ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1221 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 pm

316Hornets wrote:I think there's a good chance we decline Monk's 5.3M team option in 2020.

And I think there's a better chance of Kupchak extending Monk on a multi-year bargain deal similar to the 4 year-48 million dollar one everyone thought was a joke overpay. And yes I kept track of these things. Meanwhile everyone raved about MKG's POS contract.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1222 » by catch20two » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:12 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Lou Williams is 6' 1". He has played from the bench his entire career. Two years he started about half the games and shot 34% from 3.

Monk is 6' 3" and plays above the rim. Can Lou even dunk? Monk is a highlight dunker. He shot 34% as a 19 year old rookie in sporadic minutes.

Low IQ is also a BS smear used against Kemba. I specifically remember a mod here calling Kemba flat out dumb. Batum is high IQ. Marvin is high IQ. Whoopdee Doo. The highest IQ on the court needs to be your head coach, and your PG, bonus if it's your primary scorer.

You do know that LouWill participated in the McDonald’s HS Game Dunk Contest and had a lot of athleticism during his earlier years, right?

Athleticism aside we’d be lucky if Monk becomes as good as LouWill. That’s not a diss. LouWill is one of the best bench scorers in NBA history.

And I personally wouldn’t hold the opinions of mods in high value. They agreed with a lot of the decisions Cho made over the years while I argued against them and came off as a dick just because I had a difference in opinion.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1223 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Lou plays below the rim and always has.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1224 » by catch20two » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Lou plays below the rim and always has.

Smart players under 6’6” tend to play below the rim for the most part. It’s not like Monk is going to be dunking every game. No need to exhaust all of that energy.

The key to Monk proving his value will be smart shot selection, efficiency, and defense. None of those revolve around playing above the rim.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1225 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 pm

catch20two wrote:

Smart players under 6’6” tend to play below the rim for the most part. It’s not like Monk is going to be dunking every game. No need to exhaust all of that energy.

The key to Monk proving his value will be smart shot selection, efficiency, and defense. None of those revolve around playing above the rim.

All of those things plus transition offense. Monk can finish above the rim. He can posterize. He can flush a lob. This team is built for the fast break. He's gonna be a scoring machine.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1226 » by catch20two » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
catch20two wrote:

All of those things plus transition offense. Monk can finish above the rim. He can posterize. He can flush a lob. This team is built for the fast break. He's gonna be a scoring machine.

This team is built to be a laughingstock and to lose 3/4 of their games this season. There won’t be a lot of worthwhile transition offense.

Monk will have his highlight dunks here and there. He had those the past two years.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1227 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Bacon taking up for Monk on twitter. Paraphrasing. Bacon tweeted to let Monk breathe hes working. Monk replied saying dont say nothing bro. Intrigued to just see if Monks body has changed at all. And Monk and everyone else definitely knows hes been under a little scrutiny
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#1228 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

I want him to succeed so badly.

Read on Twitter
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#1229 » by Snidely FC » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:12 pm

There is a good chance that Monk can become a complementary piece with the Hornets new acquisitions. Acquiring both Terry Rozier and Cody Martin this offseason may be an underlying plus for Monk’s on-court time this fall. These two guards have extensive experience carrying their team’s facilitation duties. Both also have excellent length advantage over typical guards as Martin stands 6’7” with a 6’10” wingspan, while Rozier carries an impressive 6’8” wingspan to complement his 6’1” height.

Personally I'd rather have a two-way player who doesn't like Monk need to be hidden on defense
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1230 » by catch20two » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:21 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
There is a good chance that Monk can become a complementary piece with the Hornets new acquisitions. Acquiring both Terry Rozier and Cody Martin this offseason may be an underlying plus for Monk’s on-court time this fall. These two guards have extensive experience carrying their team’s facilitation duties. Both also have excellent length advantage over typical guards as Martin stands 6’7” with a 6’10” wingspan, while Rozier carries an impressive 6’8” wingspan to complement his 6’1” height.

Personally I'd rather have a two-way player who doesn't like Monk need to be hidden on defense

Personally I believe that Monk has the most potential of any player on the Hornets roster. I was the biggest advocate for him on the board leading up to the draft. I’ve been the most disappointed in his first two seasons here. Keyword was potential and potential is lingo for haven’t done anything yet.

Monk still can tap into his potential and I think it would be wise for Charlotte to use this tanking season to get the best out of Monk. However I’m not used to this franchise doing what’s best.

We’ll see how it plays out.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1231 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:07 pm

Monk also seems to have the most standing in the way of him achieving his potential
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#1232 » by BigRedDog » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:09 am

316Hornets wrote:I think there's a good chance we decline Monk's 5.3M team option in 2020.

Monk's definitely been atrocious. This is a make or break year for him no doubt. Analytics pegged him as highly likely bust coming out of college, but i still can't get too mad at us for taking a shot on him when he slipped.

i was glad to see Donovan Mitchell have a tough season because after their rookie year i thought we had made a devastating decision.

All that said, $5m is like nothing these days... you can barely get an end of the bench player that's any better than Monk or $5m so I'd hate to give up on a 22 year old with his athleticism/shooting over a $5m option...

We're gonna suck with or without monk so i dont want to give up on him on the rookie deal unless it was to make room for some studs in free agency (doubt it!)...

On the same token id lose my mind if we hand him an extension without him showing anything. Im not sure he's even an NBA player at this point
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#1233 » by Lwcasu » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:30 am

BigRedDog wrote:

Monk's definitely been atrocious. This is a make or break year for him no doubt. Analytics pegged him as highly likely bust coming out of college, but i still can't get too mad at us for taking a shot on him when he slipped.

i was glad to see Donovan Mitchell have a tough season because after their rookie year i thought we had made a devastating decision.

All that said, $5m is like nothing these days... you can barely get an end of the bench player that's any better than Monk or $5m so I'd hate to give up on a 22 year old with his athleticism/shooting over a $5m option...

We're gonna suck with or without monk so i dont want to give up on him on the rookie deal unless it was to make room for some studs in free agency (doubt it!)...

On the same token id lose my mind if we hand him an extension without him showing anything. Im not sure he's even an NBA player at this point

Mitchell’s stats went up across the board. We still made a devastating decision.
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#1234 » by CatgutStitches » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:29 pm

While Mitchell is clearly the better player at this point, I'd still like to point out that the comparison of the 2, especially statistically, is pretty apples and oranges. Monk is nearly 2 years younger than Mitchell, so he's about as old as Mitchell was his rookie year now, not to mention Mitchell was immediately given the keys to lead a team that had no leader and take as many shots as he wanted, while Malik has had completely sporadic playing time and never even gotten a start.

Sure, he hasn't had that role in large part due to his perceived shortcomings, but comparing the 2 statistically is still pretty unfair IMO. Their per-36 stats aren't even that far off, and that's with Malik playing with far lesser talent around him and having a completely sporadic role on the team.

I'm in no way saying Malik will end up being the right or wrong pick, but I just really hope he gets a real role this season and we see what we've got in him... he's certainly fun to watch play.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1235 » by Robot Rock » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:01 pm

If we drafted him, MItchell would've averaged 26 ppg ... in Greensboro.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#1236 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:23 pm

Wish we had Mitchells "disappointing" season last year.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1237 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:00 pm

Telling that Bridges and Rod Boone both mentioned Bridges hanging out and training in the offseason with the Hornets' other young core guys -- Dwayne Bacon and Devonte Graham. No mention of Monk. Maybe they don't get along.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1238 » by 316Hornets » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:59 pm

Robot Rock wrote:Telling that Bridges and Rod Boone both mentioned Bridges hanging out and training in the offseason with the Hornets' other young core guys -- Dwayne Bacon and Devonte Graham. No mention of Monk. Maybe they don't get along.

Hopefully we have Monk on the trade block with whatever value he has. Last season where we didn't play him for long periods of time was the end of our belief in him. He's not going to buy whatever we sell him from this point on. Because I guarantee you he thought he should have been playing and I agree. We played Frank, a guy who bad mouthed the franchise with his family over Monk because our front office is so short sighted.

From Games 58-70, we gave Monk a total of about 63 minutes of game action. This is after we started the season giving him 20+ minutes a game.

Meanwhile, Frank was getting almost no minutes. He and his family bad mouthed the franchise and then he started playing every game 20+ minutes. Obviously, they don't play the same position but this shows how inept our front office is.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
therebirth
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#1239 » by therebirth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:38 am

All the young players are working out together except for monk. What a disappointment he has become!
The curse of Higgins!
hotrod
Veteran
And1: 150

Post#1240 » by hotrod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:47 pm

https://www.nba.com/hornets/malik-monk-talks-offseason-being-patient-and-new-opportunities

Not so fast on Monk. Sounds like he is adding some much needed muscle.

Return to Charlotte Hornets