[SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#161 » by trueballer7 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:09 am

Single most manufactured career in pro sports history, worldwide. They were forcing, in a literal sense, everybody to assist Lebron to win a title. The physical, mental, psychological effects being visible and still apparent to all included (Lue had to be hospitalized, Love was suffering from breakdowns and depression, Griffin stopped watching basketball altogether, Irving was willing to throw away a whole year of his career to free himself). Can you fathom that?
And all he got, was a single title where a number of the most improbable events all coincided at once and even then it was by the thinnest of margins.
They were manhandling the league, forming super teams and torturing players, coaches and GMs to get provide him the easiest possible way to multiple championships, and he couldnt deliver.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#162 » by Gooner » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:10 am

trueballer7 wrote:Single most manufactured career in pro sports history, worldwide. They were forcing, in a literal sense, everybody to assist Lebron to win a title. The physical, mental, psychological effects being visible and still apparent to all included (Lue had to be hospitalized, Love was suffering from breakdowns and depression, Griffin stopped watching basketball altogether, Irving was willing to throw away a whole year of his career to free himself). Can you fathom that?
And all he got, was a single title where a number of the most improbable events all coincided at once and even then it was by the thinnest of margins.
They were manhandling the league, forming super teams and torturing players, coaches and GMs to get provide him the easiest possible way to multiple championships, and he couldnt deliver.

This is the 100% truth.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,830

Post#163 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:04 am

SlowPaced wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Peterson is definitely a figurehead of that cult.

Can you find me a clip of Peterson denigrating "cucks" and "betas"? That's not who he is at all.

I agree. Jordan Peterson doesn't really speak to the red pill crowd, though they did run havoc with his lobster analogies for a while and they appreciate many of his socially conservative takes as pertains to gender, especially the reactionary sounding ones.

The group that Peterson speaks to is the incels. His enforced monogamy "solution" is essentially sexual communism, wanting to restrict attractive men (and women, obviously) at the behest of unattractive men, so that the unattractive men don't feel upset. It is completely at odds with his defense of hierarchies and opposition to equality of outcome policies. This hypocrisy was pointed out to him by Joe Rogan at one of their podcasts, and he stumbled, ultimately failing to give a real response.

I pretty much lump red pill/mra/incels all together. A bunch of angry and vile misogynists, racists and bigots. I've seen too much overlap from them with their beliefs and rhetoric.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#164 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:11 am

My question is what happens if Zion becomes the "new LeBron"? Is he going to break down again in a very similar situation.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#165 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:13 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:
Can you find me a clip of Peterson denigrating "cucks" and "betas"? That's not who he is at all.

I'm not messing up my YouTube feed by searching for any of his videos, but Peterson is a known misogynist and a bigot. He is a hero to these red pill MRA incel clowns.
Well if you're unwilling to educate yourself, then at least have the sense to remain silent because right now you're playing the fool who's opening his mouth thereby removing all doubt.

Educate myself? You call watching a video of a lunatic who thinks that the world should go back to how it was in the 1950s is "educating myself"? I've seen enough footage to know that he's straight up trash who spreads a toxic ideology, I'm not going to search and post his videos here. Plus, I like keeping my YouTube suggestions limited to music stuff, thank you very much.

And dude, I literally posted an article where Peterson is endorsing enforced monogamy to keep incels from becoming violent. You're going to call me a fool, yet you're here defending a man who is suggesting something as repugnant as this :lol: says more about you than me.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#166 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:17 am

NBAFan93 wrote:I need to read this whole thread, but THIS line from that excerpt in the OP really stood out to me - like omg is it stunning that he’d say this:

“The reason is LeBron is getting all the credit and none of the blame. And that’s not fun for people,” Griffin says. “They don’t like being part of that world.”

Just stunned he’d say that. Maybe he’s not as big of a LeBron fan as we thought.

I mean...maybe he's telling the truth?? Playing with Lebron is probably very taxing on players, coaches, front office execs, etc. You saw how the Lakers imploded last season. That didn't look like it was fun at all for anyone involved.

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,360

Post#167 » by Dominator83 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:22 am

If you can't stand the heat then it might be best to stay out of the kitchen. If you have a contending team, you'll always be likely to have a high maintenance star. Like if the Pens get good quick, Zion will likely be Lebron like, you'll have Lonzo and his dad getting louder, etc.

As a Bulls fan, this makes me feel even more that people under appreciated the crap out of Jerry Krause. He had the high stakes of having to build teams around MJ twice. MJ and co treated him like **** despite the fact that he just kept delivering the right players. Guys like Griffin and Gar/Pax would've folded like tents
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,526

Post#168 » by mysticOscar » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:24 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm not messing up my YouTube feed by searching for any of his videos, but Peterson is a known misogynist and a bigot. He is a hero to these red pill MRA incel clowns.
Well if you're unwilling to educate yourself, then at least have the sense to remain silent because right now you're playing the fool who's opening his mouth thereby removing all doubt.

Educate myself? You call watching a video of a lunatic who thinks that the world should go back to how it was in the 1950s is "educating myself"? I've seen enough footage to know that he's straight up trash who spreads a toxic ideology, I'm not going to search and post his videos here. Plus, I like keeping my YouTube suggestions limited to music stuff, thank you very much.

And dude, I literally posted an article where Peterson is endorsing enforced monogamy to keep incels from becoming violent. You're going to call me a fool, yet you're here defending a man who is suggesting something as repugnant as this :lol: says more about you than me.

This is so off topic...but thought i quickly chime in....

Firstly u have no idea about Jordan Peterson and his ideas....all u have are information from small sound bites from media that have totally misreprsented him.

And secondly...i dont understand why today its so contreversial for anyone to come out and encourage for people to take personal responsibility. It baffles me how he is so contreversial
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#169 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:53 am

Dominater wrote:If you can't stand the heat then it might be best to stay out of the kitchen. If you have a contending team, you'll always be likely to have a high maintenance star. Like if the Pens get good quick, Zion will likely be Lebron like, you'll have Lonzo and his dad getting louder, etc.

As a Bulls fan, this makes me feel even more that people under appreciated the crap out of Jerry Krause. He had the high stakes of having to build teams around MJ twice. MJ and co treated him like **** despite the fact that he just kept delivering the right players. Guys like Griffin and Gar/Pax would've folded like tents

That's my thing...it's okay if a person can't handle the pressure. But then they're not a fit for the job. Zion Williamson is going to want to be competing big time especially once he gets into his first big deal. after that, Griffin will have 4 years at most to have a championship level team around him or he'll be forcing his way out of New Orleans just like Anthony Davis did to play in a bigger market that has ownership that can spend big bucks.

Just based off of this alone I don't think Griffin stays the GM of the Pelicans over the course of the next 8 years. The pressure will be too much. By the time Zion is midway into his extension he'll probably have one foot out of the door anyway.

Tanks1
Junior
And1: 260

Post#170 » by Tanks1 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:09 pm

What a crybaby. Isn't that the GM's job? Take care of your superstar and build around him?

What's he going to do when those Millennials on the Pelicans come of age? GM is a very tough job, but not one to
go baby woe-is-me over.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#172 » by Ainosterhaspie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote: I've seen enough footage to know that he's straight up trash who spreads a toxic ideology, I'm not going to search and post his videos here. Plus, I like keeping my YouTube suggestions limited to music stuff, thank you very much.

First of all I didn't call you a fool, I said you were acting like one because you are spouting off untruths and refusing to learn or even attempt to back up your statement. Posting that article was at least an effort to back up your claim so I'll give you credit for that.

But the article had small excerpts which you deliberately or ignorantly twist into a gross misrepresentation of what he is saying. Other posters here have tried to clarify for you, but you have your fingers in your ears as you chant "nyah nyah I can't hear you."

Peterson is not a racist, misogynist, bigot at all. He's actually a guy that can talk those sorts down and bring them out of that mindless cult. His comments take some thought to understand. It's a level of discourse more complex than the general drivel, hot take sorts of back and forth political shouting matches that have taken over the conversations.

Look, don't agree with him. That's fine. The problem isn't that you disagree, it's that you aren't listening and/or you are letting other people tell you what he says and thinks rather than listening, giving him the benefit of the doubt and trying to understand what he is saying. Instead you are filtering him through your own prejudices and producing a dishonest assessment.

There's a real problem when people on both sides of the political spectrum assume the worst in their opponent and don't truly listen. If you can't listen it just becomes a pointless shouting match. But if you actually listen. If you give someone the benefit of the doubt. If you assume they could be a decent person who just sees things differently, then maybe common ground can be reached. Perhaps you will learn that they simply view things differently than you and are mistaken (from your point of view) but not the vile, reprehensible person they seemed at first.

There are certainly people on the fringes who are horrid, but most people aren't that. Give them a chance, and as I've already said actually listen to them.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#173 » by Ainosterhaspie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:13 pm

Tanks1 wrote:What a crybaby. Isn't that the GM's job? Take care of your superstar and build around him?

What's he going to do when those Millennials on the Pelicans come of age? GM is a very tough job, but not one to
go baby woe-is-me over.

Yeah, it's almost like a little kid throwing a tantrum because someone helped him build his block tower and he didn't get to do it all himself. Never mind that they built the tower better than he could have if left alone. He didn't get to do it his way, so he's upset.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#174 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:24 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Dominater wrote:If you can't stand the heat then it might be best to stay out of the kitchen. If you have a contending team, you'll always be likely to have a high maintenance star. Like if the Pens get good quick, Zion will likely be Lebron like, you'll have Lonzo and his dad getting louder, etc.

That's my thing...it's okay if a person can't handle the pressure. But then they're not a fit for the job. Zion Williamson is going to want to be competing big time especially once he gets into his first big deal. after that, Griffin will have 4 years at most to have a championship level team around him or he'll be forcing his way out of New Orleans just like Anthony Davis did to play in a bigger market that has ownership that can spend big bucks.

Just based off of this alone I don't think Griffin stays the GM of the Pelicans over the course of the next 8 years. The pressure will be too much. By the time Zion is midway into his extension he'll probably have one foot out of the door anyway.

Whatever credit he didn't think he received at the time, he was basically treated credibly as an insider in his ensuing media gig. I think he lacks perspective and if I'm Zion I'm remembering that this guy is taking public shots at LeBron out of the blue. There's no way he's lasting 8 years.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#175 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:53 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:What's wrong with admitting that you didn't like the culture. NBA champion or not, a toxic culture is still toxic

This. And given culture starts with main player. He just saying in hidden message working with Lebron was toxic which I like even more. :lol:
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,882

Post#176 » by Wilfried » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:55 pm

This seems normal to me, coming from a guy who was just the GM by title for all those years
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#178 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:57 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Whatever credit he didn't think he received at the time, he was basically treated credibly as an insider in his ensuing media gig. I think he lacks perspective and if I'm Zion I'm remembering that this guy is taking public shots at LeBron out of the blue. There's no way he's lasting 8 years.

Exactly. If you're Zion and you're hearing this, you're probably alarmed.

I can't fathom actually how any owner can read that kind of commentary and think that they have the right man for the job. Being a GM of a multi million dollar franchise comes with a degree of pressure to produce results, that's why they are paid out the ass.

Yeah, Lebron is a handful. Sure. But I don't think that this should be aired in public even if it is true, it makes Griffin look like he's out of his depth.

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#179 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

or Griffin sat down talked to Zion and his people about his time in Cleveland and showed them exactly how and why what they were doing was inorganic and unsustainable and then showed them his vision of how he wants to build the Pelicans longterm.

Cant really compare Lebron in Ohio to any other situation not Krause or Jordan or even Zion because it was simply about a star wanting to win but a star having a massive influence over the entire organization as well as the state
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#180 » by SlimD235 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:07 pm

trueballer7 wrote:Single most manufactured career in pro sports history, worldwide. They were forcing, in a literal sense, everybody to assist Lebron to win a title. The physical, mental, psychological effects being visible and still apparent to all included (Lue had to be hospitalized, Love was suffering from breakdowns and depression, Griffin stopped watching basketball altogether, Irving was willing to throw away a whole year of his career to free himself). Can you fathom that?

Perfectly said.

Return to The General Board