ImageImageImageImageImage

Around The NBA X

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,273

Re: Worried about the Clippers? 

Post#1661 » by shi-woo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Why worry about any team that isn't yours?

But I'm excited, and hope for a match-up of LA teams in the PO. They will dominate the perimeter while you guys will dominate the paint.

What it comes down to for me, as it usually does, is which role players bring the fight. Beverly and Trez I think are those guys, and Green and Bradley can do it too.

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#1662 » by ShowtimeFan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:57 pm

shi-woo wrote:Why worry about any team that isn't yours?

"Well, if you don't keep score Ty, how do you measure yourself against the other golfers?"

(lol)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,662

Post#1663 » by dockingsched » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Sounds like the Clippers are living rent free in OP’s head.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Around The NBA X 

Post#1664 » by Kilroy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 pm

All in all, a thread like that is not a good look for us right now given the state of both franchises... And it was mostly light ribbing of OP anyway... So, let's just keep Clippers talk buried in the Around the NBA thread.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

Post#1665 » by stan francisco » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:07 pm

They have nobody to put up against AD. He’ll put up 45-12-5 against them. Their bigs will be in FT. Kawhi and LeBron will be closer to a tie in individual meetings. Kuzma will score as much as PG. they have no way to stop Cousins.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1666 » by Kilroy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:18 pm

The clips are super thin inside and Beverley's impact will be diminished by playing next to Kawhi/PG... He was one of their biggest impact players last year... Lou Will will still be a factor for them, but AD/LeBron is a better duo in just about every area except perimeter D...
I think the Clips are going to dominate small ball teams... They're going to be a nightmare for GSW this season... But they're going to struggle against big teams... And we're going to be the best Big team in the West this season.
They also have no assets... So they're not going to be legit players at the deadline, and I think they're going to discover they have some big holes to address.
Zu's conditioning is going to be a huge tell for them... If he takes half the season to work himself back into shape again, it's going to hurt them.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#1667 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 am

Lou is gonna get his. I’d stick THT on him, and Caroline, try to bother him with length and young fresh rookie legs. After Caruso and Bradley have too many fouls.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#1668 » by Ball so hard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:31 pm

Landsberger wrote:That team got to 48 wins by being a group of equals more or less. In fact when they moved Harris they began to play better. That roster excelled in true team ball. Now they have 2 guys who are stars and will devour the bulk of the touches and opportunities. I'm not in the camp that this is purely "additive" to the existing group. Will they be better? Probably but they could be marginally better. I like Leonard but this Clipper team isn't as deep or talented IMHO as the Toronto team he just left. I've always considered PG as a guy who gets his numbers but for some reason seems to not have the impact his numbers would suggest on his teams. They will need to learn how to play together and adjust to the changes just like us. We could both be pushing for the top spot come April or be fighting for seeding.... health and coaching will be the key for them and us....and everyone else for that matter.

One thing we have going for us is that the consensus is the Clippers will be great..... that's the kiss of death typically.

Good post and well said.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#1669 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Clippers lack big men and playmakers. They are all wings. This team will rely a lot on the system and the coaching to be truly great. Is Doc that level of coach?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1670 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Clippers lack big men and playmakers. They are all wings. This team will rely a lot on the system and the coaching to be truly great. Is Doc that level of coach?

Doc teaches 'scrappy'... He's successful when he has a good group of talent that he can instill an 'underdog' mentality in, and get them fighting 'uphill' at least in their heads... On paper, that would be good at building chemistry...

But whatever Doc is, Pop is x1000... And Kawhi tuned Pop's ass out... So I'm not even sure Kawhi is coachable at this point. A case could be made that Kawhi is the biggest prima-donna in the league right now... Doc's going to have his work cut out just keeping the honeymoon going between his 2 stars.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#1671 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Kilroy wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Clippers lack big men and playmakers. They are all wings. This team will rely a lot on the system and the coaching to be truly great. Is Doc that level of coach?

Doc teaches 'scrappy'... He's successful when he has a good group of talent that he can instill an 'underdog' mentality in, and get them fighting 'uphill' at least in their heads... On paper, that would be good at building chemistry...

But whatever Doc is, Pop is x1000... And Kawhi tuned Pop's ass out... So I'm not even sure Kawhi is coachable at this point. A case could be made that Kawhi is the biggest prima-donna in the league right now... Doc's going to have his work cut out just keeping the honeymoon going between his 2 stars.

Yeah I can see the team struggle to come to terms with Kawhi's rest. Or Kawhi and PG-13 don't rest and get injured. I think they have a lot to work out but so do the Lakers.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1672 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:51 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Yeah I can see the team struggle to come to terms with Kawhi's rest. Or Kawhi and PG-13 don't rest and get injured. I think they have a lot to work out but so do the Lakers.

Yes, but the Lakers big 2 fit naturally in a lineup... There's no question of what each is going to do. And our extra pieces fit nicely too, with the possible exception of Kuz... Just because he left last season assuming he'd start and now has to fight for a spot in the SL against the likes of Danny Green.
So yes, we'll have some schemes to figure out, and we'll have to figure out how to play Team D... But we won't have to figure out how to make our 2 main guys function together efficiently on the court... That's going to be a lot more natural for us.

Coaching can almost do nothing but screw it up for us... So I'll take our learning curve any day.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#1673 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Zion is already starting to feel overrated despite not playing a single regular season minute. Comparing him to Watt is a joke...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1674 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:Zion is already starting to feel overrated despite not playing a single regular season minute. Comparing him to Watt is a joke...

I was just going to post on how quickly the narrative on him has morphed from "Better than LeBron" to a series of posts that seem to be focused on setting 'realistic expectations for him... "Yeah but he's still growing!"...

The fact that some of this seems to be coming from the Pelicans themselves is a little concerning... He really needs to get on the court.

I remember when people were all outraged when some reporter equated him to Randle...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#1675 » by Landsberger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 am

I don't watch of a lot of college ball.... I think the one and done stuff has irreparably hurt the college game.... that aside I watched the full YouTube primer on Zion and didn't see the "Lebron" comparisons at all. Those are his BEST plays and games too.

Like a lot of guys with superior athleticism the fundamentals are behind and when you go pro the gap in athleticism begins to narrow. He reminds me of Blake Griffin a little at his beginning in the NBA. We'll see if he can leverage his athleticism to the level Blake did. Blake did develop the balance of his game over a few years to round it out nicely. That's very rare. Zion will get on SportsCenter top 10 a lot but will it mean anything in the standings? We'll see.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#1676 » by kblo247 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:05 am

Kilroy wrote:

Kawhi turned him out because RC Buford and Pop were on their bull ****.

They wanted to approve his endorsement deals. They wanted him to accept what their doctors said at face value despite being proven wrong and Green saying they **** up with him. They wanted him to take less money because it’s the Spurs way. They didn’t want the family around the organization either.

People act like Pop hasn’t been tuned out before or the Spurs haven’t black ball guys before.

They **** over Rodman. The key Robinson press to him every day and expected him to take out. In fact they let Robinson preach in front the team to him despite knowing he didn’t believe in that. They let Robinson critique his tattoos and piercings. They ran him out and gave him to Chicago.

They did the same with Jackson who got a bad rep the second he said I won’t give you a discount in 03. He got pushed out the door and when he returned he was pushed out again because he said he was better than Manu, which he was at the time

Malik Rose went from praised to pushed out when he wanted to be compensated and he started getting benched and then traded.

They pushed Brent Barry our after Parker **** his wife.

Pop has struggled with American born AAU players. He’s been fine with foreign players, Duncan who grew up in the islands, and a military guy in the Admiral. But he’s butted heads with anyone who has a different upbringing and struggles to get gem to buy in. I can see Doc getting Kawhi to run through a wall much easier than Pop.

Pop would have struggled to coach Kobe’s mentality or Jordan for that example, let alone an Iverson or Lebron full time
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#1677 » by stan francisco » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:09 am

LMAO at the idea of Ballmer being open to changing the franchise name, logo, moving. It would undoubtedly be in bad judgment and lowbrow. The Seattle Ballz.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#1678 » by iamworthy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 pm

Starting to really like trae young.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#1679 » by stan francisco » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:49 am

iamworthy wrote:Starting to really like trae young.

He’s got the right idea, picking Kobe’s brain.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#1680 » by tugs » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:11 am

Him and Kuz going in the right direction.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers