More Trade Value: Karl-Anthony Towns or Devin Booker

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who?

Devin Booker
9%
Karl-Anthony Towns
91%

Total votes: 173

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Re: More Trade Value: Karl-Anthony Towns or Devin Booker 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:18 pm

Crives wrote:
KAT4PREZ wrote:Does booker have positive trade value?

No. He is obviously trash
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Ironically Towns was arguably better than both post-allstar.

28.1/13.4/3.8, 63.5 TS%, 20.2 AST%. 33.0 USG%, 118 Ortg (Booker 113 Ortg)

It is laughable that people dont think Booker has value but I don't think he is in the same tier as someone like Towns or Zion for example.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#22 » by Crives » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:32 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Crives wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

It is laughable that people dont think Booker has value but I don't think he is in the same tier as someone like Towns or Zion for example.

Zion is in no nba tier yet. He has yet to play a game.
DB43
Junior
And1: 195

Post#23 » by DB43 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:49 pm

Man the Booker hate/slander on this board is unreal. Its just proof no one watches suns games. I can't blame you. They've been terrible. But Devin Booker is incredible, and will be a top 10 20 playing in the NBA very soon, if not next season.
DB43
Junior

Post#24 » by DB43 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:51 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:Huh. Maybe I overrate Booker or underrate KAT. I personally found this fairly close.

They are fairly close. You are not wrong at all.

KAT is one of very few All star caliber Centers in the NBA

Booker is one of MANY all star caliber Guards in the NBA, especailly the West. His time will come, when he's not surrounded by D leauge talent.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#25 » by jscott » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:55 pm

Towns. Not even close imo.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,407

Post#26 » by shrink » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:52 pm

DB43 wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:Huh. Maybe I overrate Booker or underrate KAT. I personally found this fairly close.

Booker is one of MANY all star caliber Guards in the NBA, especailly the West. His time will come, when he's not surrounded by D leauge talent.

Change your criteria from “All Star” to “All NBA,” a much more elevated level to reach, and you will see why the results of this poll are not “slandering” Booker.

EDIT: I just saw Booker hasn’t even made an All Star team, let alone All NBA?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#27 » by BleedGreen1989 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:54 pm

DB43 wrote:Man the Booker hate/slander on this board is unreal. Its just proof no one watches suns games. I can't blame you. They've been terrible. But Devin Booker is incredible, and will be a top 10 20 playing in the NBA very soon, if not next season.

I’m honestly rather baffled by it.

Booker is incredibly talented.
DB43
Junior

Post#28 » by DB43 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:24 pm

shrink wrote:
DB43 wrote:

Change your criteria from “All Star” to “All NBA,” a much more elevated level to reach, and you will see why the results of this poll are not “slandering” Booker.

The fact that you don’t even know that he hasn’t made an all star game is proof of what I’m saying. You’re not paying attention to Devin Booker.

KAT is amazing. I agree he holds more trade value than Booker. Because he’s a center! But the gap isn’t that big. There are maybe 5 centers that are all star talent in the entire NBA. All nba talent. There are 20-30 guards that you could make a case for as all star caliber talent. That’s my point.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#29 » by Colbinii » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:39 pm

Crives wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Zion is in no nba tier yet. He has yet to play a game.

Sorry if it wasnt clear but that was referring to trade value
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#30 » by skones » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:16 pm

DB43 wrote:
shrink wrote:
DB43 wrote:

The fact that you don’t even know that he hasn’t made an all star game is proof of what I’m saying. You’re not paying attention to Devin Booker.

KAT is amazing. I agree he holds more trade value than Booker. Because he’s a center! But the gap isn’t that big. There are maybe 5 centers that are all star talent in the entire NBA. All nba talent. There are 20-30 guards that you could make a case for as all star caliber talent. That’s my point.

Acknowledging there is a big gap in value between the two is not slander to Devin Booker. Towns is just a far better player at this point. It doesn't mean that Booker himself doesn't hold quite a bit of value.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,934

Post#31 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:25 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
DB43 wrote:Man the Booker hate/slander on this board is unreal. Its just proof no one watches suns games. I can't blame you. They've been terrible. But Devin Booker is incredible, and will be a top 10 20 playing in the NBA very soon, if not next season.

Looking at their stats the only thing Booker really beats KAT in is assists. KAT shoots better, has a lower TO%, and beats Booker healthy in the majority of the advanced stats.

I honestly don't see the confusion. It's not hate, it's more like comparing Lou Will to Dame Lillard. KAT is just on an entirely different level.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,497

Post#32 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:51 am

I have KAT as significantly ahead of Booker. That is in no way saying Booker is bad. Booker definitely has positive value and took a significant step forward last year, especially at getting to the rim and finishing. His 3pt percentage dipped, but I expect him to be back to 36%+ this year. If they were both being traded the value they returned might end up being a lot closer then some of us think.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#33 » by andyhop » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:23 am

giberish wrote:
andyhop wrote:

The only thing going in favour of your opinion is that trade value doesn't always follow on court value

Both players are the same age with the same contracts and good health. So for this case trade value and on-court value are strongly related, unless there's a reason to believe they'll have significantly different aging.

My point was that teams routinely value players completely different than any objective measure of their on court production would have you believe.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DB43
Junior

Post#34 » by DB43 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:48 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
BleedGreen1989 wrote:

Looking at their stats the only thing Booker really beats KAT in is assists. KAT shoots better, has a lower TO%, and beats Booker healthy in the majority of the advanced stats.

I honestly don't see the confusion. It's not hate, it's more like comparing Lou Will to Dame Lillard. KAT is just on an entirely different level.

I wonder why KAT has lower tune over %.... come on man! Book is the main ball handler. Basically played point in 75% of the games. The James Harden role.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#35 » by Woody Allen » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:56 pm

I have KAT in top 10 and Booker isn't in top 20.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:08 pm

Offensively? Absolutely. He's dynamic. Defensively? Well, that's why he's not a top 10-20 player in the NBA right now. But also, it's only been 2 people "slandering" Booker. Otherwise, the universal link has been people saying that Booker is really, really, really good, but KAT is just better and has more trade value. That's not at all slander, unless you demand that everyone name Booker as a top 5-10 player in the NBA RIGHT NOW, and that's just not reality.

It's like comparing Clyde Drexler and Michael Jordan in their primes. Drexler was a damned good player, a Hall of Famer, 5 time All NBA player and 10 time All Star. He just also didn't have as much on court or trade value as Michael Jordan. Is that slander on Drexler? NO! Just calling it as it was.

Could the situation change in the future? Absolutely! But at this point, it's just reality.
Rubio9Guy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,290

Post#37 » by Rubio9Guy » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:17 pm

You mean one of the most versatile offensive bigs in history vs. a nice 2 guard?

Come on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using RealGM mobile app
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#38 » by drosereturn » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:24 pm

Woah. Calm down. One is a huge negative asset and the other is a borderline top 10 player slightly below AD.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,962

Post#39 » by wolves_89 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm not sure how this is even a question. Looking at the numbers from last season:

Towns/Booker
WS: 10.4/2.9
BPM: 6.8/0.8
PER: 26.3/20.2
TS%: .622/.584
RPM: 3.86/0.58
RPM wins: 11.37/5.18

In career WS Towns has a 45.4 to 9.8 advantage over Booker.

The two really aren't on the same tier in terms of their impact.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#40 » by Woody Allen » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:36 pm

Crives wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

How many games did Booker win post break? 5?

When you're on a team like that defenses don't take you seriously or play with any kind of intensity. It's a lot easier to stuff the stat sheet in a game that is played like practice. Hence comparing Harden and Booker is ridiculous. Houston was a top 5 team, Phoenix was the worst.

And yes, the fact that Phoenix can't get off the bottom of the league speaks a lot about how great Booker is.

Return to Trades and Transactions