The Next face of the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Re: The Next face of the NBA 

Post#21 » by Lalouie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:16 pm

it's kawhi and he'll be the bridge to

doncic and giannis

but giannis has to not be a one note player if he is to be the FACE of the nba

and the mavs will have to be a contender
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 14,967

Post#22 » by Sgt Major » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:17 pm

bo8403 wrote:Nikola Jokic and its not even close

Nah, he's a Duncan-like guy when it comes to media and lights. Simply doesn't give a **** about all that.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#23 » by Lalouie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:19 pm

bo8403 wrote:Nikola Jokic and its not even close

he doesn't look the part, like looks wise
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#24 » by walk with me » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:21 pm

Once Lebron retires it’ll be like the post Jordan era where there wasn’t exactly 1 face

Some felt it was tmac
Some felt it was shaq
Some felt it was ai
Some felt it was kobe
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#25 » by LakersSoul » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:36 pm

GusT15 wrote:
Lebr0nJames wrote:Whether people like it or not, we always had a player in every decade who dominated headlines and was the center of attention. The 60s it was Bill Russell and Wilt, 70s, Kareem. 80s Bird and Magic. 90s Jordan. 00s it was between Kobe and Shaq.(A.I would've been had he been surrounded with a good supporting cast.)

00s was Shaq/Kobe vs Duncan just like it was Bird vs Magic in the 80s.

2010s is LeBron.

2020s is looking like Giannis so far.

We are talking about the face of NBA.
I will be AD if the Lakers gain any real success.

AD is ready and his time is now.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,138

Post#26 » by Pelon chingon » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:43 pm

AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#27 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:47 pm

Lebr0nJames wrote:Whether people like it or not, we always had a player in every decade who dominated headlines and was the center of attention. The 60s it was Bill Russell and Wilt, 70s, Kareem. 80s Bird and Magic. 90s Jordan. 00s it was between Kobe and Shaq.(A.I would've been had he been surrounded with a good supporting cast.)

Now here we are at the end of the 2010s when headlines were dominated by Lebron James, occasionally Curry mainly in 2016. So who is the face of the league in the future?

Now, some will argue Kawhi has stepped up and became a big star when it comes to media acceptance, especially with the votes and press he got during free agency, fresh off a ship.

Giannis? He could be especially getting a jump shot.

Zion? Too soon to tell but if he lives up to the hype and put up monster stats in his 3rd or 2nd year, he'll defiently be the man who the league will plaster his face or name all over sport networks.

Somebody we don't expect or heard of? Possible. Give me your thoughts as this topic been discussed before but it never really gotten full detail from what I seen by other post similar to this.

There was no face of the NBA in the 2000s. Lots of guys were in the mix including Shaq and Kobe and AI. Vince Carter was the face of it for a bit.

I think like post Jordan there's not going to be 1 guy for a while, until we get the next MJ / LeBron.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,379

Post#28 » by WestbrookGOATed » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:52 pm

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, obviously.
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#29 » by GusT15 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:53 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

00s was Shaq/Kobe vs Duncan just like it was Bird vs Magic in the 80s.

2010s is LeBron.

2020s is looking like Giannis so far.

We are talking about the face of NBA.
I will be AD if the Lakers gain any real success.

AD is ready and his time is now.

You're 100% correct.

I misread the OP.I saw GOATs names in there and the word "dominate" and thought we're talking about who dominated the game of Bball in every decade.

If we're talking about who's gonna dominate the Skip and Stephen A. segments it's probably AD and Leonard.
Hell,LeBron was not in the playoffs and he was still dominating ESPN talking heads this year.

Also,if we are talking about media popularity surrounding bball,and not the actual sport,it's not really a thread that interests me so i'll show myself out.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#30 » by ArtMorte » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:03 pm

I hope it's gonna be Brandon Ingram just because he looks like he's high all the time.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,001

Post#31 » by jokeboy86 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:05 pm

Maybe Zion if he pans out or it will go back to being Steph. Will never be Kawhi cause he's not interested in being more visible off-the court and more quotable to the media. Giannis will never be the face of the NBA domestically not cause of the market he's in but simply cause of the foreign background and he's not interested in going to a big market or teaming up with other stars. Now he'll be the face of the NBA globally and has the potential to be the biggest NBA star globally we've ever seen cause of the european appeal and potential Africa appeal as well but here in the US, no. Zion and Barrett haven't played an NBA game yet and they already are getting as much exposure as Giannis who's an MVP and been an all-star starter for the past 3 years. What does that tell you?
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#32 » by Yogatti » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:08 pm

Ben Simmons
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,757

Post#33 » by OriginalRed » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:12 pm

Who it should be? Giannis.

Who the NBA wants it to be? Zion or AD.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#34 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:40 pm

I think it will be between Zion, Trae and Luka. 3 highly entertaining and talented players who seem to naturally get people excited. If I had to bet my money I would say Trae. I believe he’s a basketball genius, a future MVP and he’s American, which is relevant in this conversation.

AD has the charisma of a shrimp and he will not be the guy to lead a franchise to a championship. I think Giannis has a glass ceiling in terms of popularity, he will never be the « face » of the league. I just don’t see him having the same hype around him that Steph, LeBron or Kobe had, casual fans don’t seem to care all that much about him.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#35 » by Richfield » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:16 pm

Going to go back to Curry, but even stronger.

He's not even close to done doing what he's gon' end up done did.
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#36 » by likemycurryhot » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:41 pm

Rich Paul.
PackAttack9
Senior
And1: 224

Post#37 » by PackAttack9 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:43 pm

Giannis should be and is. The reigning MVP? The highest All Star vote getter? ESPN and Stephen a Smith want to push AD, Zion on us. But AD is injury prone and we have no idea who Zion will be yet.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#38 » by SeniorWalker » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:47 pm

PlatinumState wrote:Giannis can be great all he wants, he's not a household name nor will he become one in the next decade. I dont think the league would like a foreigner to be the face of the league.
Its either gonna be nobody or Zion if he lives up to the hype and gets pushed by the nba and media as much as possible.

Why would the NBA not want it to be Giannis when it has been doing everything in its power to make the game have a more global presence? The NBA has been trending towards becoming a more international game for a long time and regularly markets all over the world. Especially in the 2020s and moving forward, nothing makes more sense than to promote a more globalized game for them. And what better way than to have the NBA's first international Megastar. The NBA wants to surpass the NFL and the easiest way to do it will be to tap markets that the NFL cant. For example, the NBA has recently begun expanding its presence in Africa by promoting a new 12 team league. Think there's no marketing potential with a major NBA superstar player who so publicly and proudly declares himself African?....

On court, Giannis also has the highest potential of any active player and that shouldn't be a debate either. I'm sure Zion will be a great player but I doubt he'll peak as high as Giannis and we havent even seen Giannis's peak yet.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#39 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:50 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Anthony Davis.

He's one of the best players in the league.
He has great charisma during interviews.
He plays in LA now, where majority of media is.

Once Zion is a top 10 player then he will probably be the face.

I don’t see any real personality from AD tbh....monotone dry voice. Amazing basketball player but great charisma is s reach Imo. He’s also 27 which doesn’t fit the standard timeline of face of the nba.

Usually to be anointed to face of the league it starts very early around 23,24,25 and surrounded by a lot of hype. Zion fits that mold but his performance will dictate a lot of that.

Giannis has a real chance. Great personality and humbleness to him that doesn’t feel forced when he speaks but genuine and a great backstory to him that makes you truly appreciate his hardships and tough journey to make it to the nba.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,482

Post#40 » by Jazz9 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:56 pm

Zion if he meets the hype maybe

Otherwise I don't see anyone being as popular as guys like MJ, LeBron, Kobe & co to be called the face of the NBA.
Giannis for all the talent he has isn't nearly as popular ans honestly I don't see a foreigner being the face of the league.

Return to The General Board