ImageImageImageImageImage

14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#21 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Lin might go overseas we really need a backup in case Beverly goes down
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:25 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Lin might go overseas we really need a backup in case Beverly goes down

That the entire NBA is passing on Jeremy Lin tells you all you need to know.

Me, I just can't take the TOs. All I want from a 3rd-string PG is to take care of the ball, and one hallmark of Doc ball has been low TOs. Milos was brilliant but he was also a turnover machine and I think that's why he's out of the league too.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#23 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 pm

QRich3 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I don't want any more big men, we have Trez as the main guy, Zu as the token starter who can play up to 20 mins a game, and Mfi as the injury insurance/garbage time big that needs to be getting play time bit by bit. Plus JaMychal who'll get playing time there depending on the match up. It's already way too crowded, no room for anyone else.

Last spot should remain open for possible buyouts.

I'm cool with keeping the last spot open--but I figure that should be for the PG. I actually think with Sham, McGruder and Rome, not to mention Mann, playing at the 2, most of Lou's minutes will be at the 1. Getting 3500-3600 minutes at the point out of Lou and Bev at point shouldn't be too hard. Sham and Mann cold make up the rest of the difference

OTOH, we're still a little light at PF. If Kawhi and PG play 4100 combined minutes at forward, and Green get 400 out of, say 1850 minutes at C, that means Harkless will essentially be splitting his time between SF and PF ... and if he plays 1500 minutes (which is what I expect) and Kabengele gets a little time, we're around 600-700 short, mainly at PF.

I think I'm ok with that, Harkless played a lot of 4 in Portland, and PF's are just wings in today's NBA really, SG-SF-PF is just wings of different sizes nowadays. I'm ok with Jerome-McGruder-Harkless being that combo off the bench for any period of time.

If Bev or Lou get a long injury however (and they're old enough for it to be a worry), I'm not ok with Sham or Jerome being our main ballhandler for long stretches, I think that'd be a problem.

My concern is just math based for the SF/PF/C. Because I’m figuring on, with normal wear and occasional missed games, season minutes looking something like this:

PG: 2400
Kawhi: 2100
Trezz: 2100
Green: 1750
Zubac: 1650
Harkless: 1550
Kabengele: 300

I know we’ll go big sometimes, with PG playing at the 2, so pencil in 500 of those minutes in the backcourt. That leaves us about 500-600 minutes short.

At PG, I’m kinda seeing

Bev 1950
Lou 1700

…which leaves us about 300 short. I totally agree that the injury thing is an issue, though.

I just keep wondering if we want to wait for buyout players we want—which may or may not happen—and risk not signing anyone while potentially helpful players get snapped up. One of the most obvious low risk/high return frontcourt guys, Pau Gasol, went to a rival. Another young, useful guy at the point, Trey Burke, went to one of those teams in the championship conversation. Do we pull the trigger, or do we wait? If we go for signing someone now—does that mean one player or two?
jgustav1
Analyst
And1: 21

Post#24 » by jgustav1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:I know we’ll go big sometimes, with PG playing at the 2, so pencil in 500 of those minutes in the backcourt. That leaves us about 500-600 minutes short.

At PG, I’m kinda seeing

Bev 1950
Lou 1700

…which leaves us about 300 short. I totally agree that the injury thing is an issue, though.

I just keep wondering if we want to wait for buyout players we want—which may or may not happen—and risk not signing anyone while potentially helpful players get snapped up. One of the most obvious low risk/high return frontcourt guys, Pau Gasol, went to a rival. Another young, useful guy at the point, Trey Burke, went to one of those teams in the championship conversation. Do we pull the trigger, or do we wait? If we go for signing someone now—does that mean one player or two?

I'd rather just wait at this point and use Landry Shamet at backup PG for additional minutes. Prior to the 2018 draft he was listed as a combo guard in a lot of prospect reviews. I think he can handle the PG role better than Robinson.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#25 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

I think we have a solid 10 man rotation right now.
The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#26 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.

jgustav1 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:

I'd rather just wait at this point and use Landry Shamet at backup PG for additional minutes. Prior to the 2018 draft he was listed as a combo guard in a lot of prospect reviews. I think he can handle the PG role better than Robinson.

I pretty much agree 100% with both of you ... and I'd add in that Mann spent some time at the point with Florida State; I'd put him in at the 1 before Jerome. If we do sign someone--pretty big "if"--I think it'll be a frontcourt player. Don't think we need another backcourt player to start out the season. Things may change in camp, though.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#27 » by Vae Victus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:57 am

If Lin were smart he'd get down on his hands and knees and beg the Logo for the chance to earn the backup PG slot.

PatBev has his injury concerns, so if Lin were smart he'd know there's a chance he can sneak in a bunch of meaningful PT at PG if something were to happen to PatBev. Rebuild his value and actually contribute to a contender instead of being a bystander.

I kinda wonder if Lin and his agent reached out to the Clips, if the Clips turned him down, that's a pretty dreadful sign for Lin. Lin should just be happy getting the min and if he can at least get into a good position to MAYBE do something meaningful, he needs to leap after it.

Not to mention, if i'm Lin, i'd try to angle for a future FO position and where better to learn than the Logo if Lin impresses him enough to take him under his wing after he retires from ball. Put that Harvard degree to use post bball.

Just being around the Logo would teach any would be FO hopefuls on how to act, think, behave, analyze, etc. Utterly priceless.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#28 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am

Buyout market is the best bet. No need to rush to sign two guys just because.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#29 » by QRich3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 am

Yah the hypothetical 3rd PG I'd want would not be a guy to insert in the rotation, Bev and Lou can cover 48 minutes there, and I'm ok with Sham getting spot minutes if there if needed.

I'd want him as insurance though, if one of them or -god forbid- both get long injuries, we won't survive with Sham, Jerome or even Mann playing 20-40 minutes a game at PG.

Now it's fine to think you can just go and get that insurance guy when the injury happens, but all of the good players will be already signed by then, either in the NBA or overseas. So you'll have to pick a below replacement player and now you have a big hole in your rotation and a point where teams can attack you.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#30 » by playaloc916 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm

I'd rather give 3rd string PG duties to Mann over Lin. Lin is a borderline NBA player right now. The consensus was he was pretty bad with the Raptors, and that is even with the coach giving him a very long leash (during the regular season anyways). Seeing how little he played in the PO's, even with an injury to FVV shows how little they trust him at this point. Also, he's had like a 7-8 year career, I think the average career is about 5 years. He's had a very solid career all things considered.

Let Mann learn and play through his mistakes; I don't think we're going to go for 1 or 2 seed with some load management and recovery for PG coming up. I know it was only summer league, but Mann looked pretty good out there and showed a bit of potential.

Or, we can go digging in the G-League if absolutely necessary.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#31 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Beverly does have a notable injury history. It would be nice to have options in case he goes down to fully run team with the sets breakdown. I’m still in favor of Iggy or Dunn
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

QRich3 wrote:Yah the hypothetical 3rd PG I'd want would not be a guy to insert in the rotation, Bev and Lou can cover 48 minutes there, and I'm ok with Sham getting spot minutes if there if needed.

I'd want him as insurance though, if one of them or -god forbid- both get long injuries, we won't survive with Sham, Jerome or even Mann playing 20-40 minutes a game at PG.

Now it's fine to think you can just go and get that insurance guy when the injury happens, but all of the good players will be already signed by then, either in the NBA or overseas. So you'll have to pick a below replacement player and now you have a big hole in your rotation and a point where teams can attack you.

I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

My take from summer league was that Mann can bring the ball up. And at 6'7" [actually 6'5 1/2"], he can make himself useful on rebs and steals and D and various other dirty work.

I think it's good for a team to leave some room at the bottom [Jerome? McGruder, Shamet, Mann] for people to win minutes rather than just clog the ladder with questionable veterans.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#33 » by QRich3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:31 am

esqtvd wrote:I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

My take from summer league was that Mann can bring the ball up. And at 6'7" [actually 6'5 1/2"], he can make himself useful on rebs and steals and D and various other dirty work.

I think it's good for a team to leave some room at the bottom [Jerome? McGruder, Shamet, Mann] for people to win minutes rather than just clog the ladder with questionable veterans.

Oh yeah I'm all for leaving room in the rotation for young guys that usually don't come off the bench, that's why I don't want to add any more big men, so Mfi can get at least garbage time and get into the rotation when there's an injury. But this is different, it's asking guys that are not yet established in the league (in Mann's and Jerome's case, not sure if they'll ever be yet) to play out of position and do stuff out of their range that's pretty hard for skilled NBA veterans already. They should be getting leftover minutes that maximize their skills, playing them out of their depth is a sure way to kill their confidence and stall their development.

Mann looks like he could be a player, but he couldn't score for **** against summer league players. NBA defenders are gonna eat him alive, and if on top of that, you put him as an experiment PG... well it's not gonna be pretty. I say let the guy get into the rotation slowly, play to his strengths, and if he's good he'll get minutes at the wing. That's already more than you could ask for a rookie picked where he was.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:46 pm

QRich3 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

Oh yeah I'm all for leaving room in the rotation for young guys that usually don't come off the bench, that's why I don't want to add any more big men, so Mfi can get at least garbage time and get into the rotation when there's an injury. But this is different, it's asking guys that are not yet established in the league (in Mann's and Jerome's case, not sure if they'll ever be yet) to play out of position and do stuff out of their range that's pretty hard for skilled NBA veterans already. They should be getting leftover minutes that maximize their skills, playing them out of their depth is a sure way to kill their confidence and stall their development.

Mann looks like he could be a player, but he couldn't score for **** against summer league players. NBA defenders are gonna eat him alive, and if on top of that, you put him as an experiment PG... well it's not gonna be pretty. I say let the guy get into the rotation slowly, play to his strengths, and if he's good he'll get minutes at the wing. That's already more than you could ask for a rookie picked where he was.

Well, all I want is somebody to bring up the ball 5-10 mpg. Mann had too many TOs but a lot of them seemed to be lack of communication on what was essentially a pickup team. As for scoring, he went 12-20 from the field. Almost 6 apg, coupled with an insane 11 rpg, and I think that's useful enough for a 3rd stringer, certainly better than we got from Sindarius and Ty, who played a combined 900+ minutes for us last year.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Terance-Mann/Summary/73135

Besides, Jerry West says so. :) I'll hide behind his skirts.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#35 » by TheNewEra » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:54 pm

Mann might be ahead of Robinson in playing time
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#36 » by 50CalClips » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:12 am

What's the hold up?

Joakim Noah. Done.

We'll need more beef against: Jazz, Lakers, Bucks, 76ers

Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#37 » by Akklaim1 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:37 am

It really sucks Darren Collison retired so young. We could really use his second stint with us.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Looking at Lin 

Post#38 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:31 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Interest in Jodie Meeks? 

Post#39 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#40 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:59 pm

Sadly, it seems Meeks is done. He’s never been the same since all of his injuries

Return to Los Angeles Clippers