ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '20-21 Season XI

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Re: Official Casual / OT Wasteman Thread '18-19 Season XI 

Post#301 » by PT416 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:14 am

Hey fellow wastemen I just wanna say something. I know it's not OT but bro we are actually a top 3 team in the East next year. Boston? Are you kidding me? Kemba is half the player Kyrie was and it's always been Lowry>Kemba. And it's Siakam>Tatum. And they lost Horford. It might be hard to catch Philly unless they have injuries. And if Giannis is healthy, Milwaukee is 1st, but 3rd is ours. Pacers LOL come on. I can't believe they're sleeping on us again. Anyway bye wastemen.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#302 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:39 pm

PT416 wrote:Hey fellow wastemen I just wanna say something. I know it's not OT but bro we are actually a top 3 team in the East next year. Boston? Are you kidding me? Kemba is half the player Kyrie was and it's always been Lowry>Kemba. And it's Siakam>Tatum. And they lost Horford. It might be hard to catch Philly unless they have injuries. And if Giannis is healthy, Milwaukee is 1st, but 3rd is ours. Pacers LOL come on. I can't believe they're sleeping on us again. Anyway bye wastemen.

Yes and we might actually be the 2nd seed. I'm predicting PHI load manages Embiid and we over perform in regular season in Lowry era by playing hard.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#303 » by TheRealDeal » Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:44 pm

Lots of memories in this video... been a wild decade

Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#304 » by Dr Octagon » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:45 pm

Wishing all Mans an amazing long weekend

God Bless
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#305 » by Steelo Green » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:14 pm

LASS GO RAPTOURS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#306 » by TheBoi10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:15 pm

Siakam in Cameroon

Read on Twitter
kai_bouche
Sixth Man
And1: 10,166

Post#307 » by kai_bouche » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:47 am

Reaction to playing the Pelicans for the season opener lmfoa
Stubby wrote:I just scared my coworker when I giggled out loud in school girl extasy. #wethenorth #masaismiteszion
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Post#308 » by Red Shoelace » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:31 am

Spoiler:
World War Z 2013

Rewatched Aug 03, 2019
RedShoelace’s review published on Letterboxd:

Reading the book, decided to rewatch.

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/world-war-z/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#309 » by Red Shoelace » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:33 am

Luce (2019) - 6.75/10
Spoiler:
Luce 2019 ★★★

Watched Aug 03, 2019

A compelling drama with a captivating lead. Luce is a straight A student, captain of his track team, member of the debate team, and a great public speaker. For all intents and purposes he's an exemplary young black man in America. He doesn't like to be put in that box however; adopted from two upper class white parents from war torn Eritrea at the age of seven. Described as being taught how to use a gun before a bike, there is something within Luce that no amount of therapy or supportive parents could get to. Kelvin Harrison Jr. is great as duplicitous Luce, you never know what he's done or hasn't done, we're in the dark just as much as his parents are. Now, he's not exactly training to be an archer for some dark and gloomy plot line like We Need To Talk About Kevin, but that vibe nonetheless is there. There is a great supporting cast of Naomi Watts and Octavia Spencer as the confrontational teacher who Luce places all his ire in.

Ensemble dramas like this one really rely on its actors. Luce without a doubt delivers with its performances and great scenes. There is intrigue as we try and discover Luce as a person and his motivations. Naomi Watts who plays the supportive mother is always wracked between guilt and love. The musical score had a nice touch in contributing to the unease the film puts you in. While not necessarily a psychopath, the unknown is what pushes the intrigue with the story and how unreadable Luce really is. Another excellent high school movie, can't get enough of them. The most surprising thing about it all - it's from the same man who brought Cloverfield Paradox to life.

6.75/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/luce/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#310 » by Red Shoelace » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:52 pm

Wild Rose [Scottish] (2019) - 7.75/10
Spoiler:
Wild Rose 2019 ★★★½

Watched Aug 05, 2019

It's official, I'm a Jessie Buckley stan now. There's been a lot of these star is born films the last few years, not even last year the lauded A Star Is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper swept audiences and critics alike. To me, I found it an unrelatable and unoriginal followup that failed to engage me on many levels. In contrast, Wild Rose is everything I had wanted in A Star Is Born with a star who could sing just as much as act. In Wild Rose, Buckley plays Rose-Lynn, recently released from prison and a mother of two. While she may be in her prime years for what a country music star would be, her life began a lot sooner with two children before the age of eighteen. It's the sort of redemption story that pulls you along, except Rose has never tasted stardom in Glasgow, Scotland. She remarks many times feeling as if she wished to have been born an American in the heart of country music itself; Nashville.

Director Tom Harper could have rested on his laurels with such a strong leading lady performance but he contributed and pulled his weight. Instead of the lazy medium shots you'd expect there was a lot of variety here, knowing when to be up close and when to be at a distance. Simple effects like out of focus shots on the release of prison, or change of perception when Rose's struggles begin mounting. It was more than a movie hinging on its great musical performance, which in that regard succeeded and then some. There is just a sense of excitement towards the future when you stumble upon a young up and coming filmmaker or actor. When I discovered Beast last year, which was my favourite thriller of the year thanks again to Miss Buckley and her ability to guard her emotions, and unleash them when necessary, I had that sense of optimism. Not only was Wild Rose a great dramatic performance, but her ability to sing, and do it so well is what makes everything complete. She could have opted to lip sync like some other talent-less frauds that the Academy chose to honor and yet there was a believable country music star in the making with a nearly incomprehensible Scottish dialect.

Dreams are a big theme of Wild Rose and what makes this such an empathetic and inspiring story. There was not much I personally could relate with Rose-Lynn being a woman, a mother, an ex convict, a talented artist. Yet her dreams of being a star and going to Nashville was enough for me to forego all of that ancillary stuff. Having to mix her responsibilities as a mother with her dreams of being a music star. In many ways her mother (another great acting performance by Julie Walters) who takes care of her children is a reminder of her future if she doesn't succeed. I guess for many of us, we've all come to terms that our childhood dreams of being astronauts, basketball stars, rock stars are never going to happen. Which is why I and I suspect you will have such a strong rooting interest in Rose-Lynn's success. What success to her means, I will leave you to discover on your own but it's delightful and something that is bound to uplift. Wild Rose is a feel good film with an important story and Jessie Buckley emerging as a star is going to be a treat to watch. The only bad thing - Scottish movies need subtitles!!

7.75/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/wild-rose-2019/
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#311 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:53 pm

1. This is messed up
2. The English teacher is, well, right. There are two seperate words that mean different things and he pronounces it the right way too.
3. The comment section is funny as hell. He should have been punished of course, but it's hard to be mad at a guy - no matter what race you are - who is trying to relate to his students who use it all the time, even for a pencil. I doubt he's racist at all.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#312 » by Dr Octagon » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:05 pm

Wishing all Mans an amazing week

God Bless
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#313 » by Red Shoelace » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:21 pm

Great movies added to Netflix today:

About Time
Being John Malkovich
Friday Night Lights
The Wizard (for old head gamers)
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#314 » by Red Shoelace » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:13 pm

Chasing Amy (1997) - 5.5/10
Spoiler:
Chasing Amy 1997 ★★½

Watched Aug 06, 2019

Kevin Smith has always made films that flirt with different tones. Chasing Amy, which is one of those romantic comedies I've heard about for years and yet never got around to watching is another example of this. Fortunately the ending wasn't spoiled, which was quite shocking and has a big 'what in the world?' result. Chasing Amy like many of his other works is a blend between serious and comedic, and like Clerks, had moments of real humanity. Enough to pique your interest and engage and almost as if a self defense mechanism that Smith employs because he thinks his insights are not important enough, chooses often to throw in a raunchy joke or one liner. This same self defense mechanism of humor I see in myself, and I'm sure quite a few others do as well. Which makes the movie frustrating to watch going from an important scene which ends in a bad punch line to a joke.

A true 90's film for sure, there is just something about the way movies from that time sound and mixed in songs from the soundtrack. From the half real and half set designs location shooting, nowadays all of which take place at real locations primarily. The use of language - which let's face it, in a society becoming more and more sensitive and 'politically correct' is incorporated in a way you wouldn't hear today. A story involving a man and his homophobic best friend and business partner falling in love with a lesbian woman. It explores sexuality, experience, and at times is compelling, falls to pieces thanks to Ben Afflecks awful acting. As a side note, I am hard pressed to think of such a star in Hollywood today that rose thru the ranks as an actor so quickly thru sheer luck and connections. Interestingly enough, my favourite scene of the film is with Kevin Smith in front of the camera as Silent Bob (Jay and Silent Bob fame) whose main character Holden writes his comic books about "Bluntman and Chronic." In this scene Bob tells an anecdote that all comes back to the name of the movie itself; Chasing Amy. Which, like many moments in the movie comes crashing down by the end with miss placed vulgarity and a lame joke.

5.5/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/chasing-amy/
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#315 » by Hero » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:47 pm

Anyone seen this? It really is not the type of behaviour you want to see.

Read on Twitter

So here is the person who has submitted their weekly expenses.

Industry: Communications
Salary: $60,000
Paycheque Amount (Monthly): $5,000 (My income fluctuates depending on what projects I'm working on, so this is an average. I'm self-employed, which means taxes aren't deducted automatically. I put aside 30% for tax time.)
Gender Identity: Woman
Monthly Expenses
Rent: $0 (I'm so fortunate to live with my dad and stepmom, who also pay for Spotify and Netflix.)
Student Loans: $0 (I paid off $30,000 in student debt within 11 months! I was lucky enough to receive a living will totalling $10,000 from my grandmother. I put that towards my debt, plus $1,600 every month. Half of the loan was paid by the time the federal interest kicked in six months after I graduated. At month 11, I got a massive tax return of $3,000 and finished paying off the whole thing.)
Phone: $73
TFSA: $1,000
Therapy: $280 (I go once a week at $70 per session.)
Emergency Fund: $150
Globe and Mail Subscription: $30

Day Three
11:45 a.m. — OMG. This is why I fare evade and do not feel bad at all. First of all, I hop on a streetcar that goes into a subway station, but the subway is closed between four stations, so I get on a streetcar to go to an open subway station. Then I discover that this streetcar is stopping earlier than expected, because there's a street closure. So I walk to the subway station, which will take me to a bus that will get me to my appointment. But of course, the subway doesn't come for SEVEN minutes.

Day Six
12 p.m. — I fare evade home in a huff so I can eat my pomegranate salad and watch Stranger Things in peace.

Day 7
2:15 p.m. — I fare evade on multiple TTC vehicles.

Like seriously. What is this? It reminds me of posts on RedFlagDeals where they'd say they got caught by fare inspectors on York transit (Viva) and then wonder if they can get out of it. Not actually you know...realize what you're doing is wrong and pay the fine.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:25 am

Whenever I see someone try and pull a fast one on the bus driver with an expired transfer and they get caught I get a Grinch level smile on the inside. @Hero

That person is true scum.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#317 » by Red Shoelace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:30 am

Kate Plays Christine (2016) - 4.0/10
Spoiler:
Kate Plays Christine 2016 ★★

Watched Aug 07, 2019

A faux documentary with potential that ran out of all good will by the final frame. I had my doubts about the legitimacy of the documentary after a few scenes, knowing nothing helped me but also made me ask questions. As an actor, taking on a role, especially that of another real person takes its toll. For Kate Lyn Shell, we're told the premise of this documentary is her role in the biopic of Christine Chubbuck; the first on air suicide of a news reporter. To get into that mind space as an actor is tricky, as Kate goes on to show; understanding suicide and mental health even today when it's even more understood than the 70's is as she puts it, 'scary.' It made me think of a few actors who mostly from method acting have gone through many difficult times taking on these personas. Whether it's Heath Ledger and his masterful performance of Joker, or how ingrained Daniel Day Lewis becomes during production of any of his films. It becomes so taxing for some of these actors who practically absorb these characters into their own personality like a modern day Highlander.

Kate puts on the wig, gets a tan, interviews many people who had worked or knew Christine. It's clear over the course of this 'documentary' that becoming Christine is changing Kate as well. As profound and interesting as this all sounds, none of it is real. In truth, this is a film under the guise of a documentary premise. The actors assigned to play Chubbuck's friends, family, or coworkers are all in on this elaborate dramatized joke. Was that the point after all, to make us think on behalf of actors and their creative process? All I know is that there is an extremely well done film that happened to come out the same year as this about the same subject. It was strictly a drama under no false pretenses and Rebecca Hall played a convincing and clearly distressed Christine. Having seen that prior only made this movie all the more annoying as I removed the wool from my eyes.

4.0/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/kate-plays-christine/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#318 » by Red Shoelace » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:44 am

Jackie (2016) - 6.0/10
Spoiler:
Jackie 2016 ★★★

Watched Aug 08, 2019

Jackie is one of those movies that is hard to fault but just wasn't for me. Natalie Portman plays Jacqueline Kennedy days after her husband and president of the United States was murdered. It's impeccably acted, the set designs to the costumes are all exquisite, the directing from Pablo Larrain is fantastic. For me it boils down to biopic fatigue and how often they're just not my bag. The story itself was well done, with exposition to demonstrate that 'Jackie' was more than just a first lady during her expose interview with Billy Crudup's journalist character. Going back in time as Jackie recalls the moments of the assassination and the lead up to the funeral in which all of America watched on there television sets. A great film that showed what a poised and smart woman in love with history just as much as her husband was, but one that didn't do much for me.

6.0/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/jackie-2016/
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant

Post#319 » by Red Shoelace » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:48 am

Hail, Caesar! (2016) - 7.0/10
Spoiler:
Hail, Caesar! 2016 ★★★½

Watched Aug 08, 2019

Joel and Ethan Coen love film and its deep history and Hail, Caesar! was there way to show appreciation for it. An easily divisive film you can see from the onset, it takes understanding and having seen a fair share of big studio pictures from that era to really see where Hail Caesar was coming from. Everything is shot on set with great intention, because after all, during that time most films never had location shooting. Imagine football field size neighborhoods built with the express purpose to churn out as many films a year as humanly possible. There was hardly ever any location shooting in post war filmmaking and the big studio era. Stars were fabricated from the ground up and *everything* was tailored to them; imagine the insane Kardashian trend of today, but this wasn't anything new. Stars back then were just as popular if not more so and the character acting of todays era was hardly a thing back then. Arranging marriages, putting a western star into a serious drama, keeping their puritan image by hush money and fall men - all things that really did go on, and employed by the Coen brothers to make a funny example of it.

The film looked great, aged in a way to easily take you back to the 50s. It's no coincidence by the end to learn the cinematography was by none other then legend Roger Deakins (who has shot a number of their films). Heck, even the kidnapping plot involving George Clooney (as the studios leading man) involved the coming red tide of communism. The same one which birthed McCarthyism that swept Hollywood and blackballed actors, writers, directors and anyone involved in making pictures. I think that's why I enjoyed the movie so much, is how rich it was to cinema history, incorporating the non-fiction world into a comedic hour and a half. Film noir, musical, historical epics, westerns - all the genres the big studios were known for cranking out were all featured in Hail Caesar in one way or another. The ensemble cast was terrific, Josh Brolin as the studio fixer was a great fit as he trouble shoots an endless amount of problems. His only sin according to him; sneaking in a couple cigarettes behind his wife's back - another nod to the holier than thou society of the post war boom.

In short, this movie was a load of fun... if you understood the context. Without any historical background, there is not much to appreciate besides a few wacky characters and a lackluster kidnapping plot. Coen brother comedies have really been hit and miss with me over the years but this one left a smile on my face for the entire run time.

7.0/10

https://letterboxd.com/redshoelace/film/hail-caesar-2016/
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Post#320 » by ken6199 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:49 am

Just checked into Kimpton St George on Bloor St. Talked some bball with the reception guy during the check-in, and he gave me a free bottle of wine delivered to my room. People are nice here lol! The guys name is Richard!

Wanted to do some hiking tomorrow, currently looking at belfountain conservation area VS smokey hollow trail. Any suggestions?
RealGM loves you, Melissa.

Return to Toronto Raptors