at truly being something special. The Bulls and Warriors faced very similar situations with Butler and Curry after three years in the league: do you give them 4 years at a slightly above what they are worth price because of either being slightly not good enough (Butler's case) or in Curry's, injury risk? The Bulls said no, made Butler play it out, and was the beginning of the end of Jimmy in Chicago. In Golden State, all Curry did after signing that deal was make the all-star each year of the four years of the extension (was probably robbed in year 4), win two MVP (one unanimous), led a team to 73 wins, and won 2 titles and lost another in game 7.

None of that is possible if the Warriors tell Curry to play another year and have to max him to a deal in the summer of 2013. So yeah, sometimes it is just one contract or move that changes the entire complexion of a team's history.

After his 3d year (which was when this was in play IIRC, a year before he signed the bigger contract), he had averaged 13/5/2.6 on 46% shooting (28% from 3). The next year he jumped to 20/6/3.3 on 38% shooting (38% from 3). That $12M deal was $19% of the cap. Put it this way - if the Bulls signed someone like Bobby Portis* (14/8/1.4 shooting 49% and 39% from 3) to a contract averaging $21M, people would riot in the streets. So unless there was reason to think Jimmy was about to take that leap, I find it hard to call that "completely indefensible." IMO there are good arguments both ways. Particularly since either way the Bulls were sure they would be able to retain the player.

*No, I'm not equating Jimmy to Bobby, pick your 3d year player with similar performance. Bobby was just one of the first names I came up with and then surprisingly his stats were similar. But even being better than Bobby, the point still holds.

Return to Chicago Bulls